• Published 5th Sep 2018
  • 2,195 Views, 35 Comments

Atlas's Burden - Funkyfresh



A human wakes in a world where humans are no better than animals. How will he make his way in a world where the best he could considered is a smart dog.

  • ...
6
 35
 2,195

Calling aka 'the smol update'

Author's Note:

Hello cruel denizens of this hellhole we share! I'm not dead! :yay:

So this chapter is smol and really late, like toddler in the womb late. (been dealing with life shit 24/7.) BUT I do hope to maybe complete at least another chapter or three before I start my Europe trip sometime this June.

Life's a bitch, and unfortunately for me she's a dom.

"Applebloom! Come on out y'hear!" AJ shouted as she searched the orchard for her little sister. The human could still be out and about, and they hadn't exactly endeared it to the Apple family so AJ and her friends decided that it was best to keep an eye on the fillies and colts around town. Various townsponies had been told about Atlas and how placid he could be, but they were also warned that he was likely agitated and shouldn't be confronted.

"Over here sis! I'm alright!"

AJ quickly moved over to her sister and checked her over, then took a look around to make sure she was safe.

"Now what the hay do ya think you're doing? You know that human might be out n' around here."

"I know, that's why I brought these treats." She said while beaming up at her sister. "I figured that he'd be a might bit hungry and scared."

"So you thought it'd be a right fine idea to go find largest human we've ever seen, who we just tried to brand, and was likely very hungry, and see if he'd like a treat?!" AJ asked her little sister incredulously. "What if he decided to eat you instead?"

"But I knew he wouldn't AJ, honest! I just knew he was a big softie, after all Fluttershy was just fine with him and he even saved me from that brand fallin on my head. He was a bit spooked at first, but after I gave him an apple he cheered right up! Even started to scratch me behind the ears, like Lyra's always going on about."

"Hmm, and I thought you had to train humans to do things like that..." AJ trailed off, lost in a thought.

"Maybe he just had a good owner before?"

"Well I had Twi help me look through the registry n' such, but there ain't no group that marks their humans like that, we even looked at the ones that were way out of the way and asked about private collectors. Nothing."

"So we really can keep him?" Applebloom started to bounce around excitably.

"Ah don't see a reason as to why not to, but we have to get him to come to us or we have to catch him first."

"Just leave that part to me sis! I'm sure I can get him to like us again, I just need a bit more time and he'll be right as rain!"

"Hmm, maybe Applebloom. I just know I don't want you running off to catch that critter without me or Big Mac to watch over you. We can talk about this more when you get back from school, okay little missy?" AJ gives her sister a playful rub on the head and then sent her off to school.


Later at the Ponyville Schoolhouse

"And so children, it is this disconnect between humans and Harmony that makes it nearly impossible for humans to display positive emotions without training and reinforced behavior. Any questions class?"

"Does that mean that mean that my human is one of the best? He always does what I say and he's even been trained to hug ponies. And if he doesn't do what I say, he gets less food."

"Well Diamond Tiara, while your human is definitely well trained and ahem 'behaved' I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is the best. There are a few humans that can be trained to be slightly autonomous. Does anypony know what that word means?" Cheerilee asked her class.

"Isn't autanamy where you can do things on your own?" A young filly offers up.

"Autonomy dear, but you are correct."

"Well he ain't the best ever maybe, but ah know Atlas is better than yours Tiara. He's bigger, stronger, autonomiss like Miss Cheerilee said, and he'll scratch you behind the ears even though my sis said he ain't been trained properly."

"Oh sure blank flank, if this wonder human really does exist then where is he?" Tiara remarks with a bit of snark.

"He is too real! 'Sides, he's out in the woods since he got scared off, but I can call him."

"Prove it."

Diamond Tiara sat there at her desk feeling completely victorious over the youngest Apple until she got up and walked out the door and started calling out for the human.


God damn those were good apples.

I hear ya stomach, but we can't just keep taking apples from those ponies.

Why not?

Well, they tried to brand me and who knows what else. They may have not chased me down and the little one fed me, but they could still be bad news.

I still want more fucking apples.

"Atlaaas!"

What was that?

Dunno, sound like apples though.

"Atlaaas! C'mere Atlas!" Applebloom called out.

"Oh shit, the kid! She might be in trouble!" I began to sprint towards the voice of one of the few creatures I could semi-trust around here.

Mmm... I hope she has more apples.