• Published 30th Aug 2017
  • 2,232 Views, 24 Comments

Transformations and Nightmares - QueenLunaMoth



Twilight Sparkle has always been special she was Celestia's student, Lady of house Twilight, Her Brother a Guard and Father a Royal Astronomer and now with a threat looming she's about to become more then just a student

  • ...
0
 24
 2,232

2 Adulthood and Prophecies

The lessons that followed where of politics, diplomacy, other cultures, and races. She also was taught illusions, enchantment and more difficult and or potentially dangerous magics. Slowly as time moved on every new year a new magic school for her to study. Her mother having become newly famous with a series called Daring Doo once more seemed enamored with her daughter's life begging for details galore and often though unlike it had all those years ago the questions slowed but never stopped.

Her brother made the guard but also was rising in the ranks quickly. Though her father retired from the Astronomers guild as a scholar he had begun teaching younger ponies about the stars and often the tales that went with them all of which Twilight knew by heart.

And Spike, now adolescent, had begun to be taught with Twilight and cared by her more and more. Thus began his time as her 'assistant' the little dragon loved helping his 'mama' and she loved having him help. And just like his mother, he was a fast learner but he was also her little protector, something which Shining Armor coveted however his duties kept him busier and busier. Twilight's time with Cadence had come to an end as well as the young alicorn began to leave on many trips to study abroad as she called it though often returning after no longer than a month at first then 2 slowly more and more time passing between her returns though often when she did she paid a visit to Twilight first then a certain special some pony though she never said who and Twilight could never guess and honestly she rarely did. Twilight too began to study more on her own with self-appointed topics Celestia still had plenty to teach her however now a teenager Twilight was no longer a filly and so the politics and diplomacy lessons came to an end for she couldn't keep her as a student in that subject but instead she was given small roles to put her teachings into practice. Same with magic which she continued to learn more and more Celestia even allowing her to research in the advanced magic section. Though one section remained off limits for a long time until she turned 18 officially an adult.

After her birthday she received a summons to meet with Celestia in the lowest section in the Canterlot Library and archives she meet with Celestia who lead her to a familiar locked door way old and ornate. "I have heard you have tried to open this door in the past several times my dear student...however it won't open for those under the age of adult a simple detection spell and it remains locked and thankfully for me such a simple rule makes it impossible to fool though I'm sure one day you will prove me wrong yet again my faithful student."

"I'm sorry I tried to enter was I not supposed to?"Twilight asked

"No you weren't but I never punish curiosity. This is the restricted section beyond here lies tomes of magic not meant for the young minds you will also find a guarded wing to it in there are ancient and old tomes some filled with spells from Starswirl himself these are guarded to keep them safe and out of being misused. Lastly there is one more section one even now you are not ready it is the vault..in there are tomes on darker magics some of which should be destroyed there are some magic that has no good use, however, I must keep them around and safe to be prepared should magics such as these reappear. One day I will entrust you with learning about these magic. But that is far far down the road my faithful student there is much left to teach you and much left to learn. For example, you know of dark magic."

Twilight quirks her head. "But Celestia I thought there was no such thing as bad magic..but yes I have read a few things about dark magic though there isn't much most I can gather is that it's evil and corrupting supposedly. "

Celestia sighs, "Indeed it is dear Twilight I know of two ponies who have used it and fallen..both gone. Now I have tomes a plenty on the subject I could give you an entire year or more on the subject just like I have with other spell schools but like I said that will be another day long ahead for I do not wish to lose you my faithful student so, for now, will you promise me when you are down here to never even try to enter the vault. Everywhere else in here is open to you even the guarded section should you accept this condition. Another request I have is that none of the tomes or scrolls you do find and study remain here not even a copy and my last request is should you choose to ever bring Spike with you down here that you keep a close eye on him many of these tomes are on adult topics such as pain, harm, death, and combat. Of course, I know of a few tomes in there that...are stimulating to say the least if you get my meaning."

Twilight blushes. "A..ah yes..yeah I know what you mean..um I'll be sure to come down here on my own if I research here but yes I promise not to enter the vault or try to...unless it's absolutely necessary I mean what if you're gone and something bad happens that I can't explain with my knowledge of magic or general knowledge. "

Celestia sighs. "I suppose that is a good argument very well you may enter the vault under emergency situations and I MEAN emergency." she pauses and silently thinks to herself "Perhaps something that will, unfortunately, be happening far too soon."

"You got it, Princess." Twilight beamed

"Hehe always eager to learn very well go enjoy be careful with the guarded section the items there are old and hold much history I have not been down here myself to read anything here in a long long time I mainly come down to check on the guards here make sure nothing is amiss before heading back. Who knows you may find something I have forgotten about."Celestia smiles down to Twilight. she was not lying she indeed rarely came down here much of what was here was her collection from over the years but she did not itemize them all mentally the only place she kept track of with vigor content wise was the forbidden vault.

With that Celestia leaves her students to gleefully explore the new section of the library she was allowed in and sighs wistfully. "Oh Luna...you would like her so...she adores your night sometimes more than she does my day, she has an insatiable thirst for knowledge and magic and she reminds me of you...I pray to Magic that you are well and it is a dark hope that the tale Starswirl wrote is true. I barely noticed his vanishing sister I was so distraught over you I still don't know what happened to him sister." she sighs. "Enough reminiscing if that old coot was right I have 2 years before you get here and she will be ready for it. "

And those two years passed too quickly late one night she slipped the book into her students collection to read for the day and so fate, destiny, luck whatever it is that all began her journey 10 years ago with her hatching spike and becoming Celestia's student learning magic and other subjects but there was one 'subject' she failed at, at least she thought so, friend making. Twilight had a few 'friends' Moondancer an introvert mare who loved to study almost as much as Twilight and the two often read and studied together though Twilight was almost always studying something.

Amythest Sparkler a jeweler who was the busiest of the group next to Twilight and though Twilight was no jeweler she helped her out giving her a few simple illusion enchantments that could make her items shimmer and glitter more.

Lemon Heart a candy maker in Canterlot whom Twilight enjoyed her candy and bought it often complimenting her candy making skills just as frequently.

Minuette a self-named 'time mage' although she was just good with clock work and clock pieces though she did have a few spells that helped also control sand for sand time pieces. Twilight taught her a couple spells on how to make ponies pep up and appear faster though warned her was that afterward the pony will feel hungry and drained. And one to make them feel sluggish and slow Minuette seemed to adore her after that even though Twilight kept telling her it really wasn't a big deal.

Lyra Heartstrings a music mare and skilled in song magic just like most unicorn musicians Twilight just helped her learn some as Lyra called it 'cool music magic' but all she did be teach her how to make the Lyre change tune without much effort and make it sound like similar or even other instruments.

Twinkle Shine a science fiction, the genre of book, play actress Twinkle often played roles involving exploring the stars above, Twilight often enjoyed such stories and radio play she even taught her how to conjure several star field images and more for her roles in live plays. Everypony knew space travel was impossible but it was still a fantastic topic to feed the imagination and wonder.

She liked them sure but she was too busy to really spend much time with them and when she did her snout was still usually buried in a book. Today was no different spike was away getting...something, she forgot. And she was reading a book. A story about Celestia and a dark princess of the night Nightmare moon. By the stories end, she found herself humming an oddly familiar song. "Elements of harmony where have I heard that before I know I've heard it somewhere."

"Spike...Spike are you here?" she called out into her study room.

"Geeze Twilight no need to shout. I'm here I was just getting a present for moon dancer she has her party today remember?"Spike grumbled

"Wait..that was today...ugh." she pauses looking at the book again. "Spike, can you please get me the prophesy book we found?"

"Ugh, sure Twilight but we're on a break can we please go to Moondancer's party you're the one that taught me to never let someone down if they are counting on you should that count for this?"Spike asked

"I doubt Moondancer is counting on us to be there but you're right Spike we'll go but only for a little while but first find that book." she requested beginning to look for it herself as well.

"Yeah yeah, mom." he huffs. "You don't gotta be so bossy."

Twilight giggles. "I'm your mother Spike it's my job to be bossy to you side you love being my number 1 assistant."

"True I get gems and bits out of the deal hey good thing 'Aunt' Celestia gave you that book about dragon greed who knows what would have happened to me." he comments continuing his search.

"Well I do and I told you you're fine now we got you used to accept what you're given and not demanding more didn't we?"

"Well I want more things who don't even ponies are guilty of it but yeah I get your point...ah here it is." he said picking up the book he had been tasked with finding.

" I know Spike but you don't have the hoarding instinct anymore is what I mean hehe though it was kinda cute when you first had it."

"Please...not the pile of books story again." he groaned embarrassed by his old actions.

"Oh, you LOVE our book forts when we get time off."Twilight counters playfully

"True..anyways read...please I wanna go to the party." he sighed

"Ok ok ok." she flips through the pages finding the section...groaning as it directs her to another part of the book. "Mare on the Moon," she mutters.

"Isn't that an old mares tale?"Spike asked

"Well considering there is a mare symbol on the moon and I found this history book I've never seen before yes I'm gonna say it might be true now hush let me read." she commanded

Spike just rolls his eyes waiting for Twilight to finish reading only to get shocked out of his frustration with a startled gasp. "Spike get a quill and paper quick I need to write Celestia."

"Ok ok." he rushes off getting a quill and paper. "Ready."

"Dear Princess Celestia through my continued studies, I'm aware you told me to take time off, I have learned that the mare on the moon is none other than Nightmare Moon and that she is returning in two days from today. I'm aware you are busy but It's imperative we do something about this and soon your faithful student Twilight."

"Imper...a.tive..sorry Twi you know bigger words still give me some trouble...ok all done," Spike said as he finished writing

"All right send it." she comments

"Wait now..but she's busy..and the party." he sighed suspecting they weren't gonna go

"Yes I know Spike but Moondancer can wait this is more important it's the fate of Equestria if not the world here...send it please." she asked

"Ok ok ok don't get your tail in a bunch you know I hate it when you freak out." he inhales and breathes orange flames consuming the scroll and whisking it off to the Princess.

"Can we at least go to the party while we wait for the response...pleeease," Spike begged

Twilight sighs. "Of course Spike I know you and the others are better friends than they are with me."

"Oh, Twilight don't be silly they are your friends too." he counters

"Spike I spend all my time studying away from them and even when I'm with them I'm studying. I'm not really their friend if I am I'm a pretty bad one but Moondancer does study with me so let's go," she says in a huff truly not believing she was their friend she never did anything that nice for them nor really gave them her full attention.

The duo leaves the castle and head to Moondancers party they get there with no trouble however after Spike gives Moondancer her gift and Twilight just gives a smile about to apologize for not bringing a gift Spike gags and belches out orange fire and a scroll materializes

"Whoops...sorry." he comments scorching the bear he had gotten Moondancer.

"Read the message in a second Spike...Moondancer can I have the bear?"

"S..sure thing." she meekly says hovering over the scorched bear. Twilight's horn glows before the bear is good as new as if nothing even happened she floats it back to Moondancer. "There you go good as new...ok Spike what's it say?"

"Oh..uh..my dearest Student Twilight while I have always trusted your judgment and your opinion you simply must get your head out of those musty old books...I'm sending you to Ponyville to watch over and coordinate the summer sun festival. You will be set up in the Ponyville town library during your stay try not to read the whole library, my student.

On a more personal note." Spike begins.

"Uh no...Spike stop right there I'm already embarrassed enough as it is." she frowns and sighs. "Sorry, Moondancer I guess I need to go to Ponyville...I'm sorry I didn't bring a gift..come on Spike we have to go."

"But...waah!" he cries out as he's picked up in Magic as Twilight gallops away. "Twiiii light....sorry girls!" he calls out as he is raced off.

She makes it to the room only to have one of the guards stop her before she gets in. "Lady Twilight your chariot awaits the Princess said to come get you right away."

"Oh...but." she tries.

"It's important we leave at once." the guard says.

"Alright...Spike, you still have the letter right."

"Yup...want me to finish reading it?" he asks confused why she was ok now with a guard around.

"Sure thing...come on let's get going...oh hey Winter hows your brother Scorch..still stuck on front door duty?"

"Of course it's an honor to serve the princess in any way we can." The guard answers almost zealously

Twilight rolls her eyes. "Yeah, I forget you're not like your brother at least he likes to talk more openly than you."

"Fraternizing with those above our station is not our place I'm just a guard."Winter Frost comments without a pause or much inflection.

Silence rings out after a bit before Spike speaks up. "Soooo letter?"

"Go for it." she sighs clearly not enjoying Winter's cold shoulder pun definitely intended.

He clears his throat muttering until he reaches where he left off. "On a personal note you should take this time to make some new friends it would make me eternally happy to finally see you with friends you interact with instead of giving the cold shoulder to."

"What is she talking about I keep telling her I doubt they think I'm their friend they just hang out with me cause I study a lot with Moondancer and they are friends with Moondancer so thusly I just am there."

Spike sighs. "I agree with Aunt Celestia though you really should try and open up and make some friends. "

"Spike, I won't have time I have a whole festival to plan AND work out any information on these elements the princess may say it's just a fairy tale but somethings up I just KNOW it." her mind raced she didn't want to be wrong but at the same time she didn't want to be right. She looked up at the sky as Twilight and Spike head onto the chariot..before their two guards strap into to pull the chariot Shining Armor gallops up.

"Twilight's whats this I hear about you leaving?" Shining asked worriedly

"Oh Shining relax I'm only going to Ponyville for 2 days....well ok maybe a bit shorter if everything goes as planned..that is if I'm right...well either way at most I'll be gone 2 days...3 tops ." she wasn't about to tell him about the possible danger besides IF she was wrong she'd never hear the end of it. "Come on it's not like you see me often with all my studies lately so relax...oh if Cadence comes home while I'm gone tell her I said hi."

"Yeah...sure," he grumbles before Twilight hops onto the platform as the two guards fly off shining waving goodbye and Twilight returning the favor. As they flew down to Ponyville by flight it takes no more than half the time it took by train. With two guards pulling the chariot it would take probably a bit less than that. But time was on her side after all she had two days right? What is the worst that could happen?