• Published 4th May 2018
  • 299 Views, 2 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Road Home - EchoUnicorn



Follow a pony on his trek through the devastation after the fall of Equestria.

  • ...
 2
 299

The Ponies the Happiest

Before there was an Equestria, ponies fought each other. Over food, weather, the sun and moon. We were so caught up with what we deserved for our work that we were blind to what our magic could do when combined.

Due to our selfishness, our home was transformed into a frozen wasteland by the hate fueled wendigos. Earth ponies, Pegasi, and Unicorns all set out to find a new home. They did, but only when the ponies accepted each other where they able to fight off the wendigos. Thus Equestria was formed under the promise that everypony worked together.

For over a thousand years Equestria thrived, building relations with griffons, buffalo, and numerous other kingdoms. By far the most important of which were the zebras. Ponies and zebras worked together on a mutual need for the other's abundant resources. The zebra’s coal for the pony’s gemstones.

This did not last however, due to disagreements between the kingdoms, war broke out. It raged for decades. Resources became scarce and pushed zebras and pony alike to new extremes. For Equestria had never witnessed waring of this scale before.

While many fought on the battlefield, some relished at home with the new developments brought by the war. Domesticated robots. Personal terminals. An almost limitless power supply.

Then there are ponies like me. Those who do not want believe that anyone, pony or zebra, would hold true to their threats. Ponies who continue their daily lives without worry. But the world sits on the edge of disaster. One wrong step and all of this fighting was for nothing.

I rolled the pencil back and forth on the table. My hoof jumped up and down slightly as it turned over its corners. Slowly panning my gaze back and forth it became quite clear that nopony wanted to be here. The stallion up front actually seemed excited about his presentation though.

Fluttershy sat in the back at the far end of the table. She was trying her best to look interested but even the kindest pony would get bored. We have sat through ten presentations so far and it was kind of hard feigning interest in all the facts and statistics he was spouting. Something about switching the sheets used in the hospital rooms could save the Ministry of Peace some money. I was not too sure anymore. I may be an intellectual but it would take a mad pony to not want to bang their head on the table.

He finally finished. Fluttershy thanked him and I watched as he took his seat. Great, two ponies to go. Sweet Celestia, why did I have to go last?

The next presentations passed in just a few minutes but it felt like hours. Ponies just spouting their ideas on how to make more money. They should know by now that Fluttershy has no intention on making a profit. None of the Ministry Mares do.

I shook the sleep from my eyes and turned to look at Echo. He had fallen asleep during that last presentation. I jabbed my elbow into his ribs and he shot up quick. His purple eyes glared at me and I swore I heard Fluttershy stifle a laugh. Rolling my eyes I stood and made my way up to the front of the room. Echo followed with my cards and samples. He carefully set everything up with his magic then stood by waiting for my cue. One last adjustment of my shirt collar and I cleared my throat.

“Good morning everypony! I know that this meeting has been quite slow starting out but I assure you that I will not take more time than necessary.”

I tapped my hoof twice and Echo removed the blank card from the top revealing the diagram. It showed images of healing potions, radaway, and other drugs used in the hospitals around Equestria.

“Working on these projects have been exciting during this troublesome time in Equestrian history. I have worked hard with my botanical knowledge but my search for solutions have taken me to a rather dangerous place.”

I tapped my hoof again. He removed the card revealing a map of Equestria. One specific part was circled.

“The Everfree forest, which is vastly untamed, contains plant life unlike anywhere else in Equestria. This includes flowers and trees with magical properties. One such flower has proved more interesting than the rest.”

I stepped over to the table next to my cards. Grabbing the cloth with my mouth I yanked it away to reveal a large jar. Inside was a bright blue flower.

“Poison Joke. A flower with magic so powerful it can change the way a pony looks with almost no effort.” I gestured to the others in the room. “If we work with it we could find ways to grow back limbs. Give unicorns back their magic, help pegasi to fly again.”

I smiled out at the ponies around the table. No one shared it.

Fluttershy seemed conflicted. She was quiet for a long time then spoke up in that soft voice of hers.

“Th-thank you everypony.” Then she left.

The others followed but I just stood there. I then proceeded to kick the easel and cards to the floor. I would have stomped them into smaller pieces if this was my office, so glaring would have to do instead.

I blinked when I saw the violet aura and watched as it placed the cards in their sleeve. It then took to the easel, taking it apart and folding with ease.

“You know there are better ways to express your anger.”

Rolling my eyes I replied, “I didn't smash them. At least be grateful for that.”

“Alright, count me as grateful.” He stepped over to the table. “So, what are you going to do with all of those flowers if the ministry does not approve your work?”

“I will not let them be destroyed, guess I will have to bring them back to the Everfree somehow.” I picked the jar up with my hooves carefully placing it in my saddle bag and hooked it into place on my back. “Or, you know, keep them at the lab.”

Echo strapped the easel bag and card sleeve to my other side. “Good luck with that. You know that would cause a conspiracy, and Pinkie Pie would be on your tail before you even blink.”

I trotted to the door and stepped out into the hallway. A couple ponies passed, I kept quiet until they turned the corner leaving it empty. “True, she has that earth pony sense. Wish I could see those things as well as she can.”

“You're not still having those ‘premonition’ dreams are you?” He scoffed. “I honestly don't know how you find any meaning in them.”

I waved my hoof at him. “Oh, is the unicorn questioning earth pony magic?”

“Yes, I am. Now let's go. I would like to see Treble before he leaves for that job tonight.”

Echo quickened his pace and I struggled to keep mine somewhere between trotting and running just to keep up. We rounded a corner and found two of the other ponies from the meeting. The white one stopped us.

“What do you think you're doing?” He spat the question accusingly.

“Trying to spend the rest of my time in Canterlot enjoying myself.” I tried to step around him but he blocked me. I backed up next to Echo.

“No. What you are trying to do with that plant.” He points a hoof at me. “That's zebra alchemy.”

I rolled my eyes. “Really? You do know that most of my research involves zebra alchemy. That is kind of the one thing I'm known for.”

A lavender mare stepped up next to him. “True, I don't know how you are allowed to continue your work.” She stomped a hoof. “We are at war with them. I can't understand why the M.o.P seems to ignore what you have been doing. You are obviously working with those stripes.”

Echo stopped her. “Now, there is a difference between working with the zebras and working with zebra knowledge.” He stepped forward and gestured to me. “If anything you should be applauding him. We are using zebra knowledge to give us an advantage in this war.”

I regarded the unicorns. “Trust me, if I wanted to work with the zebras I would not stay in Equestria.” While still talking I stepped around them. “Besides, I heard that they are not quite as accepting of refugees as we ponies are.” Echo followed behind me. “I guess that is a good thing.”

The two of us continued down the hall and made it into an elevator before any of them could follow.

Echo eyed me. “How do you do that?”

I laughed. “You just need to know what to say. I have worked with those two for years now so I know how to get around ponies like that.”

The elevator stopped at the ground floor and opened into the lobby. Ponies hurried about their daily routines. I envied them. That meeting was the only thing I had to do today. What I would give to be back in Tall Tail.

We stepped out into the beautiful garden scape that surrounded the Ministry of Peace Hub. The magically grown trees looked out of place next to the other stone and metal structures.

Echo did not stop to marvel like I did, he continued onward. I trotted up next to him and we stepped out onto the main stretch of road running between the hubs. The main street lead to the business district then to the residential. It is always the same pattern: warehouses, businesses, small shops, then houses. The two of us kept to our route only stopping to let others cross at intersections.

The house we arrived at exhibited a psychiatrist office on the ground floor and an apartment upstairs. I always thought Echo did not belong in the office as it was too tidy.

We entered the office and stepped through a door in the back that led to stairs. Soft sounds of a trumpet could be heard from the apartment.

Echo strode in directly toward the sound of music. I stopped in the guest room and unpacked my things save for the cards and the flower. Leaving them on the bed I stepped into the kitchen and helped myself to the contents of the fridge. I settled for an apple when Echo and Treble walked in.

“I was going to ask if you would like to join us for lunch but I see you are already helping yourself.”

I shrugged. “I thought I would go out to town by myself. Since I arrived in Canterlot it has just been the three of us.” Waving toward the door I continued. “Go enjoy some time together.”

Echo wrapped his foreleg around Treble and pulled him close. “Good, we can have some fun instead of going to one of those ‘historical' places.”

I regarded the blue stallion, who looked uncomfortable with the show of affection. He rolled his eyes and pushed himself away smiling. “We are going to run some errands. As much fun as he makes it sound, we will only be gone for a couple hours.” Treble waved a hoof as they stepped through the door. “Have a good day Spring Leaf.” I gave a wave back as they left.

Good, some time alone in Canterlot. It has been a while.

After a quick lunch I trotted out to the street. Ponies still moved about their business. One probably would not notice that there is a war going on, that is, if they manage to miss the propaganda plastered on every wall.

I continued on, my saddle bag and cards bounced on my sides as I trotted. A left here, then a right, and when I finally reached my destination I took a moment to take in the beautiful falls.

The water cascaded down the mountain, casting a small rainbow before collecting in a river surrounded by grass and flowers. It then passed under a bridge that connects upper and lower Canterlot and continues its descent down the mountain.

This part of the city was quiet. Few ponies passed and nopony lingered. I drew in a breath, taking in the scents of the flowers.

Turning off the road just before the bridge, I looped around until I was almost under the marble structure. There, I set my bags down and tossed my presentation cards into a pile. I fished a match from my bag, striking it I held it to one of the cards until the flame caught and tossed them both into the pile.

I sat back and watched the cards burn, leaning against the cool stone under the bridge. Popping open a Sparkle Cola from my bag I sighed.

“Those ponies...” My eyes bore into the small flames. “I would give anything to see their smug ideas turned around.”

After a few minutes of watching the cards, I emptied what remains of the bottle onto the pile of ashes. Standing up, I walked out to the cliff next to the waterfall. There I could see Cloudsdale. I marveled at the city. Such beauty, and it was all made of clouds. Most of the Pegasi have left to join the Equestrian armed forces, so the factories are probably working overtime to prepare for winter.

I sighed. “It will probably be a short winter this year. Guess I will have to be careful with my gardening schedules at the lab.”

Turning around I took a step then stopped in my tracks as an defining explosion roared from behind me. It blasted me with a hot gust of wind that almost sent me flying.

I spun around. There, where the beautiful cloud city once drifted, was a mass of dark smoke and horrible green light. It took seconds. Then the sirens started.

I launched myself back toward Canterlot and met a wall. Backing up I rubbed my now bloody nose and gazed up at the city. A massive bubble enveloped every building. Missiles exploded against the outside.

I panicked. Whipping around, I tried to find some way to get to the road. If I could not make it to the Stable in Canterlot perhaps Zebratown, it is down the mountain.

No luck, the cliff is completely cut off from the rest of the mountain. My heart sank. I am trapped.

Through the bubble I could see ponies sprinting over the bridge. A detonation right above me rattled my bones and sent me running. I pressed myself against the magical barrier, praying that the curved surface would angle the explosions away from me.

I cowered, covering my head. It felt like hours. I kept myself in a tight little ball as the world exploded around me. There was no distinguishing sounds just defining noise.

A cool feeling crept up my side. I looked up to find a pink wall. Mist swirled around the bubble, consuming everything. Before me rose a mass of pink water. It sloshed and fought to break through the magic field.

The water has nowhere to go. I searched around. There was no safe place. As soon as the shield fell I would follow it over the cliff.

Step by step, I backed away.

Then, in a blink of the eye, the bubble fell. Water raced and devoured the cliff. It grabbed me, tossing me into open air. The water burned my hide. It fought its way into my nose and mouth.

As I fell with the torrent my eyes found the sky. In just a quick glance I caught a figure in flight.

I marveled then I met the ground and my world fell into darkness.

Author's Note:

Credit goes to Kkat for writing the original Fallout Equestria posted on Equestria Daily.