• Published 10th Mar 2016
  • 1,132 Views, 15 Comments

My Sister Fluttershy - brokenimage321



My name is April Showers, and I’m six years old. Today, Mommy went to the hospital to have our new baby—my sister Fluttershy.

  • ...
1
 15
 1,132

Scene 7: Int., Office, Morning. Age 13.

“Ah, Miss… Flowers, is it? Come on in. You’re here early.”

“It’s, um, ‘Showers,’ sir,” I say, stepping timidly into the office. “There’s something I want to talk to you about.”

Mr. Gale sits at his desk, ruffling some paperwork and sipping his coffee. The shiny brass plaque on his desk reads “CAMP DIRECTOR.”

"Um, I was just curious,” I say quietly. “My sister Fluttershy applied for camp, and we still haven’t heard if she’s been accepted or not.”

Mr. Gale continues to shuffle his papers without responding.

I swallow. "Um…the last session starts tomorrow, and I was wondering...could you please look her up and see if she was accepted?"

He holds up a hoof, and I flinch. After a moment, he turns around and begins going through a filing cabinet, muttering to himself. Finally, he surfaces with a thin manila folder and slaps it on his desk. As he opens it up, I can see Fluttershy's picture clipped inside. She’s shying away from the camera, trying to hide behind her mane.

Mr. Gale paws through the application for a few moments, making little noises to himself. At last, he nods and closes the folder with a sense of finality.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Flowers, but your sister's application has been denied. She's simply not coming to Flight Camp.”

I stand there, stunned. Fluttershy? Not going to Camp? Not after everything we’d done, all the forms and the checkups and the stories? Not after she ran across the backyard trying her hardest to fly? Not at all?

Mr. Gale sees the look on my face and smiles condescendingly. "Don't worry, Ms. Flowers. All is not lost. I'm sure she could still get a job at the Weather Factory..."

Instantly I bristle. I can feel Grandma Merriweather coming down the warpath, and, for once, I don't try to stop her.

"How. Dare. You."

He looks at me over the top of his glasses. "Excuse me, Ms. Flowers?"

"How dare you!" Quivering with rage, I rear up and slam my hooves on the desk. "What right do you have to say that? To condemn her to the Factory? Do you even know her? Know what she's like? She's my sister, Mr. Gale, and you have no idea who you're dealing with."

I suddenly realize I’m screaming at the top of my lungs. I start in again even louder. "Do you know what she's been through? She's scared of her own shadow, for Celestia's sake! Who are you to deny her that patch?" I take a deep breath. "I swear to you, let her in, and she will work the hardest, and the longest, and the proudest of any pony in this camp, and if she doesn't..." I lean in close. "...I'll send her to the Factory myself."

I notice for the first time that Mr. Gale is shaking like a leaf. The poor pony is drenched in sweat, his eyes bulging out of his head. I grit my teeth and reach inside for another boost from Grandma, but it’s gone. I swallow, and do my best to sound intimidating.

"Um...so what do you have to say for yourself, Mr. Gale?"

He slowly sits up straight and, hooves shaking, picks up the file. He speaks quietly, his voice trembling. "I'm sorry, Ms. Flowers, but I really can't do anything. Flight Control has reviewed all these files personally, and I could get fired—or worse—for letting your sister in."

I try to give him a Merriweather Glare, but it doesn’t feel right. Nevertheless, he quails under my gaze.

"I...I can let her attend classes with the others, maybe even get the patch. But nothing official. Nothing official, or Commander Storm Squall will have my hide."

I smile at him. "Thank you very much, Mr. Gale. Fluttershy will be here fifteen minutes early tomorrow morning." I turn and walk out the door, but stop in the doorway. "Oh, and Mr. Gale? The name's Showers. April Showers."

I don't think I've ever enjoyed seeing a pony cringe so much. I kick the door shut behind me and laugh to myself all the way to the airfield.