• Published 3rd Sep 2017
  • 659 Views, 0 Comments

Then The Rain Started Falling . . . - WannaFlugelHorn



Everypony has plans for tonight. Everypony . . . exept Fluttershy.

  • ...
 0
 659

The Storm

"Everypony come inside," called Fluttershy, from just inside of her cottage. "The rain should start falling soon." Animals of all shapes and sizes filed into the shelter of Fluttershy's home. Frantically, Fluttershy cantered outside, grabbing as many birdhouses, as well as other things that could be damaged by the storm, as she could carry. Dark gray clouds loomed overhead, blocking out the last rays of remaining sunshine as the large glowing orb of light and heat slipped below the horizon. No doubt the moon would be raised soon, not that anypony would be able to see it. Fluttershy made it back to her porch just as the first droplets fell from the sky.

Fluttershy watched as the rain landed on the plants outside. The wind started pushing against them, and the green beings began to sway. The dots of water on their surfaces tumbled off in a glittery array. Fluttershy loved how her plants seemed to dance in the rain, but the weather picked up quickly, and Fluttershy's nerves got the best of her. She retreated inside to the comfort of her cottage.

Fluttershy glanced outside through her window. She could no longer hear the individual droplets, just the hum of the storm. Fluttershy quickly closed the curtain once again.

"Maybe I should call Pinkie Pie," Fluttershy said to her fuzzy friends, "In case . . . in case she's lonely." She fluttered over to a nearby phone, and dialed the Cakes' number. Pinkie Pie picked up quicker then expected. Fluttershy nearly dropped the phone in surprise, hooves fumbling over the device.

"Hi Pinkie Pie - - - Yes, it's me - - - Yah, I'm okay - - - Oh, I was just wondering if you wanted to come over to my cottage - - - Um, yes, right now - - - Oh, that's okay - - - yes, yes, it's fine - - - bye." Fluttershy sighed as she hung up the phone. She settled back down onto the floor, but after a moment, she sprung up into the air again, ready to make another call. As it turned out, Twilight was having a sleep over with Applejack and Rarity, her very first, actually. The purple Unicorn hadn't wanted to go out in such weather, either, and Fluttershy apologized for interupting. She then looked once again at all of the animals gathered in her living room. "I suppose Rainbow Dash won't want to come over either."

Soon, a strong wind joined the chaos outside, slapping rain against the cottage. The shutters tore free from their locks and began knocking against the walls. Fluttershy gulped.

"We should do a head count. To make sure everyone made it safely inside and-"

Suddenly, the warm light glowing inside the cottage ceased. Fluttershy shrieked, clutching her friend Harry, a large brown bear. But after her moment of panic, she realized nothing was horribly wrong.

"Oh, oh, it was just the light," Fluttershy giggled sheepishly.

She let go of her furry friend and flew over to the small group of fireflies in the corner. Fluttershy encouraged them to proceed, but they were too weak to continue.

"That's okay. I think I have some candles around here somewhere," Fluttershy said, looking around. She opened a closet to find three, blunt little candles and a couple matchsticks. Soon, the cottage was once again filled with light, but she watched nervously as she imagined the candles becoming shorter and shorter. Attempting to distract herself, she stared her count of the animals.

"Nine . . . ten . . . eleven? Only eleven bunnies! Who's missing," gasped Fluttershy. "Angel? Angel! Angel where are you?" Fluttershy frantically began searching her house for him, but he didn't appear to be anywhere. A large, white, bolt of lightning shot through the sky, and the ground shuttered in reply. Despite this, Fluttershy tore open the curtains. The windows were covered in rain, distorting the trees and bushes before her in a dream like manor. If only this were just a simple nightmare.

"Oh Angel, this is all my fault." Fluttershy's eyes started to burn with tears as she crumpled into a heap on the floor. She cried for the danger she had put her precious pet in, not noticing he was missing before this whole disaster could've been prevented, but also for the fact that she knew she would have to venture out into the storm to save him. She gasped for air in her sobbing fit, trying to pull herself together. After a bit, she dragged herself over to the door, like a doll being towed behind a filly. Her hooves shook as she took hold of the knob and twisted.

A strong wind stung her face, as silvery pins of rain seized her body with pain. Her hair whipped behind her, like a pink flag waving about. "I'll be back soon," she told her worried friends, trying to tell herself that this statement was, indeed, true. "Stay inside. I really mean it."

With that, she stepped out into the open, closing the door behind her. Leaves, branches and mud puddles scattered the ground. "Angel!" Fluttershy was yelling at the top of her lungs, but her voice barely broke a whisper through the rage of the storm. Fluttershy trembled with pain as another gust of wind blasted small twigs and leaves against her body. Shielding her eyes with her hoof, she scanned the ground for the soft, white bunny. He was nowhere insight, but Fluttershy hadn't expected him to be out in the open. She began searching around rocks and bushes.

By this time, Fluttershy was soaking wet. Her hair stuck to her face, and she could barely see, but she refused to give up her search. Then she spotted a small rosebush she hadn't checked yet. Peeling away leaves and branches, she found Angel. A small pool of blood lay around him. The wind had beaten the pore creature with the thorn covered branches that surrounded him. He was shivering in the cold, and fought for every breath. Fluttershy carefully picked him up and tenderly cradled him in her arms.

"I'm so sorry! I'm so, so sorry!" She wept before the small bunny. She had caused him so much pain. "We have to get you inside. You're going to be okay." She wasn't sure if she was trying to convince the limp animal in her arms, or herself. Angel's eyes weakly fluttered open before the animal's strenght was completely drained and his soft lids closed over them. Fluttershy wondered how long it would take him to wake up once again, and began cantering towards her cottage.

Just then, another bolt of lightning cut through the sky. She was surprised to see the bunny's eyes fly open instinctively in terror. Oblivious to what was going on, Angel sprung out of Fluttershy's arms and ran as fast as he could, mud kicking up behind him as he fled.

"Angel, no!"

Before Fluttershy could stop her weakened pet, he was out of sight. She knew she must follow him, but to where?

Fear struck her as she realized that Angel was heading towards the Everfree Forest.