• Published 15th Apr 2020
  • 424 Views, 3 Comments

Night at the Spring Dance Hall - Split Scimitar



Crystal Prep, with a new principal, takes their Spring Dance up another notch.

  • ...
 3
 424

Overture: Cadance’s Interview

“Hello?”

“Hi Max, this is Cadance. How are you doing?”

“Oh, I’ve been well. Just a bit busier than usual. How are you?”

“I’m doing well also.”

“That’s good. How can I help you?”

“I have a job interview in Sacramento. Can I charter you?”

“What day would you like me to show?”

“Can you come in… two days?”

“Can be done. How much are you planning to bring cargo-wise? Any baggage?”

“One suitcase plus a carry on at most.”

“But not like a car or anything, no? You can rent from me or I can add a driver service, or you can bring your car with you.”

“Oh! I guess I can rent a car from you.”

“Okay. What kind of car would you like? Economy, full-size, midsize, luxury?”

“Oh, just send me with the cheapest one you can.”

“Alright. Do you have lodging in Sacramento?”

“I do.”

“Perfect. I’ll make my way to Anchorage then. I’ll collect other information when we meet.”

“Perfect. Thank you so much! I’ll see you soon.”

“See you soon, bye!”

“Joshua departure, Boeing 8600F, IFR to Anchorage.”

“Boeing 8600F, cleared to Anchorage airport via as filed. Maintain 12,000. Departure this frequency, squawk 4212.”

“Cleared to Anchorage via as filed, 12,000, departure 24.55, squawk 4212, Boeing 8600F.”

“Boeing 00F, readback correct, void in 30 minutes. Talk to you on the go.”

“00F.”

Takeoff thrust set.

80 knots.

V1

Rotate.

V2

Positive rate, gear up.

Flaps up.

“Joshua departure, Boeing 8600F off Victorville, 3,200 for 12,000, turning direct HELDE.”

“Boeing 8600F, Joshua departure, radar contact 2 miles Southwest Victorville. Cleared direct Palmdale, climb and maintain 14,000.”

“Direct Palmdale, 14,000, 8600F.”


“Boeing 8600F, descend via the WITTI Four arrival, expect runway from tower, runway change in progress. Contact Anchorage approach on 118.6.”

“WITTI Four, 118.6, 8600F.” “Anchorage Approach, Boeing 8600F on the WITTI four.”

“Boeing 8600F, Anchorage approach, Roger.”

As I get ready to begin descending, I quickly use the bathroom and secure cabin before taking full manual control on a visual to runway 15. Calm winds allow for full simultaneous takeoffs and landings just like San Francisco, a program that is in its early testing here in Anchorage.

“N8600F, welcome to Anchorage. Continue all the way to the end, hold on the threshold. Traffic inbound on the ILS for 7R.”

“Hold on the numbers for runway 33, 8600F.”

“FedEx 14, runway 7R, cleared to land.”

“Cleared to land 7R, FedEx 14.”

The aircraft, a 777F, touches down gracefully and settles onto its struts, sinking to its lowest just as they roll past me, reverser doors, spoilers, and flaps wide open.

“Boeing 00F, K E, hold short runway 7L.”

“K E, short of 7L, 00F.”

“Polar 736, runway 7L, cleared for takeoff. Turn right heading 110.”

“Cleared for takeoff 7L, 110, Polar 736.”

As the 747 Freighter roars past, the wing-flex feels oddly poetic with Cadance being my current client (though maybe it would make more sense with either Sol or Celestia). Nevertheless, soon after I receive further taxi instructions, I race over to their house and collect Cadance. Shining is on duty at the base, so Flurry Heart has to travel with her. Having an airplane all to herself will come in handy, especially if her daughter, based on my previous experience, wants to wander about the cabin.

For obvious reasons, I warn her, we should probably run a closed-door cockpit, which means I have to teach Cadance both how to call the flight deck and in case of emergency, open the door.

Calling the flight deck is easy, just pick up the phone and press 1. Opening the cockpit door however can be a bit of a dance. On the ground, it’s just a simple keypad entry. In flight, it’s another story. Basically, if the door is closed, anyone who wishes to come in has to call the flight deck, then enter the code on the keypad. Immediately after, I have to hold a switch as they simultaneously enter the code. It’s because of this dance that if anyone wants to enter, usually I just have them call the cockpit and I open the door from my side, and so that I don’t give away the code.

I trust Cadance understands the proper usage, and will likely be too busy tending to her daughter than interested in sitting in the cockpit. Nevertheless, once all aboard and set, we set off for Sacramento.


Because no one else is available, I am tasked with babysitting Flurry Heart. Since she’s quite a bit older now, I can do more things than simply let her crawl around. She has toys that she likes to play with, so I oblige her as much as possible but give her free reign, since despite her age, she’s actually pretty sharp.

Cadance will spend two nights here, tonight and tomorrow night, before returning home. Since her interview is tomorrow, I’m on babysitting duty for at least that time. The extra night is for Flurry Heart’s sake, and for her own peace of mind so Flurry Heart isn’t too overwhelmed by the flights.

Her tentative plan should she get hired is to find an apartment for the academic year, but otherwise remain in Anchorage. As for Flurry Heart, she should only be affected minimally. With Shining Armor accruing enough seniority, he can take more time off now. Obviously, she will miss her mother from time to time, even for someone who is still a baby child. That’s where I come in, obviously.

Next morning, after Cadance knocks on my hotel room door, I head to their room to begin my care of Flurry Heart. Fortunately, since her interview is in the mid-morning, we’ve all gotten a good amount of sleep. In fact, when I’m summoned to the other room, the baby is still asleep.

“Okay.” She says as she smooths out her hair and suit.

“Oh, hang on. Flared collar in the back.” I say as I fix it for her. “Now we’re good. Here’re the keys. Best of luck to you.”

“Thanks Max. Shining Armor should be in touch. I imagine he’ll want to FaceTime to see Flurry Heart.”

“He should communicate with me directly then.”

“I told him to do so. I just hope he remembers the time difference.”

“Eh, it’s only 1 hour.”

*Shining Armor would like FaceTime*

“Speaking of…” I say as I answer, propping up my phone against the wall.

“Hey Max!” He calls. “How’s my little baby?”

“She’s actually still asleep. Your wife however is just about to leave for the interview.”

“Oh good. I wanted to talk to her real quick, but… it is kind of personal.”

“No problem. I’ll get out of your way.”

As they make what I’m sure is a last-minute pep talk, Cadance hands my phone back to me.

“He said he might call back in an hour.”

“Okay. Best of luck to you (again)!”

“Thanks Max!”

A few hours later, after I’ve basically been holding Flurry Heart for most of the time, Cadance returns to the room to the sight of Flurry playing with her blocks, but her Whammy is right in front of me. Apparently, she gets mad if I move it, but at the same time, she’ll also get mad if I leave my “command post.” I’m figuring, she wants me to watch over her? Him? It? I should at least be a gentleman.

“Welcome back. You’ll be pleased to know she hasn’t needed a change nor has she even cried. She’s kept herself busy with her toys and making sure I don’t leave Whammy unattended.”

Cadance chuckles. “That’s a game she makes her father play whenever she’s playing.”

“Aw. Sweet.”

“Oh! Shining Armor’s calling.” She says answering the call accompanied by FaceTime sound effects.

“Hi honey!”

“How’d it go?”

“Pretty well. I should expect a response in two weeks’ time.”

“What are you going to do now?” Shining asks as I offer Cadance the watch position with Whammy.

She asks me to hold her phone while she takes her jacket off. She then takes her phone back, plops onto the bed, and puts their daughter in the picture.

“How much was this hotel?” I ask at a break in conversation.

“$220 a night.”

“Do you want to leave tonight? I’ll reimburse you.”

“No, that’s alright. I don’t want Flurry Heart to fly too quickly. Just in case she can’t equalize pressures.”

“I understand. Do you need me for anything else?”

“No, everything is good. Thank you.”

“No problem. If you need me, I’ll be in my room.”

“Okay, we can go and eat later if you want.”

“Just let me know.” I say as I head out.

Next morning, the three of us check out and have breakfast before driving back to the airport. Flurry Heart, bless her heart, did not want to sit still, so while I ended up eating at the table, Cadance spent most of the meal trying to keep her from wandering off.

With plenty of leftovers, we board and get situated for the return journey to Anchorage. Because of the prior circumstances, I unfortunately have to snap the streak and conduct a closed-cockpit flight quite literally For The First Time in Forever.

Two weeks later, I receive a call from Cadance.

“Hello?”

“Hi Max, Cadance. How are you?”

“Good, you?”

“I’m proud to say I got the job.”

“Congratulations!”

“Thank you! I need to report before May, so can you help me move?”

“Absolutely. How much do you plan on taking?”

“Nothing major outside of necessities. Just a few pieces of home.”

“Okay. Are you going to ship your car?”

“Yes.”

“With me, I assume?”

“Yes please.”

“Perfect. I can be in Alaska by tomorrow morning.”

“See you then!”

“Okay, bye.”


“Joshua departure, Crystal Prep 1, IFR to Anchorage.”

“Crystal Prep 1, cleared to Ted Stevens airport via as filed, climb and maintain 12,000, departure this frequency, 124.55, squawk 7214.”

“Cleared to Anchorage as filed, 12,000, 124.55, squawk 7214, Crystal Prep 1.”

“Crystal Prep 1, readback correct, void in 10 minutes, talk to you on the go.”

“Wilco.”

Takeoff from runway 21, flaps 10 instead of 5 and a rolling technique to practice short field operations. (Flaps 15 for runways less than 6,000.’)

80 knots.

V1

Rotate.

V2

Positive rate, gear up.

Flaps up.

“Joshua departure, Crystal Prep 1 off Victorville, 2.8 for 12,000.”

“Crystal Prep 1, Joshua departure, just in time. Radar contact 2 Southwest Victorville, turn right direct Palmdale, climb and maintain 12,000.”

“Position checks, direct Palmdale, 12,000, Crystal Prep 1.”

“Crystal Prep 1, contact Los Angeles Center, 126.35.”

“26.35, g’day, Crystal Prep 1.” “Los Angeles Center, Crystal Prep 1, 7,300 climbing 12,000.”

“Crystal Prep 1, LA Center, roger. Be advised, Anchorage will be in a flow situation by your scheduled arrival due to limited staff protocol.”

“Roger, Crystal Prep 1.”


“Anchorage approach, Crystal Prep 1, level at FL380.”

“Crystal Prep 1, Anchorage approach. Looks like you’re a few minutes early. Expect runway 7R, standby for hold instructions. For now, descend and maintain FL300.”

“FL300, Crystal Prep 1.”

“Anchorage International Airport information Kilo, 1905Z, wind variable at 4, visibility 8, Sky condition, overcast 6,000, temperature -3, dewpoint -9, altimeter 29.91. Visual runway 7L and ILS runway 7R in use. Landing and departing runway 7L and runway 7R. All aircraft contact clearance delivery prior to taxi. All aircraft read back hold short instructions. Advise on initial contact you have information Kilo.”

“Crystal Prep 1, hold west of TWIGI at FL240, proceed direct to the Kenai VOR. Expect further clearance at 1925Z.”

“Direct Kenai, hold west of TWIGI, FL240, EFC 1925, Crystal Prep 1.”

Airspeed set at 265 in preparation for hold entry. Descend and maintain FL240, time now 1907Z.

“Alaska 192, cleared ILS runway 7R approach, maintain 2,000 until established on the localizer, contact Anchorage tower on 118.3.”

“Cleared ILS 7R, 2,000 until established, tower 18.3, Alaska 192.”

*Cadance - message*

“Hey Max, we’re ready when you are. How far away are you?”

“Hopefully no more than an hour. The fog’s rolling in, so I hope we can get out before it gets too severe.”

“Likewise.”

“I’m descending now, so hopefully I can get us going quickly.”

“Keep me posted.”

“Will do.”

“Anchorage, Crystal Prep 1 is established at TWIGI.”

“Crystal Prep 1, roger. For planning purposes, new EFC 1930, you’re currently number 3. Descend in the hold, maintain 4,000. Report level at 4,000.”

“1930Z, 4,000 in hold, Crystal Prep 1.”

Speed now to 200 knots, descent as fast as practicable, around 2400 fpm.

“Dynasty 5148 heavy, maintain 190 knots on the arrival procedure, traffic a 737 inbound.”

“Slowing to 190, which aircraft is it, Dynasty 5148 heavy?”

“5148 heavy, traffic 2 o’clock, 5 miles, 12,000 descending.”

“Not yet in sight on TCAS, but we’ll expect them soon, 5148 heavy.”

“Roger. Crystal Prep 1, I want to get you in ahead of a 747. Proceed direct Kenai, descend and maintain 2,000, cleared ILS runway 7R approach.”

“Direct Kenai, 2,000, cleared ILS 7R, Crystal Prep 1.” “ILS 7R into Anchorage. Primary navaid I-ANC localizer on 111.3, approach course inbound 074°, 12,400’ of runway available, touchdown zone elevation 132, airport elevation 151. Kenai VOR transition, remain at or above 2,000 until established on course inbound to ELIAS. Once inside ELIAS, descend to no lower than 1,600 to WEWWO, glideslope intercept is TULLI at 1,600, follow glideslope down to ILS minima of 332 and 1800 RVR. Missed approach point intersection of glideslope at 332. Missed approach procedure, climb 600 then climbing right turn heading 230 to intercept Anchorage (VOR) radial 210 to JUKEP and hold. If we intercept glideslope before TULLI or 1,600, we can follow it down. Approach brief complete.”

There’s the Kenai VOR, turn left to intercept radial 008 to ELIAS.

Level at 2,000, set flaps 5.

“Crystal Prep 1, contact Anchorage tower now on 118.3.”

Turning course inbound, set flaps 10.

“Over to tower, thanks for the help, Crystal Prep 1.”

Intercepting glideslope and localizer, approach mode engage. Flaps 15 once established.

“Anchorage Tower, Crystal Prep 1, at WEWWO, ILS 7R.”

“Crystal Prep 1, Anchorage tower, runway 7R, cleared to land.”

Passing TULLI, lower landing gear.

“Cleared to land 7R, Crystal Prep 1.”

3 green, down and locked. Flaps 25.

Flaps 30, spoilers armed, brakes set to 2.

1000.

100.

50.

40.

30.

20.

10.

Touchdown, spoilers up, brakes on, 2 in reverse.

“Crystal Prep 1, where are you parking?”

“Great Circle.”

“Roger, right F, ground .9.”

“F, ground .9, Crystal Prep 1.” “Anchorage ground, Crystal Prep 1, taxi Great Circle.”

“Crystal Prep 1, Anchorage ground, taxi Great Circle via F.”

“F to Great Circle. Crystal Prep 1.”

Parked, fuel on order, and the courtesy car requested, I head for the house.

When I roll in, their two cars are packed full with things.

After I park right in front of Cadance’s car, I greet the both of them before asking if there’s anything I can do to help.

Shining Armor says no as he closes his car. “She just needs her on-person essentials and we can be on our way.”

“No problem. As long as we can get rolling in the next hour. There’s fog forecast to roll in, and ATC is on that… uh, minimal staff protocol. If we can beat the fog and fit into a departure slot, we’re golden.”

“Well, what are we waiting for?” Shining says as he asks me to transport Flurry Heart in her baby chair. “Let’s get going.”

Being careful not to rock the car too much, we return to Great Circle and start packing the plane. Both cars are parked onboard and secured before we all climb aboard.

“Alright, I’m sure you know all the safety features, but I’ll just go ahead and brief you anyway: to fasten the seatbelt, insert the metal tip into the buckle, tighten with the strap. To unfasten, lift the flap and separate the two ends. Please keep your belts on even if the sign is off. There are 8 exits, two in front, four over wing, and two in the rear. Instructions on their operation are on the safety information card. If we have to evacuate into water, the life raft is located overhead, your seat cushion does function as a flotation device, and the infant life vests are in this compartment here.

“Place the vest over your shoulders, click into place, and tighten with the strap. Once outside the aircraft, pull down on the tabs to inflate the vest or blow into the tube at shoulder level. Vests are equipped with an LED that will illuminate upon contact with water. In case of a drop or loss in cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop from above your head. Pull down on the mask to initiate the flow of oxygen, tighten with the straps on the side and breathe normally even though the bag will not inflate. Secure your own mask first before assisting others. If the cabin loses power, yellow and red strips on the floor will guide you to the nearest exit. Three lavs, one up front and two in the rear. Federal law forbids smoking, tampering with, disabling, or destroying a lavatory smoke detector, and requires compliance with lighted signs, posted placards and crewmember instructions. Questions, comments, concerns?”

“No.” They both nod, smiling in appreciation at my slightly rushed safety brief.

“Okay then. Cadance, you know how to get in touch with me if you need to. Just in case Flurry Heart wants to wander, she has the whole plane except the cockpit to explore. Should be about 4 1/2 hours en route. Please sit back, relax, and enjoy.”

Once I sit down in the cockpit, I check linemen clear and turn on the APU.

2 alight and stable. Control surfaces check, flaps 5.

“Anchorage clearance, Crystal Prep 1, IFR to Sacramento Mather.”

“Crystal Prep 1, cleared to Mather airport via as filed. Maintain 11,000, departure frequency 126.4, squawk 1517.”

“Cleared to Mather as filed, 11,000, 126.4, 1517 squawk, Crystal Prep 1.”

“Crystal Prep 1, readback correct. Ground .9.”

“Ted Stevens International Airport Information Golf, 2048Z, wind 150 at 5, visibility 2 1/2, Sky condition, overcast 500, broken 2,300, scattered 12,000. Temperature -1, dewpoint -8, altimeter 30.10. ILS runway 7L in use, landing and departing runway 7L. All aircraft read back hold short instructions. Advise on initial contact you have information Golf.”

“Anchorage ground, Crystal Prep 1, Golf, ready to taxi.”

“Crystal Prep 1, Anchorage ground. Runway 7L, taxi via E K H.”

“E K H, 7L, Crystal Prep 1.”

“Crystal Prep 1, forecasted RVR 1200 in 5 minutes. Can you get airborne by then?”

“We’ll do our best.”

“Roger.”

To burn off a little extra fuel weight, I taxi faster than I would normally do for the sake of beating the incoming fog, which I can see is almost pitch black.

“Gee, the weather up here really does have a mind of its own.”

“Attention all aircraft, hazardous weather information available via flight service stations.”

“Ground, Crystal Prep 1, any idea on how long before considering a ground stop?”

“Negative. You’re our only operation for the next 20 minutes. Cross runway 7R, cross runway 7L, hold short runway 33.”

“Roger that. Cross runways 7, short of 33.”

After I turn on all the lights, I cross both East-west runways before turning onto K. As soon as I round out, I get my “cross runway 33” clearance.

“Crystal Prep 1, cross runway 33, will you be ready upon reaching runway 7L?”

“Cross 33, Affirm.”

“Crystal Prep 1, roger. Contact tower on 118.3.”

“118.3, Crystal Prep 1.” “Anchorage tower, Crystal Prep 1 across 33 for 7L.”

“Crystal Prep 1, Anchorage tower,” the same controller calls. “Runway 7L, cleared for takeoff. Fly heading 100.”

“Cleared for takeoff 7L, heading 100, Crystal Prep 1.” “Ladies and gentlemen, we’ve been cleared for takeoff, please be seated at this time.”

Thankful the tarmac is dry, I use the “gas through turn” trick and slingshot around H, setting takeoff thrust just as we enter the runway.

80 knots.

V1

Rotate.

V2

Positive rate, gear up.

Flaps up. Turn right heading 100.

“Crystal Prep 1, contact departure. Just beat the fog. Great flight.”