• Published 30th Jun 2018
  • 975 Views, 37 Comments

What the Future May Hold - DougtheLoremaster



In the Era of Friendship 6 young creatures, descendants of the mane seven learn of the battles their ancestors fought and how they too have a destiny.

  • ...
4
 37
 975

Starshines' Story Time-An Inner Conflict

"The world has been consumed by chaos. Princess Twilight along with her inseparable friends had hurried to the source of the discord. We tailed them in the hopes of chronicling the events. The celestial princesses; Luna and Celestia were already at the scene fiercely trading blows with a monstrosity bearing an alicorn's resemblance but shrouded in a monochrome glow. Trees in the forest nearby were awash in an ocean of flames, while the ground was cracked and fissured. The sky was a strange mix of crimson and ebony in which the moon hung, shattered into pieces while the sun had collapsed in upon itself ready to go nova at any second. the wind howled as shards of ice fell from above as a chocolate colored cloud cascaded lava onto the nearby wildlife. The scene looked hopeless as the harmony bearers surveyed that which lay before them...."

Princess Luna paused, glancing up from narrating the book between her hooves to the teary-eyed bawling of the 6 young creatures before her.

"Oh, my!" She said and promptly set about in an attempt to cheer them up. "Oh please don't cry!"

At that moment Princess Celestia poked her head into the chambers. "How is story time coming along my sis...", her voice faltered upon seeing the sobbing children.

"Oh, sister!", Luna cried out. "Please help me!"

"Don't worry!" Celestia called out as she could be seen slowly starting out of the doorway. "I'll send Twilight to..." her voice cracked and a single tear made its way down her cheek.

Two thousand years had come and gone since that day since that battle and still, she could recall her faithful student and her friends as if it was just that morning when that young alicorn had smiled up at her. She bit her lower lip stubbornly in an attempt so as not to allow the presence of tears on her muzzle to be noticed. Slowly turning around and looking hopelessly at her sister, her efforts had been in vain as tears cascaded down silently.

"Who wants some cake?" Luna shouted frantically upon seeing her older sister's distress. "I believe I heard the kitchen staff say that they were making a chocolate one for a special after lunch treat!"

The young fillies and colts moved towards the kitchen, eagerly hoping for a piece of the almost legendary cake the kitchen staff was known for. Luna watched them go and turned towards Celestia.

"Sister you do know there was no choice. What they did", Luna said softly as she brushed the tears of her sister away with her hoof, "they did for the good of everyone. It wasn't your fault you shouldn't blame yourself."

"I miss her so much Luna." Celestia's voice was tinged with melancholy and Luna was at a loss as to how she should approach her sister. She remembered that day as well and just how hard watching Celestia's once best friend alongside her most cherished of companions being laid to rest beneath that loamy soil had taken its toll on her sister. Just then a sugary almost honey-filled voice cut through the gloom surrounding the alicorns. "Mommy, what is wrong?"

Turning her head swiftly Celestia saw the form of a tiny unicorn poking her head in through the door. The filly stood in the doorway, her purple mane tinged with crimson, with just a hint of pink highlights scattered throughout. Her fur though Light Purple glistened with just the faintest hint of aquamarine. Her flank sported a very familiar star pattern, while her eyes were a rich aqua. She stood about one-third of Celestia's own height.

Celestia forced a smile, as was her long-established habit of denial and said: "Oh Starshine, there isn't anything wrong sweetie."

"Mommy was crying though", the young Starshine exclaimed.

Celestia opened her mouth to say that wasn't true, but the words would not come. Luna, upon seeing her sister falter, interjected. "Your mommy needs some time to herself sweetie, I know, how about we go and visit the library? I have heard that the new books will be delivered today."

Quick as a flash, the young filly began jumping up and down excitedly. "Squeee! What do you think they are about Auntie? Do you think that..." The adorable unicorn began launching a hundred questions about the contents of the books, who the author was and if her Aunt Luna would read them to her as well. Luna did her best to answer them: "spells and sorcerers, dragons and griffons. Written by the Cutie Mark Chroniclers themselves and finally brought into production..."

their voices could be heard echoing down the hallway and Celestia turning towards a most treasured portrait on the wall began to speak as if to an old friend. "She is adorable. Hmph, she takes after you, you know. From her appearance to her insatiable want to read and understand all. Heh, she even has your aptitude for magic. She calls me mommy and all worries vanish, but I wonder how she would react if she knew she was your heir. How would they all react if they knew the Legends regarding you seven were not mere fiction? That each one of them was related to you and the others. I still think back on those days when you, Starlight, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbowdash and Pinkie Pie graced these halls. I remember the joy of when your children were born. The time when Discord and Fluttershy got married or how about the shock of when Trixie and Starlight came to you to receive your blessing, the look on your face was priceless! Do you remember when Pinkie Pie threw that insane party and invited the dragons? Who knew just how much that was needed..."

her voice once again fell as she said sadly, "you did, you always were brilliant. Twilight what should I do? I miss you so much." She drooped her head in desperation, her mane draped, limp and lifeless as the colors became muted. Just then a flash of light appeared before her eyes, and seven voices wise with age but soft with warmth began to echo around her: "Princess never forget, if you truly love and cherish our memory, you can always pass down our lessons and our stories to the next generation so they too can remember those that came before, whenever you are sad always recall we are not gone we live on through the legends of hope and the love passed down."

Celestia smiled and walked over to the nearby intercom pausing for just a moment to breathe before announcing: "I request the following pony to my chamber; Starshine."

A squeal was heard throughout the castle and the sound of tiny, thundering hooves could be heard coming closer as the tiny pony galloped into the room. Princess Celestia looked at the curious face and said "I wish to tell you a story, but not just any story, this story shall be special. I shall tell you the story of your ancestor and how her deeds saved Equestria time and time again many, many years ago."