• Published 20th Feb 2018
  • 1,747 Views, 6 Comments

Goals to Strive For - DigitalPhoenix



Fluttershy leaves her comfort zone to finally express how she feels to Rainbow.

  • ...
0
 6
 1,747

What Is or What Could Be

Fluttershy couldn't see exactly where she was when she woke. The only thing in her vision was the soft light of the early morning filtered into a spectrum of color.

A rainbow...

Her eyes widened as her mind reached full consciousness. Her head was resting against Rainbow's shoulder, multicolored locks draped over Fluttershy's head. Her panicked attempts to retreat from her friend were rendered useless by a pair of arms wrapped around her back. Rainbow was still fast asleep, her soft snores being the only thing interrupting the silence within the room.

Fluttershy settled back into the bed, realizing that there was no way out until Rainbow woke up. Resting her head against Rainbow again, Fluttershy was surprised just how comfortable she felt. Being this close to her crush gave her butterflies in her stomach, the warmth from Rainbow's body negating the early morning chill. Fluttershy settled into Rainbow's neck, deciding it better to savor the few moments she had in Rainbow's embrace.

Fluttershy wished this was how she could wake up every morning. It was a scenario she had only dreamed of before this point. She couldn't seem to rationalize why Rainbow had inexplicably taken her in an embrace sometime during the night, but it didn't matter to her. All that mattered was that Rainbow was there, holding her close.

She knew it wouldn't last, though, and she quietly dreaded the moment Rainbow woke from her slumber. Not only because the peace might end, but she was also concerned about Rainbow's reaction to their current position. The rational part of her mind assured her that Rainbow wouldn't flip out, and would likely treat this as any other morning, albeit perhaps a bit more awkward than normal. A small part of her was still frightened, though. She wondered if Rainbow would act distant, or even ask her to leave. Fluttershy didn't think she could handle it if Rainbow didn't want her around.

It had been Fluttershy's greatest fear for months now. She feared the possible rejection, of course, but she was more concerned of the aftermath. If she told Rainbow how she really felt, would Rainbow accept? Would she reject her and things would continue as normal? Or would she no longer feel comfortable around Fluttershy, slowly distancing herself until they no longer spoke to each other. The last possibility was irrational, sure, and likely would never come to pass, but this was a situation where Fluttershy understood sometimes things were not rational. The heart and mind work very differently, and never seem to agree.

She resolved to wait for Rainbow to wake, and act based on her reaction. If Rainbow was okay with where they were now, then Fluttershy hoped it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to ask for more.

Fluttershy felt Rainbow softly stirring, the athlete's hair shifting slightly in her vision. Rainbow let go of Fluttershy to stretch her arms, slowly letting one fall over her shy friend once again.

"Comfy there?" Rainbow brought her arm around Fluttershy to bring her closer.

You have no idea. Fluttershy could only manage a small squeak, her cheeks colored a soft pink.

Rainbow patted her on her shoulder. "Come on, we'd better get up. I can smell the pancakes downstairs." Rainbow rose from the bed, stretching again before turning to Fluttershy. "You coming?"

"Oh, right!" Fluttershy quickly scrambled out of the bed and followed her friend down the steps.


After breakfast, the two spent a little more time in Rainbow's room, Rainbow taking her pet tortoise Tank out of his pen for the day. Fluttershy couldn't remember the number of times she had to correct her on the differences between a turtle and a tortoise, but she chalked up part of that to the rarity of tortoises in the general public's view. Rainbow always complained that the toy she had gotten way back when didn't quite match the pet she got just a year ago.

"And I've finally got everything I need to wax his shell, so maybe this weekend you could show me how its done."

"I'd love too!" Fluttershy watched as Tank lumbered into Rainbow's lap. "I'll have to do some research on the best techniques though. Some tortoises aren't very comfortable with anything messing with their home."

Rainbow snickered. "You sounded like Twilight for a sec there."

They both shared a small giggle before Rainbow got up, placing Tank on her bed. "Well, I'm guessing you're going to have to leave soon."

Fluttershy gave Rainbow a confused look as she stood. "Why do you think that?"

"You didn't have any plans for the rest of summer break?"

Fluttershy tensed up slightly, her hands fidgeting behind her back. "Not really."

"Well, what about Angel and the rest of the critters at your place?"

"Oh, Tree Hugger is watching them as a summer project, or something like that. Something to do with her nature club."

Rainbow smirked. "You don't know what she's doing it for?"

"Even I can't understand her all the time."

Rainbow chuckled softly before falling silent. The two remained standing for a few moments before Fluttershy spoke up again. "Actually, there was something I was hoping to do."

"What's that?" Rainbow asked as she leaned against her wall.

Come on, Fluttershy, you can do this. "I... I was w-wondering if you'd like to... to..."

"...to what?"

Fluttershy swallowed, attempting to rid herself of the lump she felt in her throat. "Would you l-like to join me for a picnic?"

"Pffft, that's it? Of course!" Rainbow went to dig through her dresser to find some clothes to wear for the day. "Who else is coming?"

When Fluttershy didn't respond, Rainbow turned towards her, seeing the girl suddenly red-faced and trembling. "Fluttershy, are you okay?" she asked in her most sincere tone.

Just spit it out! "Well, actually, I... I was h-hoping it w-would be j-j-just... just the two of us?"

Fluttershy couldn't even begin to describe how frightened she felt, her entire body wracked with nervous energy. Oh, I should have just kept my mouth shut!

Feeling a hand rest upon her shoulder, she looked up to see Rainbow now standing in front of her, a look of concern painting her otherwise confident visage. It helped Fluttershy to relax, at least a little bit.

"I'm cool with that."

Fluttershy let out a sigh of relief, her entire body dropping about an inch closer to the floor. Rainbow caught her in her arms, afraid she might actually fall over. "Heh, I guess I do have that effect on people." She led Fluttershy back over to her bed, then returned to her dresser to swap what she had picked out.

This caught Fluttershy's attention. "What are you doing?"

"Well, if it's just gonna be the two of us, I suppose I could afford to wear something a little different for the occasion." Rainbow continued to sift through the drawer, deliberately hiding anything she pulled out from Fluttershy's view. "You don't mind, do you?"

"Oh, of course not!" Fluttershy grabbed her own clothes that had been washed the previous night. She only hoped she could be prepared for what Rainbow had in store.