• Published 9th Aug 2021
  • 302 Views, 4 Comments

The legend of Catasis Velon and the Caemarie - AudioWave Dasher



A Pegasus pony stumbles into Canterlot to ask Princess Celestia for help

  • ...
3
 4
 302

CHAPTER 2 - Dr. Silvercrest

CHAPTER 2 - Dr. Silvercrest

It was early morning and it was cool outside. The weather had already turned cold some weeks prior, but this was the first really cold morning of the season. Peering above the stone window sill I could see the castle courtyard looking down from my fourth story study. The trees beyond the castle grounds looked like large barren sticks protruding from the ground. The leaves had already fallen from them and the weather was turning, and it wouldn’t be long now before the snow would layer the cobblestones in a blanket of white.

Audio walked over to his desk and sat down, preparing to do the days work for the kingdom when chill air came through the window. It felt good this time of year and was a welcome relief from the summer heat that befell them a season ago. Audio wasn’t not one to complain about the cool, brisk air, as he loved the changing seasons in this part of the world, the part of Equestria he called his home.

He enjoyed being surrounded by the many books that lined his book cases that filled the room. He had read most of them. On occasion his travels would take him far. Sometimes to meet with distinguished rulers throughout Equestria. Sometimes to places beyond Equestria’s borders on diplomatic errands for the Princesses. Sometimes he met with strangers who have never even heard of Equestria. Audio was used to meeting strange folk in strange places as he handled many of the Princesses foreign affairs for the kingdom. They often hand selected him for special assignments that would require him to travel, due to the delicate nature of diplomacy. For the matters of the Princesses and the growing threats outside of Equestria meant they wanted him to be their eyes and ears for matters pertaining to certain affairs occurring in other kingdoms. His work was sometimes very easy going with friendly dignitaries in friendly lands. And other times it was downright dangerous. What he was not aware of, was how one particular assignment that would stand out among the others on the many adventures he’d seen.

Audio sat back in his chair in his 4th floor study and stretched. He arrived the day before from the dystopian mountains of the Tanabarae. The mountains of that area were especially frigid and rocky to the north, but the valleys, rivers and fields were exquisitely beautiful and stretched on for as far as the eye could see. The valleys which were low enough in elevation to not have snow on them in between the mountains were flush with winter ice flowers in bloom, and the lakes were ice cold from the snow run-off from the mountains. There he conferred with the elders and the citizens of that region and informed them of the new dangerous creatures in the area, and what could be done about them. His adventures in that part of the world, perhaps a story for another day.

Audio adjusted his Daring Do figurine on his desk and was preparing to start the mornings work just as Dr. Silvercrest, a Historian from the Museum of Canterlot, and an official member of the Royal Canterlot diplomatic cabinet entered the room.

"Good morning, Sir Audio! I didn't expect you to be back until next week." Said Dr. Silvercrest with a light hearted grin as he took off his glasses to shine them. "Glad to see you're okay."

"Adventure and duty wait for no pony, my good Doctor. What can I do for you today?”

Dr. Silvercrest was an older pony that wore a tan colored coat, had a shaggy white beard and glasses. Dr. Silvercrest was an earth pony and had a cutie mark of a silver shield and two crossed swords behind it with a diagonal line going through the center. On the upper right side was a rose and the lower a crest. It seems the Dr. was destined for royal duties, and I believe the rose stood for compassion. He always had a knack for discovering what ponies wanted, and it made him outstanding at his job as member of the Royal Canterlot cabinet. I suppose it was his duty, and part Equestrian magic that his special talent allowed him to be an effective arbitrator and settle disputes between ponies, and inevitably countries. It made him perfect for his royal position. And I was glad he was on our side. They had worked together on different occasions and you could call them friends. Dr. Silvercrest had done some secret work in the past with Daring Do, and even had a run-in's with Dr. Caballeron himself. Dr. Silvercrest’s primary role was a diplomat for the kingdom of Canterlot. But he had been taking more and more time off from his royal duties in his old age to attend to the curator position at the museum.

"I wanted to let you know there is trouble in the desert again. There are two cities in the barony of the Carmarie that have engaged in some sort of a dispute, and the nearby city is outraged by the tyranny of it’s overruling neighbor. Or at least that’s what I can make of it. One of the cities is enacting severe sanctions over the other, blocking trade routes and refusing to let anyone in or out of the city. But luckily it has not yet come to war. I had a conversation with the Royal Canterlot Regional Ambassador and the Emissary for the Caemarie. She and her parliament are deeply concerned. Apparently they're worried about the intentions of a nearby neighboring city, the Catasis Velon."

"Catasis Velon? Isn’t that the legendary city under the ocean?” Audio asked.

“Aye. You’ve been there before, huh.”

Audio knew of the magical city was sometimes talked about in that part of the world. He had been away on a diplomatic mission to the Caemarie only once many years ago, and stopped in a nearby town called Himeotep that was some distance from the Catasis Velon. another city called the Ra-Amon that was home to pony kind, which was the capital of the Caemarie region. The Catasis Velon was an underwater city rumored to be seeral miles out to sea and was as much as mile under the ocean. Or so the legends said. Only a handful of ponies had ever heard or seen it, and none were from Equestria.

"We had a meeting while you were gone over the last several days about whether it involves Equestria, and Princess Celestia is divided whether we should get involved or not.”

“Has she contacted the other Princesses?”

“Indeed she has. I’m sure you must have heard of it, it’s not the first time you’ve been to that area.””

Audio had heard bits and pieces of the underwater city, but only in passing. He spent a short time in the city, less than a day running aa diplomatic errand for the Princesses. But he had never met anyone who had actually been been to the Catasis Velon. How many of those ponies who ever mentioned it in passing had actually ever seen it with their own eyes? Probably not very many. Probably closer to none. But it was said the borders were free to pass by anyone who wanted to go there and there was an entire population of air breathers who lived there who were free to stay as long as they pleased. All that’s required was the magical ability to reach it, despite it’s rather difficult nature of being a mile under the ocean. Audio had heard in fact that quite a many pony folk actually live there.

“It is said a giant sphere encompasses the city while at the same time keeping the water out.” Said the Dr. “They say it’s a combination of air breathers and water breathers that live there, among others who seek the trade city to do business in. The city is shared by both air breathers and water breathers, along with many other types of creatures that visit and inhabit the city as it’s a trade hub and fabled for its magnificent beauty alone. It’s really quite a wonder.”

“What can you tell me about the water breathers?” Audio asked.

“The water breathers of the Catasis Velon are a race of sea creatures called the Veloran who built the city and are able to breathe the air contained within the sphere. Their bodies must have adapted some form of breathable lungs over thousands of years of evolution and so they are quite capable of breathing the air within the city that the air breathers require to live.”

Audio picked up a pencil and was twiddling it and looking at the Doctor with a sort of fascination. He had passed within twenty miles of the Ra-Amon, but had never heard or knew this much about the under water city before or it’s inhabitants. He made it a point and thought maybe he’d stop by the library and do some research before he retired to his quarters for the night. If, that is, there was much about it to be read at all.

“The beauty and architecture of the city is said to be unrivaled,” Said the Doctor. “It’s really a wonder of this world, and that’s why some ponies choose to stay there. The Veloran also have another form. Their aquatic form. With this the Veloran are still very much, how shall I put this, wild animals. It is told they still hunt outside of the sphere to food. But their waterborne ancestors still live and breath the water and live among the deep water ocean dwellers, although the ones who built the city are sentient. News from that part fo the world hardly reaches this far into the heart of Equestria. The only reason I know is because it’s the Princesses job to know all the foreign lands that surround Equestria. It’s an ancient civilization that’s thousands of years old and they keep themselves isolated for the most part. It's people and culture are rarely known to outsiders, save for only a few that have ever heard of it, and even fewer have ever been there. The Ra-Amon is located in one of the most inhospitable deserts on the planet, don’t forget.

"Have you spoken with the Ambassador for the Caemarie?" Audio asked.

"Yes, she believes the Chancellor and the Veloran are to blame. The city itself is purported to be a city of peace and have lived that way for thousands of years. But, according to the emissary and the Ambasador the Veloran say they have an ancient claim to the land of the Caemarie where the Ra-Amon was built. The Chancellor of the Catasis Velon has put sanctions over the city and blocked all trade routes putting great pressure on the region. They are blocking cargo shipments carrying food from reaching the ports for delivery. As far as we can tell, the ponies in that part of the world haven’t done anything to provoke the sanctions. The city of Ra-Amon is a peaceful one and has never known war."

"What else did the Ambassador say?"

"She has pleaded for Canterlot for help. Zephyrwind is a Pegasus pony, and she flew here to meet with the Royal Ambassador to Equestria…”

Audio stopped twiddling his pencil. “Wait a second... She flew here? The Caemarie is nearly two thousand miles away."

"Yes,” said the Dr. “She nearly passed out when she arrived in Canterlot two days ago, exhausted from nearly several days of non stop flying. Her reason was urgent. The Princess is reluctant to send any guards to settle the region. She wants to send YOU instead."

"ME?" Audio exclaimed. "I can’t settle a dispute on behalf of two fighting cities half way across the globe I just got back from a diplomatic mission."

"But, you’re the one who has been there before, right?" Said Dr. Silvercrest, with a big grin on his face.

Audio saw where he was going with this, he was trying to rope him into going there. So Audio decided to play along. “Aye. I was in the region, once…"

“So you know the ponies there?” He interjected.

“I know of them.” Audio corrected. “I’ve only been to the Caemarie on one other occasion. And it was for only half a day in Himeotep. And from what you say, I gather the two cities are on the brink of war. I can imagine the region isn’t exactly safe right now... There’s gotta be a mix of many different magical creatures. Not to mention a potentially corrupt leadership that has absolutely no relations with Equestria and sounds like they’re about a half step away from declaring outright war. Plus did I mention it’s a mile under the ocean. Did I mention that part? It's dangerous. I wouldn’t even have any idea how to get there."

“Well, you fly, like the Ambassador, of course. And of course it’s dangerous!” Exclaimed the Dr. “Isn’t danger your middle name, Mr. Dasher? At any rate, I’m sure you’ll be fine. It’s nothing you haven’t handled before. After all, this is what you do, isn’t it?”

“Did I mention it’s also a mile under the ocean?” Audio repeated sarcastically. “And last time you told me my middle name was; ‘Adventure pony’ just to clear that up to get me to go to Vanhoover, all because you wanted maple syrup and hockey pucks.”

“The maple syrup was wonderful by the way, and the hockey pucks do make for a great paper weights for my desk.” Dr. Silvercrest turned around and reached into his saddle bag where Audio couldn’t see him. Then he turned around with his eyebrows raised and asked and pulled out a large decanter of cider. Then with about as much charm as cupid, turned to Audio with his: "Audio, would you care for a drink?"

Audio’s eyes lit up at the bottle, and the change of topic. Dr Silvercrest knew very well it was his favorite kind. Sparkling rose from belchers. Imported from the magical vineyards of the arc country, specifically in season this time of year. The Dr. was a pony who was very well versed in negotian and certainly had a way with persuasion…

"Alright," said Audio. "I’ll play along. There are two mugs over on the bookshelf. Help yourself."

Dr. Silvercrest walked over to the bookshelf and retrieved the mugs and poured two mugs full, replacing the glass top of the decanter with a clank, and placed the remaining bottle on my fireplace mantle top to keep.

"The Princess thought you'd be perfect for the job." He said.

"Oh?” Audio asked nonchalantly, taking a sip of his cider. “And, what about you?"

"Oh absolutely!" He said with a smile. "You have the mind of a dignitary. There wouldn’t be anypony more suited to the task than you, Mr. Dasher. You are an adventure pony that can’t be kept satiated! You know very well you can’t live without adventure. You’re too much like Rainbow Dash."

"Ahh yes," Audio said with a nod, taking another sip. “I think I may have heard of her. She part of that other group that saves Equestria from time to time?”

"Aye, that she is. She's a very feisty pony Mr. Dasher, much like you."

Audio nodded. “Is that so? Competitive, eh?"

"Very much so. She doesn't like to lose." Replied the Dr. sipping from his mug.

"Oh really?" Audio replied, with a hint of mild curiosity and one eyebrow raised.

"She and her friends have saved Canterlot on many occasions. Just like you, Mr. Dasher.”

"Oh really..." I humbly snorted.

"Surely you've heard of Pinkie Pie's party cannon before, yes?"

Audio burst out laughing and nearly spit his drink onto his desktop papers. "Yes, yes. Of course I’ve heard."

Audio paused for a moment, considering all things very carefully, then asked; "What does the Princess of friendship have to say about this?"

Dr. Silvercrest took one long last gulp from his mug and placed the empty cup on my desk and started to walk away. "She wishes for you to keep good relations with the diplomats and the citizens of the Caemarie. And of course..." He paused for dramatic effect. "And of course, to make friends along the way.” Then he made his way to the door.

"Wait a second Dr. Silvercrest, how do you know I'll accept the deployment? I haven't said if I’d accept the assignment yet."

Then he adjusted his glasses one final time, and said: "Because you can't walk away from adventure, Mr. Dasher. It's in your blood just as the magic of understanding and compassion is in mine." Then he smiled a boastful grin of success.

Well, he had me there...

"You meet with Princess Celestia, Luna, and the ambassador to the Caemarie tomorrow morning at nine am. Good Day Mr. Dasher. And good luck."

And slowly walked out into the hallway.