• Published 10th Nov 2020
  • 1,278 Views, 88 Comments

Element of Harmony is Not Necessary - Zeltecrast



Nightmare Moon is not evil at all. All she want is so ponies can live strong and happy. If theres the need to play the evil role, she would gladly do it.

  • ...
2
 88
 1,278

Chapter 5

“It’s been one year, huh.” Princess Luna is sitting on the balcony. In front of her place a table with a pancake on top of it.

One year it is. Nightmare Moon enjoys her waffles. She is eating it while bathing in the hot pool.

“Yea.”

...

“...”

Isn’t this too long?

“No? What do you mean by ‘too long’?”

You know, going around absorbing nightmare?

“I rather take it slowly, though.”

Why?

“When we first absorb the nightmare from Blossom, that also means we reduce the accumulation of thought energy.”

But wouldn’t it better if we work hard first and relax later?

“I guess my answer is just because?”

‘Just because’, huh.

“Are you saying you have a better thing to do?

Maybe we could embark on an adventure.

“Adventure, huh?” Princess Luna slices her pancake and places it in her mouth.

Yea, adventure... Oh, I know! How about us as Selena work as mercenaries?

“Mercenary huh? So ponies paid us to go to retrieve some artifact or something?”

That’s it!

“Though it’s not going to be as fun as you make it sounds to be.”

Why? Nightmare Moon plays with her duck toy. Regrettably, there are no bubbles in the pool. They give up the idea of having a bubble because of the lack of color inside mind space.

“Obviously because we are a little bit, maybe too much, overpowered of a pony.”

Is that a problem?

“Really?”

You make it sounds like I’m a clueless pony.

“Because you are.”

Just tells me what makes it a problem and we will see if I am a clueless pony.

“Hmmm, I remember that smug face.”

In that case you know what it signifies.

“Surely. See, if we are overpowered, that’s means we will never encounter any uncontrollable situation.”

That was the problem?

“What? Have any more brilliant ideas?”

I thought you were going to say something like, ‘It will ruin ponies’ life.’ Or ‘we are going ruining other mercenaries because we will have one hundred percent completions.

“Lame... I was saying, even our actions will not cause any negative effect. That is how overwhelming we are.”

Okay, point accepted. No excitement for you.

“I guess let’s hear the excitement of adventuring by Nightmare Moon.”

My idea is, we just sightseeing. Oh and savor the culinary delights of the region. This is going to be so much fun!

“Ohh! That sounds fun.”

I told you. If there is legitimately no threat to us, we can solely go and sightseeing.

“I guess I’m not imagining about it that way.”

What will happen to you if you do not have me?

“I don’t know. Not adventuring at all?”

Just forgot it, Luna. I forgot you were so dense.

“I’m thinking about an exotic pancake. It is possible they will make it with chili?” Princess Luna pretending to not hear.

True, true. Just thinking of those new flavors for waffles.

Princess Luna finishes with her pancake and pondering if there any flavor she has not to taste yet. But she conceived another idea. “How about meat?”

What? Nightmare Moon genuinely surprised, practically cause her drowned. Although it’s impossible to drown in mind space, a pony will still experience it like in the real world.

“You know, meat.”

I know what meat is. But the ‘how,’ you could think about it, baffles me.

“Just admit it you want to taste it too. In addition, we need that adventuring spirit.”

Typically ponies would be disgusted by meat.

“I know, but aren’t you curious?”

I am curious how it tasted like.

“Tell you what. We are going to find meat, and when we find it you can back out. No question asks.”

Sure, I did say I was... intrigued.

“Meat it is!”

This is going to be the weirdest mercenary work ever.

“You could see the potential I see.”

Indeed, but...

“Imagine we become a legend among mercenaries because we have the highest completion rate.”

Right...

“And subsequently reveal to them that we are not indeed trying! All we desire is all the culinary delicacy!”

Please think about the merit to have made them as a contact.

“I... I guess you are right.”

Regardless, do you think we could figure out The world of the souls?

“I don’t think so, why?”

Do you think we can absorb a lost soul?

“Your thought is so dark you know.”

I know, but that would be awesome.

“That would be unethical, Nightmare Moon.”

I know, but they are depleted, souls. Most likely they are deficient enough to not reincarnate.

“One of these days I’m worried somepony that are a threat to us will try to intercept us.”

We are probably going to be fine.

“Even if we can, that would be risky for us.”

Why?

“We probably can explore the world of the soul if we out of our corporeal body.”

That is great news!

“Agreed, but that means there is a risk where you are lost forever.”

Well that's easy, just command me to come back.

“No, I make a promise to never use the absolute command ever again.”

You are so stubborn.

“Say anything you like. We are not going to do any of that anyway. Well, being a mercenary might seem like a good idea.”

You know I’m doing this for you, right?

“What you mean?”

Well, you see, my soul currently twice as big as yours.

“Okay... But I don’t think of it as a big of a deal.”

You don’t? Maybe envy even a little bit?

“Come on, you make it sounds like you never know me.”

We did share the same memories, but it’s not like I perfectly know you.

“Fair. But that makes it worse.”

Sorry, I don’t mean thinking of you lowly.

“Heh, if I don’t know you better, I would think you were earnest with that apology.”

Te-he. Nightmare Moon knocks her head while sticking out her tongues a bit. This kind of action is only possible in the mind space. Ponies can't rotate their elbow. Which in turn causes Princess Luna to rolls her eyes.

“Silly Moony. But seriously though, the only concern I have would be if you are going rouge.”

That would not happen, Luna. And moreover, if it comes to that, you can impede me right?

“No, I don’t think that would be easy.”

Why?

“Your soul is twice as big as mine. Meaning, you are twice as much raw power as I have.”

I mean, you could just use the absolute command on me.

“Oh, it always comes back to that huh? But no, it will be the last resort.”

Even if many ponies died because of me?

“I will figure out something when that happens. What about you, Nightmare Moon.”

What about me?

“Come, let me show you something.” Princess Luna walking toward a mirror in her chamber. “Now switch with me.”

Initially, there’s stood an alicorn pony with a blue coat and light blue mane. A white crescent moon symbol can be seen on her flank. But now, there’s stood an alicorn pony with a black coat and dark blue ethereal mane. This alicorn is one head higher than the former. A purple splotch surrounds her white crescent moon cutie mark. “What is it?”

When I talk about you going rouge and you answer with ‘that would not happen’, you are not being confident, right?

“Believe in me, Luna. That would never happen.”

And then you ask me about the scenario of you going rogue.

“That just me going with the flow of conversation.”

How about this, look at this mirror. You don’t look as cheerful as you used to be.

“I guess you are right, there is truly a problem.”

Tell me, so I can help you.

“No, don’t worry about it. I will handle it myself.”

The act of Nightmare Moon refusing help from Princess Luna infuriates her. All she could do is groans. Fine, come here.

Nightmare Moon retreats to the mind space. Because originally this body belongs to Princess Luna, all there stood in front of the mirror is a lifeless alicorn with a blue coat and light blue mane. Nightmare Moon rush to Princess Luna's side. They briefly nuzzle each other. All that night they spend cuddling with each other.

==================================================================

“No! This can’t be happening!” Nightmare moon suddenly wakes in the day time.

Hey, what happens? Princess Luna foreshadowing this a little while ago. Nightmare Moon consistently refuses to talk about it. Her mental health deteriorating day by day.

Princess Luna has distress on her own because ponies seem not to give her stars attention it deserves. Nothing but, she still calms because she knows Nightmare Moon requires her to support her. Or she could be just that stoic for all we know.

“No, no, no!” Nightmare Moon rampaging around. With her hoof, she destroys her bed, table, wardrobe, and mirror.

Nightmare Moon?

“What is a Princess! A protector! A leader! Or a figurehead!” Nightmare Moon shooting a laser through her horn. While the laser continuously fired, she spins two rounds. All furniture in her chamber is sliced clean in two pieces or more. Fortunately, nopony is around this time.

Hey, it's okay, I’m here.

“Haaah, I’m so sick of this!” Nightmare Moon isn't even pretending to not hear Princess Luna. She is drowned in her rage. She builds up magic energy in her horn. Reaching a certain threshold, she discharges it outside her balcony. The amounts of the magic shoot are equaled to a full reserve of one unicorn. Nevertheless, the decrease in her magic reserve is unnoticeable.

All of this commotion is noted by all the guards, including Princess Celestia. The guards rushing toward Princess Luna’s chamber. Thinking if security is breached and Princess Luna currently fighting with the enemy. However, the Princess in question has another idea.

She is reasonable enough to not kill anypony at this rate. Guess, I will wait till her rage subside. As ridiculous as currently, Princess Luna makes herself sounds, all she wants is to make sure Nightmare Moon knows that she is not her enemy. Princess Luna knows how much Nightmare Moon needs mental support.

“Sister!” Nightmare Moon shouts as hard as she can. She then smashes the chamber doorway and walks toward the courtroom.

In the corridor just outside Princess Luna’s chamber, many guards already take a position. A loud bang and door flying surprise all the guards. Fortunately, nopony is positioned at the door trajectory.

A black alicorn with leathery wings steps out of the chamber. Some say instinct represents just a memory from another sompony have in another timeline, others say it a danger perception everypony has. But this time, every guard’s instinct screams to get out of her way.

Nightmare Moon only thinking about the courtroom. She does not even notice the guards positioned outside of her chamber. Each of her steps shatters the flooring beneath.

After some time she finally reaches the courtroom. Fortunately, when she reached the doorway, her rage is lower enough to not smash the door. With a loud bang, the door swings wide open. “Hmm, she is not over here.”

Nightmare Moon walk toward the throne. Everfree kingdom is a diarchy, therefore there are two thrones. One for the solar Princes another for the lunar Princess. Nightmare moon takes a sit on the lunar throne. The guards follow Nightmare moon into the courtroom, although they maintain their distance from her.

Feeling better?

“Luna! You surprise me.”

I can’t believe you forgot about me.

“Sorry, I guess I drowned in wrath just now.”

Maybe next time you want to consider again if you want to bottle up your emotion.

“Yea, that is a sensible idea.”

So, what’s next?

“I’m not thinking that far.”

I figured that much. Just conclude your business I will consider something else.

“Hey, Luna?”

Yea?

“Thanks.”

I did say I would support you whatever happens right?

“Yes!”

Nightmare Moon?

“What?”

Please make sure our sister doesn’t know about our power.

“Why?”

Two things are possible to occur. One, our sister could react positively. She will accept us, understood we will be okay and so she is.

“How about the other possibility?”

It’s still plain weird that you are this calm after what happened in our chamber.

“Well, I utterly forgot about you. When I remember I have you, I feel like I can go through everything.”

Princess Luna blushing. Wh-wh-what! What with this sudden love declaration!

“Blushing and stuttering, I think I have a significant chance my feeling will be reciprocated.”

Anyway. Princess Luna clearing her throat to calm herself. About possibility number two, our sister will be thinking that she is frail and needs power. This will cause her to feel insecure and fragile. Which in turn will cause a problem, for her.

“And after what I just did it will close the possibility number one?”

Exactly, so be careful.

“Alright, she should not be long.”

“Luna! What is the meaning of th— Luna, is that you?”

“Speaking of the devil.” Nightmare moon then points her focus to Princess Celestia. “Indeed, this is us, your beloved little sister.”

“What's with the black coat and leathery wings?”

“Nothing but think of it as your sister undergoing that phase, where we like... edgy stuff.”

“Is that so?”

“That is so, but we believe you are here for the other thing.”

“You are summoning me by wrecking your chamber!”

“Among other things.”

“What is this ‘other thing’?”

“See sister. We are sad, and we try to express it.”

“What are you sad about? Talk to me and I will help you.”

Nightmare Moon stands up and walks leisurely toward Princess Celestia. “One year ago, give or take a few weeks, we have this... discussion so to speak. Do you remember?”

“Is this about your demand to make one day in a year where it’s all night?”

Nightmare Moon stops her walking, genuinely surprised. Recompose herself, she continues her walks. “So you did remember our demand. It has been a year since then, surely there should be news for us.”

“I... I just can’t arrange anything, pon—.“

“Ponies, ponies, ponies, ponies, ponies, ponies, ponies. We only said it seven times, and it already lost its meaning. Imagine how many times you have said the word.”

“I... does it matter?”

“The exact number itself doesn’t matter, we just imply that word is meaningless coming out your mouth. Tell us, sister, is there any rule that dictates how to represent a leader? You should try to represent a leader who colors outside the lines sometimes.”

“I know what I’m doing, Luna!”

“Maybe. An exact number of forty-seven books about leadership can be discovered inside the archive. We suggest you refer to one of them.”

“How could you be so sure there is that much book about leadership?”

“Obviously sister, we read all the books and scrolls in Everfree Kingdom’s archive.”

Nightmare Moon finally stands right in front of Princess Celestia. Princess Celestia glared at Nightmare Moon, only to earn her a lazy look. “That is impossible!”

“You could try us if you want.” Nightmare Moon turns to the right and walk. She deliberately is giving her back to Princess Celestia. Sometimes, showing one's vulnerability represents power.

“No, that is not necessary for now.”

“Indeed. Where were we? Right! Is there anymore excuse than your ponies?”

“But that essentiality it. We couldn’t manage it for now.”

“If you say so. Because you remember about our demand, you should also remember our other demand.”

“Asking to make your colony is completely ridiculous!”

“Indeed, yes. That’s the one. At that time before we conclude our discussion, we make a promise.”

“What promise?”

Nightmare Moon turns to face Princess Celestia. “That if your ponies died because you did not allow me to establish my colony we will bring you their dead bodies. Tell you what, today is your lucky day.”

“No way, are you saying that—!“ Before Princess Celestia finished her word, suddenly there is a sudden flash of light. After the flash subsides, a lifeless body of a pony can be seen.

Princess Celestia suddenly mad at Nightmare Moon, thinking she kill the poor pony. Princess Celestia hastily prepares magic to blast Nightmare Moon. But before she could discharge it, chain-shaped magic suddenly appears below Princess Celestia. The chain bound her horn and limbs. Princess Celestia groans. She underwent tremendous pain because of the feedback from the canceled magic.

“Impressive, Don’t you think? Don’t worry, sister. Our raw power is the same as you, meaning you could learn to use this spell including how to counter it. That is if you read hundreds of books about magic like we did hahahaha...”

“Did you kill this poor pony!”

Nightmare Moon walks toward princess Celestia. “I thought it was apparent. We mean, from all our conversations. You should be able to deduce who kills who. But we guess not.”

“Guards seize her!”

The guard could merely stay at their position. This makes Princess Celestia confused. She then looks at her guard and figures what happen. Each guard suffers one of their hoof bounded by a magic chain.

“There two ways to combat scarcity, our sister. One, produce more food. With more food, an accident like this, where ponies died from famishing, will not happen. Though, we all know a little too well how that is hard to do.”

“I... cannot deny that.”

“Two, we reduce their need for food.”

“But how!”

“To jog your memory a little bit, we want to bestow ponies our blessing. This blessing will reduce their need for food, which in turn will cause them to live strong and happy.”

“Then why you didn’t do it!”

“But there’s a catch. Our blessing will get dissolved if they are exposed to the sunlight.”

“Bu—!”

After she arrives in front of Princess Celestia, Nightmare Moon stares dead Princess Celestia in the eye. “That is why we need to establish our colony.”

“No! It can’t be!”

“You suspect it right.” Nightmare Moon points her hoof toward the wasted body. “It was you who kill this pony!”

“...” A tear can be seen on Princess Celestia. She has been defeated.

“After the blessing is dissolved, we can’t do much. If we could monitor her health, this would not happen. All dissolved blessing can do is giving us feedback whenever somepony has died. That is furthermore why we could pinpoint her position and transfer it here.”

“...”

“Any last word before we force you to the dungeon?”

“...”

“Don’t worry, sister. Your ponies will be safe in our care.” Unlike the usual teleportation spell, this transport spell is different. A huge circle made of magic surrounds Princess Celestia. She then slowly sinks into the floor. Another huge circle made of magic appears inside a cell in the dungeon. Princess Celestia slowly appearing inside said cell.

Nightmare Moon cancels the seal she places on each guard. As the seal becomes undone, it becomes apparent that the solar guard is split into three groups. The first group is still loyal to Princess Celestia. The second group, they are loyal to Princess Luna. The latter group, they are neutral. The name solar guard doesn’t imply that they are royal to the Solar Princess, it solely for naming purposes.

“Guards! Attack!” Straight Arrow, the leader of the group that royal to Princess Celestia issuing his command.

A dozen spells, arrows, and spear shoot toward Nightmare Moon. Another try to engage in melee combat. After the spell makes contact with its target, a thick dust cloud the entire room. “Did it work?” one of the guards asked.

“Hehe...hahahaaaahaha...” Nightmare Moon did not even construct a magic barrier to defend herself, but still, all those attacks did not even make any scratch on her coat.

“Impossible!” another guard exclaims.

“Let us tell you something, my little ponies. There is a reason why we never experienced any war with the dragons. See, the sub-species of a pony called alicorn is just too strong.”

“...What would happen to Princess Celestia?” Straight Arrow asks.

“She is not a bad pony, Straight Arrow. A leader that makes an unwise choice that causes death is not unheard of. Nothing but think of it as... temporary detention.

“...”

“Guards, you are dismissed. And also, bring with you this dead body and give her a proper burial.” One by one guard exiting the courtroom. Some of them bring boiling anger with them. Another takes their time to bow toward Nightmare Moon before exiting the courtroom.

Okay, Spill it out.

“What?”

...

“I suppose there is something I conceal from you.”

Go on.

“Another four ponies died after they had got a blessing from me.”

Oh no, is Water Lilly one of them?

“As expected, I will be going enraged if anything happens to her.”

That makes sense. How about Cherry Blossom?

“She is fine.”

That’s good.

“So what’s next?”

We will lower the sun and rise the moon.

“Oh! So that way my blessing wouldn’t dissolve, and ponies will notice your star.”

That what I had in mind. But first, you need to repair all the damage you cause.

“Hehe...hahahaaaahaha... The night... will last... forever!” With that, Nightmare Moon walks toward her chamber while fixing anything ruined along the way.

Author's Note:

Finally, at last, we are at the climax. You can expect another 3 or 4 more chapters in this story. after that would be the bonus chapter. Currently, I have 12 bonus chapters for this story. so feel free to leave a suggestion in the comment section for the goofy bonus chapter. Thank you for reading!