• Published 5th Dec 2017
  • 1,040 Views, 29 Comments

The Discordiens. - Guardian Blade



Discord makes a bet with Fluttershy which unknown to her involves the quiet pegasus learning a few new things and causing “a bit” of chaos. (Starts at the beginning of season 2)

  • ...
2
 29
 1,040

Chapter 1. A completely random bet.

Author's Note:

This FIM Fiction was inspired by the song "The Discordians" by the YouTube group, The Shake Ups. Link to the song https://youtu.be/VvgX42PKh8Q . This is also the first FIM Fiction I've wrote, so I'm open to any suggestions/advice.

Also just a quick note, wail I’m planning on writing a romance focused chapter or two later on in the story, it won’t appear for awhile and isn’t the main focus as I like to give characters plenty of time to get to know each other and not rush anything.

Anyway, our story begins all the way back at the beginning of season 2. Enjoy!

Edit: If you dislike this story, then please do let me know why. Us authors can’t grow if we don’t know what we did wrong. ;-)

Edit 2: I finally decided to ask, would anyone be interested in being an editor for this story? I was hesitant to ask because I'm a slow writer, but I decided to ask about it here as well as in a proof reader group. I know I’ve made a lot of mistakes, so I probably need one.

Discord was haveing a wonderful time! Not only was he finally free of his stone prison, but had also already begun to turn Equestria upside-down, quite literally infact!

Several of the elements of harmony, or at least the ponies that used them, were already acting like a bunch of old grannies that had had run out of tea and coffee. It was priceless!

Discord was now flying around as tree pink butterflies as Fluttershy chased him around. It was going to be so much fun bringing up everything that should bother her until she snapped. He chuckled to himself as he imagined the look on Twilight Sparkle's face when she next saw her freind!

. . . Afew moments later Discord realized just how hard it was to get the yellow pegasus angry. She had a comeback for everything he said!

He brought up her weakness, her shyness, how she was like a doormat, and even how ponies would point out all these things. And she wouldn't even show a speck of annoyance!

She was glad her friends pointed out her fault's. She was weak and helpless. Who would just admit to being like that! It made him positively sick.

Discord turned back into his original form in a flash of light, "oh why do you have to be so boring!" He said. And was about to poke the top of her head and change that dull attatude of hers to something more interesting when she spoke.

"I'm, boring?" Fluttershy said, and Discord froze. He ALWAYS got the last laugh, the final word, the end jab in a conversation. Even when he had been turned to stone! If he changed her now the memory would haunt him for the rest of eternity!

"Yes boring!" He said, turning the poke in to a point. "Seriously, when was the last time you actually had fun?! And don't say the last one of Pinkie's parties, the closest to actual fun you came at any of those was "having a nice time". I'm talking about real fun! You know, where you laugh so hard your sides hurt and you don't have a care in the world! When was the last time that happened, hmm?" Excellent speech Discord! Though it could use a bit of work. It had been a long time since he had some clever banter, and he was out of practice. Perhaps this Pegasus could help him get his amazing talking skills back in shape, it's not like he was short on time or anything.

"I, I'm not sure if I've ever laughed like that" Fluttershy responded. Then she realized something odd about what Discord had said. "Wait, how would you know how much fun I have at Pinkie Pie’s parties?"

Discord leaned back and reclined in mid air, waving his hand in a dismissive gesture, "oh that? It's not like I was asleep when I was a statue, only my body was frozen. And though most of my power was sealed with me I was still quite capable of traveling in spirit. Now that I think about it I should probably thank your friend for all those party's, they really got me out of being completely bonkers with boredom. Well those and your little outburst at the gala, that was priceless!"

Discord was of course expecting a response to that, and he got one. And though he really should have known the kind of response the element of Kindness would give, he was still a little surprised by what she said.

"You were awake all those years?! All alone with nopony to talk to? Oh you poor thi-i-ing!" Fluttershy cried, giving Discord a hug and started to pat him on the back.

"Hay, stop that! Get off!" It didn't take long for the draconaquis to resort to teleporting out of the crying pegasus's hooves. "Why are you crying? It's not like anything happened to you."

Fluttershy wiped her eye's, "I'm sorry" she said, still sniffling a little, "it's just that I can't even imagine what it must have been like. Being alone for all those years, it must have been awful!"

Discord inwardly twitched. She had hit the nail on the head so hard the hammer had gone through the bord. And it made him feel like he was losing control of the conversation. He really must be getting rusty if he had allowed it to get this far out of his control, and so fast to! He decided to shift the conversation in a different direction before it got even more out of hand.

"Well yes it was awful, but it probably wasn't as bad as what Celestia puts herself through. I mean, who willingly go's through such boring blah blah blah stuff just to make a few stuck up ponies happy? I honestly think her life could do with a bit more chaos, though I guess I think the entire world could do with more chaos, but that's besides the point."

Discord was curious to see where the Pegasus pony would take the conversation from here. Sure that if he spent a bit more time he would manage to get a proper rise out of her, not that annoying sobbing thing she had done.

Then Discord got the biggest shock of his life. He paused for a moment and blinked, trying to process what he had just herd. Had she really just said that? It didn't make any sense!

"Could you repeat that?" Discord said,"I don't think I herd you quite right."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Fluttershy responded, "I said, then why don't you? Give Celestia's life a bit more chaos that is."

Discord blinked again. He had indeed heard her right, but- "That doesn't make any sense! Which is perfectly fine with me, but aren't you supposed to be an element of harmony or something? You know, the opposite of chaos. And yet if I'm not mistaken you seem to be actually suggesting that I turn Celestia's world upside down. Not that I wasn't planning to of course."

"Um, that's not exactly what I meant." Fluttershy responded, "What I meant was why don't you do what you said and give her life a bit more chaos. Judging by what she said after the gala I think you may be right that she puts herself through to much, and that she could use a bit more fun in her life. As long as you keep it small I don't think she'd mind."

Discord held up his paw, now extremely curious, "Wait wait wait wait, what could Celestia possibly have said after the gala that could make you think that she wouldn't mind a bit of chaos?"

Fluttershy repeated the word's Celestia had spoken that night, which had honestly suprised her a bit as well. "She said, that was the best Grand galloping gala ever! And then she said that she was trilled we were all attending because she was hoping we could liven things up."

"Celestia actually said that?" Discord responded thoughtfully, stroking his beard. Then he waved his claw dismissively, "but why would I ever give up total chaos for a bit of chaos just because someone else might enjoy it? That's stupid."

Fluttershy just smiled, "well why do you cause chaos? It's to have fun and laugh right? Because you enjoy it?"

Discord rolled his eye's. Wasn't that obvious? "Well duh. Why else would I do something?"

Fluttershy simply noded, "I thought so. But you know what they say." She said with as calm a smile as ever, "laughter is more enjoyable when sharing it with others."

Discord was about to make a remark about that, but then a random idea suddenly poped into his head. Now usually he would immediately do whatever poped into his head, chaos and all that, but the idea that had just appeared in his mind was so absolutely crazy that even the spirit of chaos had to pause and think about it.

"Hmmmmm," Discord said wail stroking his beard and thinking for all of five seconds, a new personal record! "You know, this gives me an idea. It's not like I'm short on time, so how about we make a bet?"

Fluttershy was a little confused by this question, "a bet?" She asked, wondering what Discord could possibly have to gain from such a thing.

"Yes, a bet" Discord replied. "Nothing to big mind you, just something like this. If you can get me to enjoy doing a "little bit" of chaos and laughing along with somepony more then total chaos even once, and I mean a very noticeable amount, then I'll keep at it for about hmmmm, a week. But if you can't, then YOU have to do something chaotic. So how's it sound? If I lose I have to tone down my chaos for a week, but if you lose you have to go out and actually cause chaos! Kind of ironic really. Oh and I'll turn things back to normal wail the bet's on. If you lost and nopony noticed the chaos you caused because all my brilliant chaos was distracting them it would be kind of pointless wouldn't it? And after my week or your chaos is done, I can re hide the elements, and you can all try and stop me again. Or maybe you'll be able to teach me something about having fun and I'll end up doing something else. Who knows? So what do you think? Sounds fair right?"

Fluttershy thought about it. She knew that Discord probably had some sort of plan. However she had noticed his slight pause when she had responded to him calling her "boring". This meant that he probably hadn't been thinking of the plan he was thinking of now for very long. In fact, it was probably then or even later in the conversation that he had come up with any sort of plan other than the one that he had originally worked up. Whatever that was.

Fluttershy may have been shy, but she wasn't stupid, and she could usually tell when someone's ego was getting in the way. She had known RainbowDash for quite a long time after all. And though Discord was much more skilled than Rainbow Dash at talking, she could still tell that it was his pride that was keeping him here instead of doing whatever he had originally planned. After all, he didn't want to lose the conversation, as prideful ponies, and apparently prideful draconaquie, never do.

With all this in mind Fluttershy made her decision, "I'll do it" she said. After all, if she could stall the draconaquis long enough, her friends might be able to find the elements or another way of defeating him even if she lost the bet. And if she won the bet, she might be able to show Discord that while having fun by yourself was all well and good, joy was truly brought to life when you were with friends.

Then a thought suddenly struck Fluttershy. Had Discord ever had a friend? Even if he had one before, he had been turned to stone for over 1000 years, and once again she could only imagine how lonely that would have been. With this in mind Fluttershy made another decision. if a friend Discord needed, then a friend she would give him! And she would only use her element, once they found them that is, if absolutely necessary. There was no way she was going two sentence someone to that lonely of an existence unless everyone else was in danger. And even then she would make sure to talk to Celestia about it afterwards.

Fluttershy snapped out of her thoughts as Discord held out his claw, "well" he said, "should we shake on it?"

Fluttershy nodded, "oh, yes, sorry," and was about to shake his claw when she paused, "Discord," she said, "please uncross your hoof, and take your paw out from behind your back. We both know your quite capable of crossing that as well."

Discord quickly did as she said, "oh, woopsy! Doing that has become such a habit that I didn't even notice. There we are, much better!" Discord said uncrossing his hoof, then held out his claw once again. This time making sure his legs, arms, and even his tail were visible!

"Thank you." Fluttershy said, shaking his claw, "and don't worry about it. I've been so deep in thought before that I fed all the animals at my house without even realizing it!" Then she gave a small chuckle, " it's kind of funny actually. I wonder if you could go through an entire day without realizing it if you had enough habits?"

To her surprise the draconaquis chuckled a little himself, "that sounds dreadfully dull! I think we could both agree that if anyone like that existed they would need more then just a bit of chaos." Fluttershy chuckled a little as well. She had a feeling that those words of hers were going to be brought up several times during the next few days, or however long she had to show Discord how nice it was to have fun with a friend.

"Shall we get going?" Discord asked.

"Um, go where?" Fluttershy responded.

"Well that's up to you now isn't it? You're the one trying to show me that laughing with someone can be more fun even if I'm causing less chaos. So, where are we going?"

Fluttershy got a slightly worried look on her face, "oh, oh I'm sorry but I don't really know where the best place for causing "a bit" of chaos would be. Especially a place where ponies need "a bit" of chaos. Well other then helping Celestia actually relax and have a bit fun herself, but I'm not sure that's the best place to start."

Discord Shrugged, "not to worry, we have plenty of stuff to do in the mean time. Like turning my beautiful landscape back to the dull way it used to be for when woops I mean if you lose the bet." Discord snapped his claws and the cotton candy clouds disappeared as we'll as all the other random things around. The animals turned back to normal, and even Fluttershy's wings reappeared. She guessed the same had happened her friends, though she couldn't be sure, especially sense it was Discord.

"Well," Discord said turning around and waving his paw, "your friends are probably going to want to have some sort of boring get together to make sure you're all alright or whatever. Just make sure not to mention the bet. If you lose I want it to be a surprise! Hohoho! I'll drop by in a few hours, that should give you enough time to get through that. I haven't been home in over 1000 years you know! I bet the dishes have gone and cleaned themselves again." And with that, he got on the back of a flying pig, making Fluttershy wonder just how long that had been there, and disappeared in a small flash of light.

Fluttershy just stood there, thinking about everything that had just happened. Every one seemed to view Discord in a negative light, not that she could blame them. But now that she had actually talked to him a little, he didn't seem all that bad. To Fluttershy, Discord just seemed lonely, even though he himself probably didn't realise he was, and he was trying to fill the void with the one thing he knew he enjoyed, chaos.

"She's over here!"

Fluttershy snapped out of her thoughts and saw Rainbow Dash flying down towards her. The blue pegasus flew straight down towards her, pulling up at the last second while flapping her wings to slow down and landed as graceful as a feather on the ground. Well, a giant feather that kicked up a bunch of dust that is, but a feather none the less.

"Hay Fluttershy you alright?" RainbowDash asked as Twilight pulled apart a pice of the hedge with her magic and the rest of her friends came through.

Fluttershy gave a small nod, "yes I'm fine, and I'm glad to see everyone's wings and horns are back."

"Great!" RainbowDash replied, then got an annoyed look on her face, "what's Discord up to? First he takes our wings and horns for that stupid game of his, then just gives them back with no explanation and dissappears without a trace! It doesn't make any sense!"

"Well he is Discord, so maybe he's just tryin to confuse us." AppelJack offered as she walked over with the rest. "Or mabye princess Celestia and princess Luna found some way to stop him wail he was distracted with us."

Twilight tapped her chin in thought, "hmmmm, I hope so. But you're right that this could just be a trick to confuse us. Let's hed back to Canterlot and ask Celestia."


At Canterlot, Celestia told them that she did not know what had caused Discord to seemingly vanish. But she agreed with AppelJack that he was probably up to something.

After that everyone returned home and Celestia had the royal guard search the maze, the castle grounds, and the entire palace for the elements. Though eventually Twilight did find a note from Discord inside the libraries book on the elements which read, "I'll just be keeping these for a wail until I dicide to start up that little game we were playing before I got an interesting idea. Ta ta for now!"

When Twilight told Celestia about the note, she seemed worried. As little as she had actually talked to Discord in their confrontations, she couldn't recall him calling one of his chaotic ideas "interesting," It was always something like, "hilarious" or "stupendous." And the fact that he had admitted something was interesting enough to stop all the chaos going on was worrying. Why hadn't he left it?

The questions left unanswered, and Discord nowhere to be found, everypony did their best to look for the elements wail Twilight scoured the library for some sort of spell that might help whenever Discord returned.


A week later Fluttershy leaned back in her chair at the back of her house. Smiling as she looked up at the stars. All her pet's were asleep, and she could be alone with her thoughts. She had some planning to get done before tomorrow after all.

Fluttershy tapped her hooves together. There was a small flash of yellow magic, and she picked up the cup of hot tea and the saucer from out of midair before taking a sip and relaxing. "Time to cause a bit of chaos."