• Published 13th May 2018
  • 401 Views, 0 Comments

Mostly to Protect ! - Captain_Stallion



Most of the time Cadfael was just a simple Earth pony, but life is not always simple.

  • ...
 0
 401

Chapter 5

Mostly to Protect


Cadfael had walked closer than was safe towards the Everfree forest.

He laughed at the notion that Princess Celestia had sold the Apple family the idea to claim land right next to the most dangerous place in all Equestria.

But he thought again as he looked at the almost black trees not more than a couple hundred hooves away, and now another idea passed through his head. "It took a brave pony to claim these lands."

He saw pathways that went no closer than fifty hooves towards the forest. He had been told of these areas where special flowers or herbs grew, and he decided that the Everfree would be a good place to hide for Captain Stallion, or at least giving the impression that he lived there.

After a few minutes of looking around he found a covered gully, but before he could check it out he now heard a distant sound, it was his Mamma's whistle, and that told him to come back to the house.

He grabbed his saddle bags where he had left them earlier, and then tossed them on his back. Cadfael realized that he was more than likely in trouble, and he began running back towards the farm as fast as he could.

As he came into the yard, he saw Mama Thimble stood in the doorway of the house. She didn't appear to be smiling, and he knew he was ether late or she knew he had gotten to close to the forest edge.

Cadfael stopped running, and trotted up to Mama with a wide smile. “Hello Mama, time for lessons?”

Mama reached down and took him by the ear, then brought her face close to his, and as she began to speak; there was almost a note of disappointment in her voice. “You are not only late for lessons, but you went to the edge of the Everfree forest.” She now shook her head as she continued to Talk at him. “It is a wild place, with many beasts that would eat a colt like you for a snack!”

Cadfael knew he was caught, and just admitted it to his Mama. “Yes Mama, I went close to the edge of the Everfree!”

Her face grew softer, and she let go of his ear. He stood up, and gave a slight bowing of the head. “I'm sorry Mama, I wanted to find a private place away from everything, and everypony.”

Thimble now had a softer expression on her face, and she bent over and kissed her colts head. “I do not punish young ponies that tell the truth.”

She now turned around and looked in the house. She spoke as she knew another pony had been listening in. her voice had a commanding tone in it as she then spoke. "Mountain Rose!"

A voice replied from just inside the house.. “No Mama, truthful ponies do not get punished.”

Both Cadfael and his Mama went inside the farm house, and took seats in the large Front room. Thimble had set up a chalk board. and she now took Cadfael's small slate writing board, and wrote out several math problems, and then passed it to him. She then spoke. after your done with the problems on your board. I want you to write out the alphabet, upper and lower case on the big board."

Thimble was amazed how quickly Cadfael caught onto his lesson. Cadfael was already writing fairly well, but Mama took note of the many words that he had misspelled, and she just made a list of them to work on later. Although today, she was going to give him some simple math problems.

Thimble now looked at her daughter Mountain Rose. She told her daughter earlier before that she was expected her to spark magic from her horn today.

Mountain Rose now became more vocal about her displeasure. The little filly dropped her ears, and frowned, and in a voice that only Silver Spoon or Diamond Tiara could match began her whining . “Mama give me something easier, that's to hard.”

Thimble had her daughter stand up, and close her eyes, and in a calm voice she spoke to Mountain Rose. “Don't think about it, just relax.”

Mountain Rose thought she had finally figured a way out a way around Mama’s home schooling. "I just can't do it Mama!"

That was when Mama brought a switched across her flank.

Mountain Rose screamed as if she had been branded, but her horn on the other hoof sparked bright enough to light the room, and it lasted for a number of seconds afterwards.

Thimble patted her daughter on the head. “Good filly.” She now offered her daughter a small cookie.
Mountain Rose looked at the tiny reward, and thought of the stinging on her flanks.

Thimble now smiled at her daughter, and looked the little filly in the eyes and said. “Now do it again!”

Mountain Rose looked at her Mama's smile, and now with little effort she sparked her magic, not as bright as before, but still enough to cause Mama Thimble to smile, and speak. “Very good Mountain Rose.” Again she gave her a small cookie, and a kiss to her head.

Mama Thimble now turned to Cadfael and asked. “Will you be done soon colt?”

Cadfael looked at Mama, and with a wide grin replied. “Mama it's done, is that OK?

Thimble Gave Cadfael quizzical look and then took the board to check. and as she examined it she saw all the problems were correctly done.

Thimble now looked and had to ask him a difficult question. “My colt, did you see the answers in the book?”

Cadfael shook his head, and replyed. “No Mama.”

Mama Thimble had almost expected to hear a rattling as the colt shook his head, but now wrote down several more problems. Then she hooved the board to Cadfael. "Do these as quickly as you can son."

He looked at the board, and with almost the same speed he wrote the answers down.

He hooved it back to her, and just smiled at her.

She then checked the answers. Most of which she did not know, she just wrote down numbers, but now she had to check the results.

Thimble was amazed they were all correct.

Mama Thimble looked at her two children, and then stood up. her voice sound almost chipper as she spoke. “Let us clean up, we are going to the library.”

It only took a few minutes to get ready. and the weather was pleasant for the walk into town .

Once they arrived Thimble pulled a wash cloth seemingly out of nowhere, and wiped the faces of her two foals. She then pointed a hoof at her daughter, and then she knocked on the door of the library. Mama now turned to her foals, and pointed a hoof at them. “Remember to bow politely, because the librarian was Princess Twilight, and I will not have my foals spoken of that they could not be polite around the Princess."

After one more wordless warning to Mountain Rose they entered. There was no pony in view, but a soft humming told them somepony was about. a few moments later they spotted a purple alicorn on a ladder shelving books.

The Librarian looked down from where she was and smiled. “Hello, my assistant had to take some time off, and I have to re-shelf returns.” She flew down to the ground, and she asked. "How can I help you?”

It was then the Princess saw that all three ponies were bowing.

Princess Twilight was now beginning to get a slight frown. “No, the sign outside says no bowing during library hours.” She then took a breath. “But what can I do for you?”

Thimble spoke up. “I think my colt needs a more difficult book than I checked out.”

Twilight thought for a minute, and then spoke up. “No, that's the right book for his age, and I was wondering because he only started lessons last spring.”

Cadfael smiled, and added a comment. “I had a really nice teacher.”

“Oh!” Smiled Princess Twilight now wanting to know who was his teacher. “What was their name?”

Cadfael stood tall. “Ms Vellum.” He seemed to have a lot pride behind his answer.

Twilight was a little confounded, her response was not what he was expecting. “Her; Your kidding me?”

She quickly caught herself before she said any more. she focused on the colt. “Can I see Cadfael's work.”

She looked at the answers on the slate, and she thought to herself. “Nice hoof writing!”

Princess Twilight then took up a piece of paper, and a marker. She then wrote out twenty questions, with twice the numbers of the old test.

The Princess directed him to one of the desks in the library, and sat him down, and then she hoofed him the test she had just written out. “Here, you do the best you can. your Mother and I will have a cup tea. Bring it right over when your done.”

The two mares and the filly went to the kitchen. She placed the kettle on the stove, and set out the cups, she looked to see what sort of cookies she had in the pantry, when she heard a pony move behind her, and turning around Twilight saw Cadfael standing right behind her.

The Princess smiled at the colt. “Oh you having problems, I'm not surprised.”

She took paper and looked that it. “All the problems were done, and they were again correct.

Princess Twilight was a little perplexed at this time. “Cadfael did you know the answers before the test?”

He got a little frown on his face. But said nothing bad towards the princess. “No, I just saw there were more numbers stacked on top of one another.”

Twilight didn’t appear to be upset, just surprised. “Wow!

Now Cadfael saw the eyes of both adults on him, and he took a step backwards. “I'm I in trouble?”

Twilight now stepped forward, and placed a wing around the colt then smiled. “No, just the opposite, your a natural.”

She pulled out a quill and paper, And after pausing a moment quickly wrote a letter. She cast a spell on the candle, and lit the paper on fire.

She turned and finished making the tea and even offered CadfaeL a cup.

Thimble had not heard or seen her daughter so she headed out to prevent the library from burning down.

After tea a letter appeared out of the candle which consumed itself at that point.

She lifted the letter and read it.

'Dear Twilight

The young pony in question is Cadfael. He came to my sisters and my attention shortly after Winter Round Up. He is the one the Apple wanted to raised as a earth pony, and you yourself also supported said idea.

I felt he maybe a pony that surprises us all someday.

I will be sending a tutor to assist him before he starts school this fall. In fact she is looking forward to seeing him again.'

Princess Twilight now looked at the little pony with the bald face. She smiled at him and then at her Mother, and again all she had to say was. “Wow!”

She went and got several books off of the shelves, I would like him to read these book over the next two weeks, and then send him back to me.

Thimble looked at the thick books. “When should he be done?”

Princess Twilight spoke in a calm voice. "Tell him to take his time, Celestia said she would send a tutor to help him."

They were getting ready to leave then Cadfael smiled at Princess Twilight. “Maybe if were lucky Ms Vellum will come out.”

Twilight just grinned, and commented back. “Oh yes, if were lucky!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks had passed on Dayton’s and Thimble’s farm. and for the most part Cadfael had filed what had happened as old history, and while he had figured out addition and subtraction, after the book, he had a knowledge of multiplication and fractions.

A loud knock at the farm door while the family was eating lunch caused a bit of a start, and upon checking they found a Royal Guard by the name of Tall Shield that was in the service of Princess Twilight.

Tall Shield was one of Princess Twilights body guards. And he had come out to get Cadfael.

Thimble asked “Is he was going to the library?”

The Guard nodded and replied “Yes Ma'am.” The Royal Guard pause, and then looked and pointed towards Cadfael. “A special guest has come to see you.”

Thimble told her colt. “You may go, but tell them you still have chores to do.”

Cadfael was all smiles. “Yes Mama.” And giving her a kiss, and he then trotted to the Royal Guard, but waved before he left his parents sight.

Now the colt had to comment, because here was walking with one of highest of the EUP, a royal Bodyguard.and so Cadfael now spoke out, and his voice cracking a little. “I'm going to be a Royal guard when I get older.”

The Royal Guard just looked down at the colt, and then smiled at him, but he gave comment after a moment. “Good luck colt, it can be a hard trek any pony, but just pay attention, and do what your told.”

Cadfael saw that Bodyguard didn't wear any rank on his uniform, and was not required to salute while on duty. “Thank you Sir.”

The Royal Guard walked directly to the library. After arriving, he opened the door for Cadfael.

Upon entering the Library Cadfael turned to see Ms Vellum. and she appeared to be all smiles.

Cadfael then ran up to her, and Ms Vellum spoke gently to the young colt. “Hello my dear, are you doing OK?”

“Yes ma'am”

Ms Vellum walk to the sofa and took a seat. “Have a seat by me please.” She then poured tea for the colt, and offered him a plate of cookies.

They talked back and forth about the weather and ones health. But finally Ms Vellum excused herself Then stood and walked to the kitchen.

Twilight, came closer to Cadfael.

Cadfael got back on the floor, and bowed to Princess Twilight. she then motioned for him to retake his seat. Again he sat on the couch, and then slid over a little, to give the Princess more room.

Twilight had seen how Vellum had behaved towards him and she spoke. “Ok, I just have to ask, how did you do it.”

Cadfael looked confused, and raised an eye brow before speaking. “Do what your highness?”

Princess Twilight rolled her eyes. “Just what did you do to get the Dragon to like you?”

Cadfael's face was a gasped. “You should never talk about ponies when their not around, it's not polite.”

Twilight was caught doing something very Non-Princess like. “Sorry, just curious, she gave me a really hard time in school.”

a few minutes later Ms Vellum returned. And the topic changed.

Ms Vellum pulled out a brief case. “I have written up several tests, would you mind trying to do the problems?”

Cadfael sat down and tried. Although he had never seen these symbols before, or numbers in brackets.

Ms. Vellum watched the colt examine the paper. She then looked at the paper, and then asked. “Why don't you do the problems?

Cadfael rubbed the marker against his temple leaving a small spot. “I've never seen problems like these before?” He placed the paper on the table before him. “Would you please explain them to me?”

Ms Vellum, and Cadfael then moved to a small desk, and read a chapter in a mathematics book. after the reading, and a short work with the practice problems on the example page Ms Vellum then told him to do the problems as best he could.

She wrote twenty problems on a sheet of paper, and gave Cadfael a sheet of scrap paper to work the problems out.

she told him she would be in the kitchen talking to the Princess, and he should let her know when he was done.

Cadfael sat, and after a slow start he began trying to solve the problems he was given. So thirty-five minutes he got up from his seat and walked over to give the sheet over to Ms. Vellum.

She took it from the colt. and after looking it over smiled as she hooved it to Princess Twilight.

The Princess looked over the paper as well and also smiled.

The Princess in a surprised voice commented. “Cadfael you got them all correct.” But then she lost the excited tone. “Now I have to ask, did you cheat?”

Cadfael's face took on the frown expression. “I am cousin to the element of Honesty, I would never cheat!”

He said this in an almost defiant tone. It was something Twilight had not heard before from this young pony before. and she raised her hoof.

“You may go outside for a break, but be back in a few minutes. Cadfael now bowed to Twilight, and gave a hug to Ms Vellum before heading outside.

Ms Vellum spoke. "with only a few weeks of schooling, and he rates at much higher than most his age, well at least in mathematics, he's a prodigy, we have a genius, he must be cultivated and nurchered."

Twilight glaced at the paper. and returned her smile before commenting. “I think we have a little Star Swirl.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cadfael walked across the road and was headed towards Sugar Cube corner. But he felt like somepony was watching him. He turned his head to see a little filly come up to him.

She had a silver gray coat, and a white mane which was neatly braded. She seemed friendly. “Well at least she was smiling.” thought Cadfael.

She seemed nervous, but she spoke. “Are you new around here?”

Cadfael noted that Now she was blushing. He also thought she was sort of cute, but he thought he best keep that to himself.

He cleared his throat. “Hello, I'm Cadfael." Now Cadfael caught the scent of lilacs from the little filly.

She batted her eyes much like Ms Rarity. “That's an interesting name, where are you from?"

Cadfael smiled. “Well most think I'm from the western lands Of Equestria.” He was now watching the filly shift back and forth on her hoofs. “They tell me my coat is like the ponies from there.” She continued to shift back and forth, and he was beginning to think that maybe she had to go to the bathroom.

She took off her glasses. and held them in one hoof, and she then continued the conversation.

She bit her bottom lips just slightly. “I'm Silver Spoon, if you...”

She didn't get to finish because a harsh voice cut in. “Silver don't talk to him he's a no pony.”

Cadfael was taken back. “That filly had a sharp tongue!” He was about give her the standard sticks and stones may break my bones, but she could have a few stones on her, and best not to chance it.

The filly in question now stamped the ground with her hoof. “Oh just hurry, I'm going to Sugar Cube Corner." She turned towards the door of the shop where she was head. “With, or without you!”

The Gray filly now placed her glasses back on. “I have to go...”

Cadfael had to ask. “Do you really need those glasses?”

She seemed to lose the ability to look directly at him. “Not really.”

Cadfael spoke directly to her. “Then you shouldn't wear them. You can't really see your beautiful eyes.”

Silver Spoon turned to follow her friend into Sugar Cube corner, but Cadfael gave her a parting comment. “Because your eyes are the same color as Princess Celestia’s.

The little filly lost her hoofing for a moment, but Cadfael rushed up and caught her before she fell.

Cadfael looked at her, and she had an odd look on her face. “Are you OK.” He asked.

She put a hoof to his cheek. “I am now!“ She was now walking to the building her friend had gone into. but now kept turning and waving bye to Cadfael. Although just before she went into the building she blew him a kiss.

Cadfael made sure to duck. She could have spit at him. “These fillys here are a crazy lot.”

He turned for a moment and was going to walk away, but somepony quickly moved behind him, and they hugged him. By the lilac smell he could tell it was Silver Spoon. She had moved behind and was running her muzzle into his mane. She made almost a purring noise.

The next thing he knew a scream could be heard from Sugar cube corner, and the screams of Mrs. Cake.

Silver Spoon had let Cadfael go, and she began to calling out a name. “Diamond Tiara.”

Cadfael ran towards the closest alleyway, and while running he called upon the thunder. "SHAZAM!"

Captain Stallion flew into the air, circling from an angle that would have had him coming from the Everfree and diving through the smoke and fire, and into the back kitchen door of Sugar-cube corner.

The Captain didn't see anypony in the kitchen area, and he could hear Mrs. Cake yelling from outside the shop.

He flew up the stairs and heard the cry's of two small foals, he entered the door, and picked up the two foals, and the Pink mare that had been in the room with them. It only took a second to fly them out the window and place them on the ground, and then it was back inside to find the source of the fire.

He went directly to the kitchen, and saw the problem. A fire was both on top, and all around the stove. The Captain quickly moved up to the stove, and placing a hoof under it , he lifted, and turned off the gas, he then broke the small flexible line to be able to remove the burning kitchen appliance. He then lifted the stove, and several other flammable object and moved them outside as quickly as he could. The tatted cloak he wore had caught fire on the edges, and while he tried to be careful with the door the whole door frame had now been damaged, and the Captain knew this was coming out of his own pocket.

Once outside, and away from everything the Captain placed the stove down in the middle of the street so the fire department could easily put out the fire, and then stepped aside as the fire department quickly moved inside the building putting out the fire there as well.

The bakery had been very lucky, the fire had caused damage, but then there was the smoke as well. Although the state of the doorway that the Captain had destroyed caused him to wince.

The Captain stood there feeling like he should have done more, but he didn't know what else he could have done.

It was then a camera flash had gone off, and a reporter from the local newspaper quickly took another, but those weren't the only ones. They reporter caught a good picture of him being kissed on the cheek by Mrs. Cake, and one him holding the family in a hug as well.

The CMC was present, but Sweetie Belle appeared to be hiding.

The Captain now went to check on her. “Hey Sweetie what's wrong are you hurt?”

She was becoming very tearful. She and then she began crying. “It's my fault, I put the can of oil on the stove.” She took a moment to wipe her face. “I tried to move it but it was hot, and I spilled it and.”

She hid her face in his chest. “I'm so sorry!”

The Captain comforted Sweetie Belle as best he could. He then looked at Mr. and Mrs. Cake and spoke. “I'll pay for the damages.”

He turned to Sweetie and looked into her eyes, and smiled at her. “I'm going to get some monies for the damages.” He patted her head. “You don't worry about a thing.” He sat up and looked towards the other two fillies. “In fact why doesn't the CMC come with me...”

The Captain allowed AppleBloom and Scootaloo to ride on his back. but he carried Sweetie Belle in his hoofs.

The flight only took a few minutes, and the Captain zoomed back and forth over the forest canopy making it to confusing for them to have back tracked to the cave.

Over the last few weeks the Captain had found small treasure across Equestria, from Dragon hoards , sunken treasure chests, and lost treasures of the Everfree. He had brought them to a place he could reach, and would be difficult at best for others.

He landed outside the cave, but before he took them in the cave the Captain paused. "What your about to see, you can't tell anypony, this treasure belongs to the ponies of Equestria. and I use it to fix things I break while helping ponies." The three fillies. nodded, and made the Pinky Promise, and finally the Captain allowed them inside.

The three fillies made a loud whistle as they passed an assortment of broken ancient objects, piles of coins, and other treasures. The Captain hoofed them a small chest. “You fillies figure out what you think the Cake's will need.”

The CMC quickly loaded the chest, and commented on the cave.

They were all soon flying back ponyville, and the monies were hoofed over to the Cakes by Sweetie Belle.

The Captain turned back to Sweetie Belle, and he knelt down and putting a hoof under her chin lifter her head tp look her in the eyes. “Don't worry, accidents happen to everypony, even me.”

He then patted the top of her head, and Sweetie Belle gave gave him a smile.

The Captain waved at everypony, and then leaped up, and sped away headed towards the Everfree forest as a crack of thunder filled the air.

A few seconds later Cadfael came out from behind the pump wagon of the fire department.

He just swallowed a bite of an apple “Hey I heard the Captain was here.”

“You missed him.” Silver swooned, and then looked at Cadfael, and screamed loud enough to wake all of Ponyville.

Silver’s comment was now heard by all there. “Cadfael you look like Captain Stallion!”

He jumped back, and all at once a number of colts and fillies surrounded him.

Cadfael had actually been ready for this. “Hey if I was Captain Stallion would I have this.” Cadfael raised his leg and showed a bandaged. after that the excitement died down quickly.

But Cadfael also knew he had to get the fillies on a different track, and calling the CMC over. “Hey Girls you know what I'm thinking.” now finishing his last bite of the Apple.

As if on cue all four yelled out. “Cutey mark crusaders superheroes...”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rarity and Applejack met for lunch a few days later. The Cakes were living in the local hotel, They had placed tables and chairs outside for a flare of Prance.

Applejack was a bit upset at Apple Bloom going off with a stranger. Even if it was Captain Stallion.

Rarity on the other hoof, was delighted that he had showed up when he did. And that he had paid for the damages caused by the CMC instead of her, and Applejack.

Applejack looked at the picture of the captain in the newspaper. “You know if I didn't know better I would swear that was the dogs blanket from our farm.”

Rarity now commented. “For being so dashing a hero, he needs a costume.” All at once her eyes lit up. she began making notes.

“Applejack Dear. Could I ask a favor of you please.”

Applejack looked up., she had heard that tone when Rarity got one of her ideas. “Yes, what do you want?”

She smiled and batted her eyes. “I want to go to the Crystal Empire to ask a favor of Princess Cadence.”

“What do you want to go up there for?“

“I want to learn how The Ponies there can spin Gems into cloth.”

Applejack gave Rarity a little eye brow. “Why, would you want to know that?”

“I have my reasons.” Her thoughts were wondering if she could learn the secrets of they Crystal ponies.

“Well it sounds like something you would add to your fashions.” She took a sip of her drink. “Sure I'll watch Sweetie Belle for you.”

Rarity went to the other side of the table, and gave Applejack a hug, and nuzzle. “Thank you my dear, I'll be back in a week.”

A tall Stallion now came across the street. He had been sent down to Ponyville what word was out that Captain Stallion had been in the area.

He was asking questions of the locals. He saw a mare with a hat on from behind, and he thought. “One more, and I'm heading back.”

“Excuse me Ms. but I was looking for anypony that may have seen...”

He stopped talking it was her, the mare that sold him the pie at the Gale, it was her.

“Yes, you wanted something mister?”

He came around, And he sat in the seat that Rarity had just gotten up from.

He just stared at her.

Applejack now taking another sip from her cup, but looked up at the Stallion with one eye. “Are you OK mister?”

He was looking at her, and after lifting his mask from his flight suit. “Yes, but only if...“

Applejack grinned, and gave a little sigh. “Oh here it. Comes.” And now thinking to herself. “Another stallion, wanting to show her his stuff. Not one of them interested in what she was liked.”

“Only what?”

The stallion swallowed. And then spoke. “Would you please bake me a pie, I'm am so in love with your apple pie from the Gala”

She looked at him for a moment. “Really, that's what you want?”

A goofy grin spread across his face, and his blush could planely be seen. “Well that and now that I've seen you out of that fancy dress. I would like to ask if I could call on you some time?”

She just looked at him for a moment, and then she gave him a little laugh. “Mister that is the most original line I have ever heard.” She placed her glass down, and dropped a few coins on the plate. “Lets go!"