• Published 5th May 2018
  • 621 Views, 5 Comments

Rune Hunters - Cold Bolt



Apple Bloom and her friends must save a race of powerful otherworldly spirits that have unwittingly landed in Equestria.

  • ...
 5
 621

Aqua Wisp

In the night sky over Ponyville, a distant star twinkled.

It slowly grew brighter and brighter as it approached, descending from the heavens... and landing with a thunderous crash.

"Waugh!"

Apple Bloom toppled out of bed, landing on the floor with a thunk.

"Who, what, where, huh, what?" Her head darted this way and that, searching for the source of the loud noise that had woken her. After several seconds had passed, she raised a hoof to her head, having finally noticed it aching after her landing on it. "Owww..."

Slowly climbing up on all fours, she trotted over to her bedroom window and propped her forehooves up on the windowsill for a better look. A little ways out into the orchard, dust was settling around a small white object that gleamed in the moonlight.

"What in the hay is that?"

Apple Bloom glanced over her shoulder. She heard no sound from the rest of the house, save for the occasional bass-deep snore from Big Mac's room. Had she seriously been the only one woken up by the noise?

"Well, looks like it's up to me to investigate then," she whispered, making no effort to hide her excitement.

Carefully, she nudged her door open and peeked out into the hall, ears perked as she listened intently. Sure enough, no other signs of life made themselves known. Grinning, she stepped lightly as she made her way down the hall. She squatted low as she descended the stairs, crawling cat-like so as to avoid all the spots she knew would creak under her weight, and let out a quiet sigh of relief as she landed silently at the bottom.

It took all her willpower not to burst out the front door and ruin her stealth up to that point.

As energized as if she had just downed a pot of coffee, Apple Bloom raced across the grounds of Sweet Apple Acres toward the site where she had seen the object land.

"This is so cool!" she practically squealed. "Something strange and mysterious falls from the sky, and I'm gonna be the first one to check it out!" Her grin unrelenting, she skidded to a stop several feet away.

"Now hold on there," she warned herself aloud, pausing for a moment to steady her breath and her fierce heartbeat. "It might be dangerous, or it might be nothing. Take it slow, now."

Seconds later, she was already scooping the object out of the dirt with her forehooves.

"Wow, cool! It's..." She paused. "...What the heck is this thing, anyway?"

She found herself staring at a square slab of stone, almost bleached white. A black shape was visible on one side, a thick curve ending in sharp points. Curious, she placed her hoof on the strange mark... and gasped as it lit up.

Innocent one...

"Gah!" Startled, Apple Bloom dropped the slab. "Who - Who said that?"

Innocent one... The voice seemed to be coming from everywhere and nowhere at once, as though within her own mind. Tell me your name...

"Who wants to know?" Apple Bloom challenged, ears flat against her head as she stared defiantly at the glowing symbol on the slab before her.

Your world is in danger from a power that does not belong here... warned the voice. I would beseech your aid, that together we may right that which has been set wrong...

Apple Bloom's expression softened. "Equestria's in danger? And you need help?" She swallowed. "...My help?"

Hurry... insisted the voice. Tell me your name...

"My..." Shivering, she swallowed again. "I'm... Apple Bloom."

Apple Bloom... the voice confirmed. Innocent Apple Bloom, take my Aqua Wisp... Take up the rune before you, such that I may grant you my power. The power of Stoldark, the Water Guardian...

Slowly, Apple Bloom lifted the slab in her trembling forehooves once again. She squinted as its glow intensified, washing out the orchard around her.

In an instant, the whole world had faded to white...


Apple Bloom, innocent one...

The voice echoed still.

Apple Bloom... Apple Bloom...

Yeah, that was her name, alright. How many times did she need to hear it?

"Apple Bloom? You awake, sugarcube?"

Her eyes popped open. Warm sunlight streamed in her window.

"Ain't like you to sleep in this late. Almost missed breakfast," said the familiar voice of her big sister Applejack. "You feeling alright?"

"I... I'm fine, Applejack," said Apple Bloom, rubbing her face as she sat up. "Just had a real doozy of a dream, is all..."

"Well hurry on down to the kitchen then." Applejack turned and trotted for the door. "Won't do to tackle your chores on an empty belly!"

"Uh huh," came Apple Bloom's noncommittal reply.

As her sister's hoofsteps faded down the hall, Apple Bloom spent a moment in thought. That was right, wasn't it? It had to have been a dream. It was too freaky to be real.

So how come she could still hear the echo of that strange voice in her head?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a rather insistent gurgling noise from her stomach. Whatever it was, she wouldn't be figuring it out just sitting here in bed anyway, right? Licking her lips in anticipation, she hopped out of bed and followed her sister's trail downstairs.

"Well now, there ya are! Sawed any more logs than that, and you'da cut a hole clean through the floor!"

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes as she hopped into her chair at the table and began serving herself oats and scrambled eggs on a plate. "I didn't sleep that long, Granny! Geez..."

Granny Smith chuckled to herself for a moment before taking a long swig of apple juice.

"Hope that means you're ready then," said Applejack as she scrubbed her breakfast dishes clean in the sink. "Still up for replanting all the trees we lost to that bout of blight, are you?"

"Mhmm!" Apple Bloom nodded as she chewed. "Don't you worry none. I can handle it, no problem! Right, Big Mac?"

"Eeyup."

"See, he thinks so too." Apple Bloom beamed.

Applejack smirked. "Let's hope you're still this eager once you been at it a while. Mac and I'll be in the south field if you need anything." She set the clean dishes aside to dry. "Let's get to it."

"Eeyup."

With that, the two big ponies marched out the door, bound for the orchard.

Apple Bloom scarfed down the rest of her breakfast, splashed her dishes with only barely enough water to rinse them clean, and hurried off to tackle her responsibilities for the day. The sooner she finished them, the sooner she could go spend time with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, and that was all the motivation she needed. Before long, she was dragging a small wagon containing a trowel and a big bag of seeds over to one end of the orchard, where an empty patch of freshly overturned earth awaited her.

Taking the trowel in her teeth, Apple Bloom dug a small hole in the dirt, tossed a seed into it, then packed the dirt back into it before spitting the trowel back into the wagon. She then reached for something else in the wagon, only for her forehoof to grasp empty air.

"Aw, shoot!" She frowned. "Now how did I go and forget the watering can? Ugh, now I gotta go all the way back to the barn for it."

Perhaps not.

Apple Bloom tripped and fell on her face in the dirt.

Fear not, little one. I mean you no harm. The voice was eerily familiar...

"Who, what, where - ?" Apple Bloom scrambled back up onto her hooves, unsure of which way to face to properly address the voice. "Wait a minute... it's you! From that dream! S... Sto... Spoder! Stopper? Standard?"

Stoldark, corrected the voice. And I assure you, that was no dream. I require your assistance, Apple Bloom; would you hear my request?

Apple Bloom blinked. Somehow the whole situation really wasn't any less freaky under the light of day... but confirmation that it had been real the whole time caused her curiosity to spike, overtaking her wariness. This 'Stoldark' hadn't made any attempt to hurt her or her family, as far as she was aware; what could it hurt to hear them out?

"Uhh... sure?"

As I have stated, I am the Water Guardian, said Stoldark. I hail from the world of Filgaia, where my fellow Guardians and I watch over the land and maintain peace... but a powerful enemy we thought defeated long ago has resurfaced to threaten that peace. Their first act was to banish my brethren and me, flinging us across space and time to your world. I fear Filgaia will fare poorly against this ancient foe in our absence.

"Oh geez..."

Moreover, some of us may respond poorly - perhaps even violently - to the prospect of isolation in so strange and unknown a place as this. I would ask you then, noble Apple Bloom: will you assist me in rescuing my fellow Guardians for the sake of both of our worlds?

"Gosh, I..."

Apple Bloom bit her lip as indecision tore at her heart. This whole business sounded pretty dangerous... not that she was scared or anything! She did have a lot of responsibilities on her plate already, though. School, farm chores, cutie mark work with her fellow Crusaders... She wasn't hurting for ways to occupy herself, that was for sure.

On the other hoof, this was a... a something from another world, asking for her help finding its friends! She wasn't sure she really understood this business about an enemy or whatever, but she could understand being scared and lonely and wanting to go home.

She could totally make it work! She was a Cutie Mark Crusader, after all.

Apple Bloom grinned. "I'll do it!"

Then henceforth we shall be allies, until such time as my brethren and I might return to our Filgaia. Though she couldn't see a face or anything, Apple Bloom could tell Stoldark was relieved to hear her answer.

A moment of silence followed.

"So, uh..." Apple Bloom pawed idly at the dirt. "What do I do first?"

I do not sense the presence of any runes in the vicinity, said Stoldark. For now, you should endeavor to familiarize yourself with the magic of the Aqua Wisp, such that you may make use of it when the need arises.

"Magic?" Blink. "You mean... I can use magic?"

So long as you possess a rune, the powers of the Guardian within are yours to command. Gather your will and focus the power of Water to your fingertips.

"My what now?"

A pause. Your hooftips, perhaps?

"Oh, okay!"

Apple Bloom held out her forehoof, closed her eyes, and concentrated. The image of the watering can she had left behind surfaced in her mind, and she grasped onto it, picturing it turning over and dispensing its contents before her.

"Did I do it...?"

Opening her eyes one at a time, she watched in awe as a gentle stream of water poured from her hoof, soaking the ground.

"I did it! I did it! This is so cool!" Apple Bloom hopped excited circles around her handiwork. Sure, technically all three pony races had magic in some form or another - Applejack's skill at apple bucking wasn't all in the legs, as most seemed to think - but this was like she'd just sprouted a horn and picked up a spellbook! If she still held any apprehension about agreeing to help, it was completely drowned out by her newfound excitement.

Unfortunately, the sound of her hooves squishing in the mud nearly was as well.

"Wh, what?"

To her consternation, her hoof was still dispensing water, which had now drenched the ground all around as she hopped in circles. Alarmed, she shook the offending limb vigorously, but the stream of water did not abate. "Aaugh! How do I make it stop?"

The same way you made it start, came the patient reply. Focus.

Apple Bloom closed her eyes again, now imagining water turning off in as many ways as possible - tilting the watering can upright, tightening the knob on the hose, twisting the sink handle closed...

The sound of sprinkling water ceased, causing her to breathe a sigh of relief.

...Perhaps I should be a bit more direct in my instruction? asked Stoldark.

"Might be a good idea," said Apple Bloom, shaking some of the mud from her hooves. "And maybe we oughtta try again after I'm done with my chores? I don't want Applejack to think I just goofed around all morning or nothing."

As you wish. You seem quite responsible, Apple Bloom.

"Aw, shucks." Apple Bloom's cheeks turned pink for a second. "Although, if I practice that sprinkler trick, I could probably be done faster than using the watering can..."


"Ha!"

With a sweeping gesture, Apple Bloom threw her hoof forward. A heavy stream of water erupted from it, flying through the air in an arc until it struck an apple sitting on a tree stump several yards away and sent it flying.

"Yeehaw! Bull's eye!"

Your third consecutive hit, said Stoldark. Excellent work, Apple Bloom. It brings me confidence to see you learn so much in a single afternoon.

Apple Bloom trotted across the small forest clearing hit and sat down on the now drenched tree stump, squinting in the late afternoon sun.

"I just hope Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo ain't upset that I didn't come over today on account of how important it was to practice this stuff."

Or how fun it was either, she thought to herself. While it may have just been borrowed power, the idea of having actual magic of her own was exciting in a way she could hardly describe! Was this how unicorns felt while learning magic for the first time?

"I hope we start finding your friends soon," she added. "I feel like I'm ready for anything!"

"Apple Bloom? Who are you talking to?"

"Ghk!" Apple Bloom made a strangled noise as she whirled around to find her two best friends staring at her quizzically. "Oh, uh, hi girls!"

"You okay, Apple Bloom?" asked Sweetie Belle. "Applejack says you never left the farm after you finished your chores."

"Uh." Scootaloo glanced around. "Why's the forest around here all wet? It didn't rain today."

"That's, uh..." Apple Bloom glanced this way and that in an attempt to concoct a cover story... and in seconds, her eyes lit up. "That's exactly what I was up to! I found everything all wet here and wanted to investigate, but..." She made a show of sighing. "No clues or nothing. Just a bunch of trees all wet for no reason."

"Maybe somepony had a really wild pool party back here, and finished taking the pool away just before you arrived," offered Scootaloo.

"Yeah, maybe!" Apple Bloom yawned. "Anyways, I'm beat. Sorry girls, but I think I need a nap."

Scootaloo pouted. "Aww..."

Sweetie Belle smiled. "That's okay! We'll have time tomorrow after school, right?"

"Totally," said Apple Bloom.

Sweetie's smile expanded into a grin. "Okay! Have a nice nap, Apple Bloom!"

"Yeah, see you tomorrow!" added Scootaloo.

Apple Bloom waved as the pair departed, then turned around and trotted off toward the farmhouse, frowning.

You are close to those two? asked Stoldark.

"They're my best friends in the whole wide world," said Apple Bloom.

Yet you withheld the truth from them.

Apple Bloom stared at the dirt. "I..." She paused for a deep breath. "I ain't backing down now that I said I'd help, I promise. But..."

You worry about involving those important to you, suggested the ethereal voice.

"Yeah." Apple Bloom gazed up at the sky. "I dunno how dangerous this is gonna be, and I know they'll wanna help when they find out about it... so I don't want them to find out until I got a better idea of what's going on. Getting in trouble myself is one thing, but I'd feel right awful if my friends got hurt 'cause of me, you know?"

An admirable sentiment.

"You think so?"

I do.

"You're alright, Stoldark." Apple Bloom's smile gave way for a yawn. "Whew, I wasn't lying about being tired though. A nap sounds pretty good right now."

It will do you much good to rest. Channeling the power of a Guardian is strenuous; I am impressed by your vitality.

Apple Bloom giggled. "Don't go praising me too much now, you're gonna make me blush!"


Long ago, Filgaia was inhabited by two noble races: the Humans, with their insatiable curiosity and indomitable spirit... and the Elw, who laced technology with magic, resulting in the most wondrous of creations. Under the watchful eye of the Guardians, they lived in peace and prosperity for generation after generation.

That peace was forever shattered the day the Metal Demons arrived. Having lost their home world in a terrible accident, they traveled the cosmos in search of a new one... and cared nothing for those who stood in their way. So it was that they set their sights on Filgaia, sparking the longest and bloodiest war the once tranquil world had ever known.

By banding together and summoning all their strength, the inhabitants of Filgaia did finally repel the invaders... but their victory came at a terrible cost: the once verdant landscape lay ruined by the war, fields and forests now replaced with desert and desolation.

Its peoples fared scarcely better. Their world no longer capable of sustaining their way of life, the Elw departed for a pocket dimension of their own creation, never to return. The exhausted Guardians fell to slumber, years stretching into centuries as they recovered from the conflict. The intrepid Humans elected to carry on unabated, but as the knowledge of their former allies passed first into memory and then legend, even their mighty spirits began to dwindle with the passage of time.

A thousand years it has been, and the unthinkable has come to pass: the Metal Demons have resurfaced, their goal unchanged. With no Elw or Guardians to fight alongside them, the Humans may not have the power to win a second war for Filgaia.

Staring out her bedroom window at the twinkling stars beyond, Apple Bloom clutched her pillow as the voice in her mind grew quiet.

"Gosh, that's... a real downer of a story you got there," she said at length.

I wish to offer you no illusions about the magnitude of my mission, said Stoldark. There is every chance my world will be lost at any time. Even so, I will fulfill my duty as a Guardian of Filgaia, so long as there is a Filgaia to protect.

An uncomfortable pause filled the air. Dread threatened to close in around Apple Bloom as she pondered the weight of Stoldark's words. Promising to help her new friend was all well and good, a no-brainer even... but it was hard not to feel small and insignificant when the fate of an entire world was at stake.

"Hey, so... does that mean it's my turn?"

Of course, there were few who knew the impact of small things as well as Apple Bloom did.

Stoldark seemed to hesitate. Your turn for what?

"To tell a story, silly!" Apple Bloom grinned as the answer came to her. "'Cause I got one for you about Equestria, since you told me one about your world. It's my favorite, 'cause it's got my big sister in it!"

I would be delighted to hear more about your world, Apple Bloom, said Stoldark. By all means, share your tale.

If this didn't lift the spirit's spirits, nothing would.

Apple Bloom cleared her throat. "Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land..."