• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 1,007 Views, 12 Comments

No Warm Soul - WolfOblivion



Alternate universe were the still standing Mane six and other ponies have to survive.

  • ...
3
 12
 1,007

Chapter 4: |Twilight| The Chaos of Canterlot

No Warm Soul
"This is madness, we NEED to go to the badlands. It's our only choice."
Chapter 4: |Twilight| The Chaos of Canterlot

Twilight had stayed awake the full five hours of travel. She only looked out the front windows of the train, contemplating the situations currently at hoof. Rainbow and Fluttershy? At a time like this? Twilight could not help the feeling of hopelessness overwhelm her. Things were already starting to go awry, and it had only been three days since the madness started. Though she was happy for them, she couldn't help but feel like the reluctant mother who scolded her daughter for dating some pony she did not trust. It was the wrong time for this. Just the wrong time.

So Twilight sat while her friends slept, looking out of the conductor windows to watch the never ending snow flow past the train. Time seemed to be warped, looking at the sun told it had been roughly two hours since they had jumped on the train. Twilight began to feel mixed emotions of curiosity and dread as she watched Canterlot castle high up above the train tracks. What would be there, waiting for them? Twilight really didn't want to find out.

Hours passed, and soon they were making the final bend. The Canterlot train station would be coming up soon, so Twilight prepared to break. When the train was less than a mile from the stop, Twilight pulled the break with her own strength. It stalled. The train kept moving at thirty mph, and she pulled harder. Fear growing, she threw her head over the window. Of course she couldn't see the breaks.

"Ugh, their frozen!" Twilight yelled as she ran up to the center window. The stop board and train station was steadily approaching, and so was inevitable injury. If the train was going at least thirty, the engine might be totaled, or the stopper itself might give out and the train would fall off of the mountain. Twilight stood back, and worked her magic to halt the breaks. Just then, Rainbow came into the room, closing the door behind her.

"Twi, what's going on?" She asked looking out the window.

"The breaks are frozen!" Twilight shouted back, the magic beginning to amp. Something was wrong, Twilight could feel it. The magic began to falter, Twilight had lost control of it. What?! How?

Squaring her legs and knitting her brow, Twilight tried again. The magic felt solid this time, and the train began to slow. The magic withdrew again.

"Twilight, what are you doing? What's going on with you're magic?" Rainbow asked, a little bit of fear rising in her voice.

Twilight shook her head and spread her hooves again. "I don't know! This never happened before!" Twilight began to fill with anger. Why fail? Why NOW?

The stopper came ever closer, threatening the ponies aboard the oncoming train. As Twilight began to work her magic again, she finally felt the train halting. But not enough. The train head had hit the stopper, and was beginning to careen over the edge. Rainbow hovered. "I'll get Fluttershy, you teleport out!"

Twilight opened her mouth to protest, but Rainbow had already zipped through the door. Twilight slipped and fell as the train slowly slid down, now at a sixty degree angle. Twilight didn't bother standing up, she simply willed her magic to teleport her to the station. With a flash, Twilight fell yet again on the train station's concrete. Standing up, Twilight watched as the train finally tipped fully, falling into the chasm beneath it. A rainbow flew past her head and into the sky, looking up Twilight found Rainbow hold Fluttershy in the air.

After the ponies regrouped on the ground, they assessed the surroundings

Snow had been disrupted were Twilight had teleported, a pony sized hole showing from the blanket. The train station was eerily empty, no sign of life at all. Twilight looked up to the castle, afraid of what she'd truly see. The castle had been preserved though, only a thick layer of snow was covering the regal estate. Then, a flash stroke the grey cloudy sky in the color of purple. Twilight jumped as a sharp crack went through the air, causing the fur on her neck to rise.

The purple mare turned her head to look at her friends, who showed no sign of knowing towards the flash. Twilight decided to keep it to herself for the time being. Don't want to freak them out.

After a short agreeing, the trio decided to enter the city. Clearing the station, they walked out into the city plaza, looking into the frozen fountain that was situated in the middle. Twilight sat down to calm herself and to think.

Okay. So the train is out, the city is dead, and we don't know where the entrance to the facility is. To top it off, we're supposed to be meeting Wings here, and i don't trust them whoever they are.

Twilight pulled out the scroll from Wings to read it over. Using her magic, a small light emitted itself from the tip of her horn. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were walking around the fountain, inspecting the broken stone that once was viewed as art.

Three clanks sounded through the plaza. Twilight looked up to see a spear being shoved into her face. Behind it was a fully cloaked stallion with a gas mask, tilting his head as he looked Twilight over.

WHAT. Was all Twilight could muster in her mind as she scooted back with wide eyes to avoid the spear tip.

The stallion spoke through the gas mask, which surprisingly came out perfectly audible. "You are under arrest for the illegal use of magic and trespassing on the surface of Canterlot."

Twilight gasped in shock as the stallion rose his spear, and hitting Twilight with the but of it so hard that she fell to the ground; her vision fading. Before she passed out completely, she heard the snarling voice of Rainbow Dash lash out at the guards. A flash from atop the rooftops drew her gaze, yet nothing was there as she blacked out.

=-=-=-=-=

Let us out! We haven't done anything wrong!

"Dash?" Twilight called out almost to a moan. Rainbow looked back from the door she leaned on, eying the purple unicorn.

"You're awake!" Rainbow walked over to Twilight who opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling.

Twilight slowly regained her vision and thought process, sweeping her vision across the room herself and her friends were in. It was a musky, dank cement room with one mattress and a steel door.

Twilight looked at the still asleep Fluttershy, soundlessly drifting in her subconscious. "Were are we, Dash?"

Rainbow looked back to the door while Twilight stood up, holding a hoof to her pounding head.

"I would say a cell in the Canterlot facility. Canterlot castle is probably deserted, and the facility is still running, Why they took us I don't get. Something about...'illegal use of magic'? But why would magic be illegal?"

Twilight walked to the door, staring out into the dim cement hallway. "I don't know Dash, it doesn't make sense to me either."

A guard showed right up to the door and yelled inside. "Step away from the door! Your trial starts now!"

"Trial?" Twilight asked herself and nobody as she back away and the door swung open. Three guards rushed in, grabbing Twilight, Rainbow, and levitating a half awake Fluttershy up and out of the chamber. Twilight watched as they passed countless amounts of corridors, twisting and turning and going down even more. After a nauseating trip of stairs and being jostled around for what seemed an eternity, the escort guard in front of them pushed open a set of double doors to a room which made Twilight gasped.

A single platform stood out in the center of an extreme audience of unicorns. No other specie was present within the stadium sized court room, wrapping seats all around the circular room and coming to a head to a large judge bench, intimidating the entire room with it's lawful oppressiveness. The trio of ponies were thrown on to the platform, Twilight standing in front of Rainbow Dash and a now awake Fluttershy. A large crash exploded from behind the Judge's bench as a familiar blue unicorn lunged over the bench.

"This is the trial of Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy for the illegal use of magic, trespassing on the city surface of Canterlot, and the defecation of government property. And I, The Great and Powerful Trixie, am your Judge." Trixie the Judge proclaimed, slamming her gabble on the desk which caused to the audience to cheer in joyful rage.

=-=-=-=-=

Finally back from my hiatus, and sorry for taking so long to publish this. Life's been a little discordant lately.

Chapter is short because i have a lot to do as of right now, but regular publishing will start up again soon enough.

Thanks for reading!