• Published 31st May 2017
  • 2,955 Views, 68 Comments

An Alternate Nightmare - PirateCattheShipper



After losing the battle to Starlight in season 5, Twilight is restricted from her reality and must stay in an alternate dimension. In this demension, she finds a filly Nightmare Moon and must take care of her, where they face many challenges.

  • ...
5
 68
 2,955

Blood-Soaked Nightmares

"What were you thinking?!" Twilight threw a forearm in the air in exasperation, her purple eyes blazing with fury and fear.

Nightmare Moon sank her head guiltily into her chest, her chin pressing against the chestplate she was wearing. Her luminescent tail was flowing close to her side, and her eyes shone and glistened with regret.

"I thought you were mad at me. . ." She said quietly, her voice high-pitched and scratchy. "I used to try and run away from my 'father' but he would come after me, yelling at me that I would never win. He would catch me and hurt me. . .That's what happened to my eye."

The small black Alicorn's words dug deep claws of sorrow into Twilight and a small bit of tears built up in her eyes.

"Oh, honey, I completely understand. . ." Twilight's voice was as soft as chick fluff. She sat beside the silently crying Nightmare and wrapped a hoof around the filly's neck. "But you simply must know that I will always care for you. Friendship isn't always easy, but there's no doubt it's worth fighting for."

"I've never had friends before. . ." The words were brushed off like dust from Nightmare's soft lips. A tear slipped down her cheek and she looked at Twilight. "Are you my friend?"

"Why, of course, dear." Twilight soothed, clutching Nightmare close and rubbing her back. "And I will always be your friend. . ." The words were choked out. Would Twilight ever see her friends again?

The map was destroyed. Starlight took Spike. . .Her friends could be dead in this world, they could be enemies (even worse than through the mirror), or they could have jobs they thought were more important than friends.

And who was the only pony who could fix this? None other than Starlight Glimmer, a grudge against the whole of Equestria.

Twilight wondered where Starlight was and what she was doing. The Princess of Friendship curled her lip in disgust. She might as well kill herself. The only thing in this world she could possibly harmonize was Nightmare Moon.

What if I went on a trip to canterlot to see the princesses? Is Luna even a pony? Twilight blinked, tapping her chin with a hoof and retreating from the hug. Well, it's certainly worth a shot. I could gather a lot of information from them.

"Hey, honey. . ." Twilight looked at Nightmare's glistening blue eyes.

"Yes, Twilight?" Nightmare blinked.

"Would you like to go and see the Princesses?" Twilight asked curtly, willing to cheer Nightmare up or at least make her optimistic.

"Princesses?" Nightmare suddenly felt bewildered. "Or are we seeing Cadence, too? Has she come back from the dead?!" The small filly's eyes lit up and she grinned widely.

Suddenly, Twilight's optimistic (ish) mood was dropped like a glass full of fresh water. The glass fell and smashed, spiking into Twilight's insides as pain seared through her. The optimism that was like that fresh water suddenly dried up in the heat that had struck Princess Twilight. Her own half sister, dead?

If Cadence is dead, then where is Shining Armor. . . Twilight gasped, collapsing onto the floor, tears streaming down her face as she whispered "no" repeatedly. A small amount of drool dibbled down her gaping jaws and her whole body quaked with shock.

Nightmare stuttered something out, unsure of what to do. She sat down and stared sympathetically at Twilight. Should she not have brung up Cadence? Or was Twilight just having a heart attack?

My own brother. . . gone! And I'll be stuck in this damned world for the rest of eternity! Unless something changes, I will never see my brother again. And maybe even my friends. My best friends, the ponies who've been there for me through and through and never given up on me. Now all I have is a filly who cares for me but. . .Nopony can ever replace my friends. Or my brother! How is it that ponies live like this?! Twilight's breathing was so hard that black was starting to press up against the edges of her vision, and eventually she fell limply to her side.

Twilight awoke in. . .ponyville.

"Hey, Twilight!" Pinkie Pie called to Twilight as she skipped happily along the dirt paths of Ponyville.

"Oh, Pinkie!! I'm so happy to see you!" Twilight scampered up to her friend, fur spiked in joy, as though a crazy squirrel.
"I missed you so so much, and and and I am just so happy to see you! Are you happy to see me?? I'm so happy to see you!!"
Twilight gave a couple in-place skips of excitement.

"Oh, Twilight! You're so funny, I wasn't talking to you! In fact, I never even said your name!" Pinkie giggled and then pointed at a lavender coated mare strutting up to her, an unimpressed look on her face and. . .Wings spread regally at her sides.

Princess Twilight swiveled her head around, gawking at the Alicorn before her. Suddenly, she felt no wings to stiffen and expand at her sides at the shocking sight. . .The pony before her had her wings.

Twilight glanced down at her flanks, but all that remained was blood pouring out of two tears where her wings would have been connected. The blood just kept gushing and flowing, almost like a waterfall of reeking crimson. The scent of blood clotted in her nostrils, and she noticed her hide growing lighter and lighter, losing color gradually.

The Princess' eyes bulged as she further examined the lavender "Alicorn". For it was the one and only Starlight Glimmer, with faded scars stretched across her body and parting her sparking fur. Twilight's wings were stitched to her flanks and blood leaked out of the stitches, also streaking over Twilight's former wings.

"You'll pay for what you did." Starlight growled, thrusting her muzzle to Twilight's, who peeled her lips back and bared her teeth in rage. "You're a murderer, Twilight Sparkle. And we will have our revenge."

Before Twilight could question Starlight's words, the mane six came defiantly trotting up to Starlight's side, angry looks on their faces, magic prepped and wings spread.

Tears, thick and salty, suddenly gathered in Twilight's eyes, slipping down her cheeks and dripping to the ground. Her friends. . .Sided with Starlight Glimmer! This couldn't be possible, it just couldn't-

"Pinkie Pie. . .Will you do the deeds?" Starlight said silkily, her chin high and satisfaction coursing through her.

Pinkie Pie nodded and, with a yowl, flung herself at Twilight, of whom teleported away from Pinkie.

Pinkie snarled in frustration, running at Twilight. The former Alicorn attempted as hard as she could to start her magic,
but it just wouldn't work. Pinkie barreled into Twilight and bit down with sharp teeth into her fluffy purple neck.

Twilight writhed, screaming at Pinkie to stop.

"Pinkie!! We're friends!! I love you!" Twilight noticed Pinkie's grip ease the tiniest bit, and reluctantly she kicked out with her hind legs, throwing Pinkie a few feet back. The pink pony coughed up blood, her eyes turning gray and her pelt turning crimson with blood. But where had it come from?

Twilight howled as Rainbow Dash held her down and pulled at her mane. Even if Rainbow was mad, that certainly didn't seem like something she would do.

Twilight went to swipe at rainbow, but her legs wouldn't work. But suddenly they did, and she slapped Rainbow in the face so hard blood dripped from the Pegasus' nose.

Then it was Rainbow's turn to turn red, soaked with random blood.

"What have you done?" Twilight demanded, scrambling to her hooves and slamming a hoof on the ground defiantly, glaring at Starlight. Blood, warm and sticky, flew out of a deep gash in her neck, nonetheless she ignored it.

Starlight chuckled. "Oh, Twilight. . .You really thought I'd go easy on you after you committed murder? And to think I never layed a hoof on you. . .What selfishness. . .And look! You've killed Pinkie and Rainbow now!"

Twilight, though she didn't wish to, felt quite let down from Starlight's words, of which had been dripping with a what-a-shame sort of tone. Starlight was trying to guilt trip Twilight, with her "innocent" tone and hurtful words. But Twilight refused to give in to it.

Twilight breathed in deeply, closing her eyes and then opening them as she exhaled. "I won't let you get under my fur." She said stonily, her expression flat but her eyes twinkling with rage.

"Look for yourself." Starlight muttered darkly, leaning forward.

Slowly, Twilight looked to her side. . .

"PINKIE!! RAINBOW!!" Twilight whinnied, her hackles spiking in horror.

Panicking, Twilight bolted up to Pinkie Pie, nausea settling deep into the pit of her stomach and her pupils thinning with shock. She watched as the deep crimson blood soaking Pinkie's fur dried and stiffened, almost turning black.

"N-No!" Twilight then raced to Rainbow Dash's side, but the pegasus was also turning almost black with blood.

"Dash?!" Twilight choked out, wanting to throw up her insides as fear and pain daunted her, turning her dizzy. Her heart thumped so hard that it rang in her ears, and she had almost never felt so lost and hurt before.

"Twilight. . ."

Twilight whipped up her head to glare at Starlight, growling with rage, her teeth bared.

"Are you so sure you want to go visit Celestia?" Starlight asked, her voice dripping with taunt like honey.

"What do you mean?!" Princess Twilight demanded, stamping up to Starlight, magic sparking around her horn.

"It's a wonderful idea. . ." Starlight glanced over her shoulder, biting her lip and rounding her eyes. "I mean, it's terrible,
you shouldn't do it."

Had Starlight just admitted that Twilight was smart and then taken it back?

Right as Twilight was about to say something, her dream faded, and she was suddenly thrown back into reality.

"Twilight?" Nightmare Moon asked aloud, fear flashing in her blue eyes and her fur quivering. Her voice had a high-pitched squeak in bedded into it.

"I'm sorry, dear. . ." Twilight whimpered, her wings drooping and her eyes dull with desolation. "I just keep on having nightmares. . ."