• Published 26th Oct 2017
  • 956 Views, 4 Comments

Portrait of A Warpony - KinkHorse



After the defeat of the Storm King, Tempest Shadow is left shattered - but with a single friend. Can she find a place in Equestria to call home? Can she live up to the Hero and Legend that she became through her bravery?

  • ...
1
 4
 956

Leap of Faith

I am not reformed.

The thought was simple. Tempest watched as her body careened across the threshold between life and death, the first pony that had ever considered her a friend behind her - the evil creature she had thrown so much trust to in front of her. Oh, glorious it was to make that final leap - to do something that very few ponies could do, but for her it felt almost too easy.

Pain purifies the soul. At least it does for some. For tempest it always had, there was simply something about it, the feeling, the emotions, how it out the sudden clarity when the adrenalin surged. She watched in Wonder and in awe as the spell reflected off her armor, spreading to the storm king she stood above. Oh it was even better to see this, this little magical device, guaranteed not her death alone, but his as well. It was a nasty little spell, self contained, it ripped flesh into crystal, easily made and easily broken, but not for those it overtook. Oh, the only small - itty bitty little problem is the victim - at the slightest impact would be shattered forever.


Perhaps. She thought. Perhaps that was not really that much of a disadvantage after all...


As the crystal started to spread from her to the Storm King, the Creature she let her mind wander towards despair and hatred. She had done so much for him, fierce loyalty and service, and yet from that he had only seen her as a tool. She was not even a servant, but merely a tool disposable replaceable and only useful for a time. She reflected in sorrow, how much precious time had been wasted on this worthless excuse, the ape StormKing who failed to recognize her own talent, his acts that appeared to acknowledge it were merely an act. To have him throw this all in her face in their moment of triumph, the moment of triumph that he would not have had without her, it was beyond insulting!

Oh she was so glad to have this little slice of revenge. As her vision started to get clouded by crystals, she wondered how might the Purple Pony... Twilight... her one and only friend would remember her. It began to sink in, that this was witnessed by the other five, not just the purple one, and untold numbers of ponies down below, gazing in wonder at the epic battle happening over their heads. It began to worry her. The word ‘Hero’ floated in the mist, a word she began to fear and dread. Heroes were good ponies, she was no good pony, she was Tempest Shadow, the Storm King’s right hand mare. The opinion of the rest of Equestria was not relevant, she would not be there to think on it anyway, but... Twilight and her friends... it gave her more than pause. Not that it was the time to change such things.

It was no heroism to her though, it was merely that Twilight proved to her she was the rightful ruler of Equestria, her and the princesses perhaps. Whichever one deserved the most, Tempest did not care to argue, it was simply that virtue shown against such odds and such great adversary, it proved what they were made of. It was then, that Tempest changed who she was loyal to. That is why she jumped, it was not Heroism, it was simply the same order she would expect the Storm King to give, the very same order - she simply took it, projected it onto her pony friends, and let is be as it was. It was not heroism, but...

Something told her they would not see it that way.

To her, Twilight and her friends were the real heroes. Flawed, perhaps, but heroes can be flawed. Nopony could be perfect, anyway. They were strongly bonded - they respected each other, there were failings but they set out on a journey and then - they succeeded against all odds because they had each other and could leverage their skills to the benefit of the whole unit. They showed daring bravery, wit, intellect, and guts. To see Twilight bare herself against the Storm King who even wielded her own magic, incredible, to see how Generosity, Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Loyalty were weapons more powerful than anything made of wood and steel - it showed just how powerful those ponies were, and just how fit they were to lead. Yet, she knew something else - she could sense it, without needing much evidence, they did not want to lead to lead. They wanted to lead because they felt a purpose to do it, a sense of duty and service to their land, a sense of pride in doing so. The Storm King was merely an overgrown foal, he desired nor had such things, he would sit upon a golden throne while Equestria toiled to serve him - and all for not.

In the Blackness she found peace, it was it did not matter what Equestria would think of her, be it hero or villain, be it savior or tyrant, be it merely good or bad. It was their choice anyways, not her’s, and it was not like it mattered much did it. Sadly, she had never gotten to show Equestria what she could really do, only that she could be used as a tool of terror and horror, but only one that did the Storm King’s bidding. It was not much of a legacy to leave. At least, some ponies knew she had done something, Twilight was enough. She stopped fighting the feeling of darkness that overcame her, as the crystals began to cloud her eyes, as the feeling of crystalizing started to sink into her leg bones, it would be over more than soon enough. Her body became cuddled by the cold embrace, the ground was coming up quickly now, but even so: she knew that by the time it would come she would be too far gone to know it. Strictly speaking, it was better than the alternative.

Then, she felt warmth. She felt her thoughts enduring. She felt a strange tingle of magic on her flesh, her thoughts continued, and continued. This gave her pause, as she swam in the blackness, surely, surely there should not have been this much time to think before becoming dashed into a hundred shards, and yet... it just kept on. When would the ground come? When would the ground come? The warmth grew stronger, and it came with the feeling of a gentle breeze fluttering against some fur on her forelegs, and the pressure of the ground on her hooves.

This was hard to comprehend, there was no afterlife: not one she believed in, and surely it was no place for a pony like her, even if there was one. She contemplated, and then it came to her, the realization, of what had happened, though she did not want to believe it, it had to be so, it was the only logical explanation. Sound began to tickle her ears, and then, all of a sudden her body was freed from the cling of crystals, she stumbled forward her eyes flying open, and there was Twilight gazing back at her. The purple one looked at her with as much wonder as she stared in return, and then she took a moment to simply admire the surrounds. The smashed castle, the Storm King destroyed on the marble flagstones far below, the silence of a stunned world. The words “That is what friends do” echoed in her head as she admired.

Coming out of the crystal was like rebirth: to have one's entire structure down to the atomic level jumbled like a jigsaw puzzle only to be realigned. It was rejuvenating to her, though she conceded to herself that most ponies she would likely only find it painful and intimidating as an experience. It would probably not be a profitable sort of spa treatment anytime soon. Oh, but for her, it was like having the piercing stab from the sword of time wiped away for a while, to be forged anew and brought to the world feeling freshened and purified. All of the nuances and details she cared not for, understanding them, but she felt different. She gazed back to her friends, and gave them a smile, but Tempest would not smile like that, no, she would not smile like that at all.

To her, it was almost disappointing to watch how quickly the ponies of Equestria managed to fix the mess they stood in. Hours? Was it even hours? It was as if everything was cleaned up in an instant, back on schedule, and everypony joined the party instantly. She stayed for a moment to watch, from the very very back, hoping to stay to merely observe without being noticed, or fawned upon. Thankfully, the music helped. Unfortunately, Twilight just had to but in. A sigh was earned, but the music sparked an idea. From the secluded place, next to her friend, she found confidence to try her horn for something not violent. Oh, the effect was marvelous, a display of exploding light and sound that chained across the sky from one burst to the next.

It was lovely to watch her own magic being used for something so oddly harmless. Oh, it was a testament to her power as a unicorn, and yet she still felt a pang of sorrow in seeing it. Magic in Equestria was wasted on parties so, it was like the ponies were blissfully unaware of the crushing poverty beyond their borders. She was sure most of them, in fact almost all, were entirely unaware of it. Even so, this was not a thing that...

“Tempest!” She heard the high pitched pink one cry out. “That was amazing!” She squinted and glared in that direction, Pinkie Pie, that was her name. Pinkie Pie. Without thinking it, she let her next words just slip out, using a name for herself that she had not used in many years, letting for the first time, the mask of Tempest Shadow fall. There was a pang of fear - followed by the cringeworthy squealing, well: it did make her cringe. She felt no joy in revealing it, Pinkie Pie was the last pony in the world she should have revealed it to in direct line of sight of, and for a moment there she floated between fight and flight.

Yet there was no joy in staying Tempest Shadow either. It was not her name, it was just a mask to hide the facets of her that were injured, but hiding such things only made her vulnerable. Weak, weak in a different way, easily led down self-destructive paths, easily abused, easily manipulated. So alone was she as Tempest, that she even considered Grubber to be a friend, and if any creature in the world she knew was more annoying and offensive to her than Pinkie Pie, it would have to be Grubber.

The party dragged on, and she distanced herself further and further as Songbird Seranade began to really attract the attention of the ponies. The plan was working oddly perfectly, to make good on her escape. To pretend that she had no intention to leave, and then to leave anyway. It was almost good enough, that when nopony was watching, when not even Twilight’s eyes or suspicions seemed to be set on her, that she simply turned tail and trotted off, armor softly clinking as she took those steps out. Alone was the way she was meant to be, as Tempest or as Fizzlepop, it made little difference. Equestria still did not feel like home. The Celebration was for Twilight and Celestia’s ponies: not for her, she was not right to take part in it anyway, she rationalized as the town’s gate was approached - and all too easily passed.

Heading for nowhere in particular was the easiest direction to go. Four hooves and nothing to carry but her armor, her strength and her oddly useful magic by her side. It would be enough. The world opened up to her beyond the city walls - and out she trotted - admiring the glow of Evening as it painted purple hues across the night sky. Then, her ears twitched, and swiveled to behind her. A sound, the thud of hooves landing on the ground behind her,
the piercing call of a familiar voice. The hairs on her neck stood on end in realization before she even managed to process the words that came.

“Wait!” Twilight cried out. Fizzlepop halted and spun about. She stiffened her neck and stood there, rigid and standing proud and tall. Twilight had the courtesy to come alone, she recognized that and admired it.

“I will wait. I owe you that much.” She replied, admiring and perhaps wondering how Twilight had noticed. It did not matter that much, but it was something to wonder. “To the pony I owe my life, I do owe you at least to hear what you need - but out with it, I don’t have all night.”

“Tempest, I saw you leaving, I don’t know - why?”

“Please call me Fizzlepop.” She answered. “Why? Because I do not feel welcome here. Is it so hard to understand? I suppose I should have said goodbye, but I knew you were going to ask me to stay, and I’m not much a pony for goodbyes. Is that all you wanted?”

Fizzlepop turned back to the way she was heading and took a tentative step, only to hear the flutter of wings, and to have Twilight land in front of her. Bold, the princess was. She replied to this bravery with a simple smile, though her eyes were still set on the woods beyond the Alicorn, her brain still rearing to head down that path.

“But - Fizzlepop, Equestria will forgive you! Equestria has forgiven you already! You’re a hero to us.” She argued. “You saved us. Why would you want to turn your back on us n-”

She raised her hoof up and slammed it into the ground, her armor clinking against the rocky soil as it put a small dent in the dry, dusty dirt. She narrowed her eyes to Twilight and took an offensive posture, glaring down at the other like she was ready to fight.

“I am NOT a hero! I am not a hero and I do not want to BE a hero!”

Twilight scooted back in fright. The angled, focused eyes, the sparking horn, the way her sparks of magic swirling around the broken horn reflected on that suit of armor, intimidating was a word, Fizzlepop Berrytwist was beyond intimidating and she knew it.

“I I don't understand. I thought you wanted to show Equestria what you could really do?!” Twilight argued and questioned.

“And I do, I'm just not sure I'm ready to be hero yet, and I know I am not one anyway - and I never deserve to be one.”


Fizzlepop relaxed her stance. Twilight blinked to her, she wanted to ask why, she could see that in those inquisitive eyes of the scientist, but knew she was too chickenshit to ask.

“If other ponies want to think that of me I can't really stop them can I? I could try but I can tell if any Ponies as stubborn you are it seems to me...” She sighed. “I do not like it. I’m not a hero. What equestria thinks, what you think, that is your decision but I - am - no - hero.”

“It's not a choice.” Twilight argued, smiling to her friend “Heroism is Equestria's decision and I'm pretty sure we both know what it will be in your case.”

Fizzlepop twisted her hoof against the ground and gritted her teeth. She took a deep breath, calming herself, and then let out a sigh. Twilight was right, she had no control of it, like it or not, Equestria was going to make the decision for her, and with enough witnesses of the act, it was likely impossible to stop a legend from spreading unless she went around killing the Citizenry as quickly as possible. This would be a most improbable goal.

“That only makes me want to leave more, you know.” She grunted.

“I know it does.” Twilight replied. “But I really do wish you would stay, I think a equestria needs a pony like you around.”

“I don't think it does.” Fizzlepop resigned, and then an idea came. She smirked, genuinely, and winked to Twilight. The princess did not understand at first. “I don't think I'm going to let that be my decision. Princess Twilight, if you think that Equestria needs me, then order me to stay: I have to imagine the doing your bidding is better than doing the Storm King’s.”

Fizzlepop stood there, letting her smile fade into a stoic gaze, staring at Twilight like a military pony would stare at their leader. In truth, Twilight to her deserved respect enough that perhaps being ordered by her would not be so bad, and after all: if the Princess was so desperate for her, perhaps she had reasons. Perhaps.

“Uh... I - I don’t order ponies around?” Twilight argued, blinking and gazing to Tempest. “That’s not really - the point of a princess? I don’t think it is - not anymore. We are servants to the public as much as we are...”

“That I have to leave. It really is that simple. I do best aligned to a pony who is a great leader - and no great leader is afraid to give orders.”

“Then why not Celestia?” Twilight asked.

“Because I defeated her, and the other ones as well. You are the only one I did not defeat, which makes you the only one I think is worth doing the bidding of.”

Twilight gritted her teeth and grunted. “Fine!” She barked. “I order you to stay. I order you to help me make Equestria better place, and I order you to never - ever - ever say that you're doing my bidding ever again.” She glared to Fizzlepop with an equal defiance and spread her wings out, and then after she was done, she took a momentary look at herself, a tick of introspection, and receded.

Fizzlepop caught it just in time. “Don’t you dare apologize. Don’t do it.” Twilight had opened her mouth, but Fizzle shook her head. The princess slowly closed it and gazed to the armored mare in wonder. Did she really like taking orders like that?

She grinned and gave a bow once Twilight was standing there silently. “I will do as you ask, Princess Twilight - but I must defy you for tonight - Enjoy your party, I will watch from here.”