• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 1,753 Views, 56 Comments

Tales of the Abyss: Hymns of Equestria - Genis94



Luke fon Fabre winds up in Equestria after the events of the game.

  • ...
7
 56
 1,753

Unwanted Reunions

Luke charged forward at Legretta without a second thought. Bullets flew past him as he artfully dodged the attacks of his adversary. The loud clang of steel against steel could be heard as Luke struck at Legretta, only to be denied by the powerful frames of her guns. Legretta quickly delivered a kick to the Swordsman of Lorelei, not as much to deal damage as it was to give him a wide berth. The battle between the two warriors from another world had begun. All the ponies could do was watch as these veterans of combat clashed, lest they risk an untimely demise.

Rainbow Dash was the least happy with this arrangement. "This totally stinks!" the multi-colored mare exclaimed.

Twilight was rather confused by Rainbow's outburst. "What are you talking about Rainbow? I thought you said you wanted to see Luke fight."

Rainbow Dash huffed in response. "I know I said that. The problem is that this chick is totally deserving of a beatdown, and all I can do is watch!"

Twilight paused a moment. She felt the exact same way as Rainbow Dash, even if she wasn't quite as vocal about it. She trotted over to her hovering friend and placed a reassuring hoof on her shoulder. "I know you're not happy with just watching this, Rainbow, and I want to help too, but we don't even have a plan to fight this woman. Those weapons of hers are more powerful than anything I've seen the royal guards carry."

Applejack nodded in agreement to Twilight. "Ah hear ya Twilight; that doohickey nearly put me in an early retirement!" Applejack exclaimed while looking at her still shaking hooves. The farm pony was more grateful than ever for her fast reflexes, otherwise she could have lost the appendages.

Rarity was the next to voice her opinion. "I really must agree with you girls. However fashionable this lady may be, one does not get away with nearly defacing a pony's hooves!" She cried, raising her fist(?) to the air. Rarity was met with incredulous glances from her friends. "What? She just got a hooficure a week ago during our last visit to the spa!"

Pinkie Pie, meanwhile, was busy trying to coax Fluttershy out of her near coma state. The shock from nearly being shot, coupled with the chaos of the fight, took its toll on the gentle little pony. Twilight looked on to the clash Luke was engaged in, knowing that he could face any obstacle in his path. "Don't worry girls, I'm sure Luke can win. All we have to do is believe in him." The lavender mare reassured.

--------

Asch the Bloody stood shocked at the sight of his intruder. However, he quickly gathered his senses and returned to his cold, determined glare. He already knew that Van Grants was somehow still alive, that much he managed to stomach, but standing before him was the tactical commander of the Six God Generals: Sync the Tempest. While he appeared to simply be a young boy, Sync was one of the most powerful of the God Generals. He currently wore the white coat and black pants he had at Eldrant, though his coattails were now tattered with holes. His green hair was still styled forward as usual, but the most prominent feature of this young boy, was the fact he had the same face as Fon Master Ion.

Asch felt his blood begin to boil. "What are you doing here?" He asked coldly.

A sadistic grin spread across Sync's lips. "So I wasn't mistaken after all. You really were thrown into this dump too."

"Answer me!"

"If you must know, I was ordered by Van to do some scouting around here. Looks like he knew that you were coming."

"So you're still following orders from Van... What's he planning."

Sync's expression became serious and anger fueled his words at the question. "We're going to finally destroy the Score. Nothing can stop us this time."

Asch grunted in anger at Van. Even after his defeat at Eldrant, he was still fixated on the Score. "Why would he even bother thinking about the Score now? We're stuck on this world, and Luke already stopped the Score of Destruction. I guess he's gone crazy after all."

"You think it's really over? Luke may have stopped Van, but that hardly means that the Score has lost it's grip on the world."

Asch couldn't believe what he was hearing. None of Sync's reasoning made any sense. The Score was no more. What could possibly be more clear than that?

"Are you really this dense?! It's ALL OVER! The Score, Van's plans, everything! What the hell makes you want to follow him if he's clearly lost his mind?!"

Sync was irritated by Asch's dismissal of his beliefs, but he found a sick pleasure in toying with him. "I should think you would understand why I want to destroy the Score 'Ashes of the Sacred Flame'. And don't think it's all over yet; you've hardly even seen the surface of how powerful the Score is."

Asch forgot trying to speak of the Score, but was infuriated by what Sync called him. "What did you call me?!"

"What's wrong? Don't like accepting that you're nothing more than trash? Get used to it. It's the cold truth of the world. Every life is meaningless; you can be discarded and replaced just as soon as you are born." Sync's tone grew angrier as he addressed Asch with his next words. "At least you had some meaning in your life. You actually got replaced. I was only born because the original Ion was predicted to die in the Score. And him... the seventh Ion was nothing more than a bumbling fool! Yet he was chosen to replace the original, and I was disposed of." Sync paused for a moment before he continued so that he could collect his thoughts. "And so, I don't care how it happens, or who does it, I want the Score, the seventh fonon... I want that miserable world destroyed!"

Sync then took note of the gray eavesdropper. Derpy had woken up about halfway through their conversation, and now with Sync eying her like an insect, she began to tremble in fear.

"So now you're starting to find company with these ignorant idiots? You're really starting to disgust me." Sync muttered.

Terrified as she was, Derpy was not one who would stand for insults about her intellect, but more than that, she cared deeply for any of her friends. "Hey! You leave Aschy and me alone!"

Derpy's courage faded almost instantly when Sync took a step closer to her. "These things even sound annoying. I should just kill it right now."

Sync began taking another step closer to his quarry, but jumped back when he caught the distinctive blur of a blade heading his way.

Asch returned his stance and pointed his sword at Sync. "The only one dying here tonight is you! This time you're going to be sent to hell by me!"

Sync couldn't help but smirk in superiority. "You really think you can beat me? I have all the powers of a Fon Master! Even you will have trouble trying to keep up with me."

Asch wasn't a fool. He knew that fighting Sync would be difficult, but trying to flee him even without Derpy would only delay the encounter. "I refuse to lose to a lowlife wretch like you! So come on!"

--------

*Clang!*

Another bullet was deflected by the Sword of Lorelei, yet its surface barely registered a scratch. Luke and Legretta were both powerful fighters in their own right, but something still felt off to Luke.

"This doesn't make any sense! She feels like she's gotten stronger since the fight at Eldrant, but could she really have improved in just a few days?"

Luke dismissed the questions that were clouding his focus. Right now his priority was to defeat Legretta, and she would exploit any falter on his part. Luke charged Legretta once again, but rather than resort to her guns, Legretta began utilizing her specialty: Rem Fonic Artes. A large glowing fonic glyph appeared beneath Legretta's feet as she focused the energy of light fonons in the surrounding area.

Once the energy around her reached its zenith, Legretta shouted the name of the Arte. "Holy Lance!"

A second glyph appeared on the ground where Luke stepped just as soon as the one beneath the God General disappeared. Suspended in the air above the glyph, five large spears of light appeared, angling themselves to aim at the center of the glyph. Luke barely had time to react as, one by one, each spear launched into the ground at high speed and in quick succession. The Swordsman of Lorelei avoided most of the impact, but still received glancing blows from the projectiles, which was still enough to tip the scales. Luke stumbled from his injuries, an opportunity that Legretta would not pass up.

The Major of the Oracle Knights began charging in to finish off Luke. "This is the end!"

Luke smirked as he took notice of Legretta doing exactly what he wanted. All fonic artes leave a concentration of fonons in the area they were cast and of the fonons the spell was comprised of. These Fields of Fonons, or FOFs, can be harnessed to alter certain artes into powerful element based techniques, known as FOF Changes. A certain minimum of fonons is required in a FOF to be used in an FOF Change, the number of fonons left in a field being higher based on the strength of the arte that placed them. Right now there was a high concentration of Rem fonons left from Holy Lance, and Rem fonons could be used to power FOFs of several elements, such as fire and wind.

Luke positioned himself for his do-or-die counter. "Feel the pain!"

Luke dashed past Legretta, slashing her as he passed. Pivoting on his foot, he turned to knock her into the air with a flurry of strikes, crying out the name of his arte as he did so. "Shadow Fury!"

Both combatants crashed to the ground, each of their breaths labored from the exhaustion of the fight.

"Damn! I got careless..." Legretta cursed.

Luke may have been worn out, but he wasn't about to leave the fight half finished. "This ends now Legretta! You and Master Van aren't getting away with-"

Luke's thoughts were interrupted when he heard the commotion behind him.

"Rainbow Dash, come back!" Twilight cried.

Rainbow's voice grew louder as she sped in their direction. "Forget it! I'm not sitting on the sidelines for another second!"

Luke turned to warn the ponies to stay back, giving Legretta the distraction she needed. Focusing Rem fonons in front of her, she created a blinding flash which she could use to escape.

"Don't think you've won! The commandant can't be stopped this time!" She declared as her parting words.

Once the flash subsided, Rainbow darted in to hover beside Luke. "That's right! Run away you wimp!" She hollered in Legretta's direction.

Twilight, Rarity, and Applejack galloped up to Luke to check on his injuries.

"Are you alright?" The lavender mare asked.

Luke took a look at his wounds. Some of them were dripping with blood, while a few of them were already beginning to coagulate. "She managed to get a couple hits in, but I've had worse."

Applejack shook her head and narrowed her eyes at Luke. "Partner, Ah've been apple buckin' and rodeo'n for years, and Ah've seen mah fair share of scrapes. Ah think ya should get those patched up, pronto."

Rarity nodded in agreement herself. "Applejack is quite right, darling. It won't do any good to leave those wounds open. Not only could you get in a worse state than now, but you might get blood on that wonderful ensemble of yours."

Applejack audibly face hoofed. "Rarity, why do ya keep makin' fashion and makeovers sound more important than life and limb?"

"Oh darling, you misunderstand. I am concerned for everypony's safety, I just want to make sure they also look fabulous. At any rate, I think I might have just the thing to help with Luke's injuries back in my saddlebag."

The group began to head back to the camp, although Rainbow Dash reluctantly followed them while muttering ill will towards Legretta. Once they arrived at the camp site, they found Fluttershy sipping hot cocoa(that is, what didn't spill from her constant shaking), as Pinkie Pie assured her everything was going to be fine. Rarity trotted to her tent and levitated some rolls of fabric from her bag. Taking great care in measuring out perfect lengths for each strip, Rarity fashioned the white cloth into makeshift bandages.

Luke winced as the last bandage was tightened on the cut on his right arm. "Thanks again, Rarity. But wasn't that one of your spools of silk?"

"Oh it's no trouble at all, darling. I wasn't really using that silk anyway." The unicorn assured.

Rainbow Dash was on edge from not being able to help, and was still annoyed with the insistence that she shouldn't fight at all. "See, Twilight? Luke's already injured and we still haven't even found his master! We need to step up to the plate and help him kick some flank! Otherwise, he's going to be too run down to fight!"

The logic of her argument placed a small bit of doubt in Twilight. "I know you want to help Rainbow, but what can we do? These humans have powers that I'm not sure if I can counter, not to mention their weapons. Besides, that Legretta woman referred to Van as their leader. Could you imagine how strong he must be to have her under his command?"

Pinkie Pie took this time to put in her two bits. "Totally, Twilight! I bet he has eyebrows that shoot laser beams! Oh, and a beard that can control minds!" After noticing the dumbfounded looks of her friends, she explained her outburst. "What? I was just putting out ideas. What I'm trying to say is, Twilight's right, we have no clue how strong this Meanie McMeanerpants is."

"Look, I don't want any of you getting hurt on my account." Luke spoke. "These wounds aren't too bad anyway. I should be fine after I get some re-"

*SHOOM!*

A loud mystical energy rang through the air, accompanied by a bright white-purple light.

Fluttershy jumped in fright, but for the first time during the trip, didn't faint. "Wh-what was that?"

Luke's mind began racing as he recognized the sound and energy from this latest phenomena. "Oh no...!"

Luke began sprinting to the source of the light, drawing his sword to prepare for another fight. His injuries caused him to wince, but he dared not break his stride. Within a few moments, Luke came upon a small clearing in the woods, where a fire was burning... and Asch was collapsed and bleeding profusely.