• Published 29th Oct 2020
  • 508 Views, 8 Comments

Sombran Lullaby - voroshilov



An enraged Celestia marches upon the Crystal Empire, where the beloved King Sombra and his allies prepare to make their final stand.

  • ...
1
 8
 508

VI. The Crystal Fire

Celestia's arrival had been heralded by a rainbow.

However, unlike the natural rainbows, which were little more than a nice feature in the sky on a rainy day, there was a physical aspect. With a furious roar, it appeared just behind the gate of the Crystal City, with purple and magenta lights appearing all around it. Some ponies had approached it, their natural curiosity demanding they at least get a closer look, though they soon found themselves wreathed in the same flickering lights.

"Magical fire," Sombra yelled, "keep everypony away from it!"

Those who came within a few metres of the lights were instantly completely engulfed in flame. It stuck to the skin and fur like a hellish glue, impossible to remove. When a pony came to assist their screaming fellow, they would quickly find themselves afflicted similarly. Within minutes, there were several dozen ponies beyond saving, with only Sombra and Doctor Glow's healing magic enough to extinguish the others - though even then covered in unhealable burns.

"Retreat," Commander De Verre cried out over the din of her surroundings, "fall back to the secondary positions. Stay away from the fire!"

They had not even engaged Celestia's army and already they were being forced to retreat. Sombra was furious with himself. He did not even have the power to defend his city, how could he hope to defeat Celestia? He forced the defeatist thoughts from his mind, he would kill Celestia - for Luna's sake and for his ponies.

"Barricades up, don't let them pass!"

De Verre had taken up the left flank of the gate, where the streets were older and at their thinnest. Her lieutenant, a blue pegasus by the name of Dust Wing, had taken the right, where the streets were wider but shorter. Sombra, meanwhile, had taken the centre, where there was only one street, which led under the Crystal Palace. It was wide but there was enough flanking buildings to hide a variety of weapons.

"Ensure the caravan north escapes," he ordered a pair of guards - hopefully he could save at least them - "Celestia may have led a trap, go quickly."

He would get out everypony he could without jeopardising the defence of the City. Most of the guards had taken up positions on the left or right of the gate, with the centre being left to the thirteen Companions and the few volunteers who could be fully equipped.

"Cobalt," he yelled to a sergeant manning a barricade behind him, "take a squadron into the palace, secure the underways."

"Yes, my King."

Hopefully the chaos didn't get anypony killed. He was fortunate, in a way, for the chaos, in that he could use it as a pretext to get ponies to either evacuate or secure evacuation routes - where they could quickly leave the City when it came to it. He would kill Celestia, yes, but that wouldn't stop her armies.

There was a general, once a lieutenant of Celestia's Solar Guard captain - who had been killed at the start of the rebellion - Sombra couldn't remember her name; but, he knew that she was brutal. Celestia had reprimanded her multiple times in the past, before the rebellion, for her less than discretionary actions. Now, though, with her mentor dead and thrust into a position of immense power, she would likely relish in the execution of Celestia's orders for the Crystal Empire. He had to make sure his ponies escaped.

The sun grew larger in the sky. Yet, it gave out no extra light. If anything, it made the land only darker. What sort of magic was Celestia using now? Another terror weapon, no doubt.

He looked up into the sky, past the rainbow crackling with lightning, up to the sun. He looked up into the sun and saw that it was black.

The most effective terror weapon, no doubt.

Sure enough, several of the volunteers were visibly shaking. Even amongst what few veteran guards he had with him there was fear.

"I know you fear," he called out, "I know you fear and I cannot blame you. But, this is a fight not for our lives, but for the lives of our families. We make our stand here, not to win, but to show the ponies of Equestria that even the fearful can resist, that even the weak can rise up and throw off those who oppress them. I will not ask you to fight, there is still time to retreat, but for those who will, we will show those who would enslave us why they call us the Iron North!"

There was a roar from the soldiers around him. All their fear seemed to melt away, if only for a second. For a moment, there was courage under the Black Sun.