• Published 28th Nov 2020
  • 517 Views, 2 Comments

Hearth's Warming Eve - Sennerazen



Fluttershy wants to be intimate with Discord, but he has been so distant lately that she doesn't think things through when she invites him to her parents' house for Hearth's Warming.

  • ...
 2
 517

2: The Hearth's Warming Plan

Fluttershy sulked over the next few days, and dragged her feet around Ponyville as she went to work and back and did her shopping and tended whatever or whoever else needed her attention. As usual, Discord was not part of her attention-seeking clientele.

"She's not doing too well," Twilight said. "Some problem with Discord, I think." She and her friends had gathered in her castle for their weekly meeting, but Fluttershy was late.

"They had a fight?" asked Applejack.

Rarity shook her head. “No, no, she thinks he’s not interested in her, probably. I mean, Discord has been rather distant lately. Do you think he has another woman?”

“How can he have another woman if he and Fluttershy aren’t even together?”

“So that’s why she’s been so mopey, huh?” Rainbow said.

Pinkie stretched across her chair. “Ugh, she’s got it bad.”

“Why’s love gotta be so complicated?” Applejack sighed.

Rarity brightened. “Do you have someone you’re looking at?”

“No,” Applejack said a little too quickly.

Fluttershy trudged into the room, head bowed and eyes down. “Hello,” she mumbled, and sat in the chair Rarity pulled out for her.

“Trouble?” Twilight asked.

She shrugged, afraid she might cry if she brought up her troubles again. "I'm a little tired."

"If it's about Discord-"

"Of course it's about Discord," Fluttershy sniffled.

“Fluttershy, you know he adores you,” said Rarity, sitting next to her. “There’s no way he’s not interested.”

“Probably just about timing,” said Applejack. “Maybe he’s just not ready.”

“But it’s been years,” Fluttershy moaned. “How many more years does he need to make up his mind?”

"Maybe five or ten years just isn't that long to him."

Fluttershy blew her nose. "Or he isn't... capable of feeling that way."

“He might feel it,” said Twilight. “Maybe he doesn’t even really understand what being in love is.”

“Boy, I can vouch for that,” said Spike, wolfing down a gem-studded gingerbread cookie.

Fluttershy gnawed on her lip. She wanted to be his girlfriend, yes, but she also wanted him. How could she bring it up? There didn’t seem to be a particularly polite way to do so without causing potential anxiety or, she thought with some horror, even disgust. Did Discord even like her that way? Was he just not attracted to her? She sighed again.

Twilight handed her a mug of cocoa with snowflake-shaped marshmallows bobbing on top. “It’s almost Hearth’s Warming, so promise me you’ll take care of yourself no matter what happens.”

“Oh, I’ll be visiting my folks,” she said tiredly. “Zephyr will be there. It will be quiet and proper like it is every year. So here’s another two days Discord and I can’t see each other.”

“Why not invite him to your folks’ place for Hearth’s Warming?” asked Pinkie, licking all the frosting off of a green and red cupcake with one swipe of her tongue.

“Hey, now, there’s an idea,” Applejack said. “Your parents at least know about him, don’t they? Have him stay with y’all so he can see what a real family gatherin’ is for the holidays.”

“With... my parents?” Fluttershy’s initial eagerness to do as Applejack suggested was replaced with worry.

“Do you think they’d mind?” asked Twilight.

“Probably liven things up, at least,” said Rainbow.

“And Hearth’s Warming can be so romantic,” said Rarity dreamily.

Applejack raised her eyebrows. “You got someone, too?”

Rarity shook her head. “I’m too busy working on my latest fashion show. But the idea of it... all snug and warm with your most beloved… ooh, it makes my heart skip.”

“Bad idea?” Twilight asked Fluttershy, disappointed.

Fluttershy’s own heart skipped at Rarity’s words, but she said, “No, but how will staying with my family give us any privacy?”

“You don’t have to stay there,” said Rainbow. “He can take you wherever you want to go. So, at night, when everyone else is asleep… I mean, it’s not like he can hide in his own realm when he’s staying with you.”

“But I don’t want him to want to hide.”

“You’re not helping,” Twilight said, glaring at Rainbow.

Rarity took over. “No one’s saying that. It will just give Discord a chance to maybe get more comfortable about… the future. With you. The family lifestyle."

“And I don’t want to scare him off, either,” Fluttershy almost gasped, clutching her chest.

“No, no, no,” said Pinkie. ”Fluttershy, the whole point is that you’ll have twenty-four hours of his company. Who cares if your family is there? You can make private time for each other if you both decide you want to, and even if you don’t you still get those 24 hours.”

Fluttershy’s nerves calmed. "Well, that's true."

"And it's the holidays, Fluttershy, and it can't hurt to ask. And if he screams 'no' at you or laughs in your face, well, at least you'll have his answer."

Fluttershy and the others were momentarily stupefied by Pinkie's words before Twilight looked down with a noisy sigh.

Feeling the twist in her middle again, Fluttershy hopped from her chair, skirting around her friends. “I think it’s a wonderful idea. Thank you. All of you. I have to write to him, right away.”

She was halfway home, speed-walking, when Discord himself appeared beside her, keeping pace. “Somewhere to be?" he asked, and she gasped and nearly ran into the lamppost right in front of her.

“Discord,” she said, catching her breath. “I was just going to write you a letter.”

“Ooh, what about?”

“Um,” she said shyly, “would you want to join me at my parents’ home for Hearth’s Warming? In Cloudsdale? I thought…”

Would I.” He grinned. “It’s about time I met your parents, isn’t it? And here, all these years I thought you might be ashamed of me.”

“Ashamed?” she squeaked, not noticing his sly eyes. “I could never be ashamed of you.”

He slung his arm across her shoulders and they walked together down the main street. “Huzzah. I feel better already. Now, what’s the plan? Speed-wrapping competitions? Pin the pipe on the snowman? Hurtling ice sculptures?”

“Um. Cocoa and talking. Baking cookies. Opening presents.”

“The present thing I can at least get behind.” He winked at her. “Of course I’ll come. I’ll be happy to.”

She covered his hand with both of hers. “Thank you. I was hoping you’d say yes.”

“Why wouldn’t I?”

She looked down. “You haven’t met my parents yet. Oh, don’t worry; they’re very nice. I’ve told them all about you. And it’s just… nice to spend the holiday with those closest to you. But I thought you might not be interested.”

“I remember a certain Hearth’s Warming Eve with lots of pudding and a winterzilla. Loved that one.”

She nudged his arm with her shoulder. “Don’t tease.”

“I mean it.”

“This time it will be calm and relaxing.” She squeezed his hand. “Thank you.”

His face lost its mischievous glint and he cleared his throat as they walked. “I’ll be on my best behavior.”

***

The day before Hearth’s Warming Eve found Fluttershy at her family home in Cloudsdale, helping her mother make cookies. Though she had brought Discord up to her family countless time before, this time it took her a while to get the words out.

“Mom? It’s all right if I invite Discord over for Hearth’s Warming, isn’t it?” She was rolling out sugar cookie dough over and over and always when she checked it was too thin and had to start over again.

“Discord? That friend of yours?”

Fluttershy nodded.

“Why, of course, dear. Your father and I have heard so much about him, it's about time, don't you think?”

“What’s this about Discord?” a new voice said, making Fluttershy jump. Zephyr Breeze strode into the kitchen, setting his suitcase on the table.

“Your sister is inviting him for Hearth’s Warming,” said Mrs. Shy.

Zephyr froze, his eyes wide, then narrow, when he looked at Fluttershy. “Discord? Seriously?”

Fluttershy placed a snowflake cookie cutter on the dough. “What do you mean?”

“He’s a god, Flutter-butter. He used to be evil. How do you know he’s not still evil?”

She pressed the cutter down, trying not to roll her eyes. “He’s not evil, Zephyr. Mom, he can come for dinner first, right?”

“I don’t see why not.”

“And he can stay in the guest house?”

Beside her, Zephyr’s eyes narrowed even further. “The guest house?”

Mrs. Shy patted his shoulder. “Zephyr, it hasn't even been used. You'll have to move out your old boxes at some point; it may as well be now."

Zephyr, alarmed, cleared his throat. “Yeah. Yeah, I’ll do that.”

"Fluttershy, dear, would you hang the mistletoe, too?" her mother asked, gesturing to the sprig of green and white on the far end of the table. "Between the living and dining room, perhaps?"

Nodding, Fluttershy took it and the stepladder and hung it with a thin red ribbon and a tiny nail. It took a while to get it perfectly centered, but when she had finished she felt the entire space looked far more festive than it had minutes before.

She returned to cookie-cutting, almost whistling. How could she not have come up with such a clever plan on her own? Never had she felt more grateful for her friends. Whether Discord wanted her or not wouldn't be so terrible, if he actually didn't mind spending time with her family to spend more time with her. She glanced at the mistletoe, fighting what she felt would be a rather ridiculous grin.

***

The morning of Hearth's Warming Eve dawned calm and clear, and Fluttershy fidgeted and paced and lost herself in daydreams as she tended her animals. So impatient for the evening to arrive, she held Angel tightly and stroked his ears over and over so that he eventually gave up and kept them down. When Discord appeared at her side at exactly five o'clock, she nearly jumped out of her skin.

“I’m ready,” he said, grinning.

Her belly flipped and snagged, like a fish hook trying to reel her in, when she saw his smile, and she swallowed hard. “Perfect timing.”

“As always.” He pulled out a lawn gnome that looked like a half rabbit, half bat with a little pink hat.

“What’s that for?”

“A gift,” he said, incredulous. “Isn’t it proper form to give a holiday gift to the host and hostess? Especially when said host and hostess are the parents of your one, truest friend?”

“It is,” she admitted, trying not to laugh. “I like it, really. I know they will, too.”

Discord snapped his fingers and they appeared just outside the Shy home, decorated with wreaths and garlands.

Fluttershy was surprised to feel nervous, but knocked on the door, which her father immediately opened.

“Fluttershy,” he said, hugging her.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming,” she said, returning his hug.

“And this must be Mr. Discord,” Mr. Shy said, grabbing Discord’s hand and shaking it vigorously.

Discord tried to keep up with the shaking. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Shy.”

“We’ve heard all about you from our little Fluttershy. Come in, come in.”

As they stepped through the doorway, Fluttershy brushed her fingers against Discord’s in what she hoped was a reassuring gesture.

Inside, the house was warm and cozy, with a low, crackling fire in the fireplace and the scents of cookies and mulled cider in the air. Her mother joined them in the living room from the kitchen wearing a ruffled red apron and carrying a plate of sugar and gingerbread cookies. Pinkie's sweets had already arrived and were the most beautiful of the display.

“Welcome,” she told them, setting the plate on the coffee table. “Please, sit down.”

Fluttershy hugged her mother before saying, “Mom, I’d like you to meet Discord. Discord, this is my mom.”

Discord lurched back to his feet and half-bowed. “Nice to meet you, Mrs. Shy.”

“Oh, it’s so nice to finally meet you. We’re so happy to have you. Fluttershy talks about nothing else.”

Discord brightened, glancing at Fluttershy, and sat back down before holding out the lawn ornament.

"Oh will you look at that," Mrs. Shy said, taking the rabbit. "Why, this will go perfectly with my flowers in the back. The colors are perfect. What a kind gesture. Isn't it, Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy felt herself blush and nibbled on a gingerbread cookie shaped as a wreath to keep herself from saying something stupid.

“So, what is it you do, Mr. Discord?” Mr. Shy asked, joining his wife on the sofa.

Fluttershy coughed, but Discord said, “I study magic.”

“Ah, like Twilight,” Mrs. Shy said, nudging Fluttershy. “You must study very hard; we haven’t been able to meet you until now.”

“I- yes.” Discord took a sugar cookie and stuffed it in his mouth. “Very hard.”

“How long have you known each other now?” asked Mr. Shy.

Discord looked at Fluttershy, at a loss, and Fluttershy said, “About seven years.”

“Oh, Fluttershy, really,’” her mother admonished. “You should have had him over years ago.”

But we weren’t quite… Fluttershy looked at Discord, who was eyeing another cookie. "I should have, we just..."

Mr. Shy poured Discord and Fluttershy cups of spiced tea. "That's all right," he said amiably. "Everyone's busy this time of year. You must be, with chaos magic and all."

"Terribly," said Discord, sipping his tea.

“Hey," a new voice called from the bottom of the stairwell. Zephyr walked in a moment later. "Mom, dad, sis, I…” His exuberance was replaced with suspicion when he saw Discord. “This the guy?”

“Yes,” said Fluttershy. “Discord, this is Zephyr, my younger brother. Zephyr, Discord.”

“Charmed,” Discord said, standing again to shake Zephyr’s hand.

Zephyr’s response was cool, and he looked Discord up and down. “Just how tall are you?”

“Zephyr’s apprenticing at a salon in Manehattan right now,” Fluttershy said quickly. “How is that going?”

Zephyr moaned and flopped onto an armchair. “You wouldn’t believe what I put up with. Hey, mom, can I have some cocoa or something? With a straw? And some of those little marshmallows? And some sprinkles. I’m beat.”

Mrs. Shy left them to work in the kitchen and Mr. Shy took over the conversation.

"How is it you and Fluttershy met again?" he asked amiably, testing the temperature his mug of whip cream-topped cocoa.

"I was a guest at her house for a day when I ... really needed a place to stay."

"She is thoughtful, isn't she? And how do you celebrate Hearth's Warming? Have you any family?"

Discord struggled to find answers that were both at least somewhat true while not potentially frightening.

"You don't, do you?" Zephyr said.

Fluttershy shot him a dark look. "Wouldn't you like a cookie?" She held the plate out for him. "Or several?"

"I don't really celebrate Hearth's Warming where I come from," Discord finally said.

"And where is that?"

Fluttershy coughed; hadn't her parents gone to school? Didn't they know anything about Equestria's history? She had assumed, when she first told them about him, years ago, that they would have heart attacks about her association, but they were, as always, only mildly intrigued.

Zephyr, however, could be counted upon. "The Realm of Chaos? Isn't that right?"

"Oh, my," Mr. Shy said pleasantly. "How interesting. Is it much like Equestria?"

Fluttershy and Discord exchanged brief, startled glances before Discord said, "N-not really."

"Well, we're glad to have you. Our daughter is so happy to know you, and anyone that makes her happy is worth having around, don't you think?"

"I... of course."

"Realm of Chaos," Mr. Shy mused. "It sounds so exotic."

"Nah," Discord said, then glanced at Fluttershy, surprised by his own words. "Er. Well, it is. But not- not that exotic."

"Is everything in your life chaotic? What does that mean, exactly?"

Discord looked ready to panic, but said, "No, no, no. Chaos, it's... more of a title."

Oh, not like that, you big ham! Fluttershy thought with a silent groan, but tried not to laugh.

"Oh, I see. Well, if you'll excuse me, I'll go give your mother a hand," her father said, standing up, and left them in the living room.

Discord exhaled. "I feel like I'm being interrogated."

"'Cause you are," drawled Zephyr.

"How can you laze around here when mom is working for you in the kitchen?" shot Fluttershy. "You could have at least offered to help."

"I don't get the snap treatment like you two do; it took hours of planning to get here, and hours of travel, too."

"You got here two days ago. And that doesn't mean you can take it out on us. Honestly. I'll be back in a minute," she said, and entered the kitchen.

Zephyr sat up. "All right. Why are you here, really? Is she pregnant?"

Discord choked and spat out his tea, but couldn't form coherent words before Zephyr spoke again.

"What do you want with her?" He raised his eyebrows. "I mean, besides the obvious."

"She invited me here."

"After the family fortune?"

Discord was briefly agape before frowning. "I don't even need money; I can make as much of it as I want."

Zephyr's expression didn't change. "Futtershy and I may have our differences, but I can't let a creep like you murder her-"

"Murder?"he gasped, then cocked an eyebrow. "Meaning you'd let a non-weirdo murder her? What kind of brother are you?"

"All right, not murder, then... but the other thing I just can't bring myself to believe. You don't... have designs on her, do you?"

"Designs?"

Zephyr squinted, his shoulders hunched as if he could hardly allow himself to consider the words he said. "You're not planning to... do things, are you?"

"We're not lovers!" he cried, then covered his mouth with his hand, glancing at the kitchen doorway. "It's none of your business, anyway. Don't you have a salon to desecrate?"

"Every year I ask her what she sees in you and every year all she ever says is you're 'a dear', whatever that means. My parents don't have the backbone to tell you off, but I do."

"Why? We're just friends." Fluttershy had built up the kindness of her family so much, he was at a loss for how to deal with Zephyr Breeze.

"That's how it starts, see, but-"

"Zephyr." Fluttershy had retuned. "Stop. Discord is our guest. I'm sorry," she added to Discord, sitting next to him. "He pretends to be protective of me, but really he's just insecure."

"I'm not going to murder you," Discord almost cried, and she was too flabbergasted to respond. "Your brother thinks I'm going to murder you."

Zephyr jumped to his feet, opening his mouth to protest when their parents returned. Mrs. Shy handed over Zephyr's nauseating concoction and Mr. Shy said, "It's almost time to for dinner, anyway. Why don't we sit at the table?"

Fluttershy looked between Discord and her brother as they went en masse to the dining room.

"I am not trying to murder you." Discord's desperate whisper only reached Fluttershy's ears.

"Of course not. Just ignore him." She brushed her fingers against his as she stepped around him and forced her eyes straight ahead as they passed under the mistletoe. Though she would not have minded jumping into his arms at that very moment, having her entire family witness such a display would not do.

She gave one more furtive glance at Discord before sitting at the table and turning her mind to the feast.