• Published 1st Sep 2016
  • 456 Views, 8 Comments

Hero's Never Die, They Just Get Older - Hidemain



Sereda Aeducan A dwarf who fought to protect Thedas and her home Orzammar. Now sixty five, does she have the strength to do the same for Equestria or is this her last chapter.

  • ...
6
 8
 456

Ch.1 Discord's Plan

Twilight galloped through the palace, determined to reach her destination before… “Before Faust knows what.” Twilight didn’t know what was going on. She received a letter from former mentor stating that she was needed to meet her and the other royals as soon as possible and they would be waiting for her in the counsel room.

Twilight’s destination insight she practically rammed the door flinging it open startling all present. “Sorry… I’m… late…” Twilight said gasping for air. Celestia, Luna, Cadence and her Brother were sitting around a large circular table with a map of equestrian laid out in front of them. Celestia was the first to acknowledge Equestria’s newest princess and rose to greet her.

“Thank you for coming on such short notice Princess Twilight, but this situation is indeed dire.” Celestia motioned for Twilight to join them at the table where she could now see a familiar book sitting in the center. If the use of Twilight’s title was any indication, then the various flags on the map were dead giveaway to the severity of the situation. Using her magic Celestia opened up the book in the center, and began telling the tale.

“This story goes back to when our mother Queen Faust still ruled. A warmonger named Tirek brought his armies from across the sea and invaded our land to seize Equestria’s magic for himself. He would have succeeded if not for his brother Scorpan who learned to love the ponies and could not bring himself to follow Tirek’s mad quest for power. Scorpan turned on his brother and warned Queen Faust of his plans. Knowing her ponies were in danger she used the elements of harmony to lock Tirek and his armies in the depths of Tartarus.” Celestia closed the book and addressed Twilight directly “With the elements no longer available we are debating on how to handle the situation.”

“Equestria has always been a peaceful nation” Twilight looked to her brother and acting captain of the guard. “the Crystal and Canterlot guards are the only active military we have at the moment. Our united front only comes too roughly fifteen thousand able soldiers and that includes the ones on leave or still in training!” His grimaced and looked down casts. “The last scouting party reported almost pushing thirty thousand troops with hundreds leaving the gate by the day. We simply don’t have the numbers or the experience to face that kind of force.”

Luna raised her hoof about to speak but Celestia cut her off. “No Luna we can’t draft civilians anymore because the draft laws were removed shortly after your banishment.” Luna was about to say something but Celestia stopped her. “No Luna that was not my doing it was the nobles who felt and I quote “since we have not had any conflicts in the last three thousand years why bother keeping them around.” Celestia grumbled under her breath about the thick headed nature of the nobles before continuing. “Because of the dire nature we are faced with, I think we should bring Discord in on this since he is at the moment our strongest ally.”

With a snapping sound discord appeared leaning on Celestia. “Speak the devils name and he shall answer.” He grinned and proceeded to hover over the table inspecting all the little figurines and decided all the white flags should be little Celestias and all the red flags should be bananas.

Celestia just rolled her eyes and continued the discussion. “Discord I assume you have been listening in.”

Discord looked up from his impromptu battle between mini Celestia and the banana overlord. “But of course little Celly, I’m always listening.” He smiled like the Cheshire.

“Then you will use your powers to help us?”

Discord rubbed his chin with a talon before answering. “But of course but, while I could go and try to confront Tirek myself and maybe catch him off guard, you know that would never work.”

Celestia frowned but nodded “So do you have anything else to offer us?”

Discord stroked his beard with an out of place seriousness. “Tirek is a sly fellow and is either one prepared for me and has taken measures to prevent me using my magic or steal it all together.” Eyes wide Discord suddenly clapped his talon and paw together, rubbing them menacingly “I have the perfect solution and all it’s going to take is the right princess and a little friendship magic.” Discord grinned evilly and snapped his talon and a hole opened up in front of the royals.

~

Tapster’s Tavern, there is no better place in Orzammar to get you’re drink and stay for a night. If you can tell the difference between night and day, with Orzammar being underground and all. While normally the tavern would be bustling with activity, commoner and noble alike. Tonight was different, tonight is one of three in the whole year that a Paragon enters the hall and drinks her sorrows away for a night. Tonight she enters the hall wearing her volcanic dwarven royal armor and the re-forged ancient shield of the first Paragon Aeducan and a long sword clearly not of dwarven make.

She took her seat at the bar with many of the patrons moving to either leave or give the old paragon her space. She once had vibrant scarlet red hair and deep green eyes, they are now faded. Her hair now with steaks of grey and her eyes now dull . The wrinkle’s and scars adorning her face showing her troubled life as well as her experience and wisdom.

The bar tender nervously and cautiously made his way over. “M-m-m- My Lady Aeducan! W-w-welcome to T-Tapster’s Tavern. H-how can I serve you.” The paragon regarded the bar keep with a star that would make the strongest dwarven men and women feel like they were facing down an archdemon.

She smiled at her fellow dwarf but spoke with authority and fire that one would not expect from someone her age. “Ah you’re new. Tell me bar keep where is Sir Dulge?”

“H-he is bed ridden my lady he hired me to watch the tavern in his stead.” She regarded the dwarf with a solemn expression.

"Ancestors watch over him. Now then how about you pour me a drink.”

“Of course my lady. What would you like?”

“I’ll have a pint of Lichen Ale if that’s alright with you.” The bartender was shocked but shook his head continued to fill the order.

“You are aware Lady Aeducan that, that is the cheapest ale we have serve here I we plenty of finer brews you could have and even some from the surface, Antiva I think it was, we could serve you.” The bartender finished the ale and slid it in front of the paragon, foam running down the side.

“Thank you for the advice but today isn’t about the taste or the finer things. Surely Dulge mentioned how I come to this tavern only three nights in the year.” She finished by taking a swig of the drink.

“Honestly I thought the old man was huffing lyrium when said that. I guess I owe him a drink now.” He chuckled “So if you don’t mind me asking why do you come here?”

She stared absently at her drink “I come here because on the same night every year to remind me.”

The bartender around nervously, it was as if the entire atmosphere suddenly got colder and a sense of foreboding but his curiosity won out against his fear. Swallowing nervously he asked, "Remind you of what?"

With ghostly smile she said, "The night I lost everything."

After finishing six pints and telling the new bar tender, who’s name she still doesn’t know, good night she left tavern entering fiery light of Orzammar’s lava falls and returned to her estate. She was greeted by her servants “Welcome back Lady Aeducan.” Making her way to her room she stopped by her trophy case. Her dull eyes focused on a stone tablet that housed the names of herself and those who followed her all those years ago. She delicately touched it just under the name Alistair Theirin.

Suddenly a hole appeared beneath her. She didn’t even make a sound as she and the tablet fell into nothing.

~

At the sound of the thump every royal in the room turned to the source and saw a being like they have never seen. It was short with a greyish red mane, clad in elaborate armor the likes of which they have never seen, carrying a shield and a sword that seemed too long for its body. When it finally stood to its full height it was carrying a piece of stone and was looking at the royals just as confused.
And it spoke with an aged voice. “I’m going to have that bartender flogged for drugging my drink.”

Author's Note:

I would like honest feed back what you think of the first chapter and pleeeeease point any mistakes or what I can do better on.

Aeducan's armor

Shield

And Duncan's sword