• Published 24th Jul 2016
  • 219 Views, 0 Comments

Mother of Equestria - Cinquain



A simple fable for ponies to tell their foals at night, that's really all it was. But one must wonder: where did the princesses [i]really[/i] come from?

  • ...
 0
 219

2

I blinked, almost smiling at the story. Mom smiled in her own way, wrapping her foreleg around me. To my right sat Pinkie, her eyes shining the way they had ever since she was marked, and she laid her head against my barrel, delightfully warm and unusually calm. Maud and Limestone, way over on Mom's left, they even looked calm. In front of the crackling fire, it seemed as though this moment would last forever.

But alas, good things never last.

Limestone's face soon had it's usual hardness. Maud lost her serenity, falling back on indifference. Pinkie grew uncomfortably warm against my back, and Mom shifted at my side. I felt my ears droop, then flatten against my head as Limestone voiced her suspicions. Sighing, I wiggled Pinkie off my back and stood on shaky legs to wobble to bed.

Pinkie called after me, and I heard her stumble on the hard floors. Mom rebuffed Limestone in her own hard tone, sending her and Maud to their room, and that was that. Pinkie caught up, and she ran her cheek against my own. Her smile was infectious, even if mine wasn't as large. She bopped my muzzle with her own, and we giggled. Pinkie always had a way to make me feel better.


Sunlight streamed through the window, hitting my face directly. I tried to raise a foreleg to block it, but it didn't come. Blearily, I blinked my eyes free of sleep, coming nose to nose with a smiling filly.

"Morning, Marbie," she whispered, her cheerful tone rousing me from my slumber. Even with my almost-smiles, my muzzle was starting to ache.

"Morning, Pinkie," I whispered back, even quieter than she. Pinkie beamed. Her smile then faltered, just a bit, but she beamed brighter as if to make up for it. Nonetheless, it made me worried. I tripped over my words. "Is there a-anything wrong?"

Pinkie sighed, dropping her grin when her ears drooped. "Marbie," she began, her eyebrows coming together in worry, "Do you think that story Mom told was... Do you think it's real?"

I blinked. My words were swallowed up in the sudden silence. "Why wouldn't it be?"

Pinkie's ears flatten against her head. "Limestone made it sound silly to believe in."

"We can write a letter? To the princess?"

"Do you really think she would read our letter?"

"We'll just have to find out."

A large grin began to dawn on Pinkie's face.


At the end of the day, all our chores complete, we had cobbled together an acceptable letter.

Dear Princess Celestia,

My name is Marble Pie and my sister is Pinkie Pie and we are writing to you from Pie Rock Farm. Last night Mom our mom Cloudy Quartz told us a story about you and your sister. Pinkie wants to know if she's really the mare in the moon and if she is does the moon taste good because it's cheese or is it something else? My sister Maud Pie says it's rocks and she should know because she's marked and she says she's gonna get a rockterate in rocks when she's older. Maud is really smart but I don't think it's called a rockterate just because it's to do with rocks. Is that right or is it really a rockterate?
Anyway the story Mom said was about your mom and I would liked to know if it's true or not because me and Pinkie say so but my sister Limestone Pie says it's a bunch of gravel but you shouldn't say that about the princess so I'm sorry about Limestone please don't send her away. I love her even if she's mean sometimes because you got to be mean sometimes or else other ponies will think you can't do anything.

From Sincerely Marble Pie
Pie Rock Farm