• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 814 Views, 6 Comments

Flight of the Harmony - SteamPoweredStallion



In a steampunk equestria seven ponies have to undertake an airship adventure to defeat an evil plot.

  • ...
3
 6
 814

Order of Business

"Do either of you have a reason why I should let you set you hooves on my ship again?"

Derpy kept staring into nothingness, while Rainbow Dash grumbled something.

After driving the airship back to the factory, with a platoon of guards watching their every move, the two pegasi had been transported into the administration building of the factory, in a room which appeared to be the mixture of an interrogation room and a boudoir.

Two high-intensity gas lamps pointed in their faces were the only light source in the room, as Rarity questioned them from her chaise lounge.

"You have endangered half of Ponyville and my factory, destroyed a historical building, cost me a veritable fortune and scratched the paint on my masterwork."

"..."

"And yet, you have demonstrated an unsurpassed prowess. So, the question should be, what am I to do with you?"

Another stony silence.

"Do you now want the job?"

For a few other seconds, Rainbow remained silent. Sweat dripped across her face down to her muzzle, and the light forced her to keep her eyes half-closed.

She tried her hardest to hold back, to suppress her desire. Then she gave in.

"I... I would do anything.... to have that ship again."

"Anything?"

Rainbow lowered her head, trying hard to swallow her pride.

"Anything. I would even work without pay..."

"I wasn't going to pay you anyway."

"...but I have a condition. You won't hire her too!" She pointed at the gray pegasus.

Derpy sprung up. "Why?"

"This is the second ship of mine you've crashed and you're asking why?"

"I didn't mean to...."

"You... you just don't..."

"Now, now, darlings, there's no need to argue. I'm sure we can come to an understanding."

"Not with her," said Rainbow Dash, crossing her front hooves. "You have no idea what she's capable of."

"Well, then, why don't you tell me. What was this accident in which she crashed your ship?"

"She..."

For a few seconds, silence fell on the room again. Rainbow looked at Derpy, then at Rarity. Derpy's expression had quickly changed from angry, to confused, and then to devious. Rarity seemed to have caught on to something.

"...I... don't think there's any need for it."

"Oh, but pleeease, I'd just love to hear this tale."

"I'd rather... not say it."

"Well, then, I see no reason not to hire her."

Derpy grinned. Rainbow considered her options.

"...You win this one, Derpy."

---

Ponyville had grown. This was obvious, but there was something to its growth that resembled a plant.
Ponyville was a tree. A apple tree giving out fruits of metal, fabric and bricks.

And who cared if a few branches had been cut off for these fruits to grow?

Stepping back into Ponyville was a sorrowful return for Applejack. She wasn't usually a sentimental pony; her hometown, however, had a special place in her heart, a place nothing else would fill.

When she had left her home, many years before, to join the Royal Army, the separation had been just as painful: she wanted to hug and say farewell to every single tree in the orchard.

But she had to leave; it came down to her or her brother, and he was more needed in the farm. So she had to go off and ensure at least a good salary.

There had been a time when the Apple Family orchards were the main source of food and income in Ponyville. Then came the industries, the machines, the increase in productivity and the improvement of times and methods.

And someone had to be left behind.

Pruning branches to allow the tree to grow.

And now she was back. Celestia had personally picked her to be her officer on the airship Harmony, something which never failed to make her feel proud. Maybe it was just to allow her to come back, maybe it was because one of her old friends was on board.

Anyway, the princess took interest in her; few honors were higher than that.

Anyway. The first order of business was to meet Lady Rarity- after that, there would've been time to...

"BIG SIS! YOU'RE BACK!"

Before Applejack could realize it, a cannon ball in the shape of her sister Applebloom hit her and the orange pony found herself clenched in a hug tighter than the grapple of most fighters.

"Yup... nice to see...ya... shugahcube... could you... let... me... breathe...?"

Applebloom detached herself from her sister's neck.

"You're back! I can't believe it!"

"It has been a while, ain't it?" Applejack backed off a bit "And look at you! Ya've grown so much! You were just a li'l foal and now you're..."

"There is so much I have to tell you! You know, Granny didn't believe you were coming back, so I said..."

"Shugahcube, Ah...ah really have to..."

"...So she said I was just making up excuses, and come on, I wasn't..."

"...Ah have to meet someone and... wait... what are you doin' here near the factory?"

"Oh, I was just hangin' out with Sweetie Belle."

"Huh?" Applejack struggled to remember if she had ever heard the name anywhere.

"That's Rarity's little sister."

"Oh, yeah... no... that Rarity?"

"No. Her sister."

"Rarity's sistah..." Applejack's eye twitched.

"Big Sis...?"

---

"...Let's go over this once again. The main boiler?"

"Boiler bolted and prepared. Check."

"The connection tubes?"

"Fixed and strengthened. Check."

"The turbines?"

"Turbines mounted, oiled and prepared. Check."

"The pressure gauges?"

"Gauges at normal values. Check."

"The coal injection system?"

"Dragon-sized shovel primed and ready. Check."

"I detect a hint of hostility, Spike."

"Gee, Twilight, maybe it has to do with the fact that the only manual labor that you haven't made automatic is mine."

"I've already told you, Spike, we don't have time to build another machine. We have to leave tomorrow. And we've barely begun the third check of the engine! And then we have to pack my things! And check that too! We'll be up all night!"

"Why?! There's no way we're actually going to leave by tomorrow! We're missing two members of the crew, Rarity's personal baggage alone weights more than the ship's full capacity and I need my beauty rest."

Twilight shot a destructive gaze to her assistant.

"I think you've been spending too much time with Rarity. Anyway, the Queen's officer will be here today. She promised us that. As for the medical officer... I have no idea. I just hope Rarity isn't too picky."

"She's just doing what's best for everyone."

"Well, now I know you've been spending too much time with Rarity. Now, please, let's get back to work. We've wasted at least three minutes and forty-five seconds which could have been devoted to double-checking."

"Is my beautiful ship at the best of its capacity yet?"

Rarity strolled down the stairs into the Harmony's engine room, followed by a yellow pegasus with a pink mane.

"We're making sure. The engines seem fine... at least, better than I'd expect after such an ordeal."

"Marvelous. Now, meet our expedition's medical doctor, Fluttershy."

Rarity stepped aside, leaving the pegasus in full sight. She took a halfhearted step forward with an awkward smile.

"I'm Professor Twilight Sparkle, and this is Spike. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you." The pegasus' response was barely a whisper.

"She's such a quiet and lovely girl. I just need to introduce her to Pinkie Pie. Where is she, anyway? I haven't seen her all day!"

"I haven't seen her either. I thought she was with you, actually."

"Good. So we are late on schedule, I still have to contact the press and we can't find two of our crew members. Twilight, make sure my fainting couch is in good condition. I have a feeling I'll be needing it before today is done."