• Published 16th Jan 2020
  • 205 Views, 2 Comments

Rapidly Written Equine Tales - Curious Mew



Short, more or less unrelated stories written in approximately thirty minutes with a variety of tones and themes

  • ...
 2
 205

Pleasant Rain

Outside, it was raining under a light grey sky. The rain was the pleasant sort; the kind that gives ponies a welcome excuse to stay indoors without being part of a storm that would make one worry about property damage. Two pegasi were currently taking full advantage of this, and huddled together on a couch inside of a cottage. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash sat in a pleasant silence together, listening to the rain beat against the roof. The relaxed atmosphere was not limited to the ponies, however. Fluttershy's animal friends were also more or less silent, save for the occasional sound of one eating from the food bowls lain out throughout the house.

It was a reflective calm, and Rainbow Dash's mind wandered back to when the two were foals in Cloudsdale. “You know,” she said, breaking the silence, “I'm really glad that I met you.”

Fluttershy turned her head to look into Rainbow Dash's eyes and smiled warmly. “So am I,” she replied softly.

Rainbow Dash shook her head and rubbed the back of her neck with one hoof. “No, no, it's more than that. It's not just that we became friends, which I'm really glad about. It's something more than that, y'know? It was just about the best thing that happened to me.”

Fluttershy tilted her head slightly and remained silent, prompting Rainbow Dash to continue.

“Before that, all I really wanted was to become a Wonderbolt, which I still want, of course. But that would be sort of lonely if that's all I had. So I'm really, really glad that we met. Because it gave me somepony to care about. If those bullies hadn't been picking on you, than I might have missed out on meeting the most amazing pony in my life. And that would have been super uncool,” Rainbow Dash finished, her rose colored eyes locking onto Fluttershy's turquoise ones.

Fluttershy smiled even more broadly and replied, “I know what you mean, Rainbow. Without you, I would never have even discovered how much I love all of my little animal friends. And on top of that, you always protected me. I know that when you push me, you do it because you want me to be able to stand up for myself. But that's not all it is. There's so much more to it than that.”

Both ponies fell silent again and began to listen to the rain once more. Rainbow Dash wrapped one wing around Fluttershy's body and pulled her closer, as the yellow pegasus rested her head on the shoulder of her friend. They remained like that for a good while, neither wanting the moment to end. However, all things must come to pass, and the rain began to fall more softly and with less frequency. Sunlight began to filter through the windows and fall upon the two ponies as they sat together as the last of the rain cleared up.

Rainbow Dash sighed and gave Fluttershy a small squeeze before withdrawing her wing. She turned to look into Fluttershy's eyes once again. “I guess what I really mean is that it's not just friendship that we share, as awesome as that is.” A smile flitted across her face as she thought about all the truly awesome things that she had seen the magic of friendship accomplish. “It's something else, too. You're the most important pony I know, Fluttershy.” She grinned. “Although maybe not the most awesome. I think that I have that covered.” The grin was replaced with a broad smile as Rainbow Dash finished, “What I guess I'm trying to say is that I love you.”

Fluttershy's face reflected Rainbow Dash's own: sparkly and honest eyes above a smile that stretched across her entire face. “I love you, too,” she said in a voice barely above a whisper.

Rainbow Dash again scratched the back of her neck with a hoof. “Um, I'm really not too great at this stuff. I think that Rarity would know exactly what to do. Although, I do think that I have a small idea about what ponies might do in this sort of situation.”

“And what might that be?” Fluttershy asked with pretend ignorance.

The birds outside began to sing since the rain had passed and the warmth from the newly revealed sun filled the room as Rainbow Dash leaned towards the other pegasus. The two shared their first of many kisses, and both ponies felt that it could not have been at a more perfect moment.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt 406:

This Prompt is a Love Letter:
You’re the best thing to happen to my life. I think I want to keep you around for the rest of it.

I may have cheated here a bit since this is a slightly revised version of the original, but the edits took only a few seconds. So it was still written in approximately thirty minutes. Just spread over a little over half a decade.