• Published 8th Dec 2011
  • 1,325 Views, 17 Comments

Lyra finds a DeLorean - Mush



Lyra discovers the meaning of 'Having time on your hooves'

  • ...
3
 17
 1,325

Time on her hooves

Chapter 2: Time on her hooves

“Brace yourself for temporal displacement, user” the metallic voice of the DeLorean warned. The car was reaching its target speed of 88mph, albeit slowly. Lyra just sat back in the driver’s seat and watched the number slowly climb above 85, as this happened the inside of the DeLorean started to light up even brighter and something that resembled a Y shape started to glow. Blue fire started to erupt from the front of the DeLorean as the numbers on the dashboard got closer to 88.
Everything went white on the outside of the DeLorean, and Lyra was scared stiff inside. The pedal marked ‘Make stop’ depressed itself to the floor and the DeLorean came to a very sudden stop

“Did we make it, am I in the past?”

The metallic voice of the DeLorean did not respond, just a series of beeps echoed throughout the cabin. Lyra gingerly opened the door and stepped out of the DeLorean.

“It’s light out, does that mean I went back in time? Mr. DeLorean?” Lyra was worried about the lack of response from the vehicle. She gave it a slight thump and more white smoke erupted from the vents at the rear of the DeLorean.

“Time of arrival, 4:30pm. Charging mode activated. 0.074 of 1.21 Gigawatts charged. Estimated time to gain full battery is 1 hour.” The metallic voice rang out from the DeLorean, Lyra felt a little better knowing that it was alright.

“So, I guess I’d better go and buy my present for Bonnie. Time’s a wastin’!” And with that, Lyra dashed back toward Ponyville, to save herself from an embarrassing anniversary. On the way back to Ponyville she passed Twilights library with Pinkie bounding away down the road. Lyra crept past the library as a confused Twilight was standing on the doorway mumbling to herself about ‘Twi Pie’ and how the nickname was ‘kind of cute, but odd’.

“Woah, wait. If I get seen by Bonnie, she might ask me why I am out in a shop with a present addressed to her! I need a disguise.” Lyra thought out-loud. Then an idea popped into Lyra’s head, or onto Lyra’s head.

“Ah hear y’all be needin’ a disguise! Don’t worry none, ah won’t tell Bon-Bon about whah yer in town is she sees ya” Came a very southern voice from behind Lyra, as a hat fell onto Lyra’s head, covering her horn.

“Applejack... where did you... nevermind. Thanks for the hat, but I have got to get going!” Lyra thanked Applejack and rushed away.

“Woah there nelly, that hat may hide yer horn, but yer cudie mark is still there. Ah think Twahlaht has a long coat y’all can wear that’ll cover up that there cutie mark nicely” Applejack did have a point, she was the only pony in Ponyville with a Lyre as a cutie mark.

“Twilight!” Lyra called.

“Huh? Wha? Oh, hi Lyra, can I help you?” Twilight was still thinking about that silly nickname.

“I need to borrow a coat real quick so I can buy something for Bon-Bon, but she can’t see me and I need a coat to cover my Cutie Mark, can you help me?” Lyra pleaded.

“Yes sure, here have this one” Twilight levitated a brown coat out of the library door and onto Lyra’s back, covering her Cutie Mark.

“Thanks Twilight, but I have got to dash so ‘kay thanks bye”
Lyra was galloping at full pelt through Ponyville towards a shop to buy a present when suddenly Pinkie out of nowhere.

“Oopsie! Sorry Lyra, didn’t see you there! You looking forward to tonight’s party?” Pinkie apologised.

“Pinkie! Shh. I am in disguise! I am getting a present for Bon-Bon tonight, I nearly forgot” Lyra shushed Pinkie as to not let her secret out further.

“Okey dokey lokey! I get it, super secret spy pony game! Have fun!” And with that, Pinkie bounced away toward Sugar Cube Corner. ‘That silly pony, that’s the second time she has bounced into me today.’

---
One incredibly rushed present purchase later
---

Lyra galloped back up to where she left the DeLorean, after giving her hat and coat back to their respective owners. The DeLorean was just sat there, being all shiny and stainless steel, as Lyra approached to open the door and missing her muzzle this time.

“Hello user. Welcome to the DeLorean DMC-12 time machine by EverFree Motoring. Please state your destination”
Lyra sat there for a moment, thinking. She had a time machine with all the time in Equestria and she was just going to go back to the future? Not likely, she is going to make her anniversary the best possible, and a personalised cake would be just perfect!

“I would like to go back two more hours please Mr. DeLorean”

“Time circuits set, please accelerate to 88mph” The voice instructed. “And close the door please”.
Lyra obliged and started the long acceleration to 88mph. The things went blue, the Y glowed and then white happened at full force in the face for Lyra.

“Ok, Mr. DeLorean, where am I now?”

“Time of arrival, 2:30pm. Charging mode activated. 0.037 of 1.21 Gigawatts charged. Estimated time to gain full battery is 1 hour and 15 minutes.”

“So, I have an hour and fifteen huh? I guess I’d better make my party super special by telling Pinkie exactly how I want our cake! Oh, I do love cake!” Lyra spoke to nopony inparticular.

“L-Lyra?” A small voice from behind her caused her to turn around.

“Oh, hay there Flutts, whats up?”

“Lyra what is that big scary metal carriage? Did it try to eat you?” Fluttershy was concerned, the big scary thing came out of nowhere and spat out Lyra.

“Oh no Fluttershy, this is my... er... personalised carriage! I call it DeLorean and it runs off of my magic, which is why it looks like it moves by itself.” Lyra fibbed, Fluttershy wouldn’t believe it is a time machine.

“Oh, ok” Fluttershy said, feeling a little better. And with that Fluttershy fluttered off shyly back toward her cottage.
Lyra stood oddly on her hind legs and rubbed her hooves together as a sly grin covered her face. “Let operation ‘Go back in time to arrange awesome party’, begin!” She then fell over backwards because ponies aren’t meant to stand on two legs.

Silly Lyra.