• Published 30th Jan 2016
  • 409 Views, 4 Comments

A State of Unrest - Story blossom



Things have been calm since the friendship games at Canterlot High, but just as all things must, the peaceful times are coming to an end. Sunset Shimmer has been having nightmares, ones that seemingly spell trouble for CHS.

  • ...
 4
 409

Chapter 3

The café greeted her with the jingle of a bell as Sunset Shimmer entered. Advancing to the line in front of the counter, her eyes flitted over the menu.

“Definitely caffeinated, and I guess some extra sugar couldn’t hurt either,” she thought aloud in a whisper.

“Ya know, I’ve heard the white chocolate cappuccino is pretty delicious,” a voice said smoothly from behind her.

Turning around, Sunset found it to be none other than Flash Century. His face held it’s usual confident yet friendly smirk.

“Thanks for the suggestion, but I was thinking more espresso,” Sunset replied.

“That’s a lot of caffeine this late in the day,” he winked.

“Yeah, well, it doesn’t seem to matter either way. I doubt I’ll be getting any sleep,” she said as she moved forward in the line.

“I heard Mrs. Harshwhinny caught you snoozing in class. I didn’t think you did stuff like that anymore,” Flash said.

Sunset winced at his comment. She had, for the most part, gotten used to the topic of the way she had acted before. The way she saw it, the person she was before was a completely different entity from who she was now, but with the previous nights’ revelations it was a bit of a tender subject.

“I didn’t mean to. I haven’t really been getting much sleep lately and it just so happened that my body decided that then was the right time to try and catch up,” Sunset replied.

“Totally understandable. Even so, Mrs. Harshwhinny can be, well for lack of a better word, harsh,” his attention was then directed to the book Sunset held in her arms, “You haven’t by any chance talked to Twilight lately have you?”

A warm grin formed on her face, “Not recently, but I’m hoping to hear from her soon. Don’t worry,” she winked, “If she says anything about coming for a visit I’ll let you know.”

A blush warmed his cheeks, “Thanks, Sunset. Looks like your next in line,” he pointed.

“Oh,” she focused her attention on Mrs. Cupcake who looked back at her expectantly, “Can I get a white chocolate cappuccino with a shot of espresso, please?”

“Absolutely,” the pink haired lady replied.

“Excellent choice,” Flash boasted.

She laughed as Mrs. Cupcake returned, handing her the coffee she ordered. After paying and exchanging a friendly farewell to Flash Century, Sunset found a seat in the corner of the café.

She sat, placing her backpack on the floor beside her and the leather book on the small table in front of her. It still showed no signs of a response from her friend. Silently, Sunset drank her cappuccino and waited.

After some time, she had finished her coffee and grown more than bored when a buzz caught her attention. Her eyes quickly darted to the book, but only disappointment met her expectations. It was merely a phone call.

“AJ again,” she thought, “guess I should answer her this time.”

“Hello,” she answered.

“Hey Sun, everything alright?” Apple Jack questioned.

“Yeah, sorry AJ. I was taking a nap and just woke up a little bit ago,” Sunset fibbed.

“Well that’s great sugarcube. We were all worried ‘bout you with the whole fallin asleep in class thing,” the country girl sounded relieved. “But how come ya didn’t meet up with us after school?”

“I had some homework to catch up on so I went to the library. I hope you guys didn’t wait up for me,” she replied.

“Only for a bit, then Twi told us ya seemed like you were busy,” AJ informed.

“Good, you can let the girls know I’m alright. I’ll see you tomorrow at school,” she said.

“Okay, see ya,” Apple Jack hung up.

Sunset let out a relieved breath, yet her chest remained tight. Twilight had not yet answered her letter, and she was beginning to grow repentant about lying to her friends. Shoving the book into her back pack rather forcefully, she left the café.

As soon as she stepped foot out of the heated building, every wisp of warmth that surrounded her was stripped away. The sun was setting and streetlights began to light the sidewalk’s path.

Shivering, sunset zipped her leather jacket up and hugged herself to keep whatever heat that remained close. She willed the trek to her apartment building to grow shorter as she trudged down the sidewalk.

After what seemed like hours, she finally entered the lobby of the building. She welcomed the warmth that the heating system brought. Her hands felt dry and had taken on a slightly red shade from the brutal chilly winds.

She rode the elevator to the third floor and walked down the fluorescent lit hallway, stopping at her apartment door. Placing her back pack on the carpeted floor, she searched through it for her keys. An almost hum-like noise grabbed her attention.

“Must be another phone call,” she thought glumly as she retrieved her phone from her pocket.

However, the cell phone showed no signs of life while the buzzing noise continued. A flash of hope sprang over her face.

“Yes!” she exclaimed fairly loud.

She quickly inserted her keys into the lock with still brittle fingers. Quickly closing the door, Sunset jerked the leather tome out of it’s place in her backpack. Her fingers flipped through the pages rapidly in search of the reply. A sudden bout of nervousness crept into her mind.

“What if there’s nothing she can do? Or what if I really am losing it?” she questioned herself. “No, I’m sure there has to be some significance to the nightmares. And in that case, Twilight will be completely willing to help.”

With newfound self-assurance, Sunset eyed the page that held Twilights response.

Dear Sunset,

I’m really sorry I haven’t been able to write you sooner. I have been missing you girls too and considering another visit soon. You were exactly right about the whole royal duties thing, it’s been kind of hectic here lately with Princess Cadence’s soon to arrive foal. I’m sorry to hear about these nightmares you’ve been having. What exactly has been happening in them? I’d be more than happy to help any way I can and I promise to write back as soon as I possibly can.

Love,

Twilight Sparkle

Sunset chewed at her lip. She was overjoyed that Twilight had finally replied, however it was a bit of a disappointment that her royal friend had said nothing of a precise time for a visit.

Placing the book on the coffee table in the center of her small living room, Sunset flopped onto the couch. The caffeine had worn off and she felt even more exhausted than before.

“I guess I’ll just write her what happened,” she thought.

She tried to figure out the best way to explain everything, without sounding totally out of it. Finally, she settled on writing whatever came to her mind first.

Dear Twilight,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been having these nightmares for the past few days and because of them, I’ve been getting little to no sleep. In fact, even when I accidentally fell asleep in class today the same nightmare occurred. I thought for a while that it was just me, but now I’m beginning to think they are something more, maybe even a warning.

It always begins with this figure, a figure I’ve never seen before in real life. The figure seems to be more pony than human, but I use the term pony loosely. It has what resembles a horn, but with holes bored into it and burning green eyes. Throughout the whole nightmare the pony laughs and then there are hundreds of them. They have tattered wings and fangs. They surround me and the shrills of laughter are so overbearing I sink to the floor. The floor is mirror-like and when I see my reflection, I look like the she-demon that I became when I tried to take over the school.

Every night, more of the dream uncovers itself and I don’t think they will stop anytime soon. I really hope you have some idea on how I should proceed.

Thanks,

Sunset Shimmer

Sunset closed the book’s cover and switched on the tv. Out of the corner of her eye, a digital clock showed that it was growing very late. She sighed, and rolled onto her side, eyelids drooping. The glowing light from the television and background noise lulled her to sleep. Her mind let her have a few moments of proper sleep before sucking her into the night’s newly revised version of the reoccurring nightmare.

The same figure appeared before her, drilling pain inducing laughter into her skull. The many other fanged beasts surrounded her and added more noise causing her to sink to the floor once again. Her she-demon form greeted her once more, it’s unnaturally sharp teeth formed a wicked grin and began to laugh as well.

Sunset pounded her fists against the floor in anguish. She wished for all of the noise to stop. Frustrated at it’s continuance, she struck the floor harder, until cracks began to form. Finally, she mirrored floor shattered and Sunset fell. She fell until her body hit the floor and her sleeping eyes shot open.

Her eyes shot around the dark living room. A humming noise still rang through her ears. She laid upon the carpeted floor and grabbed at her side.

“Must’ve fallen off the couch,” she thought.

Pain streamed through the side onto which she had fallen. She winced and made an attempt to rise off of the floor. She grabbed for her phone in the darkness, finally finding it lying on the coffee table beside the leather bound book.

“One in the morning,” she groaned.

She felt stiff having never changed into pajamas or taken a shower. She peeled her jacket off and threw it onto the couch. Staggering into the bathroom, she took a much needed shower and changed into more comfortable clothes. Ringing the water out of her now dampened hair, rushed and loud knocking caused her to jump.

“Who would be here this early?” she thought as she walked towards the door.

She looked through the peephole and saw a hooded figure in the shadowy hallway. She scanned the room for something to defend herself with, only finding a broom. She wielded the broom like a sword and cracked open the door.

“Can I help you?” she asked trying to sound intimidating.

“Sunset?” the figure asked.

“Yeah, who are you?” she asked.

“It’s Princess Twilight. Can I come inside?”

“Twilight?! Of course, come in,” Sunset stammered.

The lavender girl quickly stepped inside and lowered her hood. Spike trotted in behind her. Sunset shut the door behind her new guests and turned to them with a confused facial expression.

“What are you doing here?” Sunset questioned.

“I think the better question is what where you planning on doing with that?” Spike motioned toward the broom that Sunset still held.

“Oh, right,” she returned the makeshift weapon to it’s original place.

“I came as soon as I read your response,” Twilight said. “You were right it’s definitely urgent.”

Sunset gulped, suddenly afraid of what might be going on.

“I’ve never heard of anything like this. I mean there was that one time with the Tantabus but that was because of Princess Luna and the principal Luna of this world doesn’t have magic,” the princess rambled.

“Uh, Twilight,” Spike interrupted.

“Yes?” she looked at him questioningly.

“You might wanna explain everything to Sunset a little slower,” he suggested.

“Right, well to start I’m sorry we’re intruding,” Twilight said earnestly.

“It’s fine. I’m so glad to see you,” she hugged her friend.

“I’m glad to see you too. I think I know who the figure is in your nightmares, but what I don’t know is why she’s haunting you,” a crease formed between Twilight’s brows.

“Who do you think it is?” she asked.

“Queen Chrysalis and the changelings. They attacked Canterlot during my brother’s wedding and almost succeeded in taking over all of Equestria,” Twilight informed.

“But why would she be in my dreams? I’ve never even heard of her before,” Sunset commented.

“I don’t know. Shining Armor and Princess Cadence’s combined magic forced Queen Chrysalis and the changelings out of Canterlot. Nopony has heard anything about them until now, but I think I know how to find out more about these nightmares,” the lavender girl said confidently.

“Really!? How!?” Sunset grew excited.

The pony princess rubbed the back of her neck nervously.

“Well, Princess Luna could enter your dreams once you’ve fallen asleep, she’s done it before with us, but it would require you to return to Equestria for a little while,” Twilight said.

Sunset hugged herself. The thought of returning to her former home had crossed her mind before, but she had never actually taken steps to do so. She let the idea permeate her brain.

“I haven’t been there since I stole your crown. What about Princess Celestia? I haven’t talked to her in ages,” her head hurt at the thought of having to deal with so many past fears.

“It will be okay Sunset, I promise,” Twilight consoled her friend.

Sunset Shimmer took a deep, shaky breath and nodded her head.

“Okay, I’ll do it. If you think Princess Luna can help figure out what these dreams mean, I’ll go,” Sunset agreed.

“Great, we should probably leave as soon as we can. If you’re right about this being a warning, we don’t have time to waste,” she replied.

“A-alright,” Sunset moved to gather her things.

She grabbed her keys and cell phone, shoving them into her jacket pockets as she zipped it up on her torso. Quickly yanking on shoes, she followed Twilight out of the door of her apartment.