• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 944 Views, 10 Comments

The Escape - Jimbo



Celestia orders Luna to marry a stallion she's never met; with Donut Joe's aid, Luna flees.

  • ...
2
 10
 944

Chapter 10

The hill seemed deceptively close, and deceptively flat; but as they climbed, they found themselves becoming more and more winded, each step seeming to drag the breath from their lungs. But still they soldiered on, heads low and breath coming in sharp, choked gasps. They walked for as long as they could, climbing the rocky, uneven soil, their hooves providing little traction in the mountainside. There were few plants here and there, only an occasional scrub-brush or tumbleweed, but for the most part it was a colorless, flat landscape in the moonlight. Luna’s stomach growled something fierce, wishing they hadn’t thrown all of the donuts at the Kelpie, wishing there was some kind of berry around to eat. Unfortunately, the only sign of life around them was the occasional whisper of a snake slipping out of a hole, or the skitter of a rodent darting from bush to bush.

When her good hind leg began to slide on the mountainside behind her, Joe ordered them to a halt, trying to find a less-rocky spot for them to rest. “Mare above, this is a tough hill.” Joe whuffed, shaking his head as he panted.

“We’ll make it up.” Luna said softly, similarly tired, but determined. She loosed a soft, tired sigh, and stared down at the tops of her hooves, scuffing them in the dust of the path. “Getting close.”

“I don’t know if ‘not even halfway’ is close.” Joe chuckled, flashing her a grin, shifting his weight on his hooves. “How’s yer leg feelin’?”

“Good. Let’s go.” Luna grunted, and dug her hooves into the earth, resuming her hike.

“You know, you can ride on my back, if it’s too tough on three.” he called up to her, shuffling into a trot, trying to keep up with her. “I can handle it.”

There was a moment of silence, the only sound that of Luna and Joe’s grunted efforts as they climbed. “I’m angry because this mountain is too steep!” Luna called back to him, a laugh in her voice, despite the frustration.

“I’m angry because I’m out of shape! If I ever go mountain climbing again, I am gonna practice on a smaller mountain!” he laughed back to her, giving an angry little grunt as he climbed.

“I’m angry because if my leg slips out from under me one more time, I’m going to hack it off and become a mer-pony!” Luna laughed, gritting her teeth as she dug her hooves deep into the soil, trying to find purchase.

“I’m angry because -”

“Princess Luna!”

Their playfully-angry tete-a-tete came to a sudden halt as a pair of pegasi suddenly appeared overhead, their pale bodies like comets in the night sky.

“We’ve found her! Thunderhoof, this way!”

“Luna - go!” Joe snarled, and broke into a sudden gallop, pushing Luna further up the hill. “We’re almost there! You have to fly!”

“But Joe -”

“GO!”

Luna struggled ahead, using her wings to help build up speed when her three legs weren’t strong enough. As she leapt into the air, cape fluttering behind her, she looked back to Joe. He remained on the ground, swiping his horn at the pair of pegasus guards, spewing vitriol whenever they tried to head back towards Luna. When insults alone didn’t work, he used his magic to lob rocks at them, striking against their armor.

“Joe!”

“Get yer royal butt movin, toots, or I’m gonna - nngh, take that - capture you myself!”

Luna dove towards the mountain range, obeying Joe’s command - but even as the banners of the Griffonlands came into sight, proudly proclaiming that she was within flying distance of the craggy, mountainous region, she turned back to see how Joe was faring with the Royal Guards.

In a word: Poorly.

Guards were accustomed to taking down unicorn assailants, and in order to follow Luna, it became clear that Joe was an obstacle that would need to be gotten rid of. Every time they advanced a few feet, Joe was hot on their heels, throwing rocks and insults, using his magic to drag them down when they tried to fly. And so, as Luna watched in horror, the guards dove for him, and after several sharp blows, Joe was on the ground.

Joe!

Time was a broken clock; it sped up and slowed down at seemingly random intervals. In one moment, she was still in the air. The next, she was on the ground. The guards were in her way, and then they were lying in the dirt. Joe was far away, then right next to her, so still and quiet.

“Joe, you can’t die, Joe, you have to be okay, you have to get up.” Luna whispered, pushing her face into his shoulder, hiccuping her words. “You can’t die, you can’t, I won’t let you. Joe, answer me!”

“Not dyin’, toots, but if you keep pushin’ yer face into my bruise like that, I might.” Joe grunted, trying to wriggle out from under her. “You were supposed to go. You ain’t very good at listening, are ya?”

His next cry was a louder one, responding to the sharp smack of Luna’s hoof on his side. “Don’t you ever dare scare me like that again.” she hissed, her voice venomous and low, even as she pressed her face into his coat.

“Yeah, yeah.” Joe rumbled, a tiny smile curling his lips. “By the way, ow.”

“Your Majesty...” the first guard said hesitantly, adjusting his helmet from where the princess had knocked it askew. “Your sister...”

Luna kept her face in Joe’s coat for a few moments longer, seeming to ignore the guard, but finally managed to pull herself away, nodding. “There is no need to fight. I surrender myself willingly.”

“Luna!”

Luna’s eyes darted to Joe’s, her own pair stormy and intense. “I must speak with my sister. I know that now.”

Joe stared at her for a moment, then gave a small, slight nod. “Okay. I’m comin’ too.”

“Your Majesty -”

“He’s coming too.” Luna interrupted sharply, directing her glare towards the guard.

“Yes, Your Majesty.” he murmured, dipping his head to her deferentially.

Luna eyed him for a moment, her eyes cold and regal. “My apologies for shoving you earlier. I hope you are both unharmed.”

The guard looked at his partner, then gave a small, tentative nod. “Yes, Your Majesty, we’re fine.”

“Good.” She scanned the horizon for a moment, silent and thoughtful. At length, she murmured, “We will need some sort of cart for Joe, unless you wish to walk home.”

“Of course, Majesty.” one of them murmured, and leapt into the air, flying away from the mountain range.

“I do not fancy facing the Kelpie a second time.” Luna murmured, her gaze dark and unfocused, unaware of the way the guard looked at Joe with a vague sort of panic. Her thoughts were elsewhere now, wondering how, precisely, she would face her sister.