• Published 24th Apr 2018
  • 709 Views, 32 Comments

Call of the sea - sunsetsjournal



What would you do if anything you ever valued was taken away from you? What you would you if the only ones, who were able to rejoice your solitary life, depended on you? But more importantly, would good and evil make a difference anymore?

  • ...
3
 32
 709

Regretful

Chapter 7:

Regretful

Drops of rain kept falling on her head, as she was strolling on the road, some of them fell on her chicks and produced a terrible sensation of cold, while slowly slipping on her face.

Cast out and alone, Adagio had nowhere to go except maybe for the park she had visited just a few hours before, but, having reflected a while, she realized in the end that would not be a smart idea, for her sisters were sure to go there, looking for her. After all, Adagio did know how sensitive Sonata could be and was sure Aria’s good sense would eventually win over her stubbornness, but she did not wish to see them, any of them, at least for the time being.

The words her younger sister had spoken had broken her heart and this time the girl was not certain she had enough strength left to forgive her.

“Sometimes”

she kept repeating to herself, every time she had felt tempted by the desire of going back:

“The rage we feel, when we get mad, can force us to do crazy things, yet these things we end up doing are usually the reflection of what we truly feel inside, of our strongest emotions”.

The siren knew too well living beings’ brains can be divided into different parts. She also believed that one of them must be hidden inside the deepest corner of our mind so that it can kept safe our deepest secrets, the sort of things we are too ashamed to share and hope to cancel forever, burring them in a place nobody could every find them.

Yet in the end nature always finds its way to bring them up, when we don’t expect: and Aria’s anger had been the perfect prof to Adagio’s theory.

To sum up, if her sister had told her those horrible things, it could only mean one thing: she must have felt those things for real, and the tension their discussion had created, had offered her the right chance to free herself of that heavy burden, taking it all out on her older sister.

“If she despises me so much” Adagio said to herself, weeping and sobbing: “Then I can’t stay with her or Sonata. After all, they have grown up so much they can manage to survive on their own and I have no right to bother them with my presence”.

After a few more paces the girl stopped walking and gazed upon her boots: they were dirty, covered in mud and consumed, just like her soul in that exact moment:

“I’ll have to manage to survive on my own, too from now on” the girl murmured, drying her tears:

“And that’s just fine; I mean I’ve lived on my own for so much time nothing bad could possibly happen to me, after all I am a siren, right?”

As she was saying these things, attempting desperately to comfort herself, a small red car, going at a super high speed, passed by: its weals produced a terrible noise, as they run on the wet road, while its strong headlights blinded the poor girl.

When the car had left, Adagio found herself soaked:

“But what I used to be is no more...”


“She isn’t here!” Aria shouted stressed out, pulling her head from under the black clothed hood she was wearing:

“What did you say?” Sonata questioned, since a thunder had covered the sound of her sister’s voice:

“I said she isn’t here!”

“What do you mean she isn’t here? You said you knew where she had gone!”

“I said I may have known where she had gone, but, as you can see, I was wrong”

“Blast!”

“You said it! I thought she’d come back here to the park, since none of us know this town well enough to go anywhere on our own”

“Oh, oh!”

“What do you mean oh, oh?!”

“I mean that you’re right, none of us know our way around here”

“And If Adagio isn’t here at the park, then who knows where she might be”

“She could even be in grave danger, she could be alone, crying, wiping with nobody to relate to!” Sonata exclaimed, feeling her heart pounding like never before.

“She can take care of herself, I doubt she’s would let her emotions get the best of her “

“But it could!”

At that, point, having realized the was nothing she could do to calm her sister down, Aria rolled her eyes, expressing her disagreement.

Little did she know how right her younger sister was.


“Curse that blasted car driver!” Adagio exclaimed, sneezing for the forth time in only one minute:

“If I get sick because of his recklessness, I’ll be sure to find him and teach him a lesson: maybe he will learn to be more careful to pedestrians!”.

The girl kept wandering without thinking whether to go or who to talk to, considering the fact that there was nobody outside under the cold rain.

Suddenly an unexpected noise drew her attention:

“If there’s a noise” she thought: “It means someone must be nearby and if there’s someone nearby, maybe I can get them to spill some info about this blasted town!”.

Adagio rushed around the corner and found that the source of the weird noise she had heard was a long group of car, lining in front of what seemed to be some kind of rustic restaurant:

“Weird” the siren said to herself: “But, judging by the looks of it, it must be a pretty popular place, guess it’s worth looking into”.

Not thinking twice, Adagio entered the building and headed to one of the free tables, hoping to blind in with the other clients:

“Welcome to Canterlot Pan, where we take care to provide you with the best cuisine and the customer is always right; how may I help you?”

“Uh?!” the girl exclaimed, turning around and seeing a tall blonde waitress in black uniform with a block notes and a pencil in hand:

“What would you like to order?” the young woman repeated, biting the top of her pencil on the block notes, showing great impatience.

“Oh right, this is a restaurant” Adagio thought at that very moment: “Just...bring me your specialty”.

The woman wrote down some notes and headed to the kitchen, doing her best to maintain a huge smile on her face which was feeling more tired by the minute.

Not knowing what to do, while waiting, the siren took the chance to examine the place further: the restaurant was filled with people of all ages, which could only mean the place must have been pretty popular despite its desperate need of
being renovated, given the poor interior design.

Some of them were fighting over a sit by a corner, others lining up in front of a huge counter, separating the hall from the entrance to the kitchen, were a red haired waitress was working as fast as she could to take all their orders at once.

The ones who had already been served were chatting calmly, giggling and slowly enjoying their food which mainly consisted in giant burgers with fries for side dish.

“This place seems really good to start our feeding...if only those two were with me, I’m sure we could...”.

Having said these words Adagio lowered her gaze on the table, suddenly something arose from the deepest part of her souland began to devour her heart, piece by piece.

Every time a tear slipped from the girl’s eye, that horrible sensation grew stronger and stronger: Adagio started sobbing silently so the nobody around could hear her.

Reminiscing what had happened a few hours earlier had not been the best idea: Adagio hadn’t yet forgiven herself for that event, she had just hidden her fears and negative emotions, despite knowing she would not be able to handle the pressure inside her for much time.

Luckily for her, there were a few handkerchiefs one the table, the siren had happened to be sitting at; having taken one, Adagio quickly dried her weepy eyes: despite the affection she felt towards the two youngsters she had been taking care of for so much time, she still had her pride.

“Uh, miss?” a familiar feminine said suddenly:

“Y...yeah?”

“Here’s what you ordered, our specialty: enjoy your meal”.

Once the girl had left, Adagio took a closer look at her sandwich: it consisted in a rather large burger with a hole on the inside, where an almost rare egg had been placed. The whole thing was covered in hot melted cheddar, some slices of fried onions, tomatoes and two leaves of fresh looking lettuce.

Truth to be told the sandwich did not interest Adagio in the least, sure it emitted a mouth-watering aroma; but eating that sort of thing was not exactly the reason she had chosen to enter the fast food restaurant in the first place. Furthermore Adagio had never laid a finger on that sort of food, not even once, and that was certainly not the right moment to try out the local cuisine, especially considering her mood.

Having kept staring at the various costumers entering and leaving that place, the girl finally sighed:

“It’s useless, no matter how long I wait; things won’t turn on my favor, at least not as long as I am alone...”.

Having put on a frowning expression, the siren simply left her seat, leaving her meal uneaten and headed to the exit.

While hearing many young voices yelling at each other, perhaps teenagers, starting to fight over the table she had just left free, Adagio put back on her black clothed hoodie and without uttering a single word she opened the door in front of her. This one produced an awkwardly squeaky noise which made the girl’s hair raise; then the siren left and quickly disappeared in the morning fog.


“It’s useless!” Sonata exclaimed desperate: “We’ve looked everywhere in the neighborhood and still no sign sign of her!”

“You’re free to go back, whenever you like” her sister Aria replied coldly: “But don’t count on me coming with you: I’ll stay here and keep looking for her”

“But no matter where we look or who we ask to; Adagio seems to have disappeared from the face of this world”

“She seems...she isn’t though and I will find her, even if I have to stay here all day and night”.

Having finished her speech, Aria began to walk and turned on the right at the first corner; the younger siren decided to follow her.

Seeing her sister reappear behind her back, did not surprise Aria in the least: “So...” she said at that moment: “You’re still here”

“Yes” Sonata exclaimed, while her chicks started becoming red as peppers:

“Thought you were heading back home”

“Say what you want, but I am not going anywhere without you and Adagio”.

Hearing her older sister’s name made something light up inside of Aria; a sort of spark, hidden in the darkest shadows of her soul.

“Adagio…" at that moment the siren began to remember, remember about the past she had spent underwater, the time when she had been alone with Sonata, the time when she would wish for that tremendous torture to end.

Then a big, strong siren had arrived and took both her sister and her, welocoming them into her life, she had given them food, taught what they needed to survive and given all the attention they had asked for.

She remembered the times when she had heard Adagio, sobbing in her corner of the cave, fighting with the part of her soul that wanted her to stay the cold and motionless being she had always been and the enormous sacrifice that girl had done for her, earning to be considered her older sister.

Now it was Aria’s turn to help Adagio and, if she wanted to do something for her, she first needed to find her and take her home; yet to find Adagio one needed to think like Adagio.

“What is it that she loves the most?” Aria kept asking herself, rubbing her chin with two fingers: “Where would she go in a bad situation like this?”

“Uh...Aria?” Sonata questioned curios, seeing her sister so caught up in her own thinking: “What are you doing?”

“I was just reflecting…” right at that moment, seeing Sonata’s azure skin, an idea came to the siren’s mind: “But of course!” Aria exclaimed, jumping from joy:

“Aria...what are you so exited about?”

“I know where she is, Sonata, for real this time”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, this time we’ll find her, now follow me!”.

Breathing heavily, the two girls rushed across the city roads, while the morning fog was slowly beginning to disappear.

Aria’s breath had become heavy, like that of someone who has just finish running a long marathon. Suddenly she stopped and took a deep breath: “It’s close!”

“What’s close?” Sonata asked now more confused than ever:

“her...follow the scent of home”.

“What?!”

“Follow the scent of home, Sonata!”.

Although she had not exactly understood what she was supposed to do, the young siren quickly figured out that the best thing she could do was just follow her sister.

After a good fifteen minutes spent running, the girls arrived at the coast; where the city skyscrapers met the sea.

Despite being very tired, Aria refused to waste any time and looked around her and there she found who she was looking for: Adagio was nothing but a few paces away from her, sitting on the beach, listening to the sound of the waves.

The girl slowly walked towards her sister, gulping worried; this time Sonata decided to remain out of what she thought was not her business .

Hearing Aria’s heavy breath and sweat, Adagio stood up and turned around, facing her younger sister who was keeping her hands on her pulsing chest. The two of them met each other‘ s gaze, stared into one another’ s eyes for a few moments without saying anything, then run into the other one’s arms.

They held each other in a tight a tight embrace for...not even they know exactly how much time, while Sonata applauded, moved by that sight.

A warm wind, coming from the sea, melted their hearts at once, as the sun was rising high up in the sky, and they slowly started strolling back home.