• Published 5th Aug 2015
  • 615 Views, 10 Comments

Starve - FaelaArts



Celestia and Luna have been sucked into a strange portal, and Twilight must enter to find them.

  • ...
3
 10
 615

Chapter 2

His head rose from his half-finished craft, a huffing sound echoing in the air. Finishing up, he examined the umbrella, and then stored it in one of his chests. Opening another chest, he pulled out a synthetic bush with red berries on it. Tossing four logs onto the fire, he tossed the final traps around the bait.

Easing his way into the center, he pulled the bush over his head, curling up inside it. Listening closely, he waited as the huffing stopped, and the padding of four creatures could be heard. Running toward the bush, they lost the sent, and got distracted by the bait. A few traps had been sprung, earning them minor injuries.

Finished with the bait, they huffed, looking for their prey. One gave a short bark, and the four dashed off toward the forest. Once more, the traps activated, managing to take down one and injure two others. Once the sounds had vanished, he stood up, and pulled off the berry bush. Walking back to his camp, he dropped his backpack, putting out a log suit and a helmet.

Jumping slightly, his eyes widened as a cry of surprise rang out, and he looked to the forest. Pulling his spear out of the ground, he narrowed his eyes. Picking up a bone with an eye on the top, he pulled out his darts. Finished that, he quickly broke into a jog, picking up a boomerang from the dirt on his way into the forest.


“These trees are really strange…” Examining one, Twilight noticed how it seemed almost exactly the same as the majority of the trees. There were smaller trees that seemed different, and a few dead ones, but even they seemed a little too...perfect. Glancing to the others, she mentally sighed as Rarity tried to keep her boots clean.

“You hear that huffing?” Tilting her head, Rainbow Dash began to fly higher into the air, looking for the source of the sound. It seemed to echo around them with no discernable direction. Giving up, she glided back down, giving a shrug.

“At least we can breath,” commented Applejack, glancing toward the setting sun. The huffing ceased, and all looked around in confusion, before discarding it. Spike pulled out a blank piece of paper, giving Twilight a quick poke.

“Oh, right. ‘Dear Princess Celestia, if you receive this, please contact us ASAP.’ That should do it Spike.” Smiling, Twilight watched as Spike tried sending it. Both were hopeful while it burned up, and gave deflated sighs as it returned within seconds. Placing it in Twilight’s saddlebags, Spike looked toward the woods.

“Whargh!” Crying out, Rarity brought the party’s attention to the strange dog-like creatures running toward them. Throwing up a shield, Twilight grunted as the hounds tore through it like butter, and fired off a knockback spell. Leaping out of the way, all of them got a close-up look at the sharp, oozing teeth.

Separating, the three dogs went after the earthbound ponies, Rainbow Dash instinctively flying into the air. Diving down, she distracted the dog on Twilight, noticing that it seemed injured, before flying out of bite range, heading for Rarity. The hound barked, and turned to face her, forcing her to glide sharpy.

“Darn it,” she swore, feeling the weird wind currents send her slamming into the ground. Picking herself up, she jumped, losing a few hairs to the hounds. Applejack tried to get a hit off on her hound, but was unable to find an opening. Struggling as they were, they didn’t even notice the strange figure watching them from the treeline.

One of the hounds barked, and turned, charging straight for Twilight. Leaping out of the way, she followed its charge, finally noticing the figure at the treeline. Diving forward, the figure aimed a spear, impaling the hound just as it hit him. Crumbling to nothing, Twilight briefly noticed a small piece of meat on the ground.

The creature was somewhat simian in appearance, but wearing clothes and a lot taller than any ape she had seen. Watching him, she didn’t even notice the other hound coming for her. Kicking it, Rainbow Dash sent it sliding into the path of the creature, who pulled out a pipe and blew a dart into the hound.

Leaping up, the hound dashed toward the creature, but was halted by a second dart, falling asleep. Turning, the creature threw a boomerang at the third hound, gaining its attention. The boomerang shattered on it’s return, and the creature pulled out a pickaxe. Raising it, the creature swung down, impaling the hound into the ground.

The second hound woke back up, and dove toward the creature. Seemingly sensing it, the creature dove forward, the hound giving chase. Pivoting, the creature lifted his spear off the ground, raising his other arm to block the second hound. His arm absorbing the damage, he slid back, and flipped the spear around, and sliced at the hound. It gave a whimper, and then crumbled to dust as the others did.

Finished that, the creature picked up the three pieces of meat, his pickaxe, and whistled into the woods, pulling out an eye bone. An eyeless ball of fur bounced into the clearing, and the creature pulled out some cloth covered in honey from its mouth. Wrapping his arm up, he finally rose, and regarded the group. Grouping back up, Rainbow Dash and Rarity looked to Twilight.

“Um, hello?” Giving a smile, Twilight waved to the creature, who was still standing there. After a few moments, it waved back, and looked toward the sunset.

"" Speaking, the creature sounded like a trumpet. Confusion on their faces, the creature paused, and then began to walk. The bouncing fur followed behind, and they all shared a glance.

“Well, it’s the best lead we’ve got?” Trotting after the creature, Twilight glanced back to her friends, and nodded once at Spike. Trying to send the letter, it once more failed, and her ears flopped down. Sighing, she turned to watch the creature.