• Published 7th Nov 2018
  • 469 Views, 5 Comments

Friendship101: The Wizard of Shadow - SuperBro19



Wizards and dragons, and mythical creatures, oh my!

  • ...
 5
 469

Prologue

Everything had been said and done.

Merle Ambrose knew this better than any other Wizard in all the Spiral. The threat was over, Morganthe was defeated, and the Spiral was safe at last. Of course, news of this Old Cob character was, to say the least, inspiring of hope and confidence. He was an unknown variable, loose and free to fly to whatever worlds he decided to go to. His plans are unknown. Origin, was also unknown, though rumors did persist throughout the Council. A much-needed piece of this puzzle was to understand that Cob, however much he tried to hide it, was that he seemed to be ancient. Perhaps as old as the Spiral, or more! His true identity was unconfirmed, so many pieces were out of place. What was the end goal? If he was a genuinely new and dangerous threat, then why did he help to see Morganthe's downfall in exchange for nothing? And most importantly of all, who could match up to him when the time called for it?

Ah, these questions raced through Ambrose's mind fast and quickly, as he tried to unwrap the conundrum. Still, there was time. Time to prepare. Time to make a move and time enough to warn the worlds of the Spiral. Time, the Spiral had still.

As Ambrose rustled through the papers and reports that came in, he quickly disposed of the negative thoughts that plagued him. He looked over each report individually of the resounding success of his one constant and dependable friend. That friend was one whose name was always welcomed in such dire times. A student of the Death school, aka Necromancy. His name: Adrian DeathSword. He wore the Death Lord's Woe gear set, dyed black, and purple, whilst carrying the Lord of Death's Dragon staff. His best athame was the Mercy of Shadow and Light, and on his left index finger, he wore the Insignia of the Dark Woman. That when added to his Death Seeker's Talisman and his deck, the Gallery of the Woebegone, made him a powerful wizard. One not to be easily trifled with.

Despite the bad reputation given to Necromancers thanks to Malistaire, Adrian had pushed forward into his studies. Having learned most magic from Dworgyn, the former assistant teacher of the Death School had taught well, with a fierce and dedicated passion for his students. But Adrian excelled further beyond expectations. Top of the class had high marks in every subject, and his never say give up attitude made him a role model for others. And on a side note, a close ally.

Yet, something was... off. Lately, Adrian had been feeling exhausted for long periods outside of Ravenwood, which was apparent immediately. Slowly but surely, fatigue had begun to take its toll on him and his magical solid work ethic. It figured, though, however. He had been pushed from his first day in Ravenwood to climb in power and exceed his limits rapidly. His rapid rise would soon be met with a downfall, and when it happened, he would crash hard.

He faced and conquered too many monsters, too much battle for one young student. Especially when considering his only means of substance were health and mana wisps and the potions carried upon Adrian's person. Unhealthy and not a natural way to recuperate. If there was ever a way to give him his much-needed relaxation, then perhaps an extended vacation for Adrian was overdue. And if there were one place to heal, it would be in that realm. It was a realm so secluded, so vibrant, and well-guarded that not even the Council knew of its existence.

At that moment, it was decided. Ambrose wrote his letter upon his desk with a specially-made parchment and quill with ink. Describing his predicament, he included every detail he could scribble into the allotted space and asked her to come to visit with guests even if she would like. It was then a matter of placing powerful protection spells upon the wrapped parchment before conjuring a massive flame from the dragon's breath into his free hand. He lowered the scroll into that flame and watched as it was eaten away, devoured, before being made into bright yellow sparkles that flew off into the air, carrying the message. Nothing remained. Not even ashes.

"Are you sure about this, Headmaster?"

Ambrose turned his head to his left to Gamma, his owl and fair compatriot of a pure white feather.

"I believe so, Gamma," replied Ambrose.

"I only ask because with all that has happened, what if something occurs whilst Mr. Deathsword is away?" Gamma inquired.

"There are many others, Gamma. Wizard City's strength is not determined by the titles of one wizard, but by all wizards and the combined might they hold together."

"I pray you're correct then." Gamma hoped with solemnity. With that, he flew off into another room, going off to begin asserting the remaining paperwork and documentation. And whilst under his breath Ambrose could only mutter.

"I hope so too, my friend. So many risks made, so little time...…."

*******

Out in the world of Equestria and Canterlot's throne room did sit the Goddess of the Sun, joined by her sister of Night, as they both began to swap shifts. As the day turned into night, the sun had to set, and the nightly courts would reign until sunrise. After all, it was easy to rest comfortably knowing that Princess Twilight, her friends, and even the newest young students were on the clock and patrol.

As Celestia trotted down the hall back to her chamber, ready to let sleep be the only thing on her mind, a peculiar pop sound made its presence known right in front of her. Who could be writing to her so late at this time? The only ones who could instantly message her were Twilight and her friends through Spike. They couldn't be sending in a report now at this hour! Unless...…

It was here she unwrapped the parchment, letting it unfold in its entirety. And it was here that she recognized a familiar name. That sly dog...

Upon seeing the contents read thoroughly, she sent her reply with lightning speed, so eager to respond to her longtime friend. And with a quick flash, it was sent so quickly and carefree.

It was then that Luna had approached her from behind, having heard the sounds from close by before taking over. However, her confusion soon turned to knowing as she saw the smile her sister wore. "So, I think he's replied after so long, sister?"

Celestia merely nodded. "Oh, Ambrose. It's been too long since we last spoke." she reminisced. "But to have a student excel as well as my own, and with so many accomplishments over so little time? How impressive."

"What does he require?"

"He would like us and company to come to his realm. He would like to bring his brightest student here for rest and recovery. He wants this 'Adrian' character to have a long overdue vacation."

"So he asks us to watch him, then?"

"Correct."

"How joyous!" Luna exclaimed in delight. "It has been too long since we last visited our friend! We must write to Twilight and others come the morning!"

Celestia could only smile and chuckle at her sister's enthusiasm. After all, it was time to return the favor for Ambrose's aid so long ago...

"Right then, it's decided. We go off tomorrow at noon."

Author's Note:

This be what I got. Like I said, not many write this kind of crossover story on this site, but hey, there's a first time for everything.