• Published 26th Mar 2017
  • 203 Views, 1 Comments

The Rock Wall - newguy3720



A multi-part story about the inner workings of Maud Pie's mind as well as a backstory that uses a lot of elements from Pink Floyd's "The Wall."

  • ...
 1
 203

In the Flesh?

The door creaked open. It was not a pretty sight. One might wonder what the purpose of such a room could have, yet it was clear that it was not meant to be welcoming. In fact, it was as far from welcoming as one could get. It was...cold, in every sense of the word. The air was cool, like a winter day, only no snow fell from the sky. There appeared to be no sign of life. No laughter, no movement, not even a breeze. Colder still were the walls which were made from the hardest stone known to Equestria, and cut so neatly and packed so tightly that not even the sharpest blade could fit between them. With just the slightest touch of a hoof, one could feel the sadness from the walls of the room.

Lining the walls and filling the room were pickaxes. There they stood, neatly in rows upon rows filling the room far into the shadows at the far end. Such an arrangement was unsettling. It was as though the tools were standing in ranks, awaiting a command from a higher power. If there was a hint of life, this was it, albeit not a bright one. With the only source of light coming from the door, it appeared that the room stretched to infinity. However after passing row after row of ominous pickaxes, there came an end to the room.

After the final line of picks stood a wall, not unlike the others in the room. Like those, it was made of the same stone and used the same craftsmanship, but there was something else. On the ground, against the wall, was what at first glance night appear to be a shadowy mess. Yet with some adjustment, one could make out the faint figure of a pony. A pony garbed in in a bluish cloak. A pony who seemed to have succumbed to the room's sadness and given up on life. A pony with a cutie mark shaped like a rock diamond.

"Maud? Wh-what are you doing here?" asked a voice.

The pony lifted its head, and what came next was a sight to behold. Its mane had been cut, from the straight locks it once had to the haphazard, almost bald buzz cut it now had. Its once beautiful eyelashes had been plucked clean. Numerous cuts adorned its face and parts of its body. Between its hooves it clutched a small notebook, which it held tight against its body. All the while tears wear streaming down its face and forming a puddle on the floor.

After a great silence, it spoke in a soft voice: "I'm sorry.

Author's Note:

I'm willing to admit, the first draft was not that good. I felt it tried to much to be a copy (which kind of went against the original intent). Also the ending of the original first chapter was really shoe-horned in (despite me saying I didn't want to shoe-horn it in). Instead of doing my original chapter 1, I decided to do this prologue thingy, and I kept the lyrics in because I thought it was a good closer. I might remove it though.
EDIT: I had to remove the lyrics because I'm not supposed to put copyrighted song lyrics in my stories.