• Published 17th May 2016
  • 480 Views, 6 Comments

And It Was a Tiresome Dream, But Only Because She Wished It So - Ditherer the Fussbudget



The portal malfunctions. Sunset and Twilight struggle to understand what happens next.

  • ...
3
 6
 480

YODH

“I can’t just leave her trapped inside there! Especially when it’s my fault for not bringing her back in the first place!” Twilight shouted, feathers ruffled as her wings stood out.

Celestia looked at her levelly, making no sudden movements but maintaining eye contact. She was trying to be reasonable. Twilight could work with that, if they could both calm down and get away from the portal.

The Princess’ magic was a thousand years more experienced than Twilight’s, and she was quick on the draw. The only warning her student had was the sudden pinprick of light around her horn, and then the room was bathed in golden rays.

“No!” Twilight scrambled for the portal she could hear being annihilated. Celestia grabbed her from behind and held her tightly, keeping her hooves off the ground.

“The light would be fatal, Twilight, even to you. Sunset’s on her own now. I’m truly sorry, but there’s nothing you can do for her that wouldn’t endanger the rest of Equestria. You must look after your people.”

“She’s my friend!” Twilight screamed, beating against her fellow Princess with her wings until the magic ended.

When the room was visible again, only the patch of floor they’d occupied remained. Everything else had been charred, and the ashes scattered, until even the fire-smell had been eradicated. The rest of the castle had survived, it was founded on Eld Magic even the Princess didn’t understand, but this piece was demolished.

Twilight flew out of Celestia’s grasp, took in the destruction, and cried. She couldn’t help it.

“I have one more task, my student. I’m sorry.” Celestia said, as she flew to join her student.

“You can’t do that to me.” Twilight backed away, eyes darting for an exit amongst the new emptiness of the chamber. “I won’t let you! Sunset needs me!”

Celestia drifted closer and Twilight felt the wall pressing behind her. Her vision was streaked with tears, but she could make out her mentor closing her eyes and lowering her head.

“No!” Twilight shouted as their horns touched, and then it was over. Her knowledge of the portal, how it worked, what it looked like, how she would’ve described it to anypony else, was completely gone. Only her memories of going through were left to her.

“I’m sorry. I know you won’t want to speak with me for a long time, but I hope one day you’ll be able to forgive me, Princess Twilight. I did this for all of us.”

WIth that, Celestia departed. Twilight fell to the ground and sobbed.

“It’s over,” Celestia said to herself, quiet enough that the wind would drown it out, “I saved everypony I could.”

However her actions made her feel, she knew they were the right ones, and they brought her a washing relief that made her feel guilty. Bad dreams and false memories had haunted her, and would've plagued the fledgling alicorn with madness even if she'd contained the portal. Now there was no more fracturing, no more false hope. This was the end of the story.