• Published 3rd Dec 2018
  • 524 Views, 7 Comments

Fragile Rainbow - Synli



An abrupt awakening from a nightmare causes Rainbow Dash to bolt from her house. With a friend’s troubled expression vivid in her memories and a deep sense of loss in her gut, where will she go?

  • ...
 7
 524

Sudden Awakening

Nestled comfortably in her bed, the yellow Pegasus was sleeping peacefully in the early hours of the morning. A blissful smile revealed the nature of the mare’s dream as she nuzzled deeper into the pillow with a content sigh. “Oh Dashie~”

It wasn’t unusual for the rainbow-maned mare to make appearances in Fluttershy’s dreams, in fact she had been a reoccurring star in them since the first day they had become friends. The bravery and kindness the cyan mare had displayed by standing up to her bullies had seen to many dreams where she was saved by her new friend. The dreams may have changed from those of a starry-eyed filly afraid of her own shadow to those of a grown mare, but they never lost their fairy tale spark. The first occurrence of romance in one of her nightly adventures had brought about a giddy sensation in the mare when she was awoken by the morning’s birdsong. Rainbow Dash had never figured out why she couldn’t look her friend in the eyes for a week after without a crimson blush spread across her cheeks.

Sadly birdsong wasn’t what called her from Luna’s realm of dreams this morning as a series of rushed knocks jolted her from the embrace of peaceful slumber. For a few moments the canary-yellow Pegasus lay still in her bed as she attempted to recapture the memory of the dream before it could flee. Another series of thuds against her front door finally drew Fluttershy from beneath her covers with a wistful sigh.

As the gentle Pegasus made her way through her darkened cottage and reached the front door a muffled sob reached her ears. Worried at the thought that somepony could need her help or be in some sort of trouble prompted her to swiftly pull her large door open. A familiar warmth spread through her as she caught sight of her oldest friend only for it to lessen when she remembered the miserable sounding sobbing.

“Rainbow? Cider season doesn’t start till next-.” Fluttershy’s words stopped as soon as they had begun as the owner of the rainbow mane turned towards the sound of her voice. The sight of her friend’s unkempt mane and reddened eyes earned a worried grimace from the shy mare. Empathetic tears pricked at the corner of her eyes as she noticed her friend’s matted coat where tears had likely already fallen. Before she could put together a response to ask what had happened a grin forced its way onto the blue mare’s muzzle.

“Hey Shy. My bad, guess I jumped the gun again. Sorry for waking ya.” Fluttershy’s heart sank as her friend’s magenta eyes lowered to the ground and she turned and began to disembark before she had a chance to say anything. A sudden sense of panic washed over the shy mare and before she knew it her hooves and wings had wrapped themselves around her friend.

Don’t go, Rainbow…

“Rainbow. Come inside, please?” She felt the other mare bristle beneath the unexpected physical contact and for a second she began to worry that she had upset her friend. Despite the beginning of a struggle from the shaky Pegasus, she soon fell still and remained silent in her embrace. The thought that her protector would be so unwilling to be in her embrace hurt a little, but she refused to allow her friend to leave in such a state.

Her hooves and wings fell away from her friend and after a few more seconds of utter silence, the other mare let out a defeated sigh as she gave in. In the early morning the yellow mare smiled as she closed the door behind her friend, already focused on the task of helping the other mare feel better.

Author's Note:

A bit of a smaller chapter this time, I thought that it might be nice to see things from a certain shy mare's point of view. As well as give you a chance to learn a few things about her relationship with her best friend.