• Published 29th Jul 2015
  • 428 Views, 3 Comments

Hidden Potential - Volt712



Waking up in a humanized Equestria, the Main 6 and I embark on an adventure to figure out why I ended up there and we stumble upon something bigger than we could ever imagine...

  • ...
11
 3
 428

1. Same Old Stuff

I was always life's punching bag. Ever since middle school, everyone would bully me just because of the fact that I was on the nerdy side of society. However, I stand my ground and fight back. If there's someone else being bullied, I step in and tell the asshole to get lost. I spend my time watching anime, playing video games, researching scientific theories, and I pretty much never go outside. My mother always told me to go outside and get active, but I didn't really see the point in doing so. I wasn't overweight at all. I was pretty slim. My life was boring, sure. But it had its perks. I learned many skills over the course of my life, and one of them comes in handy a lot more times than you would think. Comebacks. The people at school who bullied me were always kind of stupid. They would always try to put me down with insults at first. I'd laugh it off and somehow redirect it at them. And that's what leads to the physical bullying. The bullies would get angry because I had a comeback so they would try to punch me while being enraged. That never turns out good for them, because I'd step aside and they'd run head first into a solid brick wall. The principal saw the bully lying on the floor holding his head in pain, and gave me detentions even though I never started the fight. However, the staff there were idiotic and I was always able to slip out unnoticed. And then there was tech. I could figure out how an electronic device like a phone, or a computer worked. I picked up these skills because I was on my laptop a lot when I was at home.

My life at home as a teenager wasn't so great for a while. My father was a complete and total dick. He always came home drunk and started arguments with my mother. And since he did Truck Driving for a living, he would always tell my mom that he was hauling some stuff across the country when he was really in the bar down the street, flirting with some other woman. He even cheated on my mom and told her it was because 'she cheated first.' I knew for a fact that wasn't true because my mother had always tried to set things right at home. She always took care of me and helped me whenever I needed help. My father never did that. Not even once. And that wasn't all. Whenever I played a video game or watched a funny Youtube video, he would say things like:' You actually watch this shit?' and 'This is fucking stupid.' Finally, we had enough of his bullshit and kicked him out. I haven't seen him ever since. After he left, he still found ways to harass us. He started driving by and stalked our house. My mom would get messages from him and they were absolutely awful. The messages he sent were so hurtful and unforgivable. One day he went too far. He drove by our house and gave us the finger and I finally snapped. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and called him.

"Oh hey, Nick!" He answered happily as if nothing even happened. I went off.

I started throwing curses and insults at him. He must have been shocked because he didn't say a word after I was done. I wasn't surprised that he was speechless. I just let out all of the anger I had bottled up inside, and directed it right at my own father. I was even shocked at myself. I never would have expected myself to be so brutal to one person.

"Now, do yourself a favor and die. You don't belong in this world." I said firmly and hung up the phone. I was still angry. Acting on impulse, I turned around and punched a hole through my wall. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

It was the day before my 17th birthday. The weather was hot and sunny and I decided to play video games for the day, like always. As the day passed quickly, I became increasingly tired. 12 AM rolled around and I decided that I should go to bed. I turned off my TV and my PS4 and got up off my chair. As I was slipping into my pajamas, I wondered... 'What am I going to do with my life? Some tell me I should be a counselor. Others say I should be a game designer. But It's hard to choose... I would love to do both of those things. I always want to help people with their problems, but then again, video games are my passion. I guess I'll have to start looking into the two occupations.' I jumped into bed. 'Why can't we live in a perfect world...?'



I'll never forget what had happened that night. It was like a dream, but it felt real. I was in a pitch black room and the only visible object in it was a white button. I walked up to the button and, upon closer inspection, I saw that it had the main six's cutie marks from My Little Pony on it. I was instantly confused. "What the hell..." I thought to myself. I used to watch 'My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic' a lot, but got bored of it and just dropped it completely. What were their cutie marks doing in my dream? I reached my arm forward and reluctantly pushed the button. The button lit up and an extremely bright flash burned my eyes. I had to cover them for a couple seconds. When I uncovered my eyes there was what looked like a mirror in front of me, but instead of seeing my reflection, I saw the vast emptiness of space. I touched the mirror with my index finger and the mirror rippled like water. I stood there, watching it for a couple of minutes. After giving it much thought, I made the best decision of my life.

I entered the mirror.