• Published 7th Jun 2012
  • 1,283 Views, 22 Comments

God of the Mind - The Legist



Twilight Sparkle questions her own sanity as she shuts herself into her new apartment.

  • ...
1
 22
 1,283

Prologue

Prologue



"Now don'tcha ferget ‘bout us ya'hear?" Applejack said, engaging Twilight in a quick embrace.

"I'll never forget about you. Any of you. Without you girls, I would have never learned the meaning of friendship!"

"You simply must write us, darling!"

"Yeah, if you totally abandon us that would be so not cool!"

"Girls, girls, calm down. I have a surprise for you!" Twilight stated, waving her hooves in the air. "Princess Celestia herself sent me these!"

Twilight Sparkle led her friends into the Library, the main room suddenly absent of all her personal belongings. In the middle of the floor, there sat a large pile of boxes. Six large ones and six smaller ones. The five mares gasped in delight; they all knew what they must be.

"Computers?" They all gasped in unison.

"Yes! And cell phones!" Twilight cried above the crowd's new enthusiasm. They had all heard the news. It all started when a strange metal object crashed into Equestria's surface years ago. From what they heard, it was roughly the size of a small building, and had the letters "G.O.D." Painted upon its metallic surface. A team of unicorns in Canterlot studied the strange object, bringing about a new age of magic-aided science. These new machines were the pinnacle of modern day science, and were the whole reason Twilight was leaving in the first place.

"Since I'm going to be studying programming, she said it would be best if I got one. Then I asked for some for my friends and well..." Twilight blushed slightly.

"Ah... ah don't believe it, Twi! Thank ya so much!" Applejack hugged Twilight again, for the third time that day.

"Oh, relax girls, it's not like I'm never going to visit! You can even come visit me in Manehatten!"

"I still don't see why you eggheads need to go to college anyways... you are already egg-headed enough to outsmart the five of us!" Rainbow Dash goaded.

"Now, now Rainbow. Twilight is within her full right to do anything she desires, and I believe the pursuit of knowledge to be a most noble endeavor." Rarity piped up with a tear in her eye. "But... please visit us as much as possible my dear."

"You guys... It's not like I'm going to the moon! Plus, with these things, we will be able to talk whenever we want!" Twilight exclaimed, taking a small knife with her magic and using it to slice open one of the 'cell phone' boxes.

The object she produced was a small, metal box. It was five inches long, three inches wide, and only a half-inch deep. It hummed and vibrated as it came to life under her 'magical activation spell'. She repeated the process with the other five boxes and hoofed each of her friends the strange devices.

"I've heard only the nobles of Canterlot get to use this kind of technology..." Rarity squealed, reveling in the possibility that she was on par with nobility.

"Actually, Rarity, almost everypony has one. They have gotten really popular... I wouldnt be surprised if we were the only ponies aroud who didn't get one!"

"Yeah, but I'll bet mine's faster!... How does this piece of junk work, Twilight?" Rainbow Dash asked, balancing the phone on her forehoof.

"It's simple. I already put all of our contact information on it. Just say 'Call: Rainbow Dash' and it will carry out the command!" Twilight said with a large grin as Rainbow's phone hummed on her hoof. "You can also send text messages like this... Text:Rainbow Dash: What's up?"

The phone came to life again, vibrating intensely. She promptly dropped the phone, skittered around a bit and blushed profusely. "What? A lot of ponies are ticklish..."

The six girls shared a hearty laugh, and the pegasus mare's blush continued to grow in intensity. The laughing spell was interrupted when Twilight held up her hoof.

"Sorry to cut it short girls, but I have to leave for the train station in two hours! We still have to set up your computers!"

After multiple expressions of affirmative, the six mares went about town—Twilight levitating, setting up, and teaching everypony how to use their new machines. Applejack was having problems connecting to the network, and Pinkie pie spent more than just a few minutes playing around with the webcam. After the two hours were up, her five friends escorted her to the train station; the knowledge that she was leaving weighed heavily on their hearts.

"I'll um… miss you, Twilight... if that's okay..."

"We will have to throw you a party when you come back!"

"Ah'm gunna miss ya, Twi."

"Who's the egghead that will help us with all our problems now...?"

"I can't wait to see you again, darling."

After she was done hugging her friends, the lavender mare said her goodbyes and levitated her computer, and bags, onto the train. She shed a single tear as she boarded the train, not knowing when she would get to see her friends again.