• Published 19th May 2016
  • 513 Views, 2 Comments

An Unbroken Promise - Crystal Secret



Rainbow Dash returns to Ponyville, but things are all that they seem.

  • ...
 2
 513

Prologue

An Unbroken Promise

Prologue

It was the day that Rainbow Dash had been waiting for. Today was the 66th Grand Wonderbolts Derby. It was held every four years and this was the first time Rainbow Dash would have participated. She would be performing her best routine yet and she would also be racing against her fellow Wonderbolts.

There was no reason to be all that nervous though, it was just like any other show she had done. Except for the fact that this would have to be the biggest audience she had ever performed for. Ponies from all over Equestria had come to see today's show and she didn't want to make any mistakes.

A sigh escaped her as she looked at the pictures in her locker door. They were of her friends. She missed them more than anything, she had the feeling that Pinkie Pie would be missing her more than anypony.

'I wonder what's she been up to these days?'

Yes, she missed the good times that they had shared. It was a good thing that she would be seeing her soon, after a few years she was starting to think that she might not ever see her friends again. She pulled her flying goggles onto her head.

"Hey Rainbow Dash! You ready? We're on in five minutes!" called a familiar voice.

'Ready as I`ll ever be.'

"Yeah, just a sec Spitfire. I`m just...ah...making sure my goggles are tight enough."

"Okay then, I`ll see you out there. Okay?"

"Yeah, that's cool." she replied slamming her locker shut.

As the Wonderbolts made their way to the entrance, waiting for their cue, their captain quickly gave them a prep talk.

"Alright everypony listen up. Today is a very important day for all of us. I know that this is a little nerve wracking especially since it's forecasted for a thunderstorm but remember to put on a good show and even if you make a mistake, keep on going. Fly your fastest, work those wings their hardest and be the best Wonderbolt you can be! Got all that?"

"Yes Captain Rainbow Dash!"

"Right then, let's go!"

As the commentator announced them they took off into Cloudsdale's colosseum. The sky was black and looked as though it was about to rain. They flew up and did their usual entrance routine with Rainbow Dash in the middle, Spitfire and Soarin adjacent on either side. The audience cheered and roared as they made a clear landing.

"Alright to start with today folks we have the derby while following that we have the Wonderbolt's Captain's performance. So let's get right into it. Wonderbolts to the starting line."

Rainbow Dash and the other Wonderbolts made their way to the starting line, lining up and getting ready for the race of a lifetime. As she leaned in, wings spread out behind her, muscles tense and heart racing she knew that if something went wrong, there were would be no second chances. She had been training intensely for this race, she would be going at speeds so fast that if she made one wrong turn..she would be a goner.

Her thoughts turned to her friends back in Ponyville. Who were probably anxiously awaiting her arrival. She had told them she wouldn't make it back till that afternoon but they would still be making preparations for her return. Then she thought about Pinkie Pie and how she was probably busy getting a party organized however...she had done this for Pinkie. She had worked hard and made sure that even if something went wrong today, she would at least know that she had tried her best.

"The race begins in 5..."

'I`m doing this for you Pinkie.'

"4....

'You've been there for me since the beginning.....

"3....

'there are no words to express how much I`m thankful for all you've done for me....

"2.....

'so whatever happens today, just remember that you're the best friend I could ever ask for, I love you..Pinkie Pie.'

"1..Go!"

The whistle blew and Rainbow Dash took off at her fastest pace. Her wings were flapping faster than her mind could keep up. The audience was cheering her name and she knew that she wouldn't let them down. She was way ahead of her fellow Wonderbolts and she quickly took a sharp turn.

It was a shame her friends weren't here because she had never flown so fast or so swiftly before. It then started to pour down with rain, but Rainbow Dash didn't care, she had a race to win. Spitfire was coming up closely behind her but the cyan pegasus took another sharp turn leaving her fellow Wonderbolt in the dust.

Winning. Was all Rainbow Dash ever seemed to care about when it came to Wonderbolts Derbies. She like how the audience cheered her on or how she won the cup at the end. But crossing that finish in first place was a feeling that could not be replaced by anything else in her life.

She took the last corner, the audience roaring her name, she took it a little too sharply but quickly made it around. She was on the final stretch. Only a few hundred metres to go...a black and white checker flag flew down past her and she knew that she had done it. She had one the 66th Grand Wonderbolts Derby. Just another thing next to her name.

She flew up into the centre of the arena. Looking out to all the ponies that were cheering her name. It had been the best day of her life...so far. A clap of thunder shook the colosseum but nopony seemed to notice. Not until several more claps of thunder followed. Suddenly bolts of lightning flashed against the sky.

Then, at that moment, the most unexpected thing happened. A bolt of lightning struck the cyan pegasus pony and it was as though time itself had come to a halt. She could feel excruciating pain as lightning channelled through her body. Everything slowed and for a moment she thought that she was dead, but she was only halfway there.

Her eyes closed as her brain began to shut down. Her wings stopped moving as all of a sudden she could feel herself falling...falling...falling so fast that she wasn't sure if anypony was coming to save her.

"Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash!" called Spitfire who had flown after the cyan pegasus the moment that her wings had stopped moving.

She could hear Spitfires cries but was falling too fast to reply. The former Wonderbolts Captain continued following Rainbow Dash but soon came to a halt knowing that she wouldn't be able to catch her.

Her eyes quickly opened and she noticed that Ponyville was getting nearer. She then saw Pinkie Pie who was watching her. Tears came to Dash's eyes as she saw how shocked the pink party pony looked.

"I`m so sorry Pinkie, I..I didn't mean for it to end this way."

As she continued falling she felt a magical essence around her and noticed that Twilight had used a levitation spell on her but as she continued falling, she broke the sound barrier.

The ground drew nearer and she knew that this would be perhaps the last few seconds of her life...but what to say?

"I regret nothing, moving to Ponyville was one of the best decisions I`ve ever made. I`ve accomplished my life dream and even become the Wonderbolt's Captain. I`ve made tons of friends and at times even been considered a hero. I helped save Equestria twice. Lastly, I`ll never forget the smile that spreads upon Pinkie's face every time she sees me. That's something I`ll treasure forever."

With those last and concluding words Rainbow Dash closed her eyes tight and waited for impact. Who knows? She might even live long enough to say goodbye? As she plummeted into the Earth, electricity still coursing through her body she could hear the cries of her friends and the gasps of the other ponies. She could not move so she just lied there, waiting...