• Published 26th Jun 2015
  • 239 Views, 3 Comments

Best Sister - SteadyGait



While preparing for another day of crusading, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom get in an argument over which of them has the better sister. However, not every argument can have a clear outcome, even if such an outcome is clear to each participant..

  • ...
 3
 239

A Polite Discussion

"Why isn't Scootaloo here yet? She said she could make it right after class," the tiny yellow pony asked her squeaky companion.

"Maybe something came up? I'm sure she will be here soon," Sweetie Belle answered.

The two fillies sat in their usual spots in the clubhouse, ready for another day of questing for their cutie marks. They were oblivious to the charred floorboards and slight stench that still persisted from their previous day's adventure of trying to cook s'mores with magic and alchemy.

Apple Bloom sat up and said, "Well, maybe we can plan what ta do today while we wait."

Sweetie Belle scratched her chin and said, "I suppose. What haven't we done yet?"

"Ya know, at the rodeo, ah got to see a fire breather! Wouldn’t that be an awesome way to get a cutie mark?"

Sweetie Belle looked slightly doubtful, possibly remembering the previous day. "That sounds... interesting..."

"Ah'm sure it would be something Scootaloo would want to do! Plus, that might impress Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon - ah sure would like to get them off our backs for a bit." After a pause, she continued, "Well, ah don't think it’s gonna be bad. We could start by asking Spike what he does!"

"Spike is a dragon. I don't think we could do what he does to breath fire," Sweetie replied. She glanced out the window for their friend, but nopony was coming down the path.

"Well, maybe he will know somepony else we could learn from... Ya know, we might be able to track down that pony at the rodeo! I'm sure we could figure out whatever he is doing, or ask him to show us!"

"But how would we go about that? We sure won't be allowed to go out of Ponyville on our own, not after last week."

Apple Bloom's expression brightened. "Don't worry about it! Ma sister goes to Appleloosa fairly often. She’s always happy to have me tag along. Ah'm sure ah can convince her to let us all go."

Sweetie Belle said, "My sister wasn't happy about me going last time, not when she learned about Trouble Shoes. I don't want to sit through another lecture about staying safe and not wandering out when dangerous ponies are around." Especially, she thought, when I had agreed with her in the first place. She still felt guilty about that incident despite everything working out fine.

"Forgot about that. Ah'm just glad my sister just left it at cleaning up after him. She was pretty alright with all of us afterwards," the yellow pony said.

Sweetie Belle nodded in agreement. "I know I was nervous about going along to find him, but I still wish Rarity didn't need to rub it in after all of that."

Apple Bloom, looking slightly smug, drawled "Well, maybe my sister's just better than yours at this kind of thing."

Sweetie Belle's face reddened in anger. "N-no! My sister is the best sister in the world!" she stated firmly.

The two ponies faced each other. Young as they were, differences of opinion between them were usually minor, likely to be resolved with a shrug or a reluctant acceptance. This time, however, each filly had a strong opinion on the matter.

"Yeah?” stated Apple Bloom coolly. “Ya totally wanted to be sisters with sis instead of Rarity not that long ago,"

The white filly suddenly remembered the events of the previous Sister Hooves Social. She started to defend herself. "Well, she's gotten a lot better since then. Besides, at least she trusts me enough to leave me at the shop for more than 5 minutes without checking on me. We actually had to rescue you from your sister!"

Apple Bloom’s face scrunched at her words. "She only did that once, she is usually fine about me doing my own thing. But at least ma sis lets me help her with the farm. I don't see Rarity letting you help her make dresses."

"Hmph," Sweetie replied, looking away. She paused as she considered the room, built by the apple family for their use. Though the room was quite functional and easy to repair, it did lack the touch that only her sister could bring. "My sister can make beautiful things. It takes all her creativity and skill to do so. I really want to help her... but I do understand that sometimes she can do things I can't imagine. And she helps me organize things sometimes."

"But Ah can actually help ma sister with useful things! Applejack grows food for so many ponies! Ah don't see your sister helping people like that."

"Does your sister help people express themselves?” Standing on her hooves, Sweetie Belle glared at her friend. “My sister can take a look at a pony, anypony, and find a dress or suit that will put their best side on display. Do you realize how important is for a singer or politician to send a message with their very appearance? My sister can help people be heard and express their inner beauty!"

Apple Bloom looked unconvinced. "Yeah, but my sis-"

"And don't think for a second that she doesn't help people! Your sister might grow the apples, but my sister is the Element of Generosity, and she never lets anypony go hungry! She makes sure everyone gets food on their plates. She makes ponies the clothes the need, even if they can't pay the full price."

Apple Bloom sighed. "Ok, yeah, your sister does important work. Still, Applejack does her best to support those around her. She’s always welcoming, always warm, always sincere. She provides anypony ah friend that they can rely on. Ah pony who will never break her word. Ah pony honest to the core."

The two friends looked at each other, considering what they had discussed. Certain as they had been before this conversation, which sister was better was not going to be an easy question to answer.

"Ya know, ah guess both our sisters are quite awesome ponies. Together they must be the best sisters in the world..." stated Apple Bloom quietly. Sweetie Belle nodded in agreement. "Seems almost silly to compare them... They each are the best in their own areas."

They both looked to the floor, considering the implications. Their musings were interrupted with a loud bang as the door flew open, causing both ponies to sit up in alarm. Framed in the doorway, an orange pegasus was proudly shouting, "I ran into Rainbow Dash on the way here, and oh you won't believe this, but she was totally impressed when I did a flip on my scooter! She said that she didn't know anypony who could do that! Isn't this awesome?" She paused, finally taking a look at the two others in the room, who were silently staring at her. Apple Bloom sorted out the rapid subject change first. "That sounds real swell, Scoots! That what held ya up?"

"Yeah, she and I got into a conversation about possibly having me tag along with her to the next Wonderbolt's performance. I'll actually get to go with her to Cloudsdale! She said she could fly me up there and show me around!"

"That’s really cool! Glad to hear you're planning stuff with your big sis," said Sweetie Belle.

Scootaloo looked around, saying "Yeah, I am definitely looking forward to it . But lets hurry up and do some crusading - you two have any ideas?"

"We were thinking of a few, but then got sidetracked into a discussion."

"What about?"

Sweetie Belle started, "We got into a discussion about which of us had a better big sister."

"We all kinda decided that we couldn't compare them, they’re just better at different things," Apple Bloom added.

"What?"

"See, ma sister is always honest and supportive, but Rarity is always generous and supportive in a different way. Applejack grows food for so many ponies, but Rarity gives ponies a way to better themselves. They are just really good at different things."

Scootaloo frowned. "But that's no fun - one of them has to be better than the other - this could even be a competition between them!"

"What do you mean?" inquired Sweetie.

"Well, Applejack and Rainbow Dash settled which one was the most athletic through that Iron Pony competition, right?" While Apple Bloom looked rebellious at those words, Sweetie Belle nodded. Scootaloo continued, "We could do the same thing, except see which one is the better pony overall! I'm sure we can come up with some skills that can determine which is better!"

Apple Bloom spoke up. "Ah don't think they ever really decided which is more athletic in that competition - and besides, ah don't see Rarity sitting down with Applejack to do some competition."

"Well, do they have to know they going against each other?" asked Sweetie Belle. When the two other ponies looked confused, she continued, "We’re the ones who want to know which pony is better. I'm sure we could ask them questions individually and compare them. Rarity wouldn't mind answering a few questions!"

"All right, but even if we question them one at ah time, what kind of questions would let us know which is the better pony? Ah certainly haven't been able to come up with any."

Scootaloo said, "I'm sure we can come up with something! I've got tons of ideas! We should totally do this, get our cutie marks in... interviewing!"

Sweetie Belle laughed, and said, "That could work! What do you think an interview cutie mark looks like?”

Apple Bloom sighed, "Ah guess I don't see anything wrong with it, so long as we get good questions..."

"Ok, then, how about this..."