• Published 9th Mar 2018
  • 504 Views, 3 Comments

Equestria Girls - Order of No Boredom; - chbedok



The things that happen when a bored God of Chaos finds a new world to play with;

  • ...
 3
 504

Chapter 2

It started when Discord got bored, and it is saying something when a physical god, with all that it implies, gets bored.

Which was why after the Draconequus got chewed out by Twilight Sparkle for the tenth time in just as many seconds, Discord swiftly discovered the portal constructed in one of the Alicorn's multitudes of laboratories, dotted throughout Twilight's castle like a severe case of leopard spots.

"Well, now. I haven't seen this mirror in a while."

It took only moments for Discord to weigh the pros and cons of alleviating his boredom at the expense of Twilight Sparkle. For the next thing he knew, the god of chaos was in a new world. And the first thing he saw was a dying creature.

"Oh, goody! This trip keeps getting better and better!"

Sprawled across the grass, the formidable specimen of un-ponylike physicality turned its head towards Discord and marveled long at the mortal manifestation of chaos and disharmony before croaking.

"Lord in Heaven, though your angel is of hideous mien. I shall show no fear, and commend my soul to your mercy."

"Excuse me," Discord said as he floated closer to the creature, "I am a Draconequus, not whatever is an 'angel' thank you very much. I did not spend a century having dragon's fire incubating my alicorn's egg to be called anything other than what I am."

"Indeed?" The organism feebly muttered, "I guess it does not matter now."

"Come now; you're exaggerating," Discord scoffed as he poked his latest discovery in the chest, "and I'm very sure that your wounds look worse than they are."

"Do they?" The thing asked.

"No," Discord admitted, "I'm no medical pony, but I know enough to accurately say that amount of blood should all be inside the body."

The creature coughed and let his head fall back into the grass.

"Figures."

With Discord rolling his eyes in resignation, he coiled himself up comfortably beside his supine acquaintance, thinking that at the very least his boredom is being addressed.

"Tell me, you," Discord said as he carefully examined the five digits that comprised the limb that seemed a counterpart to a pony's hoof, "how did you get yourself so mortally wounded? I assume, from my practiced eye, that it was in a brawl or something equally uncouth."

The thing sighed in contented exhaustion, before mustering what effort he could to reply.

"Glorious battle, to preserve innocent life, Draconequus. Against a deadly yet worthy foe, but what speed and strength the creature possessed were no match for my spirit and skill. Consequently, it died."

"Simultaneously, however, you're dying." Discord observed, stifling a yawn as he examined the lower limbs. The size and density of which indicated that the creature was bipedal, instead of the stereotypical quadruped that was an average pony. "What martial 'skill' would leave the skillful on death's door, instead of preserving life? I ask you."

Something rattled as the thing twitched one of its shorter limbs in a flimsy attempt at an answer. Discord recognized the weapon as a knobbed, military flail.

"Historical European Martial Arts. My interpretation. And with my foe's death, I have validated its effectiveness in open combat."

Snorting in reply, Discord leaned back and folded his arms across his serpentine torso.

"And is you dying worth that knowledge? Whoever you are?"

The thing coughed again, each hacking rattle seeming to drag a piece of the creature's soul out of its claw-ravaged body.

"I have vindicated my life's passion, and found a purpose for all those years I spent, training for such a moment as this. More successful people would kill to experience this moment. Looking back at it all, this is an honor, far beyond my station in this fleeting life."

And as the creature's eyes glassed over into oblivion, it mustered one last effort to turn its head, clad as it was in a pot helm, to look Discord in the eye.

"The name's Staff Vine. A pleasure to be talking to you."

For several minutes, Discord found himself staring at Staff Vine's erstwhile corpse. Twiddling his thumbs, and sucking his fangs till the tips ached. Finally, Discord snapped his eagle's claws and caught the golden apple while popping the dew claw in his paw. Slitting the fruit apart, Discord extracted a seed, before proceeding to wrestle Staff Vine's helm off its head. Exposing a roundish, yet thickset and blood-spattered jaw.

"Twilight is so going to petrify me for doing this, which is all the more reason to do it in the first place!"


Sunset Shimmer couldn't help the slight shiver of worry as she stretched out hard in the summer sun. It had been a week since she had reported Sour Sweet's mystery to Twilight Sparkle, sending a brief message through the portal via her old journal, and she was still waiting for some form of response. The fact that people around the town of Ponyville were reporting sightings of Sour Sweet's knight with increasing frequency compounded Sunset's foreboding regarding the matter.

Well, Sunset finally decides as she sat up and stripped off her shirt. Since she had already notified Twilight in Equestria, and until the Princess of Friendship manages to reply with more concrete facts to act on, Sunset will enjoy the last few days of summer before her sophomore year started.

Tugging at the hem of her shorts, Sunset threaded her way through the sunchairs and picnic blankets, smiling a little at the boys' stares as she made her way down to the watering hole. Empty save for the few people who were skipping lunch to maximize their time flailing around in the fresh water. Sunset Shimmer chuckled as she rubbed her hands in anticipation, everything was going according to plan.

"AH! The horror! Monsters are attacking the food stalls! The horror!"

Without breaking stride, Sunset spun around and blazed a path heading for the row of stalls set up toward her left all along the edge of the watering hole. As she ran, Sunset palmed a shard of orange crystal, closed her eyes, and whispered the magic of the geode into the words, "Daydream Jitterbug!" Sending thrilling sparks of energy through her body, and up into the tips of her orange-gold hair.

Sunset then slowed to a brief halt as the power surge subsided. Before opening her eyes, and looking down at the results.

"Well, my theory worked out." She grudgingly muttered as her now gold-gloved hands reached up to feel the domino mask covering the top half of her face, and her hair done up into a high ponytail. "But when I was visualizing a suit, I did not mean 'catsuit.'"


Staff Vine breathed out slowly as he lined his feet and shoulders up behind his shield. A flat, triangular hunk of iron-rimmed wood fresh out of its packaging, and strapped to his forearm. Inhaling and reveling in the new wood scent, Staff Vine lifted his front foot off the ground and allowed his weight to drop forward. The resulting momentum surged down a straight line through the shield and into Staff Vine's target, a ramrod-straight oak tree planted on the old hill overlooking the watering hole.

Stepping back from the impact while maintaining his stance, Staff Vine observed the vibrations running all along the trunk and the leaves that he managed to shake off the branches with his charge. Satisfied with the results, Staff lined himself back behind the shield. Sighting over its top edge as he aligned the weapon's center with the depression in the tree's trunk that Staff's previous shields made over the years.

"AH! The horror! Monsters are attacking the food stalls! The horror!"

Looking up from behind his shield, Staff Vine jogged over to the edge of the hill before raising the shield over his head to both shade his eyes from the sunlight, and to better observe the riot unfolding by the waterhole's edge. As the pitch of the screams heightened in time with an incessant gibbering audible beneath the squeals of terror, a dull throb in Staff Vine's chest began clawing its way across his body as the mounting anticipation of battle started pounding through his veins. Each reverberating beat began hardening the bared skin before forcefully marshaling the unbridled magic saturating the seed planted in his chest. Using the wild energy to form thick plates of magic into armor covering Staff Vine's sizeable shoulders, spruce-timber limbs, and encasing his head in a full-faced pot helm. One final pulse of power formed Staff Vine's knobbed-headed flail and covered the dull wood of his shield with a glossy finish.

Armed and armored, Staff Vine bounced on the spot and rolled his neck and arms to spread the magic's weight evenly across his back and torso. He then hefted his flail, exhaled sharply, and broke into a silent implacable sprint down the hill.