• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 1,805 Views, 7 Comments

Hope Trots Alone - Crowquill Symphony



Crossover between The Protomen's rock opera and My little pony.

  • ...
 7
 1,805

Chapter 2: Unrest in the house of Celestia

Hope Trots Alone

A crossover fan fiction by Crowquill Symphony

Notice:

Same as before. Based on the Rock opera. I’ll stop now.

Chapter 2: Unrest in the house of Celestia

Twilight Sparkle looked out the window of the run down building twenty stories above the city. She gazed down on the ponies in the street, the robots patrolling the alleys and the sky, and finally the tall cross in the distance. Made from a pair of steel girders welded together and propped up in the midst of a barren plot that had once been a park, the park stood as a memorial and grave for the one who had come before her, the hero of all ponykind, the Great and Powerful Trixie.

Or, as Twilight knew her, her older sister. Her mother, Celestia, rarely talked about her; she had only had her for a day, before she died.

No. Before she was murdered. When Twilight was young, still learning the ways of the world, her mother would tell her of Trixie fighting for the ponies of the city, fighting for justice and freedom, and how she died at the hooves of the Shadowbots and Nightmare Moon’s robot army. And now, Twilight thought, I can avenge her. Her horn glowed as magic wrapped around a large box beneath her bed. She set it on her small workbench, nowhere near as good as her mother’s, but good enough for what she needed.

The lock on the box clicked, and Twilight opened it, gazing at her creation. Twin Gatling guns, attached to a simple harness. Though she couldn’t interface the guns with her system, she -had rigged up a simple gem system so she could fire them without excessive work, just a small touch of magic. She levitated the guns, and shook them suddenly in a bucking motion. The barrels extended outwards with a loud snap, and a single large barrel extended. The Power Shot. A special weapon of her own design, the cannons would fire large shells propelled by the normal powder and concentrated magic, resulting in what she hoped would be an armor piercing shell powerful enough to destroy a column of robots.

Twilight jumped as she heard the front door opening, and she slammed the weapon into the case and tried to close it. It didn’t fit. She panicked, fumbling to get it into a position where she could close it as Celestia came closer. She finally closed the case as her mother opened the door. Twilight turned, trying to calm down. “Oh! Uh, hey Mom, uh, you’re back early!” She chuckled slightly. If she could sweat, she would have been sweating buckets.

Celestia trotted over to her robotic daughter. “I decided to stretch my wings a bit.” She flexed her wings, and leaned in close to nuzzle Twilight. “How are you, my favorite little robot?”

“Oh, Fine, y’know? Heh heh...”

Celestia stood up, smiling at Twilight. The alicorn had begun to show the signs of age and stress, her mane starting to dull, and her coat loosing some of it’s luster, and yet she seemed as regal as she had when Twilight first met her.

“Twilight, are you hiding something?” The purple mare struggled to retain some semblance of calmness. Unconsciously, her eyes darted in the direction of the box resting unlocked on the workbench. Celestia smiled. “You’ve never been good at hiding things. I did raise you to be fairly honest.” She chuckled as she opened the box.

Celestia’s smile died the second she saw the polished steel of the guns. She stared in horror at the weapons, before turning to Twilight. She wasn’t mad, but wore a face of sadness, disappointment. “Twilight...”

“I want to help!”

“Twilight.”

“They killed Trixie!”

“Twilight Sparkle!” Celestia’s voice boomed, and Twilight curled up slightly. The white mare stopped, clenching her teeth. Finally, she shut the box, levitating it with her as she went to her workbench. Twilight was silent, still shocked by her mother’s outburst. Celestia returned, and sat near down in the room. “Twilight, my dear daughter...”

“Is it so wrong that I want to help?”

Silence. Finally, Celestia spoke, her gaze distant. “I’ve told you this many times. I haven’t lied about anything in this story. I made another before you. She was a hero, your sister, my daughter. She fought against Nightmare Moon and her armies, and they won. She fought bravely, and, in the end, died bravely. But she had been forsaken by the very ponies she fought for. In the end, her death had no meaning. She died in vain. I’ve heard the whispers in the street, and I know you’ve heard them as well. I know you may not understand, but these people cannot be saved by one mare. I had been wrong. Everything I entrusted to her is on me know. When she died, I was the only one who cared.” She turned to Twilight, on the verge of tears. “You are not her. This fight isn’t yours.”

She paused again, regaining her composure. “That’s it. The story has ended. There isn’t anything else we can do. And I won’t lose another daughter. If you left, you’d be fighting for ponies who refuse to open their eyes.” She stared into Twilight’s eyes. “You are not to leave. Not for a little while. Consider yourself grounded. I won’t let my only living daughter fight an impossible battle.”

She stood and trotted away slowly. Twilight waited, until she heard her the door to her mother’s room close. She stood up, and opened her closet, pulling out another box. She opened it, pulling out another pair of guns, slightly cruder looking, the harness held together by crude ropes and cloth. Twilight had set her mind on saving the city, and had prepared for the possibility of her mother finding the hoof-crafted weapons.

She pulled it on, tightening the straps and then concealing the assembly beneath one of her mother’s cloaks. She turned to the window once more, gazing out. Twenty stories above the city, she had watched things turn to ruin. From all the stories she had heard, she didn’t believe there was a way to change the ponies mind about fighting back. But if the alternative was to simply give up and accept that they were conquered, then Twilight was more than willing to fight.

She slowly opened the window, and wrapped herself in magic. She floated down, falling fast, but at a manageable speed. She would beg forgiveness later. For now, there was someplace she needed to go, something she needed to see. She touched down softly, her metal hooves clinking gently on the ground below. She trotted through the streets of the city, taking note of the ponies on the street. They stood and sat with their gazes down, beaten and broken, clad in dirty rags. Robots wandered in patrols, and the ponies would run and hide, no matter how weak the robot. Twilight could see how her mother wouldn’t have much faith in them, but she wasn’t willing to leave them to suffer.

She arrived at her destination and gazed across the bed of dry dirt and stone that had once been a park full of life. In the middle was a simple cross of steel atop a carved stone. From a distance, she could see a strange red smear across the front of the marker. She trotted closer, making out a simple sentence;

Hope Trots Alone.

That was it. Hope trots alone. Twilight stared at the graffiti scrawled across her sisters grave. She began to cry, surprising herself slightly at her emotional capability. She read it again and again, engraving the words into her mind. Her sister had fought and died alone. Her battle was unfinished.

“HALT. THIS IS A RESTRICTED AREA. PLEASE LEAVE OR WE WILL BE FORCED TO-”

Twilight roared as she mowed down the patrolling bots. She turned around, locking her eyes on the tower in the distance. Nightmare Moon’s fortress, the site of her sister’s last stand. Where the battle for ponykind had begun. Where Twilight would end it. She charged, full gallop, as ponies began to emerge from their homes and stores to watch. Twilight spoke through gritted teeth, “As I live, there is no evil that will stand,” Her guns screamed and spat lead, gutting another patrol of robots. “And I will finish what was started by my sister...”

More robots fell under a hail of bullets. Twilight stood atop their wreckage, at the gates to Nightmare’s fortress. She bucked forward, and the barrels of the guns clicked back, revealing the cannons beneath. She screamed as her shells ripped apart the gate.

“The fight for all Ponykind!”