• Published 9th Feb 2020
  • 561 Views, 16 Comments

Burning Rubber And Flying Lead - Gearsmash King



It takes loyalty to hold a crew together. But, it takes love to hold a family together.

  • ...
2
 16
 561

Chapter 1

"What are we doing here, Zero?" Sunset asked, getting out of the passenger seat of a Challenger SRT.

"You remember what Saber said." The heavily built man replied, stepping out of the opposite side of the car, "The Shift crew has something we need and she sent us to make a deal with them."

In the years since Sunset Shimmer left Equestria and made Earth her home, she had developed a bit of a bad girl personality. Granted, most of that had been suppressed since meeting her friends. But, some things are harder to break than others. And, on nights like tonight, her less popular side showed. The gun tucked behind her back was clear evidence of that.

"You seem oddly calm, Z." Sunset commented, removing the gun and checking its ammo, "Normally, your guard is more up, when we meet up with people."

"I'm more calm because Saber isn't here." Zero replied, approaching a large warehouse and reaching for the handle to the door, "I'm her muscle for a reason, Phoenix. You, on the other hand, I don't need to worry about so much."

"But, you still worry a bit? Zero, I didn't know you cared."

Zero just gave her a tilt of his head as he raised his eyebrow, choosing not to be dragged into her game. Receiving a sly grin from the redhead girl, he shook his head and turned his eyes forward again.

The name 'Phoenix' was the only thing the group that Sunset worked with knew about her. She never gave her real name to anyone she didn't trust. It wasn't so much as a skill, more like an instinct when Sunset graduated from CHS. She knew the things she had seen and done during her school life, would either cause trouble or be useful experience. The main reason she used Phoenix as a cover was because her real name was all over the web. Sunset had seen several blurred photos and unfocused videos that showed her being a demon, or transforming into her 'pony' form. But, her name was still used in titles and descriptions. Whether it was internet trolls or bullies, she didn't know. What Sunset did know was, by having her name and magic exposed, it could've made her either a target or a threat. Neither of which she was interested in being.

Opening another door, Zero stepped to one side and gestured through the door.

"Ladies first." He said, holding a stone expression.

"By all means," Sunset replied, returning the gesture, "age before beauty."

Zero grunted and rolled his eyes as he walked through the door, followed by Sunset.

Inside, they saw tall storage racking packed with pallets of various products and three people dressed in black and grey clothing. The man in front of them, which they assumed was the leader, stepped forward and folded his hands in front of him.

"You two from LEGION?" He asked, looking both of them from top to bottom.

"Yeah." Zero replied, also sizing up the man, "You got what we came for?"

The man turned and snapped his fingers, signaling the girl holding a briefcase behind him. She approached and opened it. Inside was a glowing green gem. To most of the people in the room, it just seemed like an odd object. But, to Sunset, she knew it was something else. Slowly, she reached around her back and wrapped her fingers around the grip of her gun as a sense of danger invaded her mind. She watched as Zero took out a USB memory drive from his pocket.

"Three million dollars, as agreed." Zero said, exchanging the drive for the briefcase.

"And that little..." The man leaned closer, "Federal problem?"

"About to be taken care of."

"When?"

"Now!"

Almost without warning, the trio and Zero drew their weapons and turned toward Sunset. However, she quickly dived to one side and took cover behind a metal scrap bin. Bullets zipped over and pelted against the bin. Feeling the adrenaline run through her, Sunset quickly got to her feet and leaned against her cover. She wanted to throw lead back at her attackers, but she was outnumbered and outgunned. Her only hope was to escape, but to reach the door she entered from, Sunset would have to leave her cover. The only other door was a large loading bay door a short distance away, but the button was just out of reach of safety. Although, Sunset knew she couldn't stay there for much longer.

"Come on, Sunset!" She whispered harshly, barely heard over the gunfire, "Think!"

Looking around, Sunset glanced around the bin and saw a forklift with an exposed propane tank on the back. Drawing and aiming her gun, Sunset lined up her only chance for a distraction.

"Boom!" She said, pulling the trigger.

The bullet found its mark and the little tank exploded, sending bits of shrapnel in all directions. The hail of bullets stopped, allowing Sunset to dash toward the door buttons and slam her hand against the 'open' button. She took a moment to look at her attackers and saw two were seriously injured, the girl and the other man who stood silently beside her during the meeting. Zero and the leader, were cut but still standing. And the case had been thrown toward the door.

The door had opened only a foot and a half, but enough for Sunset to slid under, grabbing the case on her way out and firing a few blind shots. Once she was outside, she spotted a custom Austin Martin DB9 and a custom Kawasaki Ninja. She ran to the car, only to find it locked. And a missed bullet proved that she didn't have time to break the bulletproof glass either. So, the motorcycle was her only option, even though Sunset knew that she'd have to ride one-handed as she held the case in the other. Fortunately for Sunset, the keys were left in the ignition. Gripping and turning the key, the engine started. But, as she was putting on the helmet that had been left on the bike, another volley of shots rang out and a sharp pain ripped through Sunset's shoulder.

Grimacing in pain and opening the throttle, Sunset roared away, leaving Zero and the Shift leader behind.

"Badge!" Sunset said, trying to reach someone on the earpiece and wire tap she was wearing, "Agent Badge, come in! I've got the proof we need to stop LEGION!"

At first, there was just static as Sunset waited for a reply. But, after a moment, a voice cracked through.

"You shouldn't have screwed me, Phoenix." A stern feminine voice said, making Sunset's blood run cold, "Or, would you prefer to be called, Sunset Shimmer?"

"W-Where's Badge, Saber?!" Sunset asked, barely slowing the motorcycle, "What did you do with him?!"

"Maybe this will answer your question."

A gunshot and a choking sound came through her earpiece.

"A bullet to the neck is a messy way to go." Saber said, letting Sunset hear Badge gasp before silence, "You should've let Zero kill you, because now we're going to do it slow. So, go ahead, run. You'll just get dragged back here... Because LEGION is everywhere."

The radio cracked and then silence, except for the sound of the motorcycle's engine. Sunset's expression was blank behind the visor as her mind raced. In her hand, was something she believed might help her. But, Sunset didn't even know what it was. All she knew was it was Equestrian, based on the energy it emitted. However, with Badge gone, there wasn't anyone who could help her now. Or was there?

Something in Sunset's mind resurfaced as she realized there might still be a chance to make things right.

"I really don't want to." Sunset said quietly, placing the case between her stomach and the gas tank, "But, they're the only ones who might help me. I need to get home!"

With her decision made, Sunset opened the throttle wide and raced along the road, toward Canterlot City and dripping blood on the asphalt.

Author's Note:

This is an idea I had for a while. I figured I'd give it a try.