• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 533 Views, 6 Comments

20% Warmer Than Usual - Black_Board23



Rainbow convinces Twilight to go on vacation, but it goes pear-shaped when they crash in the desert.

  • ...
 6
 533

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Packing: a simple task. At least that's what Twilight Sparkle had thought after Rainbow Dash brought it up. Now the mare was standing above an empty suitcase and she was second-guessing it. the bag had so much potential, it was the largest one at Ponyville's equipment store. It's only task was to be stretched to it's physical capacity and carry whatever was put in it. She could fill it with only the bare necessities and go literally anywhere. She could also endow it with all the books that would fit and learn about literally anything. The unicorn knew that, however mush she wanted, she couldn't do that; the bag would either break or be very hard to carry, even with magic. Twilight finally stopped thinking to an almost philosophical level of what to pack and started doing it instead. One mandatory item she'd have to bring would writing utensils, since her reason to go to Manehattan in the first place was to write a report. Through telekinesis, the scrolls, quills, and ink jars she'd be using floated off her table downstairs, up the stair case, into her bedroom, and into the top left part of her suit case. Next, Twilight thought of how she would transport them to the monument she'd be writing about. So, thinking about where she last left it, Twilight levitated her saddle bag with a six-point star on it off it's hook near the door to the library up to her room, placing it right next to the quills. "Hmm, lots of space left, but I still have a lot of packing. It took me ten minutes from getting the bag to packing these two items, so this is going to take awhile." Four hours and several bouts of philosophical though later, the purple unicorn was totally exhausted and, luckily, almost done with this evil process. Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. Since Twilight was too tired to walk down to the door , she just yelled, "Come in, the door's open!" Rainbow Dash bashed through the door with a saddle bag and said, "Hi Twilight. You done packing yet?" "Close, but no." Twilight responded. Rainbow questioned, "How can you not be? I started packing, like, ten minutes ago and I'm done." Twilight's jaw dropped open. "I have two questions for you," Twilight begun to ask, "One: how can you fit all your stuff into just a saddle bag? Two: How is it possible to pack everything you need in ten minutes?" Rainbow Dash looked a little confused about the questions, but still answered, "Well, to answer both your questions, I don't need that much stuff. I'm only packing my flying goggles and a few bits to spend in the city." Well, that's not the case for me." Twilight said defiantly. Rainbow dash raised an eyebrow at her friend, reached into her suitcase and said, "Do you really need a spare inflatable desk?" Twilight rolled her eyes and said, "Well of course I do, what if the hotel we're staying at doesn't have a table to put things on?" "You just keep them in your bag, then." Rainbow said with a sigh. Twilight blushed and looked away, embarrassed that she hadn't even thought of it. Finally after getting through those issues, the sky-colored pegasus dove head first into the big one. "So what's taking you so long anyway?" Rainbow Dash asked very directly. "This." Twilight simply levitated a book up between them. It was sand-colored with a few specks of dust on the cover meaning it hadn't been read in a few weeks, a lot of shelf time in Twilight's library. "The Complete Guide to Saddle Arabia," Rainbow read slowly, having to squint to read the small print. "Why the hoof would you need that?" the pegasus asked with confusion over why it was taking up her friend's time. Twilight responded, "Well, we'll be flying over Saddle Arabia and I want to be able to recognize all the important structures there." "Well, bring it if you want, but all that stuff plus yourself will come pretty close to the weight in the balloon you'll be traveling in." Rainbow Dash replied with a little worry that she couldn't keep out of her voice. "That settles it then!" Twilight said with happiness in her voice from getting to not only finish packing, but to also bring the book. She placed in on all her other belongings in the bag and zipped it with a sense of finalization. Both of the ponies in unison then said, "Next stop, Manehattan!"