• Published 10th May 2019
  • 977 Views, 35 Comments

Not The Obvious Answer - Jhoira



Applejack has been getting anonymous love letters and it's starting to annoy her.

  • ...
3
 35
 977

The Dinner (May 11th, Saturday evening.)

Applejack looked around the restaurant. ”My goodness. Sure is busy in here ain’t it?”

Coco nodded. ”Mhmm, but I would assume they're used to it?”

Applejack smiled and raised a hoof, rubbing Coco’s cheek. ”You sure are a worrier aren’t you sugar cube? I think it'll be fine, let's get our seats eh?” Coco nodded and followed Applejack to the maitre d. ”How do. I have a reservation for two under Apples.”

The maitre d was an older piny who was wearing a finely tailored suit, and a monocle. ”Very good madam, but I must point out that we have a dress code here. I'm afraid I must ask you to remove your hat.”

”Aww shucks.” Applejack already didn't like this place now, the food had better be good. Applejack started to reconsider the issue when she heard the small squeal from Coco when they entered the proper dining area, also properly hatless. Applejack had to agree it was darn pretty. The main attraction for the eyes was the large chandelier made of precious gems and light up with many candles. The rest of the area was swathed in fine silks and bright little organizations of more precious gems. The booths were nicely private, and the one that Coco and Applejack were sat on, though surrounded due to the packed restaurant only a faint background hum could be heard through the thin curtains hung around, Applejack realized they were as much to enhance the privacy of the diners as for the aesthetic appeal. As the waiter left them with menu's Applejack perused it just through pure curiosity, she was intending to order that ratitilla that Coco suggestion. Raritulla? Ratillia? Ratmongous? Applejack shook her head and looked up at Coco. "What was that dish you suggested me to sugar cube?"

Coco giggled as she looked over her own menu at Applejack. "Ratatouille Applejack." Coco looked through the menu, smiling as she considered her own options. "Could I get the cassoulet Applejack?"

Applejack nodded, though she did flip through the menu to see the prices of the items that they were ordering. They weren't the worst overpriced things in the world, especially not on the menu. It did bother her spending this much on a meal, but the reason she was so busy was the farm was doing quite well, so she had some bits to spare, and if this was a one time thing, or, very rare thing, once every few months, she could justify it, Coco did seem to love it here. "Sure thing sugar cube."

Coco beamed and like magic, which Applejack wouldn't put past the waiter as he was a unicorn, the waiter appeared. "Are the madams ready to order?"

Applejack nodded. "Sure are, I'll have the ratatouille." The waiter nodded and paused, noting down the order on his note pad, and then paused for a longer time, the waiter and Coco were both watching Applejack causing her to squirm a bit in her seat. "Uh... That's... All for me thanks."

The waiter looked a little non-plussed. "And for the lady?"

Applejack nodded, wondering what took him so long to ask but then noticed that both the other ponies were still looking at her until Coco's eyes widened slightly and she giggled, causing the waiter to look over to her. "Oh, hehe. I'll have the cassoulet."

"Very good madam." He magicked their menus over and smiled, "I do apologize but I must warn you to expect a slightly longer wait than unusual, we are very busy tonight. We will, of course, be as quick as possible."

Applejack waved a hoof, smiling. "Oh, don't fret it, I know about bein' busy." The waiter nodded, not having expected anything more than a cursory 'understood' answer if even that. But it did make him smiled a bit as he walked away, she may not be overly proper, but the orange pony sure was friendly. "Coco, do I have something on my face?" Coco blinked, surprised and shook her head. "Then why were you both staring at me?"

Coco giggled again. "Applejack, it is traditional for the stallion to order for the mare. Or more recently just whoever orders first just orders for both of the couple."

Applejack blinked. "Well, that's odd... Er... I mean... Sorry for messin' that up for you Coco."

Coco giggled and shook her head. "It was way funnier this way."

Applejack grinned. "Well, I'm glad I could amuse ya sugar cube." She opened her mouth to say something else before looking over and seeing a veritable stream of waiters coming out of the kitchen with plates and trays. "What the hay..." Their waiter returned to their table only a few minutes after they'd placed their order, setting down in front of them each a tray of food, that were indeed their orders. "Uh... That was quick."

The waiter smiled. "Yes madam, we received some unexpected help in the kitchen. We will have chocolate souffle's for your each in twenty minutes." As Applejack opened her mouth again the waiter floated her over a small note. "This should explain it, madam, enjoy your meals." As the waiter walked off Applejack read the note.

Heya Applejack!
Things went well between me and Rarity, so I have a request. Could you take Coco home with you? I assume you have a spare bedroom in that farm house of yours. Or have her share yours, your choice. I'd appreciate it if me and Rarity had the boutique to ourself tonight. I got your meals comped because I helped them out in the kitchen, also got you some nice desserts. I mean, if Coco and/or you wanted to come back to the boutique I'd be ok with that, you're both cute as buttons, but ya know, you Earth Ponies tend more towards the conservative side than we Unicorns do.
Thanks!
Minuette

Coco tilted her head as Applejack's face was stuck between embarrassment, annoyance, and some emotion Coco couldn't read. "What is it Applejack." Applejack just handed the note over to Coco who blushed brightly as she read it. "Oh my..."