• Published 10th Jun 2020
  • 1,897 Views, 49 Comments

Coming Out - Melody Song



Sandbar, Gallus, Smolder, and Ocellus decide to come out to those closest to them.

  • ...
11
 49
 1,897

...To the Leader of the Lovebugs

Ocellus took a shaky breath before staring at the door. Smolder placed a comforting claw on her back. The door they were standing in front of led to the throne room, they had learned that Thorax was there, with Pharynx.

"You nervous?"

"Not at all. It's only the leader of my hive, who took me under his wing, wants me to be a royal advisor one day, and is counting on me to make the changelings proud-"

"Celly!" Smolder lifted Ocellus' chin. "Breathe."

Ocellus took a few deep breaths, then sighed. "Sorry Smoldie..."

"It's okay. Just calm down." Smolder stroked Ocellus' neck, and she sighed happily. "Listen, Celly, I know it's probably really intimidating, but you've said yourself that Thorax isn't like other leaders."

"Y-Yeah... but-" Ocellus was cut off as the dragon looked her in the eye.

"And didn't you say that Thorax is really open about this stuff?"

"Y-Yeah..." Ocellus mumbled

"Mhm. I think I know how to calm you down before this."

"Sm-Smolder, we're in public-"

"Not that." Smolder chuckled "I know how you feel about it."

"Then what?"

Smolder placed a claw on her shoulder. "Tell me something that you've heard about Thorax. Like a rumor, a not-so-secret secret he told you. Anything."

"Why?" Ocellus blinked in confusion.

"It'll calm you down to remember something about Thorax that makes him seem a little more real. Not like a ruler, just another creature."

Ocellus paused, then giggled. "Where did you hear about this working?"

"Heh... well, the dragons used to use it as more of a means of making fun of the current Dragon Lord behind their back. But I told Silverstream about the tradition and she suggested it could be used to make larger-than-life leaders seem a little more like the creatures they are. Not Gods or Goddesses or anything, just themselves."

Ocellus smiled and nuzzled against her. "I don't think you've ever been that eloquent before, not unless we were having a tea-"

"Shh!" Smolder covered her mouth with a claw, blushing.

"Okay, okay." Ocellus moved Smolder's claw. "Sorry Smolder."

"It's okay. Just tell me something about Thorax. Or maybe Pharynx. Ooh, or both."

Ocellus giggled and nodded. "Well, there's a, um... there's a rumor going around that Thorax has a... oh, no, that's too embarrassing for him..."

"Come on, you can tell me."

"Okay..." Ocellus rose into the air with her wings, then whispered into Smolder's ear. "There's a rumor going around that Thorax has a plushie of Ember hidden in his room."

Smolder blinked. "As in, Dragon Lordess Ember? No way!"

"Shh!" Ocellus giggled "Yes, as in your leader. And I know for a fact that..." Ocellus lowered her voice again "Well, that Pharynx has a black and purple dragon plushie named Night Fury."

Smolder snickered "The great General of your hive has a little plushie?"

"I don't think that's any different from the big and strong dragoness enjoying wearing dre-" Ocellus was cut off by a flustered yelp from Smolder. "Okay, okay. Well, yeah. I'm not sure if Pharynx gets any use out of it, but I was the one who gave it to him on Hearth's Warming so I at least know that he has it."

Smolder giggled "That's definitely something that makes them seem more like normal creatures."

"Heh, yeah..." Ocellus looked back at the door. "Okay... I'm ready."

Smolder smiled down at Ocellus. She smiled back, took a deep breath, then pushed the door open.

The two walked in to see King Thorax lounging on his throne, Prince-General Pharynx sitting stoically at the foot of the relaxed leader's throne. Thorax sat up as they entered, beaming.

"Ocellus! Pharynx told me you and your friend were visiting!" He stood and leapt off the oak throne, trotting to them. "It's Smolder, right?"

"Uh, yeah. That's me." Smolder replied, somewhat surprised he'd remembered her name. He smiled back.

"Heh, Ember has told me a lot about you."

Remembering what Ocellus had said about his plushie of the dragon, Smolder bit back a snort of amusement at the statement. "Really?"

"Of course. She's very proud of you for representing the dragons so well." Thorax said with a slight blush. He then turned to Ocellus. "Have you gotten to talk with your parents?"

"We just came from visiting them, actually." Ocellus said, a bit nervously. "And, well, we talked with them about something that I wanted to also share with you."

"Of course. You can tell me anything, Ocellus." Thorax smiled at her fondly, as Pharynx stood and trotted over to join them.

"W-Well... it's kind of big..." Ocellus looked at Smolder, who smiled back. "See, um, the thing is... Smolder and I... we're..."

"You're dating, aren't you?" Pharynx asked bluntly. Thorax turned to glare at him.

"Pharynx!"

"What? It was obvious!"

"At least give them a chance to tell us themselves!"

"Wait, you knew?" Smolder asked, blinking in surprise. The brothers turned back to them, Thorax smiling sheepishly and Pharynx giving them a deadpan stare.

"Well, Pharynx mentioned to me that you both had a strong taste of love coming off you, and it was dark chocolate. That's what he tastes when he witnesses romantic love."

"Him specifically?"

"Right, I forgot to mention it." Ocellus looked over to Smolder "Each changeling tastes different types of love a little differently. Romantic love may taste like dark chocolate to Pharynx but it tastes different for everyling else."

"Oh." Smolder then glared at Pharynx. "So you tasted us?"

"It's not like I chose to. It was practically coming off you in waves." Pharynx retorted

"Heh, Pharynx relayed this information to me and I sort of figured that's why you told him you were here specifically to talk with your family and myself."

"Oh..." Ocellus blushed. "So... you're okay with it?"

"Of course!" Thorax beamed "This is wonderful, I know you probably don't want to think of it as a way to strengthen relationships between our two species but it really is! Not to mention how fantastic it is that you've found someone to love!"

Pharynx rolled his eyes at Thorax's antics as the king began prancing on the spot. He locked eyes with them, pointed at Thorax, then faked a gagging fit. Thorax stopped and glared at him, to which he tried to look innocent.

"I'm just glad you're happy, King Thorax." Ocellus said, blushing as she pressed against Smolder.

"Yeah yeah, now that that's out of the way..." Pharynx stepped forwards with a sharp gaze. "You. Are you going to let any harm come to Ocellus?"

"U-Uh, no...?"

"Are you asking me or telling me, kid?"

"T-Telling you?"

"Pharynx, please, there's no need to-"

"Well you aren't going to do it, and Oculus is always too busy griping about my patrol strategies to remember to do this." Pharynx replied, turning and glaring at Smolder. "So, are you going to let any harm come to Ocellus?"

"N-No sir!"

"Pharynx..." Ocellus groaned, her face matching Thorax's in identical expressions of exasperation. Pharynx ignored both of them.

"What's her favorite food?"

"Wh-What?"

"Ocellus' favorite food. What is it?"

"Uh...she really likes chocolate, but her favorite food is probably fruit salad."

"Favorite book?"

"That would have to be either Equestrian Cultures and Camaraderie or Dancing in the Stars."

"Favorite type of music?"

"Classical or love songs."

Pharynx nodded, then turned to Ocellus.

"Fire rubies, The Duke and the Tailor, and heavy metal." she told him before he could open his mouth.

Pharynx hesitated, then nodded. "Okay." he then turned back to Smolder. "But I'm warning you... if you ever hurt her I will personally hunt you down and make sure no one finds the bod-"

Pharynx was cut off by Thorax pulling him backwards. "Pharynx!"

"What? I'm just doing my job!"

"But you-"

"It's an empty threat and you know it! It's only to make sure she keeps her word!"

"Pharynx!"

"Um... King Thorax?" Ocellus asked, and the two stopped their bantering.

"Sorry about that Smolder." Thorax said, but Smolder waved a claw dismissively.

"Nah, it's actually not that different from what I've seen a couple dragon parents do-and they say that stuff in public. It just caught me by surprise."

Pharynx smirked at his brother, who rolled his eyes.

"Alright, if you're sure..."

"Yeah, it's fine." Smolder assured him.

"We were actually going to, um, head to the Dragonlands to tell Smolder's family."

"Oh! Well, don't let us keep you waiting." Thorax reached and gave Ocellus a hug. "We've all missed you though Ocellus, I hope you'll be back soon."

"We were probably going to come back to spend the holidays here." Ocellus agreed with a small smile.

"We'll look forward to it." Thorax said with a smile. "But I thought the dragons had their own traditions, Ember mentioned something about a Feast?"

"The Feast of Fire's kind of dull, honestly. Just sitting around listening to stories. I'm kind of numb to being scared by some of the dumb ones the other teenagers come up with."

"Well, alright then." Thorax smiled and waved as they made to leave.

As they headed out, Ocellus had them stop so she could say goodbye to her parents and siblings, then they headed out. Smolder noticed the bright smile on her face, seeing how happy she was. Once they were out of the hive, Smolder picked up her girlfriend-making her squeak in surprise-and took off.

"So, that go better than you expected?"

"Yeah... I was kind of worried how they would react to me dating a dragon but that went so well!"

Smolder chuckled and held her closer. "Think this'll give you confidence when you meet my parents?"

Ocellus' eyes widened. "O-Okay, but... how big are they?"

"Eh, not that big... I mean, they're nowhere near Torch's height..." Smolder said dissmissivly.

"Eep!"

"I promise, they'll love you. My mom's pretty cool about this stuff." Smolder assured her.

"Okay then..." Ocellus nestled against Smolder, giggling. "I think I could get used to you carrying me, Smoldie."

"Then I guess I had better get used to carrying you." Smolder responded, kissing Ocellus gently on the forehead. She giggled again as they flew towards the train station in the distance.

Author's Note:

"Dancing in the Stars" is a reference to a book called "Over the Moon" by Natalie Lloyd and "Duke and the Tailor" is a reference to "The Prince and the Dressmaker" by Jen Wang-it's going to be mentioned again in a later chapter. Hope you liked this chapter, next one will be out soon!

~Melody Song