• Published 8th May 2020
  • 339 Views, 8 Comments

Steel Unicorns: Rainbow Djents - JesterOfDestiny



The Sirens dominate the battle of the bands with their relentless djent music. It's up to an oddball speed metal trio to defeat them.

  • ...
 8
 339

Chapter 5

The Rainbooms were up on stage, just about to finish their song. Lemon Hearts and Twinkleshine were watching from the backstage area, as Rainbow Dash played a solo that was surprisingly modest, almost as if she was holding back. Lemon Hearts and Twinkleshine would have felt very confident at this point, if Lyra wasn’t still absent.

Then the backstage door slammed open; Lyra finally arrived.

“Sorry, I took so long girls.” She bent down to catch her breath. “Got held up by someone.”

“Yeah, we know...” Lemon Hearts said with crossed arms.

Lyra got up and brushed her hair from her face. She noticed that Lemon’s usually calm features were carved into a judgemental scowl while Twinkleshine’s eyes and hands fretted in worry.

“W-why are you looking at me like that?” Lyra’s eyes darted between her friends.

Lemon Hearts narrowed her glare. “We are up against the Rainbooms.”

“O-okay? We can still play Nuts right?” She asked.

“Yeah, can’t not play your favourite now can we?” Lemon Hearts said with an oddly sarcastic tone.

“What’s with the attitude?” Lyra objected. “That’s what we were planning, right? Or am I missing something?”

“Actually,” Twinkleshine interjected herself into the brewing tension, “we were thinking about maybe… Changing some things.”

“Changing what things?”

Lemon Hearts cut to the point. “We were thinking about removing that whole solo section.”

“What? Why?!” Lyra threw her arms in the air. ”That’s the best part of the song!”

“Yeah, well, the whole school being brainwashed again is much more important than showing off.”

“Didn’t you say you just want to have fun? That’s the most fun part!”

“They clearly know what’s going on, I’m just trying to help them defeat the Dazzlings’ spell.”

“I thought you said they let the Rainbooms win anyway. What’s the point of ruining the song then?”

“Next up, the Steel Unicorns!” Celestia’s voice could be heard from outside.

“Guys we don’t have time for this!” Twinkleshine shouted at them, as she quickly finished setting up her drum set. “We’re coming up!”

“I am not parting with that solo Lemon.” Lyra stood her ground stubbornly.

Lemon Hearts quietly picked up her guitar, not having the energy to argue with Lyra.

“We wrote that part together, it’s the exact way we can have the most fun... Just like you want.”

“Alright fine!” Lemon Hearts hissed between clenched teeth. “We’ll keep the blasted part!”

But Lyra wasn’t satisfied with Lemon’s disgruntled response. “What is it with you anyway?”

“That shouldn’t concern you, now should it?”

“What the hay are you talking about?!”

The curtains were already opening.

Twinkleshine, already sitting at her drum set, hushed at her bickering friends. “Guys come on, we’re starting!”

Lemon already stepped into her spot once the curtains fully opened. Lyra still stumbled around, fiddling with her strap and frantically fine-tuning her new string, all at the same time. Lemon glared with tilted head impatiently, as the audience waited in silence. Finally Twinkleshine counted down with her drumsticks.

The audience got an interesting surprise: A groovy funk played instead of the speedy blasting they expected. Lyra had plenty of slap-bass to get her back into the zone. Lemon’s opening solos sounded angrier than usual; the argument backstage actually helped her get into the spirit of the music. Twinkleshine just hoped that they wouldn't start arguing again.

I like your jacket, where you bought it?

Is this the straight model? You need to tell me

'Cause you're driving me nuts

Driving me nuts!

Driving me nuts!

Gotta lose more weight

Take off your skin, take out your bones

Unique thoughts too heavy

It's not like you had a spine to begin with

I don't care what she said

I know I don't have the fakest smile

I'd rather not look in a mirror,

than not sleep again

So nice to see you, I envy the blind

Please take the wheel away from my legs

'Cause it's driving me nuts

Driving me nuts!

Driving me nuts!

My head's in the clouds, my feet are on the ground

I have a thick skull, with at least one brain

You've got two faces and a mask for each one

If I punch one of them, it'll go below the waist

I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that

Actually, I don't care, my ear's not a toilet

You're driving me nuts

Driving me nuts!

Driving me nuts!

And this is where that solo section was supposed to come in. Lyra slapped a few lines out and Lemon went along with her own solo reluctantly. But eventually, the song came to a quiet part and it was only Lyra playing a repetitive bass riff. She finally smiled at Lemon, expecting some jazzy-funky lines from her. But Lemon’s eyebrows remained furrowed, wiping Lyra’s smile away. She turned away and kept playing the filler riff. Twinkleshine noticed and skipped right into the final speedy section of the song, while Lyra took some time to realize what was happening. Her unplanned transition was less smooth.

So after that bit of stumbling and a sloppy ending that wasn’t as lively as it was supposed to be, the song ended on a rather bland note. The audience applauded mildly, though the judges clearly sensed the unease. But they chalked it up to a lack of practice.

As the curtains fell, Lyra turned angrily at Lemons Hearts. “What was that all about?!”

“I didn’t touch your solo, I left out mine.” Lemon explained as she put down her guitar, trying to not sound as angry as she really was.

“This isn’t about the solo!” Lyra raised her voice suddenly.

Lemon swung her arms open. “Then what? What is it about?”

“It’s about you acting so weird and ruining the song!” Lyra shouted. “It’s like you don’t give a fluff!”

“Well, I guess we’re just holding you back.” The words fell from Lemon’s mouth before she could stop them..

Lyra was slightly taken aback at that remark, but kept going. “W-well you kind of are, actually! Look at what just happened!”

“Good,” Lemon completely lost it, “then why don’t you join somebody more ambitious?!”

“Well, maybe I should!” Lyra shouted back, not even thinking about what she was saying

“How about the Dazzlings? I heard they could use a bassist!”

“At least they appreciate my passion!”

“Good! Then I wish you good luck for the future!”

“Thanks! I will!”

And with that, Lyra stormed out, the walls trembled as she slammed the door behind her. Lemon lingered for a moment, trying to grab onto the last bit of composure she had, but the tears began to fall and she fled through the other door. Twinkleshine was left behind, not knowing what to do and whom to run after. So she stayed, trapped between two shut doors.

The sound of slow clapping filled the sudden silence and the Dazzlings emerged from the shadows.

“Oh, how tragic!” Adagio’s voice drawled out, as she sarcastically applauded what had just gone down. “And here we thought that the Steel Unicorns were going to be a challenge.”

Princess Celestia’s voice crackled over the intercom as she announced the Rainbooms to be the winners of this round.

Aria leaned against Adagio “Well then,” she smirked, “better luck next time.”

“Ooooh,” Sonata shuddered with fake sympathy, “there won’t be a next time, will there?”

And then they laughed at the tears that shone so clearly on Twinkleshine’s face. She tried to confront them, but the words got stuck in the back of her throat and she ran off, tears running down her cheeks.


Lemon Hearts stomped her way through the school’s hallways, the rush of emotions leading her further and further away from the auditorium. She burst through the glass doors to the front of the school and stopped and stared at the statue before the school; a concrete horse rearing up in defiance, the red and purple sunset forming a magnificent halo around it. Lemon Hearts felt another surge in her heart and slammed her fist into the cold rock before sliding down and turning her back to it.

With her back pressed against the statue and her legs tucked in, Lemon Hearts finally allowed herself to cry. Each tear for a memory that she held so fondly, now filling her soul with excruciating pain. Questioning if Lyra, the one who’d make any boring day fun, had ever truly been her friend, or ever saw the band as more than a temporary disposable convenience.

Many sorrowful minutes have passed, but the pain was not fading. A pair of boots came to a stop in front of her, but Lemon Hearts couldn’t even bear to look up.

“Hey.” Sunset Shimmer’s voice rang softly.

Lemon could not find the energy to deal with anyone at the moment. She ignored the sympathetic bystander, hoping that she could go back into the company of her tears.

But rather than leaving her alone, Sunset sat down next to her under the horse statue. “I heard your argument backstage,” she said, “is everything alright?”

“No...” Lemon answered quickly.

“I’m sorry... This competition is really bringing the worst out of everybody.”

Lemon said nothing, just took in big heaving breaths, as her eyes dried up.

“Things... haven’t been going great with the Rainbooms either. It’s almost as if everyone’s worst aspect of their personalities have been amplified.”

“Now they got Lyra to deal with as well.” Lemon grumbled between two tearful sniffs.

“What do you mean?”

“She joined the Dazzlings....”

“No, she didn’t,” Sunset raised an eyebrow, “She ran straight out the back door.”

Lemon didn’t respond.

“Listen, I know what Lyra’s like. Remember back when…” Sunset turned away, as she dug up a memory that filled her with shame. “Back when I was terrible... She would always stand up for you and Twinkleshine, against me. She was always the loud mouth.” She turned to Lemon with a gentle smile. “No matter what was said, I can guarantee you that she didn’t mean it like that. Once Twilight finishes the spell-”

“Don’t bother Sunset, this has been brewing for a while. She always wanted more. I should have expected her to leave us at some point."

Sunset wrapped an arm around Lemon’s back. “Look, I know that Lyra is better than that and I think you know that too. Would she have protected you against me, if she didn’t care?”

Lemon sat in silence, not looking at Sunset. As the last teardrops dried up, she sniffed and turned to Sunset. “I’m sorry we couldn’t be your backup.”

“Don’t worry about it Lemon. Your friendship is more important than that.” Sunset replied before sighing. “Although, things haven’t been going well on our end either.”

“How so?”

“The Rainbooms aren’t holding together for long. Everyone’s on the edge of snapping at one another. if the spell isn’t ready soon, then... I don’t know what we’ll do.”

“Hmm, I know how that feels.”

“And the worst thing is, with my past, I can’t even help. I would just end up hurting their chances. Even the Dazzlings know how awful I was… I know, they told me.”

Lemon Hearts shook her head. “Eh, I bet they don’t actually care about all that. They just see a weakness and use it to their own gains.”

Sunset looked at her curiously, but said nothing.

“It’s like a game to them. They can’t reach you with their magic, so they reach you with words.” Lemon continued.

Sunset Shimmer smiled mildly at Lemon. “I think you might be right...”

Lemon trailed off into her own thoughts. After a moment, she turned to Sunset and gave her a faint smile.

“Right,” Sunset got up, ”I should get back in and make sure that they don’t kill each other.”

Lemon Hearts looked at the girl leaving. Once Sunset was away, Lemon got lost in her thoughts again. “...If they can’t reach you with magic, they reach you with words...” She mumbled to herself.


Sweetie Drops had been sitting alone in the bleachers for much longer than she expected. She let out a big drawn-out sigh of boredom and leaned back in her seat. She stared at the ceiling, as it proved to be more interesting than whatever was happening on the stage. She heard somebody quietly sniffing next to her. She turned and saw Twinkleshine sitting curled up with her knees to her face, whose return Sweetie Drops failed to notice. Twinkleshine’s eyes were red from tears that have been shed.

“Twinkleshine? What’s wrong?” Sweetie Drops asked.

Twinkleshine responded only with a feeble sigh.

“Where are the others?” She questioned further.

Twinkleshine hesitated to answer, but after a few quiet moments pried out the words. “W-we broke up...”

“Oh no! Why?”

“Creative differences...” Twinkleshine responded vaguely.

“I am so sorry to hear that.” Sweetie Drops wrapped her arms around her. “Is there anything I could-“ She stopped mid sentence when she saw that The Dazzlings were about to come on stage. Suddenly, her face lighted up and her comforting arms shook Twinkleshine in excitement.

Quiet drums filled the hall, as the Dazzlings emerged from the darkened stage. A soft melody was being tapped on one guitar, while the other wailed silently. And as the first verse went, the drums got louder and louder.

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh, You didn't know that you fell

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh, Now that you're under our spell

The peculiar wording made Twinkleshine look up from between her knees.

The drums got quiet again.

Blindsided by the beat

Clapping your hands, Stomping your feet

You didn't know that you fell (Oh-whoa-oh-oh-oh)

Now you've fallen under our spell (Oh-whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh)

We've got the music, Makes you move it

Got the song that makes you lose it

We say "jump", you say "how high?"

Put your hands up to the sky

Finally, the expected heavy djent sound kicked in.

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh

You didn't know that you fell

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh

Now that you're under our spell

By this point Twinkleshine was really paying attention. Were the Dazzlings serious about that spell? It would sure explain things. The squabbling had completely stopped at this point and the students swayed around to the beat almost as if they were being hypnotized. Even Sweetie Drops was enamoured with the show. That paired with the peculiar wording of the song, Twinkleshine slowly began to piece together what was going on.

Listen to the sound of my voice (Oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh)

Soon you'll find you don't have a choice (Oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh)

Captured in the web of my song (Oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh)

Soon you'll all be singing along (Oh-whoa-oh)

We've got the music, Makes you move it

Got the song that makes you lose it

We say "jump", you say "how high?"

Put your hands up to the sky

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh, You didn't know that you fell

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh, Now that you're under our spell

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh, You didn't know that you fell

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh, Now that you're under our

Spell...

As the song ended and the crowd cheered. The Dazzlings basked in the praise of both the crowd and the judges. The audience of rowdy teenagers had been only hostile to every band before them, now they stood in rapture towards the newest members of the school. Twinkleshine was in complete disbelief, as Sweetie Drops next to her joined in with the cheering.

“Woo! They’re so awesome, aren’t they?!” Sweetie Drops cheered.

“Oh my gosh!” Twinkleshine bolted up from the bench. “How can they get away with this?!” Without waiting for an answer, she ran out.

“Well, I thought it was good.” Sweetie Drops pouted.

Twinkleshine raced down the hallways, now darkened by the setting sun, only stopping to peek into side alcoves and empty classrooms.

“Come on, where the hay are you two?” She grumbled to herself. She quickly turned a corner only to slam into somebody.

She rubbed her head and took a look at whom she ran into. And once she saw who it was, she jumped to her feet.

“Lemon!” Twinkleshine reached forward and grasped her distraught friend in a tight bear hug.

“Twinkleshine!” Lemon weakly tried to return the hug, but Twinkleshine pulled back suddenly, grabbed her by the shoulders and started shaking her.

“You are under their spell! You are under their spell!” Twinkleshine screamed.

Lemon shook off Twinkleshine’s grasp and righted herself. “What are you talking about?”

“It’s the new girls! Those... those Dazzlings! They’ve been making you and Lyra fight with their evil magic!”

“What?”

“They just sang about their spell!”

“Wait, so they just admitted it?”

“You are under our spell, that’s literally what they said”

“And everyone was okay with it?”

“More than okay, they were swaying to the beat, like zombies! Even Drops!”

“Wow, I guess it’s more serious than we thought.”

“We need to find Lyra!”

Lemon Hearts stopped at this desperate declaration. She took a deep breath and prepared herself, “And I think I know where.”

Lemon Hearts and Twinkleshine ran out of the school and down the block until they reached the gates of the local town park. Some kind of music could be heard in the distance. Lemon Hearts peeked her head through the gate and upon a glance saw their erstwhile bassist sitting alone on a park bench near the lake, lightly picking at her lyre.

Lemon approached her, after motioning Twinkleshine to stay behind. “So you didn’t join the Dazzlings after all.” She said, not sure how to broach a conversation so soon after their argument.

Lyra's fingers stopped plucking at the strings but said nothing in return. She didn’t even look at her.

Lemon, seeing as her light-hearted opening didn’t work, she sat down next to Lyra on the bench. “Look Lyra, I’m sorry about giving the win to the Rainbooms for free.”

“It’s not about the winning...” Lyra's head hung over her lyre, her hair shadowing over her eyes.

“What do you mean?”

Lyra shifted in place for a moment before speaking. “...I wanted to win sure, but that wasn’t the point.” Her eyes finally rose to meet Lemon Hearts’.

Lemon Hearts was shocked to see that the usual fire in Lyra’s eyes had been extinguished by tears.

“I know how much that whole competition business ruined the fun for you and I was just looking forward to see you have fun again. We wrote that song together and it’s always such a special feeling to play that song with you. I was looking forward to that, ya know.”

“Oh... I hadn’t thought about it that way.”

“At least the Rainbooms got to win, I guess...”

“If it helps at all, they probably would have won anyway.” Lemon then motioned to Twinkleshine to come over. Lemon Hearts and Twinkleshine stared at one another as Twinkleshine just stood there cluelessly, even when Lemon motioned for her to speak.

“What?” Twinkleshine asked, really not knowing what Lemon wanted.

“Come on Twinkie! The Dazzlings? Their song? Their spell!?”

“Oh yeah... So the Dazzlings just admitted to casting a spell on everybody.”

Lyra stared blankly at her friends blinking widely. She then jolted up. “Wait, really?”

“You are under our spell, that’s what they said. They even had the school swaying around like mindless zombies.”

“So what you’re saying is,” Lyra narrowed her eyes, “that Lem’ ruined our song and performance for no reason then?”

“What she’s saying is,” Lemon Hearts quickly corrected, “that they got to us as well. I was mad at you, sure, but I would never intentionally mess up a performance like that.”

Lyra grinned sheepishly and scratched the back of her head, “Heh... I haven’t been my best self either, have I? I probably didn’t help you in having fun, with all that cheerleading.”

“Yeah, you didn’t.” Lemon smiled. “But to be fair, you were under a spell... Just like me.”

Lyra returned the smile, before her face turned somber again. “Guys, there’s something you two should know.”

“What is it?” Lemon asked, though she had an idea where this was going.

Lyra sighed deeply and met Lemon Heart’s eyes, “Earlier tonight I was cornered by the Dazzlings after our first show. You know how I kept playing after that string broke? Yeah, they were super-impressed by that. They offered me a place in their band… They said you two are holding me back… And the worst part is... I genuinely considered it... But even just thinking about leaving you two behind made me feel awful. Even after our fight I just... I couldn’t bring myself to do it… Now that I think about it, they probably weren’t actually serious about it. Just dangling that carrot in front of my face and making me walk straight into the abyss.”

“And I’m sorry too,” Lemon put her hand on Lyra’s shoulder, “I should have talked to you after hearing what they said, instead of getting so testy.”

“Wait, you heard that?”

“Oh… Yeah… I did…” Lemon grinned nervously. “I got impatient and went looking for you.”

“Haha, no wonder you had that attitude.” Lyra chuckled. “I would have been pretty miffed too, especially with their magic mind-bugs in my brain.” Lyra sighed with relief then jumped to her feet. ”But you know what? This just proves that, even when the battle is rigged with evil sorcery, the Steel Unicorns will still prevail! The Dazzlings and the Rainbooms can have their magical shenanigans, but our friendship beats any magic!

Lemon jumped to her feet as well and hugged Lyra tightly. “Ah, glad to have you back Lyra!”

Twinkleshine clasped her hands in front of her face. “So... Does this mean we’re not splitting up?”

Lyra and Lemon looked at each-other and spoke in unison.

“Of course, not!”

“The Steel Unicorns will live forever!”

Twinkleshine giggled with joy and embraced the two of them. With all tension dissolving among them, they laughed, as they held one-another in their arms. The Dazzlings’ spell has completely dissipated from them and they could finally cherish their friendship again, as new tears have emerged in their eyes.

Their moment was interrupted by the sound of somebody gasping for air and the girls turned to see a purple dog wheezing at their feet.

“Isn’t that Twilight’s dog?” Twinkleshine pointed at the dog.

“I’m so glad I found you!” The dog said. “The Rainbooms need your help, they’re trapped!”

The three of them stared in disbelief for a moment, before Lyra broke the question: “Yo, did that dog just talk?”