• Published 19th Nov 2017
  • 573 Views, 3 Comments

A Not So Proper Courtship - BibiG



Rarity refuses to love anypony not proper and perfect enough for her. After all, she only deserves the best! But, of course, it's a certain farm mare who starts showing her affections. And Rarity then starts giving requirements for a proper courtship

  • ...
2
 3
 573

Scary Compatibility

Rarity looked at the list on her table, frowning. The list should have been delivered to Applejack yesterday, but Rainbow Dash have refused to, going on memory alone. "Oh Celestia... she likely added her own twists on all this." Hopefully she got the general gist of the rules down.

And there wasn't even many rules, Rarity believed she was being generous! Applejack simply had to pick her up at Rarity's home at seven sharp, in the most formal wear she could muster, take her to, at the very least, a three-star restaurant, then be the mare equivalent of a gentlecolt! Simple!

The doorbell knocked Rarity out of her thoughts, and knocked her heartbeat into a frantic rhythm. She found herself smoothing down her straightened out mane before she caught herself, she was beautiful, why was she worrying? Actually, why was she worrying so much at all, she only liked Applejack as a friend, this was just generosity.

Instead of thinking more, her thoughts were going in circles after all, she left her table, calling out, "I will be there in a moment!" She didn't swing the door open, no mare should, but the sight before her caused her to unfortunately forget to say a greeting.

Applejack was in a dress, an actual yellow, genuinely pretty dress, and that alone managed to be surprising. Yes, she wasn't wearing make-up, but she somehow was still a beauty, which Rarity never thought she would ever, well, think. Especially about a farm mare!

"I have to say, your appearance is put together nicely!" She gestured vaguely at Applejack, not exactly sure where to point, mostly at the dress, but there were other good points too!

Applejack seemed blissfully unaware of Rarity plight, smiling extremely genuinely. "Aww, well, Ah'm glad to hear that! This dress ain't from you're boutique or anything, but Ah thought it'd work for this fancy thing. Oh! Almost forgot!" She held a hoof up bent at an angle, looking a little confused. "Now, Ah think Ah'm supposed to take your hoof and say somethin' like prose, but Ah don't know that much so... ready?"

Rarity froze for a second, not even reaching towards Applejack's outstretched hoof. This, this wasn't a perfect courtship already. But she felt so happy already. That was... strange, very, very strange. Still, she took hold of Applejack's hoof, smile a bit shaky. She shouldn't be feeling this charmed, she really shouldn't.

Applejack led her across town and Rarity craned her neck around, figuring out where in Ponyville they were going. Cleanly cut hedges, even streets, good, good, this was a good part of their lovely town. Even with this evidence that Applejack was bringing to a nice restaurant, Rarity still let out a sigh of relief as a large, bright building crested into view. She didn't even know this certain restaurant, she just knew it was something she could tolerate, she was aware there clearly wasn't a dress code judging by a stallion and mare pair passing by with only hats perched on their heads, but beggers couldn't be choosers!

"Good choice Applejack! I didn't believe you had it in you!" Rarity lifted her eyes to the golden decorations above, she wondered if she could implant a few of these designs into her own work. While some things were unoriginal, she couldn't tell you how many times she have witnessed a tiny, golden chandelier, she could shape those through her own imagination!

Unfortunately, her raised gaze caused her to miss the smile dropping off of Applejack's face at her words, eyes furrowed and mouth taking on a tight line for just a moment. However, the easy smile was soon back on her face as Rarity's eyes met her's again. "W-Well, Ah try mah best. Ah think we can just sit somewhere, especially 'cause nopony is tellin' us anything."

With that, they ended up taking a windowside seat, curtains drawn back enough to see the activities of Ponyville outside. "I'd call this as rather pretty spot, what say you Applejack?"

Applejack squinted her eyes, then spoke, a laugh growing in her voice. "Ah'd say somepony must 'ave treated his mare wrong today."

Rarity leaned to the side, spotting the scene as it played out. A ragged looking stallion, still in his tuxedo was chasing after a mare with tired eyes, wait, no, it was simply thick mascara. As he caught up she spun and began a rant. Well, Rarity assumed she was ranting, the wild gestures certainly suggested what the silence could not. Soon, Rarity found herself laughing, and nothing proper was in this laugh, it was raucous, high-pitched, and something she'd be embarrassed of if Applejack didn't join in.

Before the laugh could wind down, Rarity placed her hooves on the table to try and steady herself, almost unconsciously. She noticed, however, when Applejack reached forward as if to place her own hooves on top of Rarity's. Which she failed to do as Rarity suddenly shot her hooves away from Applejack's, in an obviously intentional way. And just like that the little, amusing moment was done, and Applejack awkwardly crossed her forelegs on the table, smile increasingly strained.

Rarity placed one hoof under chin, turning her head away from Applejack. What was she doing? This moment just proved neither of them act like the perfect couple together. So what if Applejack managed to make her laugh, she wasn't the perfect pony Rarity wanted. These thoughts evidently were not agreeing with her stomach, which seemed to shrink with every continued thought. This might be a long night...

Author's Note:

Oh dear, this chapter is a bit shorter, next one won't though!