• Published 13th Nov 2018
  • 528 Views, 3 Comments

The Bonds That Break - DJ Variety



The tragic tale of Sweetie Belle. A story one part Slice of Life, One part Adventure, and One part Sorrow

  • ...
3
 3
 528

Chapter 1 (Complete and Revamped Version)

Author's Note:

Hey, so chapters are gonna be coming less and less frequently from now on. As it turns out my attention span for writing only lasts for about 1000 words but the chapters are set up to be entire days and there for longer. Initially I was just doing the 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. thing but... I didn't like that format. So, from now on I'm gonna write periodically and only post once a chapter is fully finished. This should also make the grammar and spelling better, hopefully.

So bright. I awaken to a blinding light shining onto my face from outside my bedroom window. "Why does it have to be so bright? Couldn't the weather team have started the day off partly cloudy?" I grumble too myself as I turn my back to Celestia's sun. I pull my blanket over my face to shield my eyes. Hoping for a few more minutes of sleep, but it's Wednesday and that means school.

"Sweetie Belle! I need you up and ready today. No time for sleeping in," sings Rarity from down the hall. I roll onto my back and stare up at the ceiling; I'm at Rarity's boutique again. I've always loved it here and I would do just about anything to spend time with my big sister, but I've been staying here a lot recently. My parents are always leaving town and by proxy, leaving me. There's something wrong with my parents, I know that much, however nobody will tell me. Every time I've asked Rarity she just looks at me with saddened eyes and says I'm too young and wouldn't understand. "Sweetie Belle are you coming? I've got breakfast waiting," yells Rarity a second time.

"Yeah I'm coming sis. Just give me a second," I holler back. Getting out of bed I approach the mirror in my room, my mane's a mess. I reach out with my magic and grab a brush that's sitting on my desk. Having spent my entire life around my sister I know from first hoof experience that she wouldn't appreciate my currently disheveled look. Thanks to Twilight Sparkle I now have enough magical control over my levitation spell to brush my mane effectively. This allows me to avoid Rarity having to brush it for me. I hate when she does, makes me feel like a foal. It's kind of funny because that use to be one of my favorite things when I was younger. Having Rarity dress me all up and do makeovers. Hindsight, I just enjoyed spending time with her and not having her mad or yelling at me.

"You almost finished Sweetie? I don't want your breakfast getting cold," Rarity says as she enters my room with a smile. I smile back with a wide grin. I've never been able to truly figure out why but whenever Rarity is present I always feel a bit more happy. Guess it's just family love.

"Yup. Just finishing up now. What'd you make?" I ask gleefully. With the exception of waking up to piercing rays of light this morning, everything else has gone by perfectly.

"Just some simple pancakes but I don't want them getting cold on us. So hop to it. I know how much you like sleeping in and I appreciate you making a quicker effort this morning. Maybe you'll make it to school on time today." It's not an accusatory statement but rather just an observation. My sleeping habit has caused me to be late to school nearly everyday this month. Miss Cheerilee spoke with Rarity several times about it. To my surprise Rarity never got mad. She just kept fine tuning our morning routine and we've slowly been getting it to work. It's been nice, she's been nice. Too nice.

We head down stairs to the kitchen where the pancakes are waiting. As we enter Opal is standing just on the other side of the door way. I reach out to pet her just to receive a hiss and swip at by her sharp claws. "Rarity? Why does Opal hate me?"

"She doesn't hate you Sweetie. You've just been a bit much for her in the past, that's all," replies Rarity, she's sugar coating it. She was trying to make my past escapades with her cat seem tamer then they were. I use to be quite clumsy and destructive and Opal has paid the price more than once because of it; paints, glue, glitter. Maybe Opal doesn't hate me but she definitely prefers it when I'm not around.

We start to eat the simple albeit delicious breakfast Rarity has made for us, but quickly my mind is starting to drift to other things. Less than pleasant things. If Opal doesn't like being around me then... "Rarity? Do mom and dad keep leaving because they don't like being around me?"

Rarity starts choking and coughing on her food. "What? Sweetie what makes you think that?"

"They leave a lot. They're gone more than they're home and I'm the only one who lives with them. I'm the only thing they're leaving." I answer with the straightest face and tone I could muster. I don't want to give off the appearance that it bothers me but I can tell my efforts are in vain. The hurt I feel in my heart at the thought of my parents fleeing from me was made evident by the little crack my voice at the end of my sentence. Curse these voice cracks.

"Oh, Sweetie Belle. No. It has nothing to do with you." Rarity gets up and embraces me in a hug. As much as I don't want them to my eyes start to water. It always seems like it's harder to keep your emotions inside while your being hugged.

"They use to be so happy when you lived with us. Now all they do is yell at each other. It's because I'm the only other pony there." I've never liked crying in front of other ponies, including family. Which is funny because I'm no good at holding in my emotions so I actually end up crying a lot in public. It's a curse and it embarrasses me. This time however I feel no shame. I want to be comforted, told I'm being foolish. These thoughts have been popping in and out of my head for a long time now.

"Sweetie listen to me," Rarity pushes me out of the hug and lifts my chin so our eyes meet. "Mom and dad are having some issues with each other right now but it is not your fault and I don't want you thinking it is. They both love you a lot and that will never change." There were tears building in her eyes now as well.

"Where do they go?" I ask.

"Anywhere. They leave to get a break," she answers with a sound of disgust in her voice.

"From me?" I sheepishly ask as I lower my eyes to the ground.

"What did I say about thinking like that, of course not. They leave to get a break from each other." Rarity stares at me, trying to see if I understand. I don't.

"But don't they leave together?" I'm completely lost and confused at this point. They always drop me off at Rarity's and leave together. How are they taking a break from each other if they're together?

"They leave at the same time but not always together. I know I've said this before and it must be terrible to hear but you're just too young to understand. I promise I'll explain when you're a little older but until then just know that I don't agree with their choices. Also, that I will always be here for you. I love you Sweetie Belle."

I dive back into my sisters chest as a few more tears drain from my eyes. "I love you too Rarity." The clock in the other room chimes.

"Well looks like you're going to be tardy again today. Better go and wash up. Can't be going out in public with puffy eyes now can you," teases Rarity with a chuckle and a reassuring smile. "You've got ten minutes to rejuvenate yourself. With a bit of luck you'll only be a couple minutes late for school. I'll write you a note for Miss Cheerilee telling her it's my fault and hopefully she won't count it against you."

I trot up to my room but pause at the top of the stairs. I don't know what all is going on with my parents but I'd be completely content staying with Rarity for the rest of my life. My big sister always makes me feel safe, even when she's yelling at me. She can have a bit of temper sometimes but I know that deep down that I'm always welcomed to stay with her. With her I'm wanted and loved.

"Sweetie are you all right?" Rarity asks as she catches me standing at the top of the stairs. I shake myself out of my blissful thoughts and gaze down at her.

Beaming with a huge smile I reply, "Everything's great. Just thinking about how awesome of a big sister you are."

"You're a pretty awesome sister too. Now, hurry along and get refreshed. A lady must always look her best, even if it's just for school." Rarity sometimes has a weird way with words. Makes me laugh on the inside. She treats every conversation with sophistication and class. Not much need of it here in Ponyville but it seems to make everyone feel more special. You might be a simple gardener but one conversation with my sister and you'll feel like you're an honored guest at Canterlot castle.

After splashing some water on my face and recombing my mane I head back downstairs. My stomach growls. Stupid emotional breakdown, made me forget to finish my breakfast. Rarity is waiting for me by the door, "You ready?"

"Not quite, I need to finish eating still. Kind of got distracted," I answer with an embarrassed smile. Seems to happen a lot actually. Getting embarrassed. I have a lot of quirks I guess and well, not much of a fan of any of them.

"No time. Plus I already threw out the remains. Here, the letter for Miss Cheerilee and your lunch." To say I was handed a bagged lunch and a note would be inaccurate. They were shoved at me as I myself was being shoved out the door.

"But I barely ate anything," I complain as I instinctively take the objects with my magic.

"I figured you'd be a little hungrier later today so I packed and extra apple for you. Eat it on the way if you must but there is no time to delay." Responds Rarity.

I'm out the door and a few steps outside of the boutique. One last try? "I'm already gonna be late, what's a few more minutes?" I ask.

"Oh no. As you know I've been having talks with Miss Cheerilee about your tardiness. Those aren't so bad, but what you don't know is Twilight has also been harping on me about your attendance. The importance of an education. That mare is obsessed with learning." A stern no. Rarity's answer wasn't unexpected but it was still worth a try to ask. I suppose it would have been foolish to assume I could have gotten an early morning break. It's not like I would have done anything anyway. Rarity would have to leave and go teach at Twilight's friendship school so it would have just been me. Well, and Opal but that probably wouldn't have turned into anything.

I shrug and wave goodbye to Rarity with a smile on my face. Time to start another exciting day in Ponyville. With it being the middle of the week Applebloom will have chores to do after school. Ever since Twilight opened her friendship school Apple Bloom has been busier than normal. With Applejack being away half the day teaching it leave little time for her to get everything done on the farm. Once both Apple sister's get out of school for the day there's a lot of chores that need to be finished. Since Apple Bloom can't join us the crusaders as a whole can't hang out after school, but at least I've still got Scootaloo. As always Scootaloo doesn't have much going on with the exception of the Rainbow Dash fan club that she's president of. They meet every Saturday.

While I think of ideas of what Scootaloo and I could do later, I continue to trot along towards the school yard. It's on the edge of town, on a hill. Seems cruel to make foals walk up hill just to go to school. Suppose it builds character or whatever it is adults are always saying to kids when they have to face some form of adversity.

I'm about half way to the school and glance around at the activity going on in my home town. Ponyville is always so pleasant in the mornings with friendly faces and welcoming greetings. I levitate the extra apple Rarity packed me out of my lunch bag. A beautiful, deep melody catches my ear. It's coming from inside one of the nearby houses. The town's local cellist. She's fantastic, not to mention gorgeous. My favorite part about heading to school is listening to her play.

I go to take a bite from my apple but pause. Wait, did I just call Octavia gorgeous? Hmm, that's strange. She's pretty but I've never thought of her as gorgeous before. Not being able to sleep in with this new morning routine must be getting to me. Oh well, it's still nice to hear her play. To my understanding she only has the mornings to practice in peace. For once her roommate wakes up that house will be a bit more booming.

My walk through the town is nearing its end. I'm half way up the small hill that the school resides on when the bell rings to signal that school is in session. Quickly I trot the remainder of the distance, take the last few bites of my apple, and toss the core into the garbagecan right outside the school. Rarity's new morning schedule seems to be working fairly well; I basically made it in time despite the small emotional breakdown at breakfast.

Entering the room I hear Miss Cheerilee call out, "Alright students take your seats. Time to start today's lessons." She turns to approach the chalkboard and sees me walking in. "Perfect timing Sweetie Belle, we were just about to start the morning off with some mathematics." The class moans and grumbles. None of us really like math all too much. "Go take your seat."

"Thanks Miss Cheerille," I reply as I head for my desk. As I pass by Diamond Tiara she extends her hoof and stops me.

"Barely made it on time today Sweetie Belle. If you'd like I could get you a watch if it'd help." There was a time when Diamond Tiara's comment would have been some form of teasing and using the idea of getting me a watch would have been an insult, but those days are gone. It's still strange to see her being nice towards my fellow crusaders and myself. She's our friend now but deep down I still hold a small grudge against her for all the teasing we've had to endure. I thank her for her offer but decline. She smiles and nods at me. Yup, still weird.

Slipping into my seat by Applebloom and Scootaloo I pull out some paper and prepare to start taking notes. The lesson is as it always is, Miss Cheerilee writing problems on the bored while we would copy them and write the answer. It was boring and repetitive. My mind starts to wander.

Why would my parents want a break from each other? If it isn't because of me and they are just trying to get distance between themselves, then why wouldn't only one of them leave and the other stay with me? Something grabs at my heart and squeezes as I contemplate my family. I can feel my emotions boiling around inside me, feel the water in my eyes. Glancing around I make sure no one is watching and taking notice of my inner turmoil. Mentally I scold myself. I hate crying in public, so I force myself to think of something happier.

Rarity. It seems like I've spent so much time with her. More time with her then my parents as of recent, and I'm okay with that. At some point I started to rely on my sister more than my parents. Who cares what happens to my parents? I've got Rarity. I continue to repeat this in my head over and over to myself. All the sadness and hurt starts to turn to anger. Anger toward my parents for leaving me, for putting me in this position. Who needs them? I've got Rarity. I take a breath. Being angry isn't any better then being sad. It can be just as embarrassing. Plus I don't really want to be mad at my parents. What else can I think of?

Octavia. Her incredible skills with music. The truly inspiring notes she plays that I can't help but hum along with. That adorable way she bends her back right as she hits that big note at the apex of a dramatic song. Her sleek mane draping down her back ending right above her round, perfectly plump...

"Sweetie Belle, ya alright?" I blink and shake my head.

"Huh, what?" I snap out of my haze and look around. The entire class, including Miss Cheerilee, are staring at me with puzzled expressions.

"Earth to Sweetie Belle?" Applebloom asks while waving her hoof in front of my face this time. "Ya sighed real loud like and then just sat there grinnin'."

My cheeks begin to burn from embarrassment. Everyone is staring at me waiting for an answer. I sighed audibly? And loud enough for everyone to hear? Because I was thinking about Octavia and her...? I gulp, this is so embarrassing. Quick got a think of something fast. "I just... really like math?" Stupid, stupid idiot. That isn't gonna help any, it'll only make things worse.

"You really like math?" Scootaloo deadpans. I'm never gonna be able to leave this down. Worse day ever and it's only just begun. Celestia? Luna? Please help me.

"Excellent! Would you like to come up and solve the next problem for the class?" asks Miss Cheerilee. I could tell by the tone of her voice that Miss Cheerilee was asking earnestly and with no malice or trickery. She believes me.

"Oh, that's not necessary. I wouldn't want to disrupt the class," I reply followed by a nervous chuckle. My eyes dart from side to side, taking in all the stares from my fellow classmates.

"A little late for that don't you think," teased Scootaloo. I give her a cold glare. She responds in kind with a mischievous grin. "Get up there you math nut. We know how much you like math?"

"It won't be a problem at all Sweetie Belle. I was going to start calling on students anyway. You might as well be the first," says Miss Cheerilee, completely unaware of my current level of discomfort.

"Ugh. Fine," I answer just quiet enough not to be heard by our teacher. Scootaloo tries to hold in her snickering as I pass her on my way to the front of the room. Right about now I really wish I had been paying attention to the lesson.


"That was so great!" laughs Scootaloo as we walked through Ponyville. School had just gotten out and I had wasted no time in escaping that building. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom had followed quickly, but Apple Bloom couldn't stay long. She had to go home to Sweet Apple Acres so she could do her chores. Meaning only Scootaloo remains with me as we walk through town. "You were all like I just really like math, and then you were called up front where you were all like is the answer seven." Scootaloo bursts out in uncontrollable laughter.

"I know, I was there," I say between gritted teeth.

"We were doing fractions, bwahahah!"

"Seven can be written as a fraction!" I yell at her defensively. What's the point in trying to justify myself. Clearly I hadn't been paying attention. The look of disappointment on Miss Cheerilee's face as she looked away and slowly shook her head was the worst part. I had really let her down.

"And that sigh?"

"Yeah, yeah. I looked like a fool today, so what? It's not like you've never answered a question wrong. Remember boxen?" I hiss at her, referring to an incident that happened a long time ago involving us learning plurals.

"Seriously though," she says between chuckles. "What was up with that sigh? What were you thinking about?"

I freeze. Instantly I can feel my cheeks getting warm. What are the odds that my white coat will hide my reddening cheeks?

"Are you blushing?"

Not good at all. I stammer and stutter for a second just to be interrupted by a loud blast coming from the house next to us. Normally I would have been thankful for the distraction but this wasn't a regular blast. No, this was a rhythmic blast of bass in the form of wubs. Of all the houses we could have stopped in front of our conversation would end us here. "Can we go somewhere else?" I ask.

"And miss DJ Pon-3's awesome beats? We got here at the perfect time," answers Scootaloo buzzing her tiny wings in excitement.

"You know her name's Vinyl right? DJ Pon-3 is just her stage name. Besides she won't be playing for very long. On Wednesdays her roommate Octavia leaves after lunch to go shopping. Normally she gets back around this time and she'll make Vinyl turn down the volume.

"Why do you know that?" a very puzzled looking Scootaloo asks.

"Oh! Uh, I'm just a really big fan. They're both just so talented?" Right as it leaves my mouth I know it's not enough to convince my friend who raises an eyebrow at my response.

"Right, and you really like math?" Scootaloo roles her eyes and chuckles with a shake of her head. "Fine, we'll go. Seems strange though that such a huge fan would want to leave so soon." And the never ending teasing begins agian, great. At least its just Scootaloo and not both of my closest friends.

As we start moving on I ponder to myself. Why did I know Octavia's schedule? When did I pick up on that? What is with me and that pony today? I never realized that I had taken such notice of her. Her music. Her routine. Her beauty. Her gorgeous mane. I've even taken notice of her posture and her nice round flank. We round a building at the corner and my thoughts are interrupted abruptly being crashed into, and I fall onto my back.

"Oh. I'm terrible sorry young filly." I grab a hoof that is extend towards me. With my free hoof I block out the blinding sun that's shining on my face. "Are you all right?" the friendly voice asks.

"I'm fine. Thanks," I look up at the mare who I had collided with. "Oc...tav…" I'm frozen slack jawed.

"Octavia Melody. Pleased to meet you."

"She know who you are, she's a really big fan of yours." Smirked Scootaloo with a snicker.

"Your hoof is so soft." Why did I say that? Stupid, stupid.

"Um, thanks? It's always nice to meet a fan. Especially one so young. Not many fillies or colts are interested in classical music."

"I wait outside your house every morning to listen to you play." What is wrong with me? She's gonna think I'm some kind of creep. Curse you thoughts, stay inside.

"I suppose my cello can be quite loud I suppose," she replies with a small chuckle. She probably thinks I'm the strangest pony alive. "Well, it's been a pleasure talking to you but I must get going before Vinyl breaks out the windows again." She says looking up at the vibrating building. "If you'd like I could play for you two some time. Miss.."

"Scootaloo, and this here is Sweetie Belle," answers my friend for the both of us, for which I'm grateful.

"Miss Scootaloo, Miss Belle. I'll see you around and don't be strangers." And with those final words Octavia passes me by and heads for her home. I sit there not looking back. Petrified at yet another embarrassing ordeal for the day.

"She's amazing," I whisper quietly to myself.

"What?" asks Scoots as she walks up beside me.

"Nothing," I say a little to loud.

"Sometimes I wish you weren't so awkward," laughs Scootaloo. "What is wrong with you today? Seems like it's one thing after the next." Today has been rough. No denying that. Seems like my lot in life is to be tortured by some weird force inside of me controlling my emotions, words, and actions. It's almost like I can see myself but can't stop myself.

"Scoots, if it's alright with you I think I'd like to go home for the day." Any desire I had to want to be around friends or play are gone. I just want to talk to Rarity about my day. Maybe I was under some weird spell or curse. Surely Rarity would be able to help.

"If it's about the teasing I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." Scootaloo looks at me with remorse, ears flat against her head in the most adorable fashion. She probably thinks she's upset me with something she's said.

"It's not you Scoots. I've just had a rough day so far and just wanna talk to Rarity about it."

"Okay, but we're still gonna hang out tomorrow after school right? Apple Bloom said if she can catch up on her chores today that she'd be able to play tomorrow."

"Wouldn't miss it." I say with sincerity and a smile. Scootaloo hops on her scooter and waves as she turns to leave. "See you later good looking." Why did I say that?

"What?!"

"Um... uh... you know... just wanted to make sure you knew you look good?" That's not any better! "What I mean is, uh... you're looking more awesome today than normal?"

"Oh! Thanks? I think. Go... go talk with your sister. You've been acting really strange today." responds Scootaloo with a lot of hesitation, curiosity, and uncertainty. Her eyes shift around and she bites her lower lip.

"Yup. On it." I say quickly as I turn and walk at an increased pace towards Carousel Boutique. Good looking? Why? To my best friend? To Scootaloo? She's the last pony who'd care about looking good. A start to run at full speed towards my sanctuary. Upon reaching the boutique I burst trough the doors. "Rarity!" I holler as soon as I enter. "Please tell me you're home!" I don't know how long I can last. This is eating at me. It has to be a spell or a curse or something.

"Yes, Sweetie I'm here. What is with all this yelling? I have a lot I need to get done this afternoon. Orders to be prepared, designs drawn up, lessons to write," replies Rarity as she enters the main living space of the boutique.

"I'm having a mid life crisis!" I cry.

"Darling you're a little young to be having a mid life crisis," answers Rarity with a chuckle and a hint of annoyance. "For it to be a mid life crisis it has to be the middle of your life. You won't have to worry about that for awhile."

"I'm having strange thoughts about other ponies!" I blurt out. "I've been enchanted. We need Twilight!" In my chest I can feel my heart beating quickly. It hadn't taken long to get back to Carousel Boutique from where I left Scootaloo, but it was far enough to allow my brain to run a thousand different scenarios. Out of all possible outcomes I could think of, having been placed under an enchantment seemed the most logical.

"What kind of thoughts?" asks Rarity with a skeptical look.

"Like, I know their routines, notice their posture, and I say the strangest things about their appearance and stuff." Upon my response Rarity's skepticism fades. All that is left is a smile. Not a warm smile, but rather a smile that has a blended combination of excitement, mischief, and knowing.

"Sweetie, dear, you're not enchanted..." my sister reassures. What a relief I was scared for a second that... "You've got a crush."

"What!?" My brain shuts off and that word is all it can muster before it seemingly powers down.

Rarity squeals. "I've been waiting for this day for so long. Come you must tell me all about him. Who is the lucky colt." I stare blankly at nothing for what feels like an eternity. Finally I blink a couple times, shake my head to clear my thoughts and look at my sister.

"Are you sure that's what's going on?" I can't believe this. Of course I knew that one day I'd develop a crush on someone but Octavia? And what about the comment to Scootaloo? Does that mean I have two crushes? How can that even be?

"Yes, yes dear of course. You're hitting that age where you'll start to notice all the cute colts in your class, and similarly all the colts will start to notice you as well. If some haven't already that is. So out with it, who's the lucky colt? Who's caught your eye?" I really don't feel like talking about this now. It's a lot of information that I am not ready to process at the moment. Before I desperately wanted to talk to Rarity about everything, but that was when I thought I was cursed. Now that it's just a normal thing that happens to ponies it seems too personal to talk about. Especially since Rarity keeps saying colts and the only two ponies I've taken notice of have been mares, and one is my best friend.

"I'd rather not talk about it." A whole new set of worries are now filling my brain. There's got to be something wrong with me. Rarity always talks about finding her prince. She's told me that one day I'd find a colt that'll make me really happy. Can the same be true about a mare?

"Oh come now Sweetie please. It'll be between us," Rarity pleads. Maybe it would be best to get it off my chest. Maybe it's some kind of head disease that causes a pony to develop a crush on a pony of the same gender.

"Rarity, are you familiar with Octavia. The earth pony mare who plays the cello here in town?" I ask slowly, paying close attention to my sisters facial expressions. A bit of confusion and curiosity is all I notice.

"Yes, why?" she prods. Do I have to spell it out for you Rarity? This isn't something I'm super comfortable talking about. Please don't make me say it.

"Well, uh. Tada?" Why am I so awkward?

"Oh? Oh. Oh!" It took Rarity a second and to be honest watching her face as she finally understood was pretty priceless. Time to see how to cure me. I hope it's not painful.

"So how do we fix it?" I ask hesitantly.

"Fix it? Dear what ever do you mean? There isn't anything to fix." Rarity says with a reassuring smile that may have had a slight apologetic look to it.

"Aren't I suppose to have crushes on colts?" For some reason I can feel my eyes start to water. Relief is what I feel, so why would that make me cry? There wasn't anything wrong with me, right?

"I shouldn't have been so presumptuous. There is nothing wrong with a beautiful young mare like yourself being attracted to other mares. Everybody has a special somepony and there are no rules on that. If you like another filly and want to be mare friends than go for it." Rarity's response brightens up my mood. So much information had been thrown at me in such a short amount of time it seems like my emotions were all over the place. What a wild ride today had been. Rarity's comments start to resonate inside my head.

"So I should ask Octavia out on a date or something?" The smile that was on Rarity's face drops fast. It's replaced with wide eyes and a shocked expression.

"Well, maybe there are some rules on having a special somepony. Octavia might be a tad old for you. Try looking for a filly your age." She says it with a gentle tone and it doesn't take me long to understand why my comment had surprised her. Obviously there would be an issue with an adult mare dating a filly. I'm still pretty young but plenty old enough to know about the laws designed to protect pony youth.

"So like Scootaloo?" I reply.

"Yes. Like Scootaloo. Like Scootaloo? You like Scootaloo?" Rarity asks with glazed eyes like she had just seen a litter of adorable kittens.

"Yeah, I guess. She's like my best friend and super nice and awesome and talented and cute..."

"Cute huh?" Rarity interrupts my list with a small grin. Was I really saying all those things out loud? I can feel my cheeks heating up from embarrassment.

"Hey look at the time. I've got so much homework to do. Better get to it." I rush past my older sister and make a beeline for my room up the stairs.

"Ahh, to be young and in love," I hear Rarity say as I head down the hall and out of site. "How am I going to explain this to mom and dad." What a strange comment. I stop. I'm almost certain she believes I'm out of earshot. "They are not gonna be happy about this. Whatever happens I'll be here for her."

My heart races once again today as I stand frozen in the hall. My heart aches. Mom and dad are gonna be upset with me? Why? Today has been one crazy roller coaster. From good to bad. Happy to sad. Bored to embarrassed. Angry to embarrassed. Scared to embarrassed. I was really embarrassed a lot today. And finally Embarrassed to hurt, scared, and sad all at the same time.