• Published 11th Nov 2019
  • 2,261 Views, 131 Comments

Rise Of the Dragon Queen - Mystic Sunrise



A new power is rising on Equus. And five ponies stand at the center of it.

  • ...
30
 131
 2,261

One Last Hope

The moment Twilight saw her mentor's and Luna's faces, she knew what the answer would be. "Nothing?" She asked, a part of her hoping against hope that she was wrong.

Princess Celestia shook her head as she floated the orbs over to the girls. "I am sorry my little ponies, but whatever these are made of, it is far and beyond what even I or my sister know."

Luna nodded, not looking much happier. "We even asked Dragon Lord Torch, since they are clearly connected to dragons in some way. He did not know either, though he was able to confirm one thing about them."

"What's that?" River asked, trying not to show how in awe she and the others were at being this close to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Only Twilight seemed to be acting normally.

Celestia looked at the green orb around River's neck. "These are in fact the Orbs of Dragonkind, as I suspected they might be when you wrote to me, Twilight. He does not know why they would appear now, or why they would go to you girls specifically."

Twilight tilted her head. "What do you mean?"

Luna looked at Twilight's black orb. "The orbs actively resisted our magic, in a way I have never seen before. Sister and I had to use all of our magic just to try and analyze them, let alone move them around. Even the best teachers at the School for Gifted Unicorns had trouble with them."

Celestia nodded. "I even asked Chancellor Neighsay of the E.E.A for help, since he is known for his ability to work with difficult magic. He had as much trouble as we had."

The girls' ears dropped. "Go figure. Guess we'll never know what these things do then," Pearl grumbled as she poked at hers.

Luna sighed. "We are sorry. But whatever crafted the orbs is a magic beyond even what we know. All we know for sure now is that these are the fabled Orbs of myth and legend, that dragons did not play a part in their creation, and that they seem aroused, almost, when they are with you."

Celestia nodded. "I am not sure, but the orbs have seemingly bonded to you all and are distressed if they are separated from you. Almost as if they are alive. But I cannot say for sure."

Lavender looked at her orb. "No wonder I feel weird if I take it off. It's felt like mine, and mine alone, ever since I got it. I don't even feel the weight anymore."

The others nodded, for the same applied to them as well. Twilight bowed her head, as did the others. "We're sorry for taking so much of your time, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna. Thank you for what you have done though."

Celestia chuckled as she lifted her student's head with a hoof. "It was no trouble Twilight. Though I wish we could have told you all more, it was nice to see all of you." Her eyes twinkled. "And if we hurry, we can still catch the rest of the dessert competition that brought you all to Canterlot."

That got a giggle out of everypony, and with no place else in mind, they headed back to where the judging was still in progress. They tried not to think about the mess that had happened on the Friendship Express on the way here.

Luna though fell in beside Twilight. "Before we get more distracted. Do you plan to stay in Canterlot much longer, miss Sparkle?"

Twilight shrugged. "I'm not sure really. Rarity wants to see more of Canterlot than she did the last time we were all here, so we might stay awhile." She gave the princess a look. "Why? Is there something going on?"

Luna shook her head. "No. But your brother is due back in several days. He has been wanting to tell you something important for some time now, but you've been away for so long that he's never had the chance."

Twilight perked up at the mention of her BBBFF. She and Shinning Armor hadn't seen each other in a long time it felt like. This was perfect. "What did he want to tell me?"

Luna grinned mischievously. "It is not my place to tell you. Though I suspect you will not mind when you do find out."

Twilight pouted, but one look at Luna's eyes told her that she wasn't getting any more out of the princess. "Fine. Be like that."

That got a giggle out of the whole group at least. "You never said you had a brother, Twilight," Pumpkin said.

Twilight rolled her eyes. "You guys never asked. Nopony's ever asked about him. I don't know why. Shining's not that boring. You don't get made Captain of the Royal Guard for nothing."

That got a shocked gasp out of the girls, as they finally came to the courtyard where the competition was being held. "Your brother is Captain of the Royal Guard?" Pearl asked with a wide eye look.

The commotion drew the attention of the rest of Twilight's friends, as they soon joined the group. "You never said you had a brother, Twilight," Applejack said with a slight frown.

Rainbow nodded. "Yeah. And he's Captain of the Royal Guard?! What else aren't you telling us about your family?"

Twilight could see that she was backed into a corner now. Even Fluttershy looked interested. She sighed, smiling sheepishly. "I guess I should tell you girls about him, shouldn't I?"

The others nodded, making a point to block any escape attempt. Celestia and Luna stood back but looked rather smug at the prospects.

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Fine. I'll tell you guys the full story."

Author's Note:

Now we've come to the fun part of the story. Next chapter, the wedding gets derailed in the best way and the crux of the whole story. This is just a little filler before that arc.

In relation to the rest of Season 2. Hurricane Fluttershy and Ponyville Confidential have not changed from what we know from show canon.