• Published 5th Aug 2016
  • 1,098 Views, 31 Comments

Cursed Crusaders: Outset - Caffeinated Pony



One year has passed and Twilight is still unable to find a cure for vampirirsm. As part of their promise, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo set out with Sweetie Belle to find ways to live forever with their friend.

  • ...
3
 31
 1,098

Noon

I gently pulled my fangs out of Luna's neck, licking my lips. The smell of sweat and a hint of lilac perfume filled my nose, while the savory taste of blood lingered in my mouth. The alicorn tasted different from Apple Bloom in every way. My friend was sweet and when I fed it was so easy to just keep going. Luna's blood tasted thick, reminding me of spiced meat. It even had an aftertaste, one that stayed in my mouth even after I pulled back, the princess now sporting two small wounds in her neck. She lit her horn and the circular scars vanished, replaced by unbroken skin and fur. I looked up at her, trying to collect myself. She had insisted on us going upstairs for this, though I hadn't understood why at the time. Now that I was a bit more level-headed I could see her reasoning. Her bedroom was the darkest place I'd ever been in my life.

Dozens of thick curtains weaved around and through each other on the walls, while tapestries covered those to further isolate ourselves from the outside world. All of the tapestries were made to honor a constellation or the moon itself, and the way they were all arranged were exactly like the night sky over Canterlot. The carpet in there was thick and cushioning. The princess had an enormous bed that I rather liked. I sat on the thick blanket, looking up at her and wondering what to say. She seemed to be absentmindedly gazing out at the rest of the room, lost in thought. I didn't want to disturb her, so I occupied myself with thinking about earlier. The desk that sat on the other side of the room, next to a wardrobe, reminded me that I should be getting back to my friends.

It was hard to tear myself away from her. The acoustics in there absorbed any sound besides the steady drum of Luna's heartbeat and the fine tune of her breathing. So soon after feeding I felt enamored with the princess. I looked up into her beautiful green eyes, trying to understand the feelings being forced onto me by my biology. I looked to her wings and felt like I could push myself into them, rest against her side while the soft feathers protected me. I wanted to listen to the light drumming in her chest, like I did with Apple Bloom. She had been so kind to me earlier, and it wasn't making things easy on me now. I shook my head, stealing back my composure.

“Your maje- I mean, Luna.” I fumbled to correct myself. “Thanks for everything… especially the magic training. I want to come back again sometime, if that's okay? I have to go and see my friends now...”

The alicorn tilted her head to the side, confused for a moment. After a moment she made an 'ah' motion, nodding. Whatever she had been thinking about was enough to make her lose track of time. I found it odd, really. Most ponies were acutely aware of how much time was passing when I fed off of them. I would assume because of the pain and the odd sensation that my fangs provided. None of that bothered Luna though. Before I could think about it too much she spoke.

“I'm sorry to see you go… please try to come back tomorrow. We have a lot more to teach you.”

I paused at her referring only to herself. Did Nightmare not care if I left or not? That would make sense… she didn't strike me as a particularly social pony. I leaned over and hugged Luna, pushing my face into her fur. She smiled, using a hoof to brush my mane back.

“Come on now… you're just making it harder for me Sweetie Belle.” The princess sighed, smiling at my gesture.

I nodded and got up, jumping off of the bed. I lit my horn and tried to teleport downstairs, only to find myself standing slightly to the left of where I'd started. Luna chuckled, her own horn lighting. There was a blinding flash of light, and while I was recovering my vision she spoke.

“There… you can teleport into and out of my tower whenever you want now. Just try to be careful of the guard patrols. I'll tell them that you're here. Mine won't bother you too much, but Celestia's most certainly will.” Luna said, standing and stretching.

“I don't really know where I am though… what floor is this?” I asked, looking up at her.

“This is the third basement level, Northeast Wing of the castle. You shouldn't have too hard of a time getting here, though I can imagine finding your way back up will be…” She pondered, walking to the stairs.

I followed her as we both walked down five flights of stairs. The moment we arrived downstairs the clock on the wall struck seven, and we both heard a knock at her door. Luna answered it to find Twilight, standing there and looking vaguely irritated. The feathers on her wings were in a dissaray, and by her expression the youngest alicorn wasn't in the best mood.

“You need to get back to your friends, and go back to Celestia.” Twilight said, not looking at Luna.

“Whatever for…? Is something the matter?” The moon princess asked, though I had a feeling that she already knew what was going on.

“Celestia had a guard check on your friends at around noon yesterday. She asked me if I knew where you went, and I told her the honest truth. Her words were… scathing.”

I looked up at Twilight, feeling bad for causing her trouble. On another hoof I was terribly nervous. If Celestia had been that quick to chew out her best student for disobeying her, what was in store for me and my friends? Luna sighed, tapping a hoof on the floor.

“I have to raise the moon, then be in court… however, I can help you.”

She summoned a piece of parchment and a pen, writing a single paragraph in a nicely flowing manuscript before signing it, rolling it up and giving it to me. I took the paper, levitating it in front of me. I didn't know what she had written. It didn't look to be anything I would understand anyways. Perhaps it was in a different language. I tucked the letter behind me, holding it there with magic.

“Now, when she inevitably goes to scold you for disobeying her, show her that letter. It should let you make some sort of negotiation. Maybe even get you off the hook entirely.”

I nodded as Twilight lit her horn. Before I could properly say goodbye again, I was stumbling in front of the door to Celestia's tower. I looked around, trying to get my bearings. The lights in the halls weren't dimmed yet, and the sky was still light despite the sun setting nealy half an hour ago. The western sky was still painted a light purple, and I had to squint to look out a nearby window. Twilight turned away from me, lighting her horn to dissapear again.

“Stay here while I go get the other two.” She ordered.

I nodded just as she vanished. Everything Twilight had said so far pointed towards us being in trouble. She seemed a more stressed than normal… probably because Celestia was upset at her. I didn't like ruining another pony's day, but seeing Luna had been necessary. Whatever happened, I had a good way to let Apple Bloom live forever that I was fairly certain that she'd approve of. So even if the princess was going to shout us into oblivion… I at least come out with the precious knowledge that I had been seeking.

A moment later Twilight appeared with my two friends. “You three are to go straight upstairs to see her. I don't want to go with you… I'm already in enough trouble, and seeing her again won't make anything better.”

“You're not mad at us, are you Twilight?” I asked, blinking up at her.

The alicorn looked away from me, unable to meet my eyes. “No... I'm mad at myself more than anything. Just go upstairs, you know what you did.”

She opened the door to the tower and motioned us inside. Scootaloo led the way, while I took up the middle. Apple Bloom was the last pony to enter. The moment we were all inside the door shut, and we walked to the stairs. We exchanged worried glances, wondering what was going to happen once we reached the princess. We didn't have to think about it for too long before we reached the landing that Celestia was on. She stood, looking out the window an the Equestrian countryside. The room that she stood in had windows on all sides, so that we could see the fading purple-blue light to the west and the dark blue skies to the east. There was a single couch in the center of the room, with one chair across from it. Celestia turned and walked to the chair, sitting down. She took a deep breath before speaking.

“Sit. All three of you.” She commanded.

I did as she asked, while Scootaloo and Apple Bloom followed my lead. Nearly a moment later she stood up again, pacing around the chair in front of us. I wasn't that surprised. She didn't seem like the kind of pony to try and sit down at a time like this. As she paced the princess glared out at the eastern horizon. The moon was slowly rising, gracing the world with its silver presence.

“I told the three of you, in very clear terms, that I didn't want you to see my sister. Yet here I stand with the three of you in front of me. One of you is a blatant rebel. The other two of you let your friend wander off.”

“We're her friends not her foalsitter.” Scootaloo commented dryly.

The princess looked like my friend had just insulted her. Celestia's eyes locked onto the pegasus, who held her gaze with rebellious calm. The alicorn was doing her best to stare her down, but years of being Cheerilee's number one target had built up an extreme resistance to that tactic. It let Scootaloo look at her with an almost stone-faced expression, a poker face that invited the princess to do something about what she had just said. She was right no matter how the princess spun the story. We were friends but in no way were we all attached at the hip. Especially me. I had to find things to do while they were both asleep, or were at school or the like.

“Either way, there will be punishment. I'm not in the habit of letting ponies slight me.” Celestia said.

Scootaloo let herself have a small smile to celebrate the tiny victory over the princess. However, I was nervous at what the alicorn had planned. I wanted to know some things though… or at least delay her somewhat. I did the most honest form form of stalling I knew and began to ask questions. I kept the note that Luna had written for me behind me, thinking that Celestia probably wouldn't ask questions about it so long as she was in a bad mood.

“Why didn't you want me to go to Luna? She was really helpful.” I said, looking to my friends.

“Because you bring up old memories she shouldn't have to deal with anymore. She served a thousand year sentence for her mistakes, she doesn't need a walking embodiment of them to waltz into her life and demand she fix everything.”

“So you know she made vampires?” I said, not surprised but very interested in her reaction.

My friends looked between me and the Celesta, their eyes wide at my revelation. The alicorn seemed more than a bit annoyed at me, the way I'd just let that secret out.

“Yes, I know that. It was one of the many, many reasons that I had to send her to the moon. Don't presume me ignorant of anything. I'm a lot more at home around Luna than you ever will be.”

I wanted to ask her how I could keep secrets from her if I acted like that, but then the thought hit me that she didn't want me to ever keep secrets from her. Celestia wanted me to act like there was nothing private between anypony so that I would let things slip in front of her without thinking about it. That never would have occurred to me a year ago… but age and my wariness of the princess had led me to see through her subtleties.

“She didn't seem that upset to see me… I mean, she was a bit sad to see me at first, but she was okay once we got to talk to each other.” I said, looking up at the alicorn.

“Yes, then what did you do? Guilt her into practicing forbidden magic again?” She snapped back at me.

I winced, then remembered the note I had positioned behind myself. I took it out, levitating it in front of me. Celestia looked from me to the letter, as if she didn't want to take it. I held it out until she finally took it, opening the roll of paper to read the contents. As she read her face seemed to grow more irate, her wings clenched tightly to her sides. After she finished she tossed it down onto the table, taking a deep breath before letting it out again.

“So you have Luna's favor now. I don't care how my sister feels towards you, or if she believes that it is acceptable for her to fall into her old habits. I suppose that means you'll have her defend you if I try and punish you. Of course a foal would hide behind the legs of an adult. How typical.”

I wanted to say something in response to that, but I knew that had been a very obvious jab at my pride. Scootaloo's wings twitched at her words, signalling her annoyance with Celestia. She was the oldest of us, and she was certainly no foal. She held my own pride in a lot higher regards than I did. That made her a good friend, but it wasn't good when the alicorn was looking for any reason to look down at us.

“So… can we go?” I asked, hoping that we were off the hook.

The alicorn chuckled, shaking her head. She was clearly very amused at my question.

“No… since I can't punish you, I'll use your friends.” She said. “You need to be punished for being a bad influence on my sister, and if I can't do it directly then it will be through the other two.”

“Okay, I'll volunteer then.” Scootaloo said, standing up.

“You're tossing yourself in front of your friends to save them from me? How noble… you hardly deserve your friends, Sweetie Belle.” Celestia said.

“She deserves us, then better.” The pegasus replied. “So what's it gonna be? Sitting in a room, sorting things?”

“You'll be going on an errand for me.” The princess smirked. “You see, there was a message that I wanted delivered. There is a small village far south of here. A pony there regularly writes to me with updates about wildlife in the area. However, recently, she stopped. I value her insight into the local fauna there, and I'd appreciate somepony checking up on her. It's a few hundred miles from Canterlot, but if you take the train as far as it will take you in that direction it's only about a fifty miles. Not a long flight.”

“So I just have to go check on somepony? Doesn't sound that hard...” Scootaloo said, shrugging.

“Of course not, it's a punishment. It's supposed to be dull and monotenous, not challenging.”

I had a bad feeling about all of this. There had to be a reason that Celestia had stopped receiving letters. “What if something bad happened to the town though? What if you sent Scootaloo into a bad situation?” I asked, looking to my friend.

“That's nonsense, Sweetie Belle. She's just a kindly mare that I happen to be good friends with. She doesn't have any relatives and she is getting older, so it's important that I send somepony to check on her.”

Scootaloo sighed, stretching onto the tips of her hooves before falling back to the ground again. “I'm fine with this I guess… really boring, checking on some old pony… but I guess if it gets Sweetie off the hook.”

I still had my doubts about the situation, but kept my mouth shut. After a moment, the princess turned to Apple Bloom.

“Don't think you're free to go, either. Just because your friend jumped in and took most of the punishment doesn't mean you'll walk away with your personal time intact.”

“Bah, horseapples.” Apple Bloom grumbled, having probably thought she would be able to leave without any commandments issued from the alicorn.

Celestia blinked, surprised at the words my friend had just produced. As if she hadn't heard, the princess continued.

“I've heard that you're very good with your hooves from Twilight. You wouldn't mind it if I borrowed that talent for a bit would you? My orders are to repair the bunks in my guard barracks. They aren't in the best shape, so I'd like you to fix them up. Most of them creak and a fair few are unstable. All four thousand, seven hundred and twenty-eight of them need some kind of work. I'm sure that you're up to the task. I'm sure that foul mouth you just used will fit right in with the guards.”

Apple Bloom looked up at the princess like she had just sentenced her to prison for stealing a single straw of wheat. I looked to my friends with the burn of guilt weighing down on me. Neither of them could say no to the princess. I secretly knew that the reason Apple Bloom's task was so much more tedious than Scootaloo's was because she knew I favored her. Anypony with a functioning set of eyes could see the well defined set of scars on her upper leg. From there it sure didn't take a detective to guess which of my friends I favored the most. Scootaloo was still one of the few ponies I'd trust with my life, but the farmhand held a special, more romantic spot in my heart. Celestia was also making their punishment worse because she couldn't do anything to me without Luna interfering.

After a moment of letting that sink in, Celestia turned and walked to the stairs. The meeting was clearly over.

“Two guards will be at your room tomorrow. One will escort Scootaloo to the train station. The other will take Apple Bloom to the barracks and give her the necessary supplies for her task. Sweetie Belle… enjoy your time with my sister. I hope that these punishments will encourage you to play by the rules in the future.”

With that she left us. I wanted to say a whole heap of curses out loud the moment that I was sure the alicorn was out of earshot. I maintained my composure though, standing to leave. I would be sure to tell Luna about this. Even if it just reinforced what Celestia thought about me, I couldn't let this happen again. I hadn't come to the castle to seek Celestia's advice on eternal life. I'd sought every possible solution for my friends. That didn't involve being her errand pony and I certainly did not owe her any debt for the meager amount of information she had given us. I turned to walk out, the other two doing the exact same. We walked silently to the base of the tower, out the front door. The moment that we were outside Scootaloo turned around, slamming the door shut behind us.

“She acts like we owe her the world every time we talk to her. For what? She's never done anything for us. She gave us totally unhelpful 'hints' about how to live forever if we high-tail our sorry plots halfway to the moon and back for her. Stupid princess...” The pegasus vented.

I sighed, nodding. “She does come off as really entitled… but she is a princess. And she was the only ruler of Equestria for a long time. I guess she just got used to all the power.”

“We just gotta listen to her for a little while, girls… ain't no need to get your tails in a bunch about it.” Apple Bloom chimed in, seeming to have accepted our fate. “I'll have the guard beds done in a week tops. I know it stinks but listening to her is about the only thing we can do until Sweetie can get her hooves on a way to let us live forever. Speakin' of that… did Luna help you find a way Sweetie?”

I nodded as a smile returned to my face. “Yeah, I did! We can talk about it while we walk.

I explained the concept of the Eternity Tome to her as we walked back to our room, my thoughts wandering to what we would do about Scootaloo. I had no idea what she wanted. I'd have to ask her when we all got back to the room. Apple Bloom nodded along with the idea of the enchanted book, intrigued by it. The farmhand seemed to agree with the idea, since she was normally great about schedules and things of that sort. As we walked, thing seemed to be looking up for us. Even if Celestia was going to be sentencing us to an neverending sequence of dull chores, we had a solution for one of us that worked. All I had to do was learn the specific magic from Luna. It would all be alright. So I thought.

Author's Note:

Once again, comments are very much appreciated. Any insight I can gain into how my readers interpret the fic can help me do better in the future. Thank you for reading this chapter, and have a great night.