• Published 28th Aug 2015
  • 272 Views, 2 Comments

What Will Today's Adventure Be? - Gojira007



A collection of short stories written for the "Thirty Minute Pony Stories" group.

  • ...
 2
 272

"To Grasp Happiness" (Drama)

Princess Cadance had long heard rumors of the insidious nature of Changeling magic. How it was not strong enough to control the mind directly, but instead needed to worm its way inside under the guise of a familiar and trusted face. Looking at Shining Armor’s glossy, worn-out eyes, his empty gaze, the young alicorn knew the stories had understated just how heartbreaking…how cruel such magic truly was. It was if the life had been sucked right out of the noble stallion, leaving behind only a husk to mock his memory.

“No," she told herself resolutely, "He’s not gone. He cannot be gone.”

The tears were coming to her eyes, the fear gnawing at her rapidly-beating heart. But if the young alicorn had learned one thing under Celestia’s tutelage, it was that there were all kinds of magic in the world. She had a magic of her own, and she had to believe its power was greater than the evil Chrysalis had woven. “You’re still in there,” she thought as she traced her hoof gently along Shining’s cheek, “The Shining Armor I knew…the Shining Armor I fell in love with…is still in there. You’re just dreaming. So please…wake up. Wake up and remember…”

Cadance then wrapped Shining in a warm embrace, willing the pounding of her heart to fall into rhythm, focusing herself for one last Spell. One last hope to save her fiancee…to save all of Canterlot. And as a single glimmering heart floated out from the tip of the Princess’ horn, she hoped with all her strength it would work.

The spell drifted softly through the air, its glow enveloping Shining Armor’s eyes, filling his dulled vision….

The Royal Gardens were filled with laughter as two Ponies raced through its delicate grass. Normally, they were a dignified Soldier in Training and a Princess To Be, shoulders held straight to carry the heavy responsibilities their positions entailed, but today they were simply a filly and colt in love. "C'mon, Shining, you’re never going to make the cut for the Royal Guard with that pace!“ Cadance teased with a playful laugh.

"Is that a challenge, Cadie?” the white stallion asked right back, a smirk on his face as he followed after the Princess. "‘Cuz I’ll be honest: this is the speed I use when I’m playing Tag with Twilie. If you want to see what I can really do…!“

"Don’t hold back on my account!” she replied in a sing-song voice, “I’m always up for a good surprise!”

And that was all the answer Shining needed. Before she even knew what was happening, Cadance found herself tackled by a bolt of white and blue. Soon, she and Shining were tumbling along the hills in an awkward little embrace, neither one having lost their laughter for even a moment.

At last, their rolling stopped, and they lay upon the ground side by side, breathless. “Well well,” Cadance panted, “looks like…you really have been working out….”

The stallion let his muzzle rest atop hers, smiling in that somewhat-awkward-but-entirely-sincere way of his. "Like you said,“ he panted back, "the Royal Guard only takes the best.”

They drew just a little closer. "Thankfully,“ Shining said, voice breaking more than a little as he tried to push the words through before the courage left him, "I’ve got really good inspiration.”

Her wings folded around him then. Their legs locked. And for the first time, the feelings that had been building up in both over the years since they had met came crashing together into a kiss as deep and powerful as both could make it.


Cadance felt her world light up as she saw Shining move again, saw the life return to his eyes. Heard that wonderfully awkward crack in his voice as he asked, “Is the wedding over…?”

It had worked. Against all odds…when she had needed him most…her Shining Armor had come back. So even as Chrysalis came stomping over, baring her fangs threateningly, Cadance’s heart grew calm, its beats growing slow and rhythmic, because she knew. Looking at Shining Armor…feeling her love of him flow renewed through her body…she knew the magic of the Changelings, no matter how dark and deceptive, could not stand against the magic she carried inside of herself.

The magic of a heart full of Love.

Author's Note:

Originally published on April 24th, 2013, for the Prompt "Two ponies kiss, and all is right with the world."