• Published 5th Apr 2016
  • 1,034 Views, 30 Comments

Eternal Love, Life, and Death - Fiction Quill



A brony named lance gets teleported to another dimension and appeared in the magical land of Equestria.

  • ...
12
 30
 1,034

The Blind Date

Life certainly can be strange. First, Lance awoke this morning to his wound's being healed, which he found out not too long after that it was Starlight and Sunburst's doing. Not long after that he started having a more serious sparring session with Shining Armor until Twilight and Cadence returned to the castle with Flurry heart. This caused some sweet and yet painful memories to come back of Roy's kids. Afterwards he got into an argument with Twilight about him blaming himself for Roy's death, which ended with the result of Twilight slapping him. Then he and Twilight almost kissed. Although the strangest part of today is Cadence deciding to treat just Lance and Twilight to a fancier dinner than the previous night. Yes Life can be strange indeed, however something felt odd about the whole thing.

It was currently 7:30 in the evening. Lance was currently getting ready for the night's events. Lance had no idea what Cadence had in store for them. All he knew was that it was just going to be him, Twilight, and Cadence. Lance grew a suspicious feeling as he tied his shoe laces. Lance normally didn't get a strange feeling about something unless he felt like someone was up to something that directly involved him. Usually Lance over thinks things which causes him to have this sense of paranoia, but this time he was sure Cadence was planning something but he didn't know what.

Meanwhile, back in Shining Armor and Cadence's room, Cadence was telling Twilight about her plans for Lance and Twilight. Needless to say Twilight was in utter shock.

"I-I am sorry Cadence but can you run that by me again? I don't think I understood you the first time." Cadence giggled.

"I said that I am taking you and Lance out to dinner tonight, but what he doesn't know is this is going to be a date for you two!" Cadence explained excitedly as she clapped her hooves together excitedly. Twilight could only stand there dumbfounded as a deep blush glowed on her face.

"But Cadence isn't a date supposed to be meant for only two?" Cadence smirked.

"Exactly, which is why before the dinner starts I will say that I forgot to do something important and leave you two alone." Twilight's blush only deepened at Cadence's words.

"Cadence we don't even know if he likes me yet!" Cadence shook her head and giggled once more.

"Twilight remember not only do I protect the Crystal Empire, but I am also the princess of love. I am sure Lance has feelings for you but is either afraid to mention it for some reason or he doesn't know that you like him. Besides that's why it is called a "Blind Date" Twilight." Twilight began to panic.

"Even if you are right Cadence what if I screw up during the date? What if say something to offend him? What if while we are eating I end up embarrassing him and he doesn't like me anymore and he decides to move out of the castle and never talks to me again and I-I-I!" Twilight hid her face in her hooves as she grew more nervous by the minute. Cadence simply sighed as she shook her head.

"Twilight I understand that you’re nervous and anxious but if he was like that at all then he would be a waste of time, but he isn't. He has shown you the kind of person he is hasn't he?" Twilight nodded lightly.

"A little, yes." Cadence nodded in return.

"Then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Plus this would be a good chance to get to know him better wouldn't it?" Twilight fidgeted.

"I guess so, but I’m still nervous Cadence. I’ve never had a boyfriend before. I haven't gone on a date yet either." Cadence smiled comfortingly.

"I know Twilight. That's why I am here to help. I was nervous when me and Shining went on our first date too but I’m sure you will do fine." Twilight sighed to relax herself.

"You're right Cadence. I just hope he likes me." Cadence pulled Twilight into a hug.

"I am sure he does Twilight. Now what's say we get you dress up for your date?" Cadence playfully winked at Twilight and Twilight blushed as she smiled and nodded.


Lance just got finished tying his tie on his tux as he began walking down the halls. Even though Lance believed something was up that wasn't going to stop him from enjoying himself this evening. Lance began to walk to the reading room where he was supposed to meet Cadence and Twilight per Cadence's instructions. When he arrived he saw Shining Armor and Spike laughing and reading some comics together. Lance merely chuckled as he found the sight amusing. Shining Armor and Spike noticed Lance and stared for a moment.

"What are you all dressed up for Lance?" Lance scratched the back of his head.

"Well Spike Cadence wanted to treat me to dinner tonight as an apology for earlier. Even though I said it wasn't necessary she insisted. Anyways she told me to where something nice and she said she is bringing Twilight along, but I have no idea why." Shining Armor's eyes widened as Spike shrugged. He knew what his wife was up to as she has done this before being the princess of love. Shining knew Cadence was loyal so the only solution could be that she was setting up a blind date between Lance and Twilight.

"Alright, that just gives me and Shining Armor more brother time." Lance smiled as he stood and waited for Twilight and Cadence to arrive.


Twilight beamed as she was looking herself over in the mirror. "Cadence this dress is beautiful and it's simple just the way I like it, but do you think it is good enough for tonight? If this is going to be a date I really want to impress him." Cadence giggled.

"Of course it is Twilight. Remember he knows much about our world and us so if he does like you it's because he likes the way you dress too. The dresses you wear might be simple but they are still beautiful regardless." Twilight looked at her reflection again and smiled.

"You're right Cadence." Cadence smiled.

"Plus I have a few things planned for tonight besides dinner. That dress is not only elegant and simple but also easy to move around in." Twilight looked at Cadence confused.

"What all do you have planned for tonight Cadence?" Cadence smirked.

"I will explain on the way. Come on. Lance is waiting for us." Twilight nervously nodded as they left the room.


Lance looked at his watch. It was now almost 8:30. Lance sighed hoping it wasn't going to take much longer. Fortunately his wait was over.

"Hey Lance you ready to go?" Lance smiled when he saw Cadence.

"Yes. Wait, where's Twilight?" Cadence giggled as Lance looked around for Twilight.

"Right here Lance." Lance smiled as he heard Twilight's voice but began to blush immediately when he noticed what Twilight was wearing.

Lance could not tear his eyes away from Twilight. Lance liked to see her in a regal appearance but he loved it best when he saw her wearing something simple.

"Wow Twilight." Twilight couldn't help but blush at Lance's reaction. Cadence felt so giddy at the Lance's reaction. Spike looked confusingly at Twilight.

"Why is Twilight dressed like she is going on a date?" Twilight's eyes widened as Cadence smiled happily.

"Well I had planned on giving this dress to Twilight for a date but I figured I would give it to her now to show it off, plus who knows she might end up catching someone's eye with this dress." Spike shrugged. Lance eyed Cadence curiously. She was definitely up to something but he wasn't going to argue if he got to spend time with Twilight dressed the way she is. Twilight sighed in relief hoping Shining wouldn't catch on.

"Cadence, can I talk with you alone for a minute?" Cadence nodded as she and Shining Armor walked outside of the reading room. "Cadence are you sure this is a good idea?" Cadence eyed Shining Armor innocently.

"What are you talking about Shiny?" Shining rolled his eyes.

"Don't try to play innocent. I know you are setting up a date between Lance and Twilight." Cadence chuckled nervously.

"So you have caught on already?" Shining looked at Cadence with an unamused look on his face.

"Cadence I know you do this sort of thing when you find out two ponies like each other, and don't think I haven't seen how Twilight and Lance act around each other so I know what's going on. I am just not sure he will be a good choice for Twiley." Cadence giggled.

"Awe how cute. Trying to be protective over your little sister." Shining's expression changed to a pained one.

"Well that and well you know how much Twilight loves foals. I have even heard her talk about how she wants to be a mother someday. They are two different species and Lance isn't from Equestria. If their relationship got serious they probably wouldn't be able to have a foal together." Cadence sighed.

"I know Shining, but this is her decision and you should know all of those blind dates at least one of the ponies knew my intentions and this is no different. Twilight knows of my plan and she seems fine with it. I am sure she knows this if she doesn't she will cross that bridge when she comes to it." Shining also sighed.

"I know. I just don't want to see her get hurt." Cadence kissed Shining on the cheek.

"I know Shiny but I’m sure Lance wouldn't hurt her and Twilight is a grown mare now she can take care of herself. Not to mention she is an Alicorn Princess." Cadence giggled as Shining chuckled.

"You're right. Just know that if he does hurt her I am giving him a beating." Cadence rolled her eyes as she smirked.

"Well Lance, Twilight, and I need to be going. I have a few things planned for them tonight." Cadence smiled as she walked back into the reading room. Lance and Twilight looked over at Cadence concerned, especially Twilight.

"Is everything OK Cadence?" Cadence nodded.

"Yes Twilight everything is fine. No need to worry." Twilight nodded as Shining entered again.

"By the way honey me and Spike are going to order out since you three are going out to eat." Cadence giggled and nodded.

"Alright boys enjoy your junk food night." Both Spike and Shining blushed from embarrassment as Cadence and Twilight giggled.

"Well shall we go ladies?" They both nodded as they walked with Lance to the restaurant.

Lance was a little quiet whilst walking towards the restaurant. Most of the conversing was done between Cadence and Twilight. Lance didn't mind. He liked to walk around and enjoy the sights at night. It was one of his many hobbies while he lived back on earth. Every now and then Lance would turn to look at Twilight who at which point would be staring at him when he wasn't looking at her. He caught her a few times but a couple of the looks he got seemed to be looks of concern.

"Is something wrong Twilight?"

"I should be asking you that. You are being pretty quiet." Lance chuckled.

"Oh sorry. Just enjoying the sights. It was something I used to do all of the time when I lived back on earth. You see I lived alone and all of my friends were either too far, too busy or too lazy to go walking with me so I would just walk to my favourite spots and enjoy the sites and the peace and quiet of the night." Twilight sighed in relief.

"Alright. You also seemed to be deep in thought." Lance smiled reassuringly.

"I promise Twilight everything is alright." Twilight simply nodded and returned to her conversation with Cadence.

Truth is, Lance had been in thought. Nothing bad though. Lance was curious as to why Cadence would invite only him and Twilight to dinner and nopony else. Lance probably figured Starlight had plans with Sunburst again and Spike wanted some bro time with Shining Armor and Flurry Heart was put to bed before they left so all that was left was the three of them. Lance shrugged it off not wanting to waste the night over thinking about these things.

It didn't take much longer for them to reach the restaurant and when they arrived Cadence stopped and gasped.

"I almost forgot! I promised to go run some errands for Shining while he has some bonding time with Spike!" Lance shrugged.

"It's alright Cadence we can do this another time." Cadence shook her head.

"No I promised you a dinner and you are going to get one you and Twilight will just have to go without me." Lance looked at Cadence unsure.

"What about you? What are you going to do for dinner?" Cadence giggled.

"Don't worry I will get something while I’m out running those errands. Here." Cadence hands Lance the bits for their evening tonight. "This will cover dinner and whatever else you might want to do tonight." Lance looked at Cadence shocked.

"Cadence dinner is enough you don't need to-" Cadence interrupted Lance, waving her hoof dismissively at him.

"It is perfectly alright. Go on you two! Have a night on the town! My treat." Lance shook his head and smiled.

"Alright if you insist." Lance and Twilight smiled as they waved goodbye to Cadence. What they didn't know is she planned on watching them to see how their date goes.

Lance and Twilight walked into the restaurant and were pretty shocked at what they saw. As Cadence mentioned it wasn't really high class but they could see why it was fancy, not to mention that there was also a dance floor in this restaurant. Lance was pretty impressed. So impressed in fact that while he was checking out the place he failed to noticed a deep red blush on Twilight's face as she kept looking back and forth from him and the dance floor, thoughts of dancing with Lance running through her mind. Twilight knew that tonight would involve dancing as Cadence had explained her plan to her but she didn't expect it in a place like this. Many of the ponies stopped their meals to look at Twilight and Lance but then immediately resumed their meals afterwards with the exception of a few ponies happily waving to them before resuming their evening. Lance was a bit relieved to see some ponies had recognized him and others were still happily accepting him.

After a few minutes of waiting a waiter noticed them standing at the front waiting to be serviced as the stallion rushed over to them.

"My apologies sir and madam! We have been quite busy tonight and we are a little short-hoofed at the moment." Lance nodded understandingly.

"It is alright. We understand. Anything we can help with?" The waiters eyes widened in surprise.

"I appreciated the offer sir, but you are here with your date I couldn't possibly ask you to put it on hold just to help us."

Date? Oh right. Most ponies come here on dates apparently. Why would Cadence take them to a place like this? Lance shook his head as he chuckled. He didn't believe this was a date but he didn't want to seem rude to the stallion and if Lance was being honest with himself he wanted to believe it was.

"Oh right. Well I hope things get better for you tonight." The waiter smiled appreciatively.

"Thank you sir. So is it just dinner for two?" Lance nodded as the waiter led them to their table. "Very good sir. What would you two like to drink?" Lance looked at their menu for a drink and they had a decent assortment of wines. Lance had always fancied wine every now and then especially apple flavored wine. Of course Lance wanted to pick something Twilight would like too.

"Hmm. What would you pick if you were a customer?" The waiter pondered for a moment and then smiled.

"If I were choosing a drink I would pick this one." The waiter pointed to the Raspberry wine. It looked interesting and definitely wasn't too pricey either. Lance looked to the waiter as he smiled and nodded.

"Alright. We will have a bottle of that." The waiter happily nodded.

"Very well. I will return with your drinks momentarily." Lance nodded and as the waiter left. Lance looked over to Twilight who was blushing a bit.

"Why didn't you tell him that this wasn't a date?" Lance chuckled.

"Well I didn't want to seem rude. I hope that doesn't bother you." Twilight's blush deepened as she turned her head away in an attempt to hide her blush.

"N-No It's fine. I was just curious." Lance nodded not seeming to notice Twilight's flustered state.

A few minutes later the waiter returned with the raspberry wine and two glasses. "Have you decided what to order?" Lance looked over his menu again and nodded.

"Yes I will have the Salad Special please." The waiter nodded as he looked over to Twilight.

"And you miss?" Twilight looked at the menu and nodded.

"Yes I will have the Daffodil Pasta please." The waiter smiled and nodded as he took their menus and went to the kitchen. Lance smile as he poured each of them a glass of wine.

"This is such an amazing restaurant." Twilight tilted her head in curiosity.

"So you didn't have restaurants like this back from where you are from?" Lance shook his head.

"I am sure there was, but not where I lived. Nothing this fancy, especially not any restaurants that have dance floors." Twilight giggled.

"So there are many countries in your dimension?" Lance chuckled as he shook his head.

"There are a few countries but not too many, I lived in the biggest country back on earth called the United States. Which is pretty much one big country that is united by many states." This peaked Twilight's curiosity even more.

"How many states?"

"About 50 states." Twilight's eyes widened a little.

"That's quite a few. Equestria has a few holds in its country as you obviously know but not that many." Lance chuckled but then sighed.

"Well the U.S. grew from all of the wars we had fighting over land and others joined us in hopes of freedom from a tyrannical government."
Twilight nodded.

"So which state did you live in?" Lance sighed.

"I lived in a state called Oklahoma, but I would rather not keep talking about this." Twilight's demeanour became saddened.

"Oh alright, I understand." Lance realized her saddened behaviour and quickly waved his hands dismissively.

"No it’s okay. You can ask questions about me just not my world. I would rather not think of that place right now." Twilight smiled and nodded.

"Alright. So why don't you tell me a bit more about yourself? I need to get to know you better so I can get a better understanding of you when I make you the Captain of my royal guard." Lance chuckled and nodded as he began to tell Twilight more about him.

Needless to say Twilight was very impressed, surprised, and a bit saddened all at the same time. Lance hadn't lived a very charmed life. Sure he might be doing well now but in his days as a child he was quite the troublemaker. He never did anything really bad, just some pranks here and there. Got into a few fights, but he never took things too far at first. Until after his friends turn their backs on him and the first girl he loved, or to be more precise thought he loved dumped him for someone he once called his best friend, who apparently she was cheating on him with as well. After that point he started hanging around with the wrong kind of people. Thugs, bullies, gangs etc. Lance didn't want to be alone but he didn't necessarily enjoy the things he did. It wasn't until he got arrested from shoplifting with some thugs. That's where he met his boss. At that time he wasn't as Lance was just a child but he would soon come to work him under in the future. The police chief at the time could see the kind hearted person Lance was and decided to try to help him get set on a different path. Lance still hung out with thugs but he would listen to the police chief when he showed up. Lance also explained how he met Roy and how it was ultimately him that got him out of that life style. Twilight was beginning to understand a few things now, like how close Roy and Lance really were. They were more than just best friends they treated each other more like brothers. She was also beginning to understand why she liked him. Unlike Flash, Lance knew and understood certain things. Lance had been down both roads the good and the bad, and more importantly he knows how to live life to the fullest even though he used to be a nerdy egghead in his childhood.
"
Wow. I never knew you had such a hard life." Lance chuckled.

"Honestly every time I look back on those days I can't help but laugh. The hardest part for my life so far has been losing Roy." Lance sighed as he was trying to fight back the depression. Twilight put her hoof on his hand and rubbed it softly as she looked at Lance sympathetically.

"I am sure Roy is happy that you are alive though. Don't let his sacrifice be in vain by wasting your time blaming yourself. Instead live your life to the fullest like you always have! I am sure that's what Roy would want to see." Lance smiled appreciatively as held Twilight's hoof in his hand tightly.

"Thank you Twi." Twilight smiled back at Lance.

"Anytime Lance." Twilight couldn't help but feel happy and a bit satisfied that she was able to cheer up Lance.

They continue their meal and conversation until they heard somepony on the stage with a microphone.

"Alright everypony. It's time to grab your dates for a little dance especially you first timers." Twilight and Lance saw a handful of ponies leave their tables and go to the dance floor. Twilight and Lance began to look at each other for a moment and began to blush heavily. Lance noticed Twilight looking towards the dance floor and couldn't help but smile.

"You want to dance Twilight?" A small smile appeared on her muzzle as she nodded and continue to blush.
"I would love to." Lance stuck out his arm as Twilight wrapped her hooves around it. They made their way to the middle of the dance floor. The ponies on stage got a big smirk on their muzzles as if they had something planned.

"Alright ponies grab your dates and bring them close because this goes out to all of you couples out there." Lance and Twilight's eyes immediately widen as they look at each other and before they could change their minds the song began to start.

Twilight blushed heavily, beginning to think she embarrassed Lance, until she felt him pick her up and wrap his arms around her as he pulled and held her close. When she looked up at Lance she saw he was also blushing, but he was also smiling warmly at her. She smiled back warmly as they began to sway to the song. Twilight reached up and wrapped her hooves around his neck as she laid her head on his chest. Lance was taken aback by this, but nonetheless he smiled as he ran his fingers through her mane which caused Twilight to sigh happily. Many ponies began to watch them as they danced, even the ponies on stage smiled as they watched Lance and Twilight dance. For the first time in his life Lance felt like everything was right. Lance made his decision right then and there. He was going to stay in Equestria. He will miss his home, but right now Twilight was all he needed. Lance cared about her deeply. He still wasn't sure if she felt the same but he didn't care. All that matters was this special moment they shared together. Little did Lance know that Twilight had similar thoughts on her mind. She never felt so safe so protected before. Twilight wanted to tell Lance how she felt but she still was unsure. She knew she would be able to tell him in time. Neither Twilight or Lance wanted this moment to end, but as they say, all good things must come to an end.

As the song ended the ponies separated including Twilight and Lance reluctantly. All of the ponies began to cheer and stomp their hooves on the ground at the performance. Lance was also clapping at the performance of the ponies on stage. As soon as things began to settle down, Lance went to go pay their bill and leave the restaurant and also leaving their waiter an extra tip for his services.

Lance and Twilight began to walk down the road in the direction of castle until Twilight noticed a faint glow in the distance.

"What's that?" Lance turned and looked at what Twilight was pointing at and tilted his head in curiosity.

"Hmm. I don't know. Let’s go check it out." Twilight nodded as she and Lance went to investigate the mysterious glow.
As they were approaching the strange light they noticed, they stumbled into a park. Strangely enough this park wasn't made out of crystal.

"Wow. Cadence or Shining Armor must have added this place to bring more plant life here." Lance nodded as he glanced at his surrounding, until the strange lights got mysteriously closer. They were coming at a fast rate so Lance and Twilight got prepared for what was coming. To their surprised and great delight, it was simply a swarm of fireflies, but these fireflies did look strange. Once they got a closer look they noticed that these fireflies were made out of crystal which meant that the light they emitted was more luminescent.

"Wow these creatures are amazing! I didn't know something like these existed!" Lance couldn't help but chuckle at how adorable Twilight got when she was excited. The crystal fireflies began to fly around Twilight and surround her ever so slightly just to give her a slight glow and Lance couldn't help but stare. To Lance she shined so bright it gave a new meaning to her name Twilight Sparkle. Twilight noticed Lance's staring and began to blush. Lance shook himself out of his trance.

"I-I am sorry Twi I didn't mean to stare. It’s just that you looked so beautiful. The light from those fireflies made you actually sparkle." Twilight’s blush deepened as she played with her mane.

"Y-You really think so?" Lance nodded as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Y-Yeah." Twilight smiled as they made their way back to the castle.

The walk back to the castle was a quiet one. It's not that Twilight or Lance were upset, they just wanted to enjoy the quiet and peaceful night and each other’s company. Though they would keep trying to stare at one another every once in a while until the other looked in their direction. When they finally reached the castle it was 11 p.m. and Cadence was waiting for them in the main hall.

"So how was dinner you two?" Both Twilight and Lance smiled.

"It was great Cadence, I am sorry you couldn't be there." Cadence smiled happily at Lance.

“Don't be it's perfectly fine! Anyway it is getting late. We should really get to bed." Lance and Twilight nodded as they looked at each other and smiled.

"Alright. Goodnight girls." Twilight blushed as she flew up and lightly pecked Lance on the cheek.

"Goodnight Lance thank you for the lovely evening." Lance stood there dumbfounded as he was rubbing his cheek softly. All the while he was blushing and smiling like a doofus as Twilight and Cadence made their way to Twilight's room. Before Twilight and Cadence could get very far however Lance stopped them.

"Twilight!" Twilight turned around smiling brightly as she looked at Lance wishfully.

"Yes Lance?" Lance bit his lip as he looked at the ground. He wanted so badly to tell Twilight how he really felt. He wanted to take her into his arms and hold her tightly, but he couldn't. Lance couldn't tell her how he felt.

"I just wanted to say sweet dreams." Twilight's demeanour changed just slightly for a second, but before Lance could notice she smiled sweetly at him.

"Sweet dreams Lance." Twilight continued to her room along with Cadence. As they were Leaving Lance turned around and walked to his room with tears in his eyes. Lance had only one thing to say to himself.

"Lance you are such a coward."

After Twilight and Cadence entered her room, Cadence locked the door behind her.

"Now Twilight tell me everything!" Cadence knew a good portion of how the date went as she was watching them from outside, but she couldn't stay long enough for her to watch their dance.

Twilight began to explain the details of her date and a few things about Lance as well. She explained how he had been a complete gentlecolt or in his case gentleman the entire evening. It was when Twilight explain how they danced that Cadence got all giddy.

"Oh my gosh Twilight he definitely likes you!" Twilight bit her lips lightly as she grew nervous.

"You really think so Cadence?" Cadence nodded eagerly.

"Of course! There is no way Lance would have held you close like that during the dance unless he liked you! I am sure he was about to confess there in the hallway but I guess he got too nervous and stopped himself." Twilight sighed.

"How are we supposed to know that for sure Cadence? What if he was just trying to be nice?" Cadence let out a slightly annoyed sigh.

"Twilight I am sure that's not the case. You need to tell him how you feel. At least sleep on it tonight." Twilight sighed.

"Alright Cadence I will." Cadence smiled as she hugged Twilight before heading off to her and Shining Armor's room.

Both Twilight and Lance lay in bed with Tonight's events playing through their minds. So many things happened so fast it was hard for them to register or believe any of it. They wanted to confess and tell the other how they felt, but they were still unsure. Not only because they feared rejection, but they also had their own fears to worry about. Lance, unlike Twilight, feared what other ponies would think of their relationship. He knew her family and friends would accept it but he didn't want to ruin her reputation as the princess of friendship. Twilight on the other hand feared that Lance still planned to return home. She knew if he did she would never see him again, which was the main thing that was stopping her from confessing. After an hour of over thinking Twilight and Lance decided it was finally time to get some rest. They would reveal their feelings for each other when the time was right.

Author's Note:

i apologize for this chapter being so late i have been going through a lot of stressful situations as of late and i have been very worn out :ajsleepy: but here it is and i Hope you all enjoyed this chapter :twilightsmile:

also i do not own the photo in this chapter i just found it on google images. Also in case people were wondering yes i know this photo Twilight doesn't have her wings but in the story i am treating it as her wings are tucked in her dress.