• Published 9th Aug 2020
  • 2,560 Views, 45 Comments

Avenging Sun - Fullmetal Prime



And there came a day unlike any other, when two remarkable people met. Both former wrongdoers. Both framed for crimes they didn't commit. Both forced to run from people they thought they could trust. Both finding a place in a remarkable group.

  • ...
2
 45
 2,560

#2 Hawkeye The Marksman

'Okay... This looks bad.'

Clint Barton couldn't say he was surprised that raiding an old safe house for supplies lead to a fight and high-speed airborne pursuit. The way his life had been going over the past few weeks it was par for the course.

The sky-cycle kicked up a spray as it shot over the lake, leaving the bright lights of Tranquillity behind, but not the SHIELD craft after him.

As the jet caught up, the ramp opened and five armed, jetpack equipped agents dove out. The sight of the men taking flight had brought up memories, and none made him consider slowing, the fact they were firing at him might have also had something to do with it. As they neared shore, he twisted the throttle and the vehicle sped up and the archer shot off into the treeline.

The agents followed him between the narrow spaces of the woodland, while transport flew over the treetops. The sky-cycle ducked, rose and swerved between the trees, its rider barely loosing any speed. The agents meanwhile, were forced to slow down to maneuverer, allowing their far less cautious target to put some distance between them, they kept firing only wound up hitting nothing but bark.

Suddenly, the rider pulled a sharp turn taking the agents by surprise, one wound up crashing to the branches of a tree. Another flew right into one of his squad mates, sending them to the forest floor. He could almost hear Ol' Big Cheese chastising him for showing off. Not that it mattered he had pulled off crazier stunts back in his circus days.

The remaining two agents resumed firing on the bowman, who pressed a button and a small compartment opened up revealing a small device, naturally coloured purple. He took it and attached it to his mask just beneath the eye then pressed a button causing a microphone to pop out.

"Computer, maneuverer right!"

The autopilot kicked in obeying his voice commands freeing his hands which shot to his quiver and bow, the former currently less then half full. He notched an arrow and fired it at an agent, who simply barrel rolled to avoid it.

Clint couldn't see the man's face but he could practically hear the smug grin, not the first time his weapon of choice had gotten that reaction, which is why it was so satisfying when he flew right into the net from the second arrow and landed into stack of hay bales.

He'd live, the flight suits may not look like much but it would take a higher drop. The man's pride could not be vouched for however.

One agent left, sticking to his rear, trying to shoot out the sky-cycle's thrusters. He gave command after command, to try and shake them to no avail, they were above average he'd give them that.

"Increase speed!"

The bike sped forward, the agent ceased shooting and followed after him. Pushing the jetpack to its limit, while their target returned his hand to handlebars.

"Break!"

The sky-cycle's reverse thrusters fired stopping it in mid-air and almost sending its rider flying off. The agent behind him managed to maneuverer at the last second, barely managing to avoid colliding with the purple craft. Quickly recovering, Clint stood up, notched an arrow and fired at the agent's jetpack, hitting one of the wings.

The impacted caused a small explosion, the damage turned the agent's flight erratic and they were forced to descend.

Clint smirked, taking a moment to enjoy his victory which came to an end with the quickly approaching sound of a jet engine. Glancing over his shoulder, sure enough the SHIELD transport was closing in.

They just won't quit, He thought then sat back down and twisting the accelerator. Once more, the sky-cycle shot off with the jet following close behind.

Evidently, the pilot was getting sick of the chase as well, firing off a few rounds from the weapons. Clint moved from side to side and a quick spin managing to avoid getting himself though his bike couldn't say the same.

"Computer, on my mark turn right side up," he pulled an arrow from his quiver. "aaand... mark!"

The sky-cycle righted itself, Clint notched the arrow then spun around to the craft.... which was pulling back.

"What the...?" he asked then noticed something, the air was colder. He turned to his gaze back ahead, to see a massive wall of grey. "What the-?!"

He returned his weapons to their places on his back, and again took back the controls from the autopilot just as he flew into the sudden storm. Between the force of the wind. the temperature nose diving and the snow filling his vision he barely avoided colliding with a tree, unfortunately he did crash into something large and metal, sending him tumbling to the ground.

He shot awake and found that he was buried in snow. Cold snow, he hated cold. He looked around, his first guess was the forest from Narnia. How else could there be shin deep snow in summer?

Pushing himself to his feet he made his way over to his sky-cycle and pulled it up straight. A quick inspection of the surface damage, revealed a few dents and scratches but nothing seemed to bad. Deciding not to risk flying, he pulled the switch that made the wheels pop out but nothing happened.

"Perfect," he muttered as he started pulling and dragging the downed machine across the white ground.

Eventually he found an old shed, probably wouldn't be very warm but after a few hours in the freezing cold it'd be better then nothing. He dropped his bike just before the building and walked up to the entrance. He tried pushing the door open a few times to no avail.

Clint took a few steps back then charged at the doors, striking it with his shoulder and the entrance was thrown open. The bowman let out a shout as a jolt of pain shot out from his shoulder, used his injured one by mistake. After the pain passed, he found himself in a low lit shed. He went back outside and pushed his grounded sky-cycle inside and placed it in a space under a canopy.

He took out a torch on his belt and removed the saddle along with the small storage compartment underneath it. Thank fully an quick inspect showed that the damaged wasn't as bad as he thought. Just needed a few fix ups and it should be flying in no time.

Slowly but surely, the tiring experiences of his day started to catch up with. Spotting a tarp in the corner of the door, Clint went over picked it up getting a could full of dry dust in the face for his trouble. After a quick sneezing fit, he threw the tarp over the sky-cycle.

He walked out from under the canopy and duck round the corner away from the draft from the door. He found an old chair, he removed his quiver and dropped into the seat dozing off.

Later, he was pulled back to the world of the living by the sound of the door creaking open. After moment of silence he heard a voice.

"You weren't there when I left."

Female, young from the sound of it. He heard boot steps going from the door to where he left his sky-cycle. He stood up, replaced his mask over his face, and picked up his bow and an arrow. Silently, making his way round the corner still exhausted and struggling to stay awake.

Not helped by the pain in his left arm telling him his wound from a few days ago had reopened. Figures, fighting a dozen SHIELD Agents in a corridor, jumping through a window, high-speed chase from a transport with crazy manoeuvres through a forest and straight up hitting a wooden door with it, no problem. Tossing and turning in his sleep, that opens it.

Peaking round the corner, he spotted the interloper crouching by his bike with a small torch looking over the machine. And in the lowlight of the shed he noticed the long red hair.

Widow

He stepped out of the corner and notched the arrow. The girl stiffened, she heard him, then shot up and turned to face him, teal eyes widening at the sight an arrow aimed at her face.

"Who are you?" He demanded, his sight swaying "What are you doing here? Who sent ...you?

As he spoke, his exhausted state reclaimed him, his vision turned dark. He felt his grip, on the bowstring turn loose. Last thing he was aware of was himself tipping to his side.

"Hey!"


At first Clint wasn't sure which hurt more. After half a second to consider he'd go with his head, which felt like it had a helicarrier dropped on it. Forcing, his eyes open he was met with a wooden roof, right next him was a portable heater. And next to the heater was a night stand, with his mask on it.

Not good.

He heard a rustling sound, spotting his quiver and bow not far from the bed and next to them saw long red hair over black clothing.

Snapping out of his drowsiness, his first reaction was to jump out of the bed, make for his gear and notch an arrow. The attempt however failed for two reasons, one his arm was killing him at the moment and two he was strapped down by his wrists.

Biting back a hiss of pain the former SHIELD agent, dropped back down on the bed, releasing an annoyed huff of air from his nose. Looking back at the girl, noticing the red hair contained golden highlights and the black clothing was a leather jacket rather then a catsuit.

Currently, she was sitting on the edge of the loft they were on, examining one of his arrows, specficlly a flash bang arrow, that she was currently turning over in front of her eyes.

"I wouldn't do that."

She jumped at the sound of his voice, accidently tossing the arrow into the air. After unintentionally juggling it for a few seconds she managed to regain a grip on it, thankfully the arrow wasn't set off.

The girl let out a relieved breath, then turned round to face him and, yep! Green eyes, sure why not? The hair and black jacket wasn't reminding him enough of his ex-partner.

"Hey," the girl smiled, got to her feet and got made her way over to the bedside. "You're awake!"

"Really? What was your first clue?"

"And snarky, that's probably a good sign."

"I'm guessing there's a good reason I'm tied down?"

The Not Widow looked away from the archer rubbing her neck.

"Well, yeah. You kind of... shot an arrow at my head."

The archer's head spun round to her in alarm.

"Oh! Don't worry you missed,"

Alarm turned into an insulted frown.

"Uh, you passed out just before you fired. So..." she shrugged. "Doesn't count?"

"Damn right it doesn't," the blonde muttered turning his gaze back to the roof.

Not Widow glanced around her living space, swaying back and forward.

"Are you going to untie me anytime soon?"

"Are you going to shoot me again?"

"Probably not."

"How likely am I to get a definitely not?"

"Meh," Clint shrugged then let out a hiss as a jolt of pain came from his arm.

With surprising speed, Not Widow undid the knots and helped him sit up so that he was facing her. "I tried bandaging it up, but I'm not that good a first aid. You might want to get someone to look at that."

The archer grunted in reply, rubbing his bandaged arm.

"You're pretty strong," the girl's comment got a smirk.

"What did these guys give it away?" he asked patting his unharmed bicep, the girl didn't seem impressed.

"Noooo, that did," she threw her thumb over her shoulder at the corner of the platform, towards his quiver and bow. "I tried pulling it earlier, could barely make the sting budge." She turned back to the formerly masked man. "What is it, a hundred and fifty pounds?"

"Not even close."

An awkward silence filled the air, the girl looked to the side.

"I don't get a lot of visitors out here," Not Widow, held out a hand. "What's your name?"

"Bruno Louis," Clint replied, rubbing his wrists not taking the offered hand.

"Okay," Not Widow raised a brow, the smile curling in the corner into a smirk, she didn't believe him. "Nice to meet you 'Bruno'. Or do you prefer 'Hawkeye.'"

The fire haired girl held up the arrow, showing writing on the shaft. 'Property of Hawkeye*,' and the voice of Cheese was back in his ear telling him off. Great.

"Sooo," she looked like she was about to start laughing any second. "How old are you exactly?"

"Forgot I used to do that," Hawkeye sighed, rubbing his face and just learned she applied a few band aids to his cheeks.

"Why?" Not Widow asked with chuckle.

"Why'd you take off my mask and shirt?"

The archer's tone, cut off any teasing the kid had planned and she held up a hand in peace.

"I needed to check for injuries. You're in rough shape," She started counting off the injuries with her fingers. "A bleeding cut on your arm. Bruises on you're chest. A few cuts on your face."

True.

"Where am I? Canada? Please, tell me I'm not in Canada."

"You're not in Canada. We're Just outside Canterlot City."

Clint released a breath he didn't even realise you were holding.

Okay, so I didn't get transported a few hundred miles up north.

"Not a Canada fan?"

"No, there's just someone I'd rather avoid."

"Who?"

"What's with the weather?"

"That I don't know it's been like this for the past two days. Just showed up with no warning. Not the only thing it seems," as Not Widow spoke, Clint got up and walked past her right up to edge of the loft, looking down at the floor below seeing the drag marks from his sky-cycle leading from the door to underneath them.

"Hey, I don't think you should be doing much just..."

The archer walked to edge of the platform then jumped off the edge preforming a mid-air summersault before landing on the dirt floor of the shed. He looked up at the girl over his shoulder, a hint of smirk on his lips.

"Okay, that was impressive," teal eyes blinked in surprise. "How are you able to do that so beat up?"

"I've walked away from worse with worse," the purple marksman rolled his neck, then smacked his lips. "Hey, you got any coffee or something?"

"Oh, yeah. Hang on."

Not Widow went over to ladder, started to climb it then slide down like it was a fireman's pole. She went over to a part of the shed arranged as a make shift kitchen. Mostly consisting of a small fridge and two tables, one covered in small portable cooking appliances. Looking around, Clint also spotted a makeshift bathroom, with an old camping shower and a metal bowl for a sink.

Must have been more exhausted then I thought if I missed all this.

The red head walked up and presented a steaming cup covered in hearts and flowers with a kid's drawing of yellow unicorn. Or an overweight giraffe getting a lobotomy.

"Out of sugar. Sorry."

Swallowing his pride, Hawkeye accepted the mug and took a swig. Not bad.

"You an archer?" he asked swirling his drink around.

"Huh?"

He pointed a thumb at his equipment.

"Um... no, not really," the teenager ran a hand through her hair. "I used to when I was a f-airly young girl but I mostly did it as a hobby and not really that much?"

If Hawkeye noticed the last minute word switch, he didn't show it.

"Well, thanks for the patch up and coffee. Don't worry I'll get out of your hair in a minute."

"Well, I'm actually spending the night at a friend's house so you're welcome to stay here. At least until you either heal up or fix up your bike."

Clint nearly choked on his drink.

"Time out! Let me get this straight. You come home to find a bleeding guy in a mask aiming an arrow at your head... and you patch him up, pour him a cup of coffee and just let him crash in your bed for a few days?"

The two stared at each other then she shrugged.

"Sure."

Hawkeye stared at her in disbelief. "Wow, you're dumb?"

The girl shrugged again opened her mouth to speak then noticed the time on a sun shaped clock.

"Horse apples! I've got to go."

She dashed past him and started things into a bag on a nearby table .

"There's food in the fridge. Help yourself, I'm gone most of the week so it'll just go off. There's some more coffee and tea in the box on the table. And I keep a first aid kit with clean bandages under the bed."

"Hey, Kid," the girl stopped at the doorway, turning back to her new shed mate. "Do yourself a favour and don't tell anyone I'm here."

The girl frowned. "Why?"

"Trust me."

"Okay, later 'Bruno,'" and with a wave she disappeared out the door.

"Nice kid," he thought allowed. "Dumb but nice."

He took another sip then made his way to the kitchen area and opened the fridge to see what his hostess had. Briefly, glancing at a DVD case on the table as he passed. Well, if I had any doubt about her being a kid, it's gone now.

"'Horse apples?'"

What he found in the fridge was less then what he expected, mostly vegetarian food.

Well, that's just my luck, he commented, then noticed a shelf filled with sweets and baked goods and below it. "Oooh, Bacon."


Rainbow Dash's house a short while later

Surprisingly, Sunset wasn't the last to arrive, meeting up with Rarity just as she was about to leave the school car park, the honour actually going to the host of the evening. When the two of them arrived Rainbow's mother, Windy Whistles, practically dragged them to the living room, where she entertaining the other three Rainbooms with some old home movies while her husband, Bow Hothoof, finished off making their snacks in the kitchen.

"Oh, and this was our little Dash's first time in an airplane. As soon as she saw it land she wouldn't stop begging us to get in line," a four year old Rainbow Dash stared out the airplane window with her little hands against the glass, occasionally turning towards Windy manning the camera and pointed excited outside as they flew over a cloud or river. "She loved it so much she started crying like no tomorrow when we had to get off."

Windy fast forwarded the video to a point with a bawling Rainbow clinging to the plane's door with a Bow trying to pry her off. Kid Dash's death grip was eventually broken and she was carried away from the aircraft. The video briefly turned to static and came back to the future star athlete still crying flailing in her dad's arms as he walked.

"Honestly, I'm amazed I didn't have to drop the camera and pick up a crowbar to help."

"I'm back!" a certain scratchy voice called from the door.

"Dash!" Windy called back. "Your guests are all in here!"

"Sorry, I'm late girls," said Rainbow as she walked into the living room. "Had to meet up what are you watching?!"

The sheer horror in her rose coloured eyes made her friends burst out laughing.

"Well, you were running late, and I was trying to get these old family movies converted into digital. So, I thought I'd show the girls a few."

"Why?!" Rainbow leaned over the sofa Sunset and Pinkie were currently occupying.

"I just said so, didn't I?"

"Relax, Dashie," Pinkie piped up. "It's not like this will in anyway ruin our opinion of a you as cooler then cool, hard as nails, sports super star."

The athlete let out a whine, as her friend's gazes turned to the TV, where a still crying and flailing Kid Dash was passed to a smiling old man in a well-worn aviator's jacket with a green cap sitting at a table. He placed her on his knee and started bouncing her. Tears and wailing lowered to a trembling lip, as Kid Dash reached for his cap. The old man laughed and placed the desired headwear, revealing his thinning silver hair, on the tyke making her beam showing off gaps in her little teeth.

"Aaawww!" the girls cooed, while Rainbow just went limp and hung over the top of the sofa like blanket.

"OMG! Wittle Dashie was so cute! I could just die!!!"

"Oh my God! Make it stop!" she cried into the cushion while in the kitchen the sound of chopping fruit suddenly stopped.

"Rainbow Danger Dash," Bow called, the tone in his voice surprisingly laced with disapproval.

"Sorry, Dad!"

"Not much left on this one," Windy mused then picked up another disc and turned to their guests. "You girls want to see Rainbow Dash's first time at a haunted house. I'll never forget the sound the guy in the ghost suit made when she-"

Before she could finish, Rainbow leaped over couch and now stood between her mom and her friends, pointing down the hallway.

"Hey! We got a party to start so why don't we head up to my room! Like, right now! Move!"

Sunset couldn't help but roll her eyes, as Rainbow ushered them into the hallway. "Okay, we're going."

"So, what kept you?" Applejack asked.

"I had to meet up with Scootaloo. I promised to hang out with her before schools out. She'll be out of the country with her parents. Was in the middle of teaching her one of my secret special kicks when I saw the time. Didn't realise how late it was, sorry girls."

"Don't worry, darling. At the very least, we weren't bored."

The girls tried to fight down then laughter, while Rainbow faced the ceiling eyes closed as if pleading for a higher power to strike her down.

"Why do they do this. Every. Time. I bring people over?!"

While the group continued to chuckle at Rainbow's expense, Sunset's died down.

After getting their laughter out, Pinkie asked a question. "Hey Dashie, who was that old guy in the video?"

"Yes, I don't believe I ever seen him in your company before."

"Oh... that was my grandpa... Rainbow Blitz," Rainbow's voice became sad and quiet, her body language losing some of her usual confidence.

Fluttershy placed a hand on her friend's shoulder while the former unicorn noticed a black and white photo on the wall of a younger looking Blitz sitting in the cockpit of a plane giving the photographer a thumbs up and a familiar smirk.

As they entered Rainbow's bedroom Sunset nudged the athlete's arm with a smile, "So, since he's your grandpa I expect that makes him twenty percent cooler than most?"

Her gamble paid of an Rainbow stiffened up then spun round to face her, a new energy in her eyes.

"Twenty percent cooler? Twenty percent cooler?!" The spectrum haired girl jumped back onto her bed arms spread wide. "He was forty percent cooler!" she then snatched a book form a shelf and pulled it open showing an album of black and white photos. "Grandpa Blitz was among the first American volunteer pilots back in 1940, he lied about his age so he wasn't much older then us. He got shot down five times and got back up in the air after each one. He was always first to volunteer for dangerous missions. Fought in several major air battles. He. Was. Awesome!"

Four sets of eyes turned to the member of their group who knew Rainbow the longest.

"Rainbow really looks up to her grandpa," the shy pinkette explained, then gave a surprised 'eep' as Rainbow jumped to her side and wrapped an arm around her neck.

"Damn right I do!"

"Hang on a sec. 'Blitz' ain't exactly a name I'd expect an American pilot back then to have."

As soon as the farmer finished the statement she regretted it as Rainbow was now nose to nose with her and she did not look happy.

"You implying something?" She growled through grit teeth.

Applejack shot a pleading look at the rest of the group, who gave her small smiles or shakes of their heads. Then collectively, in perfect synchronization, closed their eyes and made a show of wiping their hands then holding them.

"N-Now, Dash, I didn't mean nothing. I just meant... well, given the time... it's," the cowgirl made a motion with her hands as she tried to think of a decent answer. "Odd?"

Rainbow opened her mouth but couldn't say a thing before Fluttershy called her name. Glancing at her old friend, who simply gave her a look that could fill who beheld it feel with a strange urge to clean their room. Rainbow took a breath and exhaled through her nose, clearly having given the following explanation more than once in the past.

"His birth name was 'Regenbogen Blitz'. He changed it to 'Rainbow Blast' when the war started and he changed his last name back in 64," Rainbow explained in a tone that said this wasn't the first time she had to explain. Then jumped out of Applejack's personal space, flipped through the album and pulled out a photo presenting it proudly to the farmer. "Besides, would a Nazi have something like this become a prized family heirloom?"

"Ah didn't mean..." Applejack trailed off as she looked at the photo, which she took and blinked in a stupor. "Sam hill..."

Pinkie and Rarity moved to either side of the farmer for a peak.

"Holy moly!"

"My, that's... impressive," Rarity agreed, eyes locked a specific part of the photo her cheeks gaining a hint of red, a fact noticed by the on-the-spot farmer who gave her an exasperated look and received a sheepish one in turn from the seamstress before she turned to Rainbow. "It's real?"

"One hundred and twenty percent!" the athlete declared proudly.

"A German born pilot flying for the allies," Sunset turned to Rainbow. "If I remember history class right, it couldn't have been easy for him. On any front."

"That's the whole reason why he did it! He signed up to get back at the rat faced bastard that £$&#%@ up his old man's country!"

"Rainbow Dash, language!" The dress maker chastised.

"That's not a nice thing to say about rats," Fluttershy added.

"His words not mine," Rainbow went back to her lecture so fast it could give you whiplash. "He didn't stop at the end of the war. He kept flying until he crashed taking on... HYDRA? Leviathan?" Rainbow paused then shrugged, folded her arms behind her head and fell back on the floor. "I don't know. Some big evil organization named after a giant snake monster. Can never remember which."

"Pretty sure the Leviathan was a whale."

Rainbow sat back up straight and pointed accusingly at Sunset. "Nerd alert!"

The red head placed a hand against her chest and gasped. "Thank you!"

"While hearin' Rainbow gush about her family history is entertainin' and all-"

"You're one to talk, Apple."

"... Fair point. But didn't we come here for a slumber party?"

"Oh, right!" Rainbow slammed the album closed then. "You all brought your movies?"

All the girls took a DVD out of their bags. A few Sunset recognised but never saw, "Okay, whose going first?"

"Well, since this was my idea, I'd say its obvious that-"

"That Sunset goes first, since we're doing this for her in the first place?" Rarity asked, brow raised.

Rainbow gave nervous chuckle. "Right."

The red head went to her bag to pull out her favourite of the few movies she owned, but only found her pajamas, clothes and essentials for school and her journal. No DVD to be seen.

"Sorry girls, I must have left it at home."

"It's okay Sugercube, you can choose which movie we watch first."

"Hmm?" Sunset looked over the options her friends brought. "Let's draw straws, a bit more fair."

"Got some in the kitchen," Rainbow stood up. "BRB."

"But he's not showing up until season two."

"What?"

"Huh?"

"..."

"..."

"... I'm going to get the straws now."

A short while later the girls were on their second movie. With Pinkie and Fluttershy quietly singing along to the music. The party girl on the floor with the animal lover laying on the bed right behind her, kicking her feet in the air. Rainbow looked bored out of her skull but didn't complain, getting the shortest straw probably didn't help. Applejack sat on the floor in front of the bed while Rarity ran a brush through her hair.

Sunset meanwhile, sat on a cushion on the floor. While she was enjoying the girls' choice in entertainment for the night, she couldn't stop her mind drifting back to her new houseguest. Who was he really? Where did he get that wonderful machine? How did he get those injuries?

Questions to expected if you found a strange, costumed man bleeding in the forgotten shed you called home. She was aware of colourful adventurers that inhabited this world, she hadn't give them much thought as they never came near Canterlot. But Hawkeye's weapons and questions stirred up memories she had not often pondered on since crossing the portal. Or before.

She was literally shaken out of these thoughts, by Applejack who along with Rarity were giving her odd looks.

"Sorry, what?"

"I asked if you're okay? You just zoned out. Getting sleepy?"

"No, just...remembering."

Author's Note:

* Apparently this is something he actually does in the main books.

SHIELD first appeared in Strange Tales #135 and was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.